Duke4.net Forums: Using TROR in classic mode - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using TROR in classic mode

User is offline   Perro Seco 

I made this simple bridge only to test TROR, but lot of errors appears. I'm doing something wrong or the TROR effect can't render the area?

Posted Image

PS: I tested it in classic mode, my computer doesn't support polymer.

Attached File  truerror.zip (1.37K)
Number of downloads: 127

This post has been edited by Perro Seco: 18 December 2014 - 04:15 PM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

No TROR without polymer. Life is full of pain, son.

View PostArtem Nevinchany, on 18 December 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

I found a way to fix it. :)

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  tror.zip (1.49K)
    Number of downloads: 112

• Senior Artist at TGK

No, you did not.

Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostArtem Nevinchany, on 18 December 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

I'm afraid you're wrong there son. Classic can pull off some pretty decent TROR, it's mainly a matter of avoiding individual TROR sectors having convex shapes, as discussed on the wiki.

The map looks fine to me in classic, maybe you're looking at it in polymost? Now polymost really is a mess when it comes to TROR, although you can do a little bit with it as seen in my DNF DLC map. Once again I put a few limitations on the wiki.

Perro Seco I'd advise against making the TROR surfaces parallaxed, since that may create unforeseen problems. (Press i in 3D mode so you see the black TROR texture, then press p on both the top and bottom of all TROR sectors).

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMicky C, on 19 December 2014 - 03:00 AM, said:

I'm afraid you're wrong there son. Classic can pull off some pretty decent TROR, it's mainly a matter of avoiding individual TROR sectors having convex shapes, as discussed on the wiki.

The map looks fine to me in classic, maybe you're looking at it in polymost? Now polymost really is a mess when it comes to TROR, although you can do a little bit with it as seen in my DNF DLC map. Once again I put a few limitations on the wiki.

Oh, renders... Right, I am looking in polymost.

View PostMicky C, on 19 December 2014 - 03:00 AM, said:

Perro Seco I'd advise against making the TROR surfaces parallaxed, since that may create unforeseen problems. (Press i in 3D mode so you see the black TROR texture, then press p on both the top and bottom of all TROR sectors).

What's the difference between parallaxed and normal TROR texture? I parallaxed it to avoid problems with the "ifoutside" command.

By the way, thank you for your TROR guide, it helped me a lot except some examples I don't understand very well (I'm from Spain, my English level is not very good). Can you upload some example maps to the guide? They will be very useful.

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostPerro Seco, on 19 December 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

What's the difference between parallaxed and normal TROR texture? I parallaxed it to avoid problems with the "ifoutside" command.

By the way, thank you for your TROR guide, it helped me a lot except some examples I don't understand very well (I'm from Spain, my English level is not very good). Can you upload some example maps to the guide? They will be very useful.

Try to open the console in Mapster and type set_rendermode 0 and it should looks fine. I had the same problem with my AMC TC - map and didnĀ“t noticed that I was using polymost instead of classic mode.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

If it is not, that should be hard-coded in Eduke32.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 19 December 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

If it is not, that should be hard-coded in Eduke32.

Do you mean that ifoutside doesn't check the ceiling of the top of the TROR bunch, only of the local sector?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'd wait for Perro Seco's response of course, but that's likely the case since I remember a problem related to the spider enemies in WGR2 which would put a web to the top of the TROR sector to climb up, even though the spider was 'outside' and shouldn't be making any webs.

Perro Seco, while technically there's nothing wrong with it, the eduke devs generally advise against making TROR surfaces parallaxed in case there's some change in the future that potentially makes look buggy. It's simply not supported.
I can't really think of any examples to add to the wiki other than the ones already there. Sure there's a much wider variety of stuff that can be done, but they'd only use the techniques that are already illustrated in the examples.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I know ur error. You made a sky in your TROR.

If you press "P" making a sky in your TROR it will make like you shown in the pic and downloaded tror.map file.
We don't do sky in TROR (textures).
TROR works in non polymer mode but more limited and more prone to be buggy (depending)

AMC TC has some TROR and is considered classic mode.
My mod has lots of TROR etc is considered polymost mode.
Polymost mode is pretty same to classic mode if I am not wrong for TROR behavior.

And other nonpolymer maps that uses TROR works.

TROR is more "limited" in non polymer mode.
Means if you make complex TROR you will get "hom" black lines, and like the pic you posted or similar.

The drawback.
When we make multi TROR sometimes we get a thing that you can see "sprites through the walls" from the neighbouring TROR.
Like you can see the content of the other TROR sector from its neighboring TROR. Does that when TROR is/are in visual range from its neighboring TROR.

I have ways to "outsmart" it.

I put sprites "walls" to hide the bug.
Also some other adaptations to "hide" the bugs.
Example.
Posted Image

But for more complicated ones. I use different methods.
Made a clip about hiding sprites in more "complicated TROR"

PS
Complicated, convex TROR can be buggy no matter what you do.
you can reduce but not eliminating it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options