Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 16 December 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

Blend won't do the job. I need to replace all instance which the two translucency levels are used.

For sprites, the following will do, assuming the attached PALETTE.DAT table is used.

gamevar tmp 0 0
gamevar cs 0 0

state setup_animatesprites
    getactor[THISACTOR].mdflags tmp
    orvar tmp 16
    setactor[THISACTOR].mdflags tmp
ends

onevent EVENT_EGS
endevent

onevent EVENT_LOADACTOR
endevent

// Assuming a PALETTE.DAT with e.g.:
//  blend 0: 50/50 alpha
//  blend 1: factor 1.0 additive
onevent EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES
    getactor[THISACTOR].cstat cs
    ifvarand cs 2 ifvarand cs 512
        setactor[THISACTOR].blend 1
    else
        setactor[THISACTOR].blend 0
endevent

Note how I set mdflags[].flags' bit 16 for both cases of sprite creation (premap and in-game spawn), unconditionally for all sprites.

Attached File(s)

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 18 December 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

1) The viewscreen seemed to change its size after the first use.
2) It stopped animating when I went to the menu and returned. Couldn't get it to animate again.

I can't reproduce any of these problems. For the second one, the rendered view on the security screen stops panning for a second or so, but resumes then. What are your renderer settings (as shown with DNCOORDS entered twice)?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHelixhorned, on 20 December 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

For sprites, the following will do, assuming the attached PALETTE.DAT table is used.

(...)

Note how I set mdflags[].flags' bit 16 for both cases of sprite creation (premap and in-game spawn), unconditionally for all sprites.

I need it for masked walls too.

You changed the default table to 50%? That will be very usefull. But then I need a way to change the hard-coded translucency values in OpenGL modes.

This post has been edited by Fox: 20 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHelixhorned, on 20 December 2014 - 05:42 AM, said:

I can't reproduce any of these problems. For the second one, the rendered view on the security screen stops panning for a second or so, but resumes then. What are your renderer settings (as shown with DNCOORDS entered twice)?

Well that hardly gave any information at all.

Rendermode 0, resolution 1024x768, widescreen on.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Wait what? 1024x768 is 4:3, not widescreen...

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 18 December 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

1) The viewscreen seemed to change its size after the first use.
2) It stopped animating when I went to the menu and returned. Couldn't get it to animate again.

OK, 2) is now fixed. A more precise description of the bug is that the animation on the viewscreen was suspended for as long as you had the menu open. As far as 1) is concened, I can't get the viewscreen back to its normal tile with new revisions. Whenever I exceed the tile-update threshold distance (8192 Build units), the last rendered scene remains on the tile, in contrast to resetting to VIEWSCREEN, as in Duke3D. This is a probably unintended side effect of r4445.

View PostFox, on 20 December 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

I need it for masked walls too.

Assuming the translucency bits of every wall never change, just loop over all of them at map entry and set wall[].blend accordingly.

You changed the default table to 50%? That will be very usefull. But then I need a way to change the hard-coded translucency values in OpenGL modes.

Well, that has been discussed earlier, like from here on.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHelixhorned, on 21 December 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Assuming the translucency bits of every wall never change, just loop over all of them at map entry and set wall[].blend accordingly.

That structure is not avaiable.

• EDuke32 Developer

Oops, right, the .blend wall member is present in Lunatic builds only.

User is offline   Fox 

I may ask, why is that?

• EDuke32 Developer

For the sprite structure type, there used to be an unused "filler" member that was taken over for the purpose of "blend". The V7 wall structure type is already tightly packed and there are no unused fields. In the Lunatic build, the internal map format is decoupled from the on-disk one, so that members can be added arbitrarily.

User is offline   Fox 

It's not like I have deep knowledge about the map format, but I don't understand why adding new sector or wall structures would not be viable in the same way as spriteext structures and per-sector or per-wall gamearrays.

