Duke4.net Forums: Naferia's Reign: Invasion Of The Dark Mistress [hyper-mod W/ Rpg, Etc Elements] - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Naferia's Reign: Invasion Of The Dark Mistress [hyper-mod W/ Rpg, Etc Elements]  "Current Version now @ https://github.com/LordMisfit/NR-IotDM :O"

[GODS. I forgot how far back this topic has sunk into the archives. Time for some reanimation. @_@]

I know the modification hasn't been worked on in a while and it's not dead by a long shot either, but for those who don't know, I've had a slew of real life issues bombarding me sinch March of this year with my parents seperating [with my dad having moved out] and my mom getting sick and all this other stuff and her getting SSI and Disability benefits since she can't work and having to take care of her on top of other worries. It's been a lot calmer the last 2-3 months, but I'm still a lot busier in everyday life than I used to be, and it's hampered with my NR work ethic quite a bit. There's been a few minor updates, but nothing I yet consider worthy of a 5.21 release. I need to "rev back up into gear" before more major work occurs. I've also been busy getting use to actually having an income to spend the occasion dollars or few on things.

That's where this comes in below [ART incoming]:

Posted Image

This is a very recent commission my voice-acting friend "Vero-chan" took for me [also she's a friend of Commando Nukem as well]. She's the same VA who does the voices for Lisa Bates [girl on the left] and Maken Shinkara [girl on the right], who are of course two of the mod's playable characters, and the idea draws from some outtakes and development notes we went over a year ago when she was doing the drowning sounds for the two characters. She used two different types of soda for each of the different characters, and then made this funny outtake reel of Lisa and Maken arguing over the better soda, and it became a canonical part of their personalities and history, and the inspiration for this. Of course, the background as you can tell is ripped from one of the maps, E4L2.MAP to be exact, my own personal edit of it [this is the "Duke Burger" map, de-condemnified and techincally opened for business since it's one of my more favorite environments [well, the RESTURANT part of the level is at least >_>], and one changed to the map was adding a vending machine with Duke's majestic mug on it to boot to fit in the environment more XD. It's not an offical scene for a future release of the game, but I went through a bunch of maps, original-game and user-map alike to find a good background, and came to E4L2's here. And yes, I used HRP textures. They come in handy for more than just playing the game. XD

Anyways, I also have plans to hopefully get more fanart/concept art made via friends of mine [and yes, the above is a paid commission, via the "income" I mentioned above], so this topic might actually be necro'ed a few more times in the future. @__@

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Haha, that's nice art man!

Nice to see you back on track. Hopefully you'll sort things out in real life.

Ohai guys. I figure I'd let you that after 15 months of a combination of life problems and getting a new laptop and getting more games than I've had in most of my life and wasting my time on them, I have finally gotten enough [meagerly enough] content added for a new NR release. It's primarily an update to the UI but some balance changes are added now. :(

* CHANGELOG *

=SINCE 5.20=

+ Bug Fixes: Damage amounts no longer risk overflowing when using combinations of very powerful items or the 1000x damage cheat.
+ Items: Charm Shoes, Happy Shoes and Style Shoes have been nerfed to be not so broken over long playthroughs.
+ Displays/UI: A ton of changes have been made for the UI with more dynamic displays for certain stats which will only show when necessary now. FA and AB are now linked together with HP and AP instead of being seperate and no longer use their own bars. Buff icons and Powerup icons are more streamlined, inventory icons on the right side of the screen are scaled down. The Damage Displays and EXP/RANK displays are also scaled down somewhat. WARM/COZY and BOSS meters are also streamlined more properly. In general, most of the stuff on the lower half of the screen is less obstructive at first than it used to be.
+ Displays: Dialouge and One-liner quotes are in proper cases now to accomadate for the new lowercase font support.
+ Displays: Lowercase game font added to game.
+ New Permenant Boost Item: "Bloodpact Shield" added.
+ Displays: Getting within usable range of Vending Machines, Health-Stations and ATM machines will print a message on the screen indicating you are able to use them and which button to press to access them.

User is offline   E.C.S 

*Ghost mode OFF*

Yay! It's good to see this mod again, downloading right now :(

*Ghost mode ON*

User is offline   Player Lin 

Oh, nice! Update again...

