Duke4.net Forums: Duke Xtreme: Megaton Edition - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Xtreme: Megaton Edition  "Optimized campaign maps for Megaton Edition"

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Duke Xtreme: Reloaded - Optimized Campaign Maps for Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition

Screenshots:

Posted Image
Posted Image

This is something I've been working on for the past few nights. I went through all of the Duke Xtreme single player maps and set them up for multiplayer for Megaton Edition. I made some other, small fixes and improvements on the side, too.

Full Version (Recommended) (Updated: February 15, 2015)

Lite Version (Updated: February 15, 2015)

The "README.txt" file tells you everything you need to know about installing Duke Xtreme and the maps. I included the CON files found on The Official Add-on Installation Guide. I'm pretty sure I didn't give any bad instructions, but if anything can be corrected for the better, let me know. It seems to be functioning in Megaton Edition as it is, though, minus the message of a missing sound(s).

Merry Early Christmas and a Happy Duke Year! :)

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 15 February 2015 - 10:24 AM

Xtreme Gibbing. on the enemies. haha. i'm not sure bout the missing sound thing but, i think it might be from the Gorilla. but i'm not 100% certain cause i myself haven't played Xtreme fully

btw. i HATE the Cobra Snake

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 16 December 2014 - 04:15 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm not too familiar with Duke Xtreme, but judging from the screenshots the maps look awful, just awful.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I tried to play. The first map was already so bad that I just couldn't bear it for longer than five minutes. Besides that, some maps seem to be quite bugged, elevators not working etc.

View PostMicky C, on 16 December 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

I'm not too familiar with Duke Xtreme, but judging from the screenshots the maps look awful, just awful.

yeah. i never heard of Duke Xtreme till long ago when i was given a copy of the game. and yeah, the maps are really like, well made like maps. not the best maps on the block. hell, 1 of them had an issue with a keycard slot or something. i do know that this is 1 Duke game that has 2 new enemies in the Cobra Snake and the Gorilla Commander

View PostMicky C, on 16 December 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

Indeed, they are. Oh well, it can give me something to do whenever I have spare time. Visually speaking, I've already improved a few things throughout the maps. The maps would need major overhauls to make them look good, though, but I can do what I can to improve what's there whenever I have the chance to.

View PostNightFright, on 16 December 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

I tried to play. The first map was already so bad that I just couldn't bear it for longer than five minutes. Besides that, some maps seem to be quite bugged, elevators not working etc.

Did you find elevator problems in my edited maps or are you talking about the original maps? If you're talking about the original maps, then yeah, there was one keycard elevator in a map that wouldn't function, but I fixed it. I'm going to try to play through it all later to check for more problems, but I can confirm that the maps are less buggy now than they were. I'm 99.9% certain that you can now play through the whole thing without any obstacles.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 16 December 2014 - 06:35 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I was referring to the original maps. It's highly likely you are referring to the exact same problem I mentioned.

One way or the other, as honorable as such fixing efforts are, I know it from my own little project to remove the worst Duke!Zone II issues: Even if the maps are flawless after you are done with reviewing them, they remain shitty by design. And the only thing that is "extreme" about Duke Xtreme is the extremely bad map design. Besides that snake monster being unfairly strong. xD

I don't want to say it's a waste of time to do these fixes, but just bear in mind that this addon is and remains one of the worst that has ever been sold, and the world would be a better place if Xtreme had never ever seen the light of day. :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 December 2014 - 07:06 AM

Well, I agree with you. I thought the level design in Caribbean, D.C., and NW wasn't that good, but Duke Xtreme makes those expansions look amazing.

I don't mind fixing the maps up. I know there have been a few people who have wanted to play the other expansions in Megaton, so this will give them the opportunity to play another one.

As for the snake, I believe playing with other players will give anyone who plays an advantage over it. Not only that, but weaponry and ammo will be plentiful. It should make playing the expansion a little more tolerable.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I got Xtreme back in the day. Acquired a new copy a couple years ago. I don't remember anything about the maps, but it was the other modifications it made to the game that were cool.

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

Edit message: wasn't right of me to say that

This post has been edited by Duke64 Galactic Alliance: 21 December 2014 - 06:52 AM

View PostNightFright, on 16 December 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

I tried to play. The first map was already so bad that I just couldn't bear it for longer than five minutes.

Posted Image
Posted Image

It takes about 10 minutes to complete now. Well, that's how long it took me. It took Mr. Nukem Roses. 13 minutes. Yeah, the level structure is still crappy, but I enjoy it more now than before. You can't just run straight to the nuke button anymore. I haven't updated my pack with it yet because it still needs a little more work.

I was trying to make up my mind whether or not to have two separate packs. One pack that just contains plain, multiplayer-functional maps and another pack that contains maps with more of these visual and gameplay improvements. I don't plan on taking the improvements this far in all of the maps, though. Not all of them look/play as horrible as this one did. I think I'll come up with separate packs anyway, in case anyone enjoys all of the misaligned textures and other problems. :)

• Steven Shitlord

This post has been edited by Duke64 Galactic Alliance: 20 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

How about Duke Xtreme: Not a Pile of Shit Edition?

• Steven Shitlord

The eps is fun but if someone is going to edited it for megaton or eduke32 it has to be right.