• Honored Donor

Is it normal for sprites and the player to move radially inward when in a rotating sector of which the point of rotation is outside the sector?

User is offline   Fox 

It's expected for the position of a sprite to change gradually in relation to the pivot point due to some imprecision in the calculation.

• Honored Donor

Damn, so there's no way around it? Even with con code?

User is offline   Fox 

With CON code there is. If I am not wrong a statnum was created for that?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

htflags & 131072

With this flag you may never move the actor from its starting point.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 23 December 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

It's not like I have deep knowledge about the map format, but I don't understand why adding new sector or wall structures would not be viable in the same way as spriteext structures and per-sector or per-wall gamearrays.

Ultimately because it means the existence of a new on-disk map format which would have to be maintained, together with conversion code from at least the preceding version. So, each time a field were added to sprite/wall/sprite in the non-Lua setting, we'd bump the map format to V10, V11, V12, ... not cool. The situation is different for structures like spriteext[] because they're not exposed in this way. Still, we need to bump BYTEVERSION (breaking older savegames) whenever we change these.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 24 December 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:

htflags & 131072

With this flag you may never move the actor from its starting point.

The flag is ineffective when set during the game for an actor, though. The proper way is to mark an actor tile potentially "rotation-fixed" by adding bit 4 to its actortype. At map load time, sprites of that tile number contained in SE0, SE6 or SE14 sectors will be set up for prevention of roundoff error accumulation during the game. Sprites of the following statnums will be set up this way by default: DEFAULT, STANDABLE, FX, FALLER, LIGHT.

Note that in the wiki's htflags documentation, some flags have no CON labels. These flags are not really supposed to be used directly.

User is offline   Jblade 

The save command seems to be crashing the game on the latest snapshots. Wish I could give more info but the game just hangs when the command is used. Here's the code:
ifvarvare SAVEGAME THISACTOR
{
readgamevar SAVEGAME
ifvare SAVEGAME 0 killit
save 9
setvar SAVEGAME 0
savegamevar SAVEGAME
killit
}

ifvare AUTOSAVE_ENABLED YES
ifvare SAVEGAME 0
{
ifvarn HITAGSAVED 0
	{
	checkactivatormotion HITAGSAVED
	ifvare RETURN 1
		{
		userquote 243
		setvarvar SAVEGAME THISACTOR
		}
	}
else
	ifpdistl 1024
	{
	userquote 243
	setvarvar SAVEGAME THISACTOR
	savegamevar SAVEGAME
	}
}

It's convoluted to fix the issue where the game would autosave immediately again upon loading the save back up.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 24 December 2014 - 02:27 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHelixhorned, on 24 December 2014 - 02:05 AM, said:

Ultimately because it means the existence of a new on-disk map format which would have to be maintained, together with conversion code from at least the preceding version. So, each time a field were added to sprite/wall/sprite in the non-Lua setting, we'd bump the map format to V10, V11, V12, ... not cool. The situation is different for structures like spriteext[] because they're not exposed in this way. Still, we need to bump BYTEVERSION (breaking older savegames) whenever we change these.

What prevents the addition of sectorext[] or wallext[] structures, other than bumping BYTEVERSION?

Edit: Where am I supposed to add SFLAG_NODAMAGEPUSH so it take effect? It doesn't work by changing the .htflags or using spriteflags outside the actor code.

This post has been edited by Fox: 24 December 2014 - 03:50 AM

• Weaponized Autism

Touch menus have landed in synthesis. Feedback?

View Postsergey808a, on 16 December 2014 - 11:24 PM, said:

Also, not working ending movies after 2nd and 3rd bosses.

This is fixed.

User is offline   sergey808a 

View PostHendricks266, on 27 December 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

sergey808a, on 17 December 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:
Also, not working ending movies after 2nd and 3rd bosses.

This is fixed.

Thanks for this.