But I don't have time to check it... :(

Not that it probably matters to most of you by now, but yeah, not dead yet, mod is updating day before Christmas, deal with it I guess, and Happy Holidays. :)

But more seriously, it's been a bit of a long haul with real life and family to take care of in addition to expanding my gaming horizons and the occasional streams and whatnot, not to mention other projects also cutting into NR's time and focus. <.<

* CHANGELOG *

=SINCE 5.21=

+ Weapon Bugfix: A critically annoying bug concerning the Shotgun randomly 'jamming' after switching characters was FINALLY fixed after having been around since the inception of the multi-character system. Hint to all future developers of mods like this, make sure the player struct called "random_club_frame" is reset to 0 upon switching characters. The problem was linked to having the shrinker/expander [or any weapon with a 'glowing' component] selected on one character and then switching straight to another character currently equipped with a Shotgun.
+ Jump Mechanics: Jumping is redone. No more sudden decceleration and reacceleration in midjump when jumping really high. Crouching and then jumping causes you to jump very low [the old system meant if you released crouch while in the middle of the jump you suddenly went from hugging the floor to launching into the air XD]. Also, air-jumps are now only 2/3s as powerful as a normal ground-launched jump. Crouching while falling will also SLIGHTLY increase a character's falling resistance to help reduce potential impact damage.
+ Display Bugfix: Fixed it where having undamaged SuperArmor would cause the description for damaged/used Super Armor to display in the inventory screen if you highlight it's blank spot holder.
+ Bug Fixes: Fixed a bug where invulnerable monsters can kill or affect a player by getting within range of one of their deployed Holoforms.
+ Feature Change: ATMs are changed. Cancelling from Deposits, Withdrawls and Wire Transfers go back to the options screen after an account login instead of completely logging the character out.
+ Feature Change: If you hold extra Duke3D-inventory items in your main inventory, you can press that item's respective button to give the current character one of that item if he/she is not currently carrying one directly already. [Applies to Portable Medikits, Holoforms, pairs of Night Vision Goggles, Jetpacks and Vitamin Xs]
+ Feature Change: Picking up a Duke3D-inventory item when the character has a partially depleted item of that kind in use, will instead put the item into the main inventory instead of refilling the partially-depleted item. [Applies to Portable Medikits, Holoforms, pairs of Night Vision Goggles, Scuba Tanks, pairs of Protective Boots, Jetpacks and Vitamin Xs]
+ Weapon Change: Pressing "4" will now cycle two firing modes for the chaingun, for those bitching at me they want the old chaingun back, you can now switch between bullets and rockets. :)
+ Displays: The weapons bar will show "4B"/"4R" and "5G"/"5S" to designate which mode of weapons 4 and 5 are current in use.
+ Worldtiles: A new set of 64 worldtiles have been added to the game's code, making up a total of 256 [from 192].

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Is it still compatible with NRHRP v1.00.01012010?

Yes LeoD, it should be just as compatible as any other version since it's release. o.o

User is offline   E.C.S 

It's alive! Again! Does that mean this mod is some kind of super-zombie or something like that? :)

Anyway, once again, glad to see this moving.

Always bet on Lord Misfit and NR:IOTDM mod. :)

Oh the Lord is still alive! :)

BTW, It seems that dork someone doesn't consider your project... enjoyable. (turn on annotations)

Or maybe, they are just advices said in a such rude way.

Fantinaikos: Of course I'm alive personally. My projects' statuses aren't any indicator of my own status. I've got a lot more things to jump back and forth with now. No single project of mine ever gets worked on for long these days, since I'm also trying to expand my gaming horizons some to make up for all the time I had a crappy computer [in comparison to the times back them] before March 2011. Because of this I jump all over from old PC games to newer PC games, to various console games, etc, etc. I even have a second FPS related mod project for the Doom/ZDoom engine as well, although it's not as feature-heavy as NR is. >.>

However, I really wish you hadn't brought up that video. I'm well well aware of it, but I simply don't pay SpSh any mind because despite having a few good and honestly precise critiques [my own personal voice acting sucks, let's face it :)], his review has an obvious bias. One way you can realize this is the fact he tried to act like there's no GUI/HUD at all. 5.21 ALWAYS had the HUD turned on by default, and unless some freak bug occured to his cfg file and wiped the info on his saved gamevars, even a total first time runner of NR would still have the HUD. He also tries to act like he has no idea how to use the menu system: notice he doesn't go through any of the 'normal' submenus [he stays in the characters submenu], yet he 'exposes' the cheats submenu, as if he thinks doing so is some big accomplishment against me, not realizing he blew the image of his review out, since to go into the cheat submenu, he has to hit the same buttons to shift normal submenus PLUS a couple extra ones. This means, he was obviously aware of the SYSTEM submenu, which allows you to toggle the HUD/GUI on or off. >__>

Also, I even 'liked' his video if only due to the total ridiclousness of the lulziness of most of his critique ["So Bad it's Good" mentality]. He also incorrectly assumes I did Bubsy's voice acting, and I'm sure the guy who actually DID do his voice wouldn't be too happy to hear that. >.> Also, he doesn't even try to use the other characters from the ones he's saddled up with, despite knowing the cheats submenu would allow him too. It's obvious to me he's trying to be a troll about it and had a bad case of "Did not Do The Research". Of course, if he ever had the chance to respond to me, I can bet he'll just claim he doesn't give ten damns about this as reference to how he responded to someone else on the video. He seems to be a pretty cynical, grumpy guy from what I gather... >.>

