Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 23 February 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

Has anyone noticed that the engine seems to overestimate the clipping of floors with relatively large slopes? Like if it's sloped upwards, you'd be positioned higher then you should be at the peak of the slope?

Yes, can confirm that by experiment. See the attached ZIP file which contains a map and a CON file for a small ball that moves back and fowrard across a sloped elevation.

Doing some investigation, one finds that the reason is twofold: (1) the particular way the getzrange engine function handles nearby sectors and (2) the fact that the game calls it with a fixed walldist value for all actors (127, from A_GetZLimits() in gameexec.c) regardless of their actual size.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Nukey 

So I was perusing PLAYER.C's processinput() function

came across the code in the first image

seems to still exist in eduke32 (as of Rev 5016 anyway)

what is the purpose of the block highlighted in red?

a short-circuited "klabs(actor[p->i].floorz-actor[p->i].ceilingz) < (48<<8)"

versus an "else if (klabs(fz-cz) < (32<<8) && etc"

second image (seems to) indicate the two klabs() are comparing the same stuff

if that's true, the "else if" could never possibly be executed

i'm not much for reading code; it's completely possible that i am missing something obvious here

sort me out please thanks and strawberries

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: pic1.png
  • Attached Image: pic2.png

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

From what I can understand...

"klabs(actor[p->i].floorz-actor[p->i].ceilingz) < (48<<8)"

If the difference beetween the floor and ceiling heights of the current sector are less than 12288 units.

if (klabs(fz-cz) < (32<<8) && isanunderoperator(sector[p->cursectnum].lotag))

If the difference beetween the floor and ceiling heights of the sector called by processinput is less than 8192 and the the current player sector lotag is that of an operator.

This post has been edited by Fox: 01 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

User is offline   Nukey 

that's the weird part

if floor and ceiling difference is < 8192

it's guaranteed to be < 12288

i can't imagine how it could ever reach the "else if" block

(given the second image, anyway)

i.e. the block highlighted in red looks like dead code that could never be executed

This post has been edited by Nukey: 01 March 2015 - 09:23 PM

User is offline   Fox 

I assume the hittype floorz/ceilingz may be different from fz/cz. But I am having a hard time understanding it.

User is offline   Nukey 

looks pretty much the same in the original source:

hittype[pi].floorz = fz;
hittype[pi].ceilingz = cz;

i see no assignments, comparisons, or function calls on the 'hittype' stuff (until the block of code in question)

lots of comparisons on fz and cz, but only one assignment operation:

(image - eduke32 source again)

dunno what hz is... maybe this is correcting for slopes or 'true-centering' or something

anyway, i don't think they're different, but i can't say for sure yet

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: pic3.png

This post has been edited by Nukey: 01 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNukey, on 01 March 2015 - 08:17 PM, said:

second image (seems to) indicate the two klabs() are comparing the same stuff

if that's true, the "else if" could never possibly be executed

Given the second image at the top of P_ProcessInput(), that looks to be the case.

View PostNukey, on 01 March 2015 - 09:50 PM, said:

lots of comparisons on fz and cz, but only one assignment operation:

The assignment is

getzrange((vec3_t *)p,p->cursectnum,&cz,&hz,&fz,&lz,163L,CLIPMASK0);

A pointer to these variables is passed into getzrange, which dereferences it in order to modify them.

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostHendricks266, on 01 March 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

Given the second image at the top of P_ProcessInput(), that looks to be the case.

The assignment is

getzrange((vec3_t *)p,p->cursectnum,&cz,&hz,&fz,&lz,163L,CLIPMASK0);

A pointer to these variables is passed into getzrange, which dereferences it in order to modify them.

ya sorry, i was ignoring that one because it's the initial assignment for those variables

i should have said "modified" to be clearer, only cz gets (potentially) modified on the way to the block of code in question

at least that's all i saw on my quick skim through

User is offline   Jblade 

Is there any way to make the automap more useful in room over room constructions? Right now it's always just shown the top most sector which can be a nuisance in certain circumstances. I imagine there's probably a good reason why it can't be improved of course, but even just having your current sector take priority over any other in the same space would be a useful change in itself.

User is offline   Fox 

Even if it could be improved, I think it's better to stay true to the original in this case. No?

Speaking of the automap, some times it goes black. It seems to happen when you are entering new sectors or palfrom is not zero.

Posted Image

User is offline   Jblade 

Even if it could be improved, I think it's better to stay true to the original in this case. No?

No, because it's useless in maps which use TROR or even just basic ROR that normal Duke supported. Have a client side variable or something if you think it would take from the experience.