This post has been edited by Duke64 Galactic Alliance: 20 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I just think even if it's bad quality it shouldn't be touched I know you mean for the best but I don't know this is someone else's work and well sure it was bad as stated above but that doesn't mean you have to change it because someone says there bad. Another thing is i think Duke it out in DC had some pretty decent quality can't compare to this thing. But either way this is one those situations is what it is people would still play it reguarless but i see you say you make both versions I would probably play how it was made honestly.

View PostDuke64, on 20 December 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

I just think even if it's bad quality it shouldn't be touched I know you mean for the best but I don't know this is someone else's work and well sure it was bad as stated above but that doesn't mean you have to change it because someone says there bad. Another thing is i think Duke it out in DC had some pretty decent quality can't compare to this thing. But either way this is one those situations is what it is people would still play it reguarless but i see you say you make both versions I would probably play how it was made honestly.

Well, I'm not claiming ownership of the maps as I state in the readme file, and I'm not improving the maps because someone said they're bad. I'm improving them because they're bad to the point that nobody is likely to want to play them. Not all of the maps look/play bad, though. A few maps look decent and I don't plan on doing much to those beyond aligning textures and small things. I'm going to target maps like that first map the most. This is an optional pack if people want to play it with these changes. They don't have to. Personally, I don't see anyone wanting to play the expansion pack without something being done to better it. Yeah, someone who's never played it before might be curious to try it, but I doubt they would enjoy it even beyond the first, unedited map. I didn't even enjoy it much when I played through the whole first episode in Coop, and I can be a very tolerable person.

Anyway, you'll find two download links in the first post now. I'm just going to call both packs Duke Xtreme: Reloaded. The second download link is the lite version. If you want to play the maps more like they originally were to begin with, that pack is for you. I won't be making anymore changes to that pack unless something serious needs to be fixed. I'm going to focus on the full version (first download link) now. Speaking of it, I updated it with the revamped Convention map that I showed above in the screenshots.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 20 December 2014 - 11:32 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I'd honestly like to see a "Xtreme Map Pack" (throwing that around loosely) that does a better job using the Xtreme weapons and enemies and maybe base it off of the names used from the maps or maybe improving the geometry of the maps because most of the maps were downloaded from the internet anyway (Just look at the txt files and see if it mentions Sunstorm Interactive or not).

View PostLunick, on 21 December 2014 - 03:15 AM, said:

...or maybe improving the geometry of the maps because most of the maps were downloaded from the internet anyway (Just look at the txt files and see if it mentions Sunstorm Interactive or not).

I did to some extent in a few places in the first map. There's really no point in changing it too much. Might as well build brand new maps, like you said, rather than do that. I made the most of that first map, though. I thought it played great when I played it again earlier. I was able to make it all the way through it without struggling to survive. Adding just the right amount of pickups evenly throughout the map made a big difference. I'd say it will play pretty well in Dukematch, too.

P.S. Watching your Duke Xtreme gameplay videos on YouTube while working on these maps helped me out quite a bit. :)

User is offline   Lunick 

You should have posted a picture with the main menu image you included. I think you got the background image pretty accurate. For the Xtreme text, did you touch up the box art or do you actually know the font for it?

Yeah, I was planning on showing it. Well, the "DUKE" in the logo is a different font. The "XTREME" is cut out from the cover art with Photoshop and tweaked a bit. I tried to cut out "DUKE" from the cover art, too, but I was having trouble.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 21 December 2014 - 04:47 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Like everyone says the main point of Xtreme was that it had various con hacks and things that allowed you to customize the game. I don't see why anyone would want to play Xtreme other than as a curiosity, especially when there's much, much better user content out there.

Were the maps even specially made for this addon or were they simply just random user maps they pulled off the internet so they could put the gimmick label of 50 maps on the front of the box or whatever?

View PostMicky C, on 21 December 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Were the maps even specially made for this addon or were they simply just random user maps they pulled off the internet so they could put the gimmick label of 50 maps on the front of the box or whatever?

I believe they're all random user maps from what I can tell. Some are horrible, some are decent.

some of them are on workshop

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostMicky C, on 21 December 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Like everyone says the main point of Xtreme was that it had various con hacks and things that allowed you to customize the game. I don't see why anyone would want to play Xtreme other than as a curiosity, especially when there's much, much better user content out there.
<snip>

That is how I have always viewed Duke Extreme as well as similar expansions for DooM and other games... is not really of interest unless I am building a map that can utilize something from the expansion. Is like playing with "Codes" in console games to me... just effects to experience the environment and some of the game-play differently. Mostly I just wanted the Duke Xtreme t-shirts to wear. :)

Posted ImagePosted Image

MrBlackCat

The main interest in Duke Xtreme has always been the CON hacks... Never bothered with the maps as I don't like loose user maps.

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

Wasn't there a Duke Xtreme 2? Or am I thinking of Duke Zone 1&2?

• Steven Shitlord

Here is a coop video of MrRumbleRoses and Myself playing the first Eps

View PostDuke64 Galactic Alliance, on 22 December 2014 - 01:59 AM, said:

Here is a coop video of MrRumbleRoses and Myself playing the first Eps

and here's episode 2 of myself and Duke64 Galactic Alliance playing Xtreme

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostTrebor_UK, on 22 December 2014 - 01:49 AM, said:

Wasn't there a Duke Xtreme 2? Or am I thinking of Duke Zone 1&2?
There was a Duke!Zone I and II, but I don't know of any other version of Duke Xtreme.

MrBlackCat

episode 3 has arrived of Duke Xtreme Co-Op edition

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options