There's a few other things I could point out, but in the end it doesn't matter. I would advise just ignoring him if anyone really gives enough a crap to defend NR from him, it'll fall of deaf ears, and it only gives him the satisfaction of attention, which is I bet what he seeks anyways. :(

So yeah, let's drop the video for now. There is another video on YT of someone known as JacksonFelblade playing NR, but the problem is his in-game sound is so dang high his voice is impossible to hear over it, so I have no idea what his overall opinion of the game was. That's one I probably would've given more a crap about since it seemed a lot more legitimately played than done with an agenda. :)

This post has been edited by Lord Misfit: 29 December 2012 - 01:39 AM

Everyone has his/her opinion so if that guy doesn't like/don't give his (or her) shit/saying WTF is that/whatever bullshit, then it's his/her problem and that's it. And in this case, he already failed when he made many mistakes in his video review and still didn't give a shit to "fix" them, so whatever, I won't give a shit to him too. It just waste my time to watch the whole video... :)

Still, NR HUD isn't enough to be a "mess", no...it just a lot of messages but not a mess. :)
(But I agree NR is missing about its original storyline/own levels, and I think it's not the main points of this mod, right? :(
I just a little disappointed about this. :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 27 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I think I told Lord Misfit this when I was testing the game for him - NR's HUD is information overload. Honestly I think that makes the game more fun and frantic though.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Maybe you should read what he answered me in the comments. :)

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 28 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

SuperGoofy: Read them, and I still say it's not worth trying to pester him about it. For all I care, he's already said what he has to say on this and whether we believe he's done his review legit or not, we're not gonna change his mind, and he's one of probably more than a few naysayers of the mod. We just have to ignore it and accept the fact he doesn't like it and move on here. If he starts doing anything obstructive or causing us active problems, then we can focus on him again I suppose. If he's content to mope about NR in peace and to himself, he does have that right. >.>

Lin: Funny thing is, if he HAD legitimately been using the HUD and complained of clutter, I could at least see it as constructive since I know it's an issue with a lot of people from time to time and it would've given the review a bit more credibility than trying to make up some of his issues with it.

Also, NR actually IS supposed to ultimately be focused around the story more than the features. The coding I've done lately is to make way for my ideas to use in maps and whatnot as well as other bonus things involving interaction, which is supposed to be one of the many things that made people like Duke3D. I'd like to get to the serious editing as far as storyboarding and stuff is concerned, but I need to finish the code system, and that requires me to have full graphics sets for the many characters' sprites and their weapons sets [as I'd like to have everything available BEFORE coding as I don't like to use 'placeholder sprites/weapons' as one of my friends put it, while waiting]. Problem with that is I don't have graphical experience with spriting or modelling and I can't find anyone who will do it. The one person who I know can do good spriting won't do it even if I paid him a lot of money for it due to how complex he sees the process to be, not to mention he's worked up on his own rassin frassin projects >.> <.<

So yeah... and it's not like I haven't brought up this issue with look for graphics artists before either, but even looking around, I can't really find anyone, and add all the other stuff I have to do in my life on top of that, and that's why this has slown down so much and is accumlating so much virtual dust. :)

This post has been edited by Lord Misfit: 28 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

The video is pretty spot on. This mod is a clusterfuck of things that don't fit together in any real coherent or interesting way. the game mechanics ARE a giant, confusing mess and I really don't see the point to any of this, especially not the random movie posters and anime screenshots, nor the lack of attempt to make even simple character sprite edits. a game should be easily understandable by watching it, and what I'm getting from this is so difficult to comprehend that I can't begin to fathom what all these little doodads are ever going to be for. what's the point of all this? why should I have to listen to bubsy the bobcat wisecrack every 5 seconds when he was never interesting in the first place? why is there a little boy? why is any of this important at all?

this is like, babby's first mod idea for doom where they try to literally shove everything they find into one wad thinking that more automatically equals better, regardless of how any of it fits together or works. I'm suprised there's no anime midis or random song clips tossed in everywhere.

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 29 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Your criticisms might be legitimate if you didn't appear to be an arrogant asshole.

How exactly is this arrogant? I'm being blunt, I don't care if anyone gets their feelings hurt over their precious snowflake of a mod they update every once in a blue moon. it needs to be said, since nobody else in the thread seems to allow criticism of this strange, amalgamate beast

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 29 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostColon Semicolon, on 29 December 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

...this strange, amalgamate beast.

