Duke4.net Forums: BUILD Construction Standards and Scale - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BUILD Construction Standards and Scale

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Well after more than a decade I finally finished the BUILD Scale document.
It has a Generic Scale section and some BUILD Standard Construction measurements based on PGUP/PGDWN Key Presses, very helpful for those who wonder whats a good start.
I haven't tested all BUILD Games but measurements are close for them all, I'll probably add to the document as I test more games in the editor and what not.
So basically its for Duke3D, but I placed the formulas in it so other build games can be added latter.

http://dukertcm.com/...ild-scales.html

If you have any tips or standards you use or any other comments on this document., please post them, for any Build Game.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Cool! Note that other BUILD games use a different scale than Duke. The same length/size values appear smaller in SW, Blood, and RR, than Duke, to allow for more detailed sprites. ProAsm mentioned something specific about SW's scale in the documentation of Lo Nukem.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Thanks for that. and thanks for the valuable information. I'll work in that text in when I find out more.

It looks like ProAsm made a special resizing program to help convert the maps from duke to SW...

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Wow! ... Did you put all that together by yourself? Nice work Corv.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

The scale I did, the Construction Standards I had a few references to go with from a very old faq and very old forum posts and notes I made. I had to make maps to get the actual sizes and stuff.

It really was a pain to make, until recently when I found an easier way to formulate things. Now I'm working on WH2 to see where that leads me.
Probably won't have inches and feet listed for the other games like SW and RR but by pixel height, which seems to make more sense, at least in the long run it does.
Build Units I placed in the document but, not sure really how practical they are when building a map, maybe just better for figuring the scale out.

It's very time consuming, but hopefully I'll be able to streamline the creation of figures and note them in the doc and make it easier for each game I test.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I further refined Duke's height, hes actually 10.75z key presses high. (thanks to dos mapster for the finer measurements).
Thus the generic scale changed slightly.

Heres a Height map attached. I believe some of the mentioned dimensions in the text therefore in the map where based on an old faq by Klaus.
Its for mappers to get there heights right.
[attachment=8850:height.zip]

This post has been edited by Corvin: 22 December 2014 - 04:36 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options