User is offline   Jblade 

Anyway to disable the UNLOCKED quote when using SE19? I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that in CON code due to the hard-coded nature of the effect.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJblade, on 15 March 2015 - 02:31 AM, said:

Anyway to disable the UNLOCKED quote when using SE19? I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that in CON code due to the hard-coded nature of the effect.

You can blank out the quote in the CONs, which will turn any function call to display it into a no-op that doesn't affect the currently displayed quote or print a blank line to the log.

User is offline   Jblade 

I meant on an individual basis as it's useful for some levels but having it display when SE19 is triggered is a bit annoying. I can manually deactivate it just for that level by checking for that quote and changing it though if we're on a certain level so it's no big deal. Cheers.

• Weaponized Autism

I looked in the code and the best I could do is add EVENT_QUOTE, which might be overkill. Instead, you may be able to save the current player[].ftq and fta in EVENT_PREGAME and restore them in EVENT_GAME if the unlocked quote displays when you don't want.

User is offline   Fox 

gamevar fta 0 1
gamevar ftq 0 1

onevent EVENT_DISPLAYSBAR
  ifvarg player[THISACTOR].fta 0
  ifvare player[THISACTOR].ftq 8
  {
    setplayer[THISACTOR].fta fta
    setplayer[THISACTOR].ftq ftq
  }
  getplayer[THISACTOR].fta fta
  getplayer[THISACTOR].ftq ftq
endevent

This post has been edited by Fox: 16 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

• Weaponized Autism

You should make those variables per-player. Also, does EVENT_DISPLAYSBAR run even when "screen size" is maxed out (== no HUD)?

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 16 March 2015 - 12:56 PM

A solution for displaying ROR on automap could be the addition of some sort of 3D map display but that would be too far from the original game, besides I wonder if the Build Engine can actualy support something like that ...

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHendricks266, on 16 March 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

You should make those variables per-player.

Oops.

View PostHendricks266, on 16 March 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

Also, does EVENT_DISPLAYSBAR run even when "screen size" is maxed out (== no HUD)?

Yes.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postthedrawliner, on 16 March 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

A solution for displaying ROR on automap could be the addition of some sort of 3D map display but that would be too far from the original game, besides I wonder if the Build Engine can actualy support something like that ...

Mapster already has the isometric view, but it's not textured. It'd probably be too complicated to be useful anyway even if it was textured, at least for those maps which are already too complicated for the regular 2D map.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 16 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostJblade, on 15 March 2015 - 02:31 AM, said:

I recall that Two-Way Trains have the unique ability to trigger ActivatorLocked sprites without displaying the "unlocked" quote, but I couldn't find a way to get this working with SE 19. I dug through the code a bit and it looks pretty much impossible via "classic" methods. You might find that info useful for other effects though.

User is offline   Nukey 

first pic also looks vestigial... came across it in "GAME.C"

and another in the second pic (executes, but looks useless)

and a third! the "else" should never be able to execute

for future reference, are these things worth posting so they can be marked with comments in the source, or should i just be ignoring them?

i will have to dig through the source properly someday, there must be hundreds of lines of code like these.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: pic4.png
  • Attached Image: pic5.png
  • Attached Image: pic6.png

This post has been edited by Nukey: 20 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

User is offline   Fox 

There is no instance in the original levels which a barrel is squished. But it works for User Maps.

User is offline   Nukey 

Ah right, for some reason I had checked GAME.CON for the latter two cases, but forgot about that first one.

This post has been edited by Nukey: 22 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Second example looks like it's just marking it with a tag so that the neartag() function can find it. The third is interesting... if you look directly below the WATERBUBBLE__STATIC case label there's a check for APLAYER, clearly indicating that the APLAYER__STATIC case above once fell through.

User is offline   Nukey 

I agree, the first APLAYER block probably fell through at one point, which would nicely explain why that "else" exists.

I am a bit confused on the second part though. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

It looks like the "if (j >= 0 && sprite[j].picnum == APLAYER)" part doesn't depend on the previous case falling through, since it's checking (what I assume to be) the owner sprite that is spawning the bubble, instead of sp->picnum directly

User is offline   Fox 

Indeed. I assume that at some point there was another case which was removed.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Oh, oops, you're right--I read the j as an i.

User is offline   Fox 

Is there an easy way to render a md3 like the ones used by Eduke? For example, if I wanted to create sprites from the Liztroop HRP model from all five angles and for all animation frames.

User is offline   Mark 

You could load the model into most modeling programs and take screen caps as you rotate the model. I did that when Teamonster sent me his Duke model for beta testing. Its time consuming but possible. If there is an easy to use all-in-one program solution I am not aware of it.

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options