Isn't it enough? Calling one's work as a beast? :)

For my opinion, because NR's whole design and its lack of completion, many players complains about its mess and I can understand, but the point isn't this one, many criticizers did but did they really helps Lord Misfit and his NR mod? I guess not, maybe you think it's his problem/not your business or something else.

Keep in-mind, whatever else reasons you do not like this mod, it's a LM's one-man(well, not totally) project. Maybe you can say he just over-designing his works, and he should fixing those problems, but seriously, such critiques is enough since it released years ago. More of them do not helps, if you just cannot found any good points of this mod and just focus on bad points, then it really pointless and useless... even you stand on "right" point.

For me, a RPG style of Duke3D mod with some extra anime/cantoon things really a good idea, just too bad it still needed a lot of works, unless LM give up due to his personal problems or his heart dies by those pointless and useless critiques.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 31 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

In addition, most of the "this mod suxx cuz the amount of stuff is so confusing and contains anime n' 80's/90's cheesy games/cartoons characters crossovered" people seems to have forgotten one of the best feature ever implemented in a duke3D mod: DRIVEABLE AND SHOOTABLE PIG COP TANKS!
Now, i know i mentioned that other times (more than anything else because i made, whit my lack of skill, the internal sprites together whit custom crouching bosses for Misfit) but it's the only mod where you actually can do that. One of the few things that should be in mod like DUKEPLUS since the addition of the Duke flying vehicle and driveable motorcycle. But inexplicably remains a Naferia Reign exclusive!
And there seems to forget even the possibility to trade whit a weapons/items dealer (and perhaps interaction whit the people in the game in the future).

Honestly I'm not even a fan of anime/crossover things, but I have been able to see beyond this one, i collaborated for a certain period whit him because i found in this mod some innovative characteristics in the gameplay (that still need to be balanced properly for some guys).

And anyway, from the point of view of the story (always if this will be determined by the "fan-fiction cheesy story syndrome" for final result), we are talking about a crossover between games characters, and anime fancharacters, which actually may be debated by some like has happened.

But at least the plot it's not even similar to something like the characters of Twilight, The Room, Garbage Pale Kids and the Neverending story 3 crossed together damnit!

EDIT: LP Links deleted by Misfit request himself.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 01 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostFantinaikos, on 30 December 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

In addition, most of the "this mod suxx cuz the amount of stuff is so confusing and contains anime n' 80's/90's cheesy games/cartoons characters crossovered" people seems to have forgotten one of the best feature ever implemented in a duke3D mod: DRIVEABLE AND SHOOTABLE PIG COP TANKS!

Yeah, hell right!
I want smash them with those god-damned PIG COP TANKS!

:) :) :D

View PostFantinaikos, on 30 December 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

Honestly I'm not even a fan of anime/crossover things, but I have been able to see beyond this one, i collaborated for a certain period whit him because i found in this mod some innovative characteristics in the gameplay (that still need to be balanced properly for some guys).

And anyway, from the point of view of the story (always if this will be determined by the "fan-fiction cheesy story syndrome" for final result), we are talking about a crossover between games characters, and anime fancharacters, which actually may be debated by some like has happened.

But at least the plot it's not even similar to something like the characters of Twilight, The Room, Garbage Pale Kids and the Neverending story 3 crossed together damnit!

The problems just in current condition of NR mod, these points just hard to found and understand, I would think if LM do/finding someone to do some plot maps and it may helps...but I don't know if he want to do or whatelse...? :(

So yeah, updating this for people who still care.

The main reason I feel I need to update this is to inform people I moved updates for Naferia's Reign and the HRP over to github as a friend told me it seems to work better for more common and quick updates instead of taking forever to get enough updates to cluster together into more 'official releases'. There will still be points where version numbers will officially change, but at the moment, you'll need to download the newer [not-as-stable?] updates from https://github.com/LordMisfit/NR-IotDM (main game/mod) & https://github.com/LordMisfit/NR-HRP (HRP stuff, needs a readme first before people really try installing it, since it's barely supported in terms of instructions compared to the main mod.

So yeah, also if you want to for some weird reason talk to me in IRC or something about this, I'll link you to #DoomRPG on espernet, or you can PM me or something. Yay me. >.>

Some new things [just so you realize there are some updates].

Some new character skills.

Displays are more updated for widescreen support.

A new item that extends the limit of equippable inventory slots when found.

The commits section of the github repos will shed more light on stuff that's being updated. You might want to watch the repos if you're interested in this, just in case this topic [inevitably] slides back into the ruins of obscurity. :)

As a note: the old 5.22 version is still up on the main site, but the site will also now link to the github for now.

Good to know it's not dead. :)

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options