Unfortunately glitch with Cycloid is still exist in eduke32_win64_20141227-4859.
This bug occurs if the autoload folder contains custom packs except duke3d_hrp.zip (even duke3d_music.zip).
If there is no custom packs in autoload folder - everything works good.
First log with no custom packs (no glitches).
Second log with added duke3d_music.zip in autoload folder, without other changes. Bug is exist.
I found this string in second eduke32.log:

Failed loading skin file "highres/sprites/monsters/2710_body_d.png": error -2

Maybe it helps fixing this bug.

Thank you for works.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by sergey808a: 27 December 2014 - 11:57 PM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostJblade, on 24 December 2014 - 02:25 AM, said:

The save command seems to be crashing the game on the latest snapshots.

Fixed in r4838. The perpetrator thanks you for reporting and is happy for not having to fix it himself. (Probably. I didn't ask. :))

View PostFox, on 24 December 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

What prevents the addition of sectorext[] or wallext[] structures, other than bumping BYTEVERSION?

Nothing except bumping it, and the fact that nowadays the folks working on the embedded versions will likely frown upon the addition of a couple of KB of a mostly unused array. In other words, something like wall_blend[] for the non-Lua build is a good idea for maintaining some degree of compatibility, but said folks would probably like to see it tightly allocated. (Slightly more work for whoever implements this.)

Edit: Where am I supposed to add SFLAG_NODAMAGEPUSH so it take effect? It doesn't work by changing the .htflags or using spriteflags outside the actor code.

With the spriteflags directive. Starting with r4841, you may pass multiple flags to it, which will be bitwise-ORd. A somewhat sub-optimal example of a root CON file is this:
// 4610 is NEWBEAST
spriteflags 4610 SFLAG_NODAMAGEPUSH SFLAG_SMOOTHMOVE
include GAME.CON

Note that spriteflags is supposed to be used before the definition of the useractor of the same tile, any other sprite* directives or precache, the reason being that it assigns (i.e. overwrites) the 'flags' value instead of bitwise-ORing it into the old one. For code entirely under your control, this is not an issue.

User is offline   Fox 

SMOOTHMOVE works, NODAMAGEPUSH not.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 28 December 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

SMOOTHMOVE works, NODAMAGEPUSH not.

You mean with the exact example I posted or some other case? For the former: works fine here. For the latter: I'd have to see the code, and potentially some context like the order in which useractor and sprite* directives appear. LunaCON warns you if you violate the rule stated earlier. (Except that it considers actor but not precache -- might need to fix that.)

User is offline   Fox 

I am using C-CON.

Edit: When you end the episode, the blocking of sounds continues in the main menu. (my mistake)

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  EDUKE.CON (78bytes)
    Number of downloads: 244

This post has been edited by Fox: 29 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 28 December 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

I am using C-CON.

I understand that you're mainly or exclusively using C-CON for development and testing. I merely suggested to at least look at the CON translation log with LunaCON, as it may give you hints of erratic behavior for running the same code under C-CON. LunaCON is stricter, and that's a good thing.

You posted the same code snippet as I, from which you meant to say that that one didn't work for you in a vanilla environment? I dunno... the NEWBEAST just fails to be pushed away by a continuous burst of chaingun fire for me, from which I conclude that NODAMAGEPUSH works. In which way does it fail to work for you?

EDIT: Just to be clear, that snippet is supposed to be used as root CON file, like this:
eduke32 -v1 -l1 ndp.con

and not as a mutator.

User is offline   Fox 

Hit it with an RPG.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 28 December 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

Edit: When you end the episode, the blocking of sounds continues in the main menu.

I don't understand.

I've just tested the new build and the cutscenes now work beautifully, thanks Hendricks (and all the others involved, of course) :)

Also, there seems to be this litle problem with the User maps menu----

Attached Image: duke0006.png

I'm very sure it shouldn't be like that.

Also, the polymost override and Z-pack addons get totally cancelled out, maybe I should tell LeoD about this though.

Anyway, keep up the good work, you guys are the best!

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options