Duke4.net Forums: Import 3dmodels : not shown in the inventory - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Import 3dmodels : not shown in the inventory  "How can I fix it ?"

User is offline   David B. 

Hi everybody,

I need to import custom 3D models into a map, basically it's working but it's the first time and I have a novice question :

I have imported an md3 file and referenced it in a DEF file, at tile 421 to give an example.
The model appears in the game, but when I want to select it in the tiles/sprites inventory, the ancient texture 421 from the HRP is still shown in the list.

What must I do to make the model appears also in the inventory ? Help would be appreciated.

Another question : there are two skins on that model. I set one of them, but a surface of the model need the other one. What about the DEF code / where can set this ?

User is offline   Mark 

For the second question, make another line for the second skin just like the first one. Instead of surface 0 use surface 1 and of course the second file name for the second skin.

skin { pal 0 surface 0 file "highres/sprites/monsters/flames.png" }
skin { pal 0 surface 1 file "highres/sprites/monsters/body.png" }

For the first question, you can take a small, lo resolution pic of the model and def that in as a texture. It will then show in Mapster. I forgot which of the def commands to use for this. Maybe tilefromtexture?? The WIKI should show it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 12 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

This doesn't seem to be so complicated :)

But regarding the "surface 0" & "surface 1", if I understand well I certainly have to define those surface as "0" & "1" by editing that model in a 3d software, is that right ? (Otherwise, how the game will know which is the surface 0 and 1 ?)
Sorry for the simple question... :P

Edit: I've just tried, it works ! But how the hell master knows which is surface 0 and 1... ? :)

This post has been edited by David B.: 12 October 2014 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Surface data is stored in md3 themselves, it's determined upon the order each object is selected in Blender at export (in mine at least.) You can read them in Npherno's MD3 Compiler

View PostDrek, on 12 October 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

Surface data is stored in md3 themselves, it's determined upon the order each object is selected in Blender at export (in mine at least.) You can read them in Npherno's MD3 Compiler

Ok, Many thanks !!

To avoid starting a new thread, I have another question here with colliders :

I have a collider problem with my model (I just presume it comes from that).

The "blocking area" when the sprite is toggled to be interactive does NOT match with the model itself !

For example, if the player jumps on the piano, he will be standing far above it... And if the player walks around the piano, there are some places he can walk through it causing visual glitch.

I have posted an image to show the problem in a better way.

So, how could I modify the collider's size/volume of that model and make it match properly ? I didn't see any function like that with Milkshape.
Any idea ? Thanks for help.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: figure.jpg

This post has been edited by David B.: 13 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

You want to make your own "clipshape" around the model in a seperate map out of sectors. That map is titled clipshape#.nap and you include it with your mod, it's a bit more complex, but it's easy. Look in the samples folder for clipshape samples. Or read over this thread I guess too.
http://forums.duke4....clipshape-help/

View PostDrek, on 13 October 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

You want to make your own "clipshape" around the model in a seperate map out of sectors. That map is titled clipshape#.nap and you include it with your mod, it's a bit more complex, but it's easy. Look in the samples folder for clipshape samples. Or read over this thread I guess too.
http://forums.duke4....clipshape-help/

I didn't know this technique.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

The model will take the same clipping shape as the the texture position you have placed it in.
I would just change that instead of making a clipshape for it if it's a simple square shaped model.

I'm exporting models from 3ds max, then converting them with Nphernos in .md3 and adding the skins.
This is working in mapster32 / eduke32 but...

I've now a new problem you certainly well known : the models are bland, I mean with no shading at all.
As the game has no lightning - only based on shading on sectors - what should I do for better results ?

How to obtain some shade on 3d models... while there aren't supposed to have that feature because it's supposed to receive light sources instead ?
Use of light points in Polymer ? How do you use your models so they look fine ?

This post has been edited by David B.: 05 November 2014 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   Mark 

One of the ways is to add a light source in the program that the model is created in. Then when the model skin is saved it will have the proper light and dark faces.

If you don't know how to accomplish that, you can also load the model skin into your favorite graphics program and tweak them as needed for shading or color or etc.... It can be tough to do on complicated models and really easy on the simple ones. Some modelling programs have the painting ability built in.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 05 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostDavid B., on 05 November 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

I'm exporting models from 3ds max, then converting them with Nphernos in .md3 and adding the skins.
This is working in mapster32 / eduke32 but...

I've now a new problem you certainly well known : the models are bland, I mean with no shading at all.
As the game has no lightning - only based on shading on sectors - what should I do for better results ?

How to obtain some shade on 3d models... while there aren't supposed to have that feature because it's supposed to receive light sources instead ?
Use of light points in Polymer ? How do you use your models so they look fine ?

This question has multiple answers, depending on the renderer you plan to use. Are you making a Polymost project or Polymer?

View PostDrek, on 05 November 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

This question has multiple answers, depending on the renderer you plan to use. Are you making a Polymost project or Polymer?

Polymost. I'm avoiding Polymer for performances issues.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options