Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D HRP: new/updated art assets thread  "Post and discuss new or updated textures/models for the HRP here"

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'm just getting to grips with gloss maps myself. I tended to disregard them. I've been check up on some tuts and I thought I'd see if they made a difference.

Thanks for the info!

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

The per-pixel spec factor is useful if you want different materials on the same surface, you can make parts very glossy and others more uniformly shiny. The RGB channels let you modulate the color as well if you want the specular highlight to reflect only a certain hue.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thats usefull. I didn't know that Polymer supported coloured spec maps. I thought it was monochrome only.

User is offline   Besli 

Old:
http://svn.eduke32.c...rev=348&peg=348

I used the hires Manual Cover scan to Remake this texture.

Cover Scan Link: http://imagizer.imag...agebitmap4h.png

If someone wants to give it another try there is the source art:
http://ronniesmithar...2/DukeNukem.jpg

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 0966.png

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

That's a pronounced improvement. Committed.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHendricks266, on 02 May 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

That's a pronounced improvement. Committed.
PNGOUT.EXE couldn't reduce the file size for me. Which tool/command line did you use to improve it?

• Weaponized Autism

http://wiki.eduke32....NG_Optimization

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostHendricks266, on 02 May 2014 - 01:23 PM, said:

THX. Last time I compared tools the difference was far less significant.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Just be careful when doing it with transparent textures or special maps, it can sometimes have undesirable side-effects there.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostPlagman, on 05 May 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Just be careful when doing it with transparent textures or special maps, it can sometimes have undesirable side-effects there.
Yeah, I always check that both old and new PNG convert to the same TGA.

User is offline   blizzart 

I don´t know if I've posted it before, but this website (tinypng.com can reduce PNGs by up to 70% without any significant quality loss.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I personally use PNGGauntlet. http://pnggauntlet.com/

How do you add a pal image to the hrp images??

This is the current code in the hrp zip

// Black Clock (1060)
model "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock.md3" {
   scale 1.5 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 surface 0 file "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock.png" }
   skin { pal 0 surface 1 file "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock.png" }
   frame { name "Frame0" tile 1060 }
}

// Black Clock Broken (1067)
model "highres/sprites/props/1067_clockbroken.md3" {
   scale 1.5 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/1067_clockbroken.png" }
   frame { name "idle" tile 1067 }
}

I tried adding ' skin { pal 5 surface 0 file "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock_5.png" } and skin { pal 5 surface 5 file "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock_5.png" }' under the last skin line, and nothing happened. I'm trying to add a Japanese clock to the pal set.

Have also tried this in my custom folder

texture 1060 { 
     pal 1 { file "CustomT/highres/sprites/props/1060_clock_1.png" } 
}
texture 1067 { 
     pal 1 { file "CustomT/highres/sprites/props/1067_clockbroken_1.png" } 
}

• Weaponized Autism

Assuming the broken clock file is 1067_clockbroken_5.png:

// Black Clock (1060)
   scale 1.5 shade 0
   skin { pal 5 surface 0 file "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock_5.png" }
   skin { pal 5 surface 1 file "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock_5.png" }
}

scale 1.5 shade 0
   skin { pal 5 file "highres/sprites/props/1067_clockbroken_5.png" }
}

A frame uses the skins most recently defined above it. See how the Trooper monster model uses a different skin for the dead frames than all the others.

Yea thats not doing anything... you'd think that would work, but it's not. Only change I got was when I was doing the editing in my external custom folder. The only thing it was doing tho was just showing the mini icon in the 3d clipboard current area in build. The actual sprite wasn't changed tho.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

1337DirtAlliance, on 17 May 2014 - 12:47 AM, said:

Yea thats not doing anything... you'd think that would work, but it's not. Only change I got was when I was doing the editing in my external custom folder. The only thing it was doing tho was just showing the mini icon in the 3d clipboard current area in build. The actual sprite wasn't changed tho.
Check your eduke32.log for messages about your model/texture.

Figured out the problem...

I had to have my CustomT def file read:

// Black Clock (1060)
   scale 1.5 shade 0
   skin { pal 5 surface 0 file "CustomT/sprites/props/1060_clock_5.png" }
   skin { pal 5 surface 1 file "CustomT/sprites/props/1060_clock_5.png" }
}

scale 1.5 shade 0
   skin { pal 5 file "CustomT/sprites/props/1067_clockbroken_5.png" }
}

I was just calling out just the added sprite in that def and the only thing that would change is the clipboard icon.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have noticed that most of the Rapidshare mirror links didn't work any more on the HRP website. Rapidshare is about to switch their pricing model which made me decide to discontinue uploading my files there. Therefore, I have switched the mirrors to Mega. If this is a problem for any of you, just notify me and I'll try to find another solution. However, Mega has quite good conditions regarding storage limits, download speed and the like, so in my opinion it's a good alternative.

Other than that, it's time to send out a ping regarding HRP content activity. After taking a quick look at the SVN changelogs, I guess not too much new stuff has been added in the last few months that would really justify a refresh release in the very near future - unless I am mistaken.

It'd be great to check
- where we are regarding our to-do list (episode content completion especially --> is the list link in my signature still up-to-date?)
- whether any major stuff is still in the pipeline by anybody (remakes of important models, textures or anything completely new).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 June 2014 - 01:39 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

There is something that bothers me a bit about the hrp. Some animated sprites have non animating frames that get used a lot in user maps as decoration. When hrp models are on the animation plays ( ex. Seaweed sprites )

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

NightFright, on 06 June 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

- where we are regarding our to-do list (episode content completion especially --> is the list link in my signature still up-to-date?)
Since your link points to the repo: yes, that's the very to-do list. A current HRP update pack would be 111 MiB. There is one new (1354 luke) and about ten updated/polymerized models. We have about five (rarely used) new and 40+ updated/polymerized textures.

Drek, on 07 June 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

There is something that bothers me a bit about the hrp. Some animated sprites have non animating frames that get used a lot in user maps as decoration. When hrp models are on the animation plays ( ex. Seaweed sprites )
That's more a deficiency of the EDuke32 animation system IMO. However, among other things this is what my UserMapHacks are about. More than 600 maps processed so far. Unfortunately the maphack DEF tokens are still not implemented in EDuke32. Therefore the maphack hierarchy needs to be extracted from the the HRP and put into a flat separate ZIP for the time being.

• The Truth is in here

Some Russian guy just sent me 3 IVFs (cineov2, cineov3, logo), claiming he converted them from the PSX version and hopes to get them added to HRP. I haven't checked this out so far, but general question: Are we even allowed to use this? Since it's not "hand-made" by any community member, I have my doubts somewhat...

• Weaponized Autism

Tell him to shove 'em. I already did exactly that, but there's no point: the videos are less than 640x480.

• The Truth is in here

Like I thought, then. I'll reply to him with a Duke3D classic: "Eat sh** and die"... :)

User is offline   Mateos 

Hi,

I have a question regarding the texture recreation process, I prefer to post here than making a separated topic just for it: when you have a non-power-of-two asset to remake, do you remake it with keeping the resolution ratio or do you remake it as a power-of-two texture?

Thank you in advance :)

• Weaponized Autism

I think we've been keeping integer multiples of the original resolution, POT or NPOT. The guideline at one time was x4 but x8 seems to be in style now.

User is offline   Mateos 

OK thank you! :)

User is offline   king karl 

so i just decided after a few years off from duke to update my duke3d folder and get back into it, where is the latest version of the hrp? and will there be a new one soon? and should i empty out all the old hrp stuff before using this one?

@king carl
this is just the thread for any WIP stuff to be shown off

actual releases of the complete HRP in a pack can be found here: http://hrp.duke4.net/

be sure to also get the latest Eduke32 which you will need for the newest HRP to actually work
http://www.eduke32.com/

This post has been edited by splitterface: 11 December 2014 - 06:08 PM

Edit: A ninja knows no fear. :)

All I can think to add is that you can grab newer snapshots of EDuke32 from http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/ though of course they aren't always as stable as the "current" release.

There was also an SVN repository for the HRP but I cannot remember the address and using it is tedious sometimes.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 11 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

• The Truth is in here

Last time I checked (which has been a while ago, I admit), no major new content had been added to the HRP SVN for quite a while. A few updated textures here, a few new maphacks for mods (which we still cannot use if I am not mistaken) there. I doubt that you folks would notice visible differences compared to the version released last year. Personally, I wished for reaching a milestone again, e.g. completion of ep. 2-4 content. Consider that the HRP pack as it is now is quite huge, and if you redownload everything and you won't be able to tell what's new right after firing up the whole thing, you may end up a bit disappointed.

Anyway, if you guys wish for it, I could recompile another refresh release - but I need to test it first which might take a bit. Also it needs to be coordinated with the comm in case any of you still has stuff they want to get added before. Could be done before new year still (if there is nothing major in the pipeline), though - my holidays start after coming Friday.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 14 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

Share this topic:

• 161 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options