Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Return to Taygeta - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Return to Taygeta  "My tribute to classic"

User is offline   Sanek 

Posted Image

15 years after Duke's mission on planet Taygeta, he have to return here to eliminate these alien bastards once again! This is an old, abandoned map of mine, which I started back in 2010, but skipped then. So, I continuted it month ago and here it is...

I've always loved Ray Tracer's work. The Multimania site was one of the first sites where I downloaded really good Duke maps when I got the interntet connection, after years of playing only user maps from Nuke It CD. And Taygeta was one of the first really good maps that I've played. It's one of my childhood favorites, and I want to pay a little tribute to it. Hope you like it!

Download: https://www.mediafir...cfc7bllr77brkk8

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

Suddenly, 3 maps.

Well it was pretty good overall. Some neat ideas, good use of flickering lights, and the switch puzzle with a little twist at the end was a pretty good idea.
However I think it shows that it is based on an old map. A lot of the rooms are very blocky with a lack of shading, a lack of sound at times as well and a few glitches which I'm sure could have been fixed.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I see the ep2lvl1 entrance as the start has the jetpack I kind of just ran fast out of that room eager to see something I haven't seen.

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 12 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Just played it. Pretty good map overall, and probably one of your best together with Bridge Between Two Islands. The dark station part is atmospheric, but it lacks ambient sounds. Some annoying glitches and unpolished parts spoil the fun, but nothing too special. The map feels too linear at times, but still fun to play, and challenging too.

In terms of atmosphere, I prefer Cold in Novermber, but in terms of gameplay, Return to Taygeta is a big step forward.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 26 October 2014 - 03:31 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

Guys thanks for feeback, glad you like it! (even with minor problems there)

User is offline   Sanek 

Kinda dissapointing that Siebenpolis steal's all attentinon. No love for Sanek it seems. :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I wouldn't say it's just Siebenpolis. There were a LOT of maps released within a day or two of your release. Really bad timing considering there wasn't a huge amount of releases for a while before that. Plus the map looks like it's built relatively quickly, and to be fair maps which have been in development longer generally get more attention, at least when directly competing with "quickies".

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostSanek, on 29 October 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

Kinda dissapointing that Siebenpolis steal's all attentinon. No love for Sanek it seems. :)

you seen ck3d's map had been released 3 hours before you decided to jam yours in there along side it. Why you decided to compete for attention against somebody with a longer history for quality maps instead of waiting two or three days can probably only be answered by your impatience. Now your project suffers lack of feedback for it and you only have yourself to blame.

it also doesn't help that you make almost exclusively mid-quality clones and knock-offs of Zykov E., Pascal R., and now a Ray Tracer map.

i'm not trying to be an ass, but I am because you push out half-baked maps with sporadic and inconsistent effort in their construction and concept. I'm telling you this because you have the talent to do better if you stop getting impatient with your work.

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 29 October 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

you have the talent to do better if you stop getting impatient with your work.

THIS

User is offline   Jblade 

I played it and enjoyed it, but I do think you're rushing to push releases out - enthusiasm IS great and it's nice to see more stuff put out there for us to play, but nobody here is going anywhere so don't feel compelled to push things out of the door ASAP :)

User is online   ck3D 

just finished it, it was a pretty fun ride but as others have mentioned it would have benefitted from more work. the map being a tribute to an older map doesn't even work as an excuse, were i to make a tribute to an old map myself i would make it a point to make it as good as possible, if i genuinely liked the original level that much. i have no clue as to why you always seem to rush your releases. it makes it look like you are only mapping and posting on forums for the attention, if anything. there is none to get, man. no rush.

the action and flow of the gameplay was alright. some of the design elements were cool (i liked the idea behind the frozen caves), some others not so much, the map was generally empty and under-detailed. flickering lights and all were cool, as well as those last rooms with the collapsing ceilings (but those could have looked a lot nicer as well. how one shouldn't sacrify aesthetics in favor of functionality still stands just as true as it does the other way around), but there were quite a lot of texture alignment problems. i liked the transitions from location to location and how they all looked different and flowed all right but again, they could have looked a lot better with some extra work thrown in.

once thing i disliked about the gameplay though, was the seeming randomness of the enemy placement (although it wasn't so bad at the start and the ammo / monster ratio was fairly well balanced, it really became rather awkward towards the end) and all those high jumps (even though you did provide the jetpack), surprise attacks and all those other phases that either harm the player, or have the potential to get him stuck for good (ie. that first room with the collapsing ceiling, i had to reload to an earlier save because i had no clue what i had just unlocked and the door was actually in the former, now unreachable room). sometimes you provided health packs but it wasn't implemented well (ie. two +30 packs just before a high drop into a ventilation shaft, so you get to max up on health before the jump but still end up hurt after, shouldn't it be the other way around like in E1L1 ?). i liked the miniboss fight in the warehouse.

overall not a bad map, but not a top notch one either, seemed like something one could come up with in two or three days tops. lots of basic design and gameplay problems that could have easily been fixed

This post has been edited by ck3D: 30 October 2014 - 02:28 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

No point in comparing i'm sure everyone enjoyed playing all the new maps, this one was fun to.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Yeah, that kinda sad.

This post has been edited by Artem Nevinchany: 17 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options