Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 1 Graphics in EDuke? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 1 Graphics in EDuke?

When I was playing Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch, I got thinking about what other retro games could use a similar treatment. I then thought about the original Duke Nukem and Duke 3D and I wondered: "What if you had a EDuke mod with the graphics of Duke 1 in the first person?" I was thinking that the original three games and Forever could be retold in manner like MM8BDM, but all in the EGA block graphics of Duke 1. I would imagine classic levels like the first Shrapnel City level in Episode 1 and the first Moonbase level in Episode 2 as among the settings to deathmatch, and that the bots would be EGA block version of the Pig Cop and the Alien Trooper, including other Apogee/id heroes like Commander Keen and 006 1/2. I visualize the default weapon has being the Nuclear Pistol, but the rest of the weapons from Duke 3D and the weapon modes from Duke 2 would also be in there.

Is it possible to do implement in EDuke what the MM8BDM did for Zanodrum? How would it be done?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's entirely possible. The first thing you would do is construct a new palette, complete with shading tables and palswaps. With that, the next step would be a basically HRP-like task of replacing every tile with the stylized version you intend.

I would be willing to do the technical stuff for such a project (which wouldn't be that much, but it would need skill to be done right), but replacing a few thousand tiles is no simple task, especially for enemy spritesheets. We would likely need to draw talent from another modding community that specializes in that style and also is knowledgeable with Duke.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options