Duke4.net Forums: {Release} Halls Of Doom - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

{Release} Halls Of Doom  "A Doom inspired mini episode"

User is online   zykov eddy 

Hello guys. I'm heavily inspired by Doom, so I decided to create this mini episode. It consists of three levels, with each level taking inspiration from each episode of Doom. No new textures or code used, since I tried to recreate Doom environment with DN3D resources. DM, COOP and difficulty settings are supported. I'm also planning a steam release.

Hope you'll like it!

Download: https://www.mediafir...tej97zv57r0xcuj

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I like smart and good levels. You aren't bored and you always have "refreshed" design. Doom atmosphere is included too. You should try this episode! I enjoyed it.

User is offline   MetHy 

It was alright. Took me a bit more than 10mins and didn't find a single secret.
It was probably done as well as one could do such a thing in classic Duke, but I still think it doesn't really work very well, like Doom in Duke doesn't really stick.

The barrels were a nice addition but there was not a single moment where the player can actually put them to good use. Also I personally think there was not enough challenge in the enemy placement (played on Come Get Some).

The boss fight was good, probably the best part of the 3 maps.

I would have enjoyed it more if you actually made them in Doom.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 September 2014 - 05:44 AM

Just uploaded this thing on steam, level by level. Music doesn't work in any of them. Is there any way to fix it? It seems like every time I upload a map on steam workshop, it always fails to run new music.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

You have to open the workshop/maps folder open the id number that matches your map. Extract the .ogg file from the zip and place it into the gameroot/music/usermaps folder. Not everyone has this problem it's actually quite strange but that's the way to fix it buddy. I am in the group that does have the problem but a lot of my friends they hear the user map music on all maps and i just think to myself lucky sob. Maybe do what I did with my map and include a discussion topic on your map that explains how to get the music working.

Edit: Also will be checking this episode out asap it looks nice

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 08 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i found the experience rather mediocre.

for me the maps looked a bit dull and the game play was dull and redundant as well.
the levels were short and very linear, weapon selection was pretty limited, and combat was mostly predictable.
i found the boss fight to be the best part.
nothing really stood out as memorable.

that's just me though. i'm sure others will enjoy it better than i.

still appreciate you making it and sharing.

View PostForge, on 08 September 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

for me the maps looked a bit dull and the game play was dull and redundant as well.
the levels were short and very linear, weapon selection was pretty limited, and combat was mostly predictable.

Well, that was the idea - to create levels what are faithful to the original Doom (at least to the early levels), with very basic mapping and straightforward gameplay. Of course it's all predictable by now. Making these levels was actually an unusual thing for me, since I had to put less detail and less logic into the design. I'm surprised MetHy didn't find a single secret, though.

Have to admit, I was expecting that kind of feedback and I'm okay with that. I accomplished my task - to make Doom-faithful levels without using resources from Doom and I'm fine with the results. DN3D was somewhat inspired by Doom, and it was fun finding ways to combine both styles.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 08 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Sorry for making another post but my previous post was just answering your question. I just played this and I honestly say I was expecting more out of it since it was from you because you normally have so much detail "Doomed Entryway" for example :) But I really enjoyed it I am guessing the simplicity was on purpose to give a Doom feel.I don't think they would be viewed as top rated blow your mind eye popping levels but sure as hell are fun and classical and 100% worth playing. Also, I think finding the keys but not actually using them was pretty nifty did you use a touch plate to unlock doors where the keys were ?. I think more details could have made it more pleasing but in the end it was a groovy little episode that packs a classic punch of Doom. I had a lot of ammo for these levels though I played all 3 on cgs but I think it's because I also found all secrets!

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 12 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

Well, glad somebody enjoyed it at least :)
Can you please test the first two levels in deathmatch, btw?

View PostDuke64Nukem, on 08 September 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

But I really enjoyed it I am guessing the simplicity was on purpose to give a Doom feel.I don't think they would be viewed as top rated blow your mind eye popping levels

This.

Also, making Doom-like secrets was probably the best part of the mapping process. Usually I don't put much effort into the secrets, but this project opened up some possibilities. I remember a "hidden locked door" secrets in doom, which you had to unlock by the key and I can remember feeling proud after finding them, so I absolutely had to include one in the project.

Sadly, DN3D has no "shoot the door to open" mechanic, otherwise I would include it as well.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 08 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

...beaten to it by MetHy #3...

View Postzykov eddy, on 08 September 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

I accomplished my task
Yeah, noticing that often makes it up for limited gameplay or eye candy, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm no big fan of boss fights, but this time I didn't even consider to chicken out by DNKROZ or leaving the game. Well done.

Really surprised you people seem to enjoy the boss fight :)

User is offline   MetHy 

Sometimes it doesn't take much to make a fun bossfight, here it's pretty simple but the execution was really good. I had to keep moving to find ammo and health and the BLord even moved in a way I wasn't expecting due to the good layout.

Also I guess I'm not as good at finding Doom secrets as I am to find Duke ones.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Nice work Eddy!

Also, thank god you're alive....

User is offline   Mark 

I watched the video that was posted. I can easily see the Doom vibe it has and I downloaded it and know I will enjoy it.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 09 December 2016 - 10:00 AM

Okay, I have a hard time believing people can't find at least one secret on the levels.
Just look. It's obvious. Different texture on the wall, a classic Doom fashion. It's not like I was trying to make the most obscured secrets possible, just pay some attention and you'll find 'em.

Posted Image

Here's another obvious one. It's not even hidden well, you can see the entrance.

Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

The secrets are the least of the problems eddy :)

I think you captured the feel of each of the Doom episodes in each of your maps and I liked your music selection too. I found the secrets just fine, maybe because they felt similar to the most popular of the Doom episodes. However, I feel like everything is way too big in the Duke world and some enemy placement styles were a little overused.

I appreciate what you were doing with this mini episode but I like your other work more ;)

User is offline   Jblade 

I found a few, but I probably play a lot more Doom than some other regulars here (apart from MetHy I imagine)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postzykov eddy, on 08 September 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Well, glad somebody enjoyed it at least :)

it's not like that. you accomplished what you were trying to quite successfully.

maybe expectations were a little high:

the linear layout and redundant combat sequences just didn't feel that exciting or challenging.

even though the aesthetics were what you were after, the maps still look a bit dull and are pretty static. It's you, so maybe there was some expectation of a more dynamic atmosphere.

Doom maps have been done extensively; even though yours are probably better than most, it's still nothing new without your usual touch.

i recently did this episode with a friend of mine on Steam

i did not know the episode was made into a mod. so me and my friend play them usermap style on Steam and i just added the videos together

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Huh? The "mod" technically came first. And it's because Megaton currently doesn't seem to allow custom episodes.

View PostForge, on 09 September 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

it's not like that. you accomplished what you were trying to quite successfully.

maybe expectations were a little high:

the linear layout and redundant combat sequences just didn't feel that exciting or challenging.

even though the aesthetics were what you were after, the maps still look a bit dull and are pretty static. It's you, so maybe there was some expectation of a more dynamic atmosphere.

Doom maps have been done extensively; even though yours are probably better than most, it's still nothing new without your usual touch.

Oh well. Still, thanks for the review!

I'm fine with the feedback. The episode is straight forward and short, so I didn't expect it to be a hit or something. I just felt I needed to do something basic, just a little break from all that hardcoded/highly detailed stuff.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 12 September 2014 - 06:11 AM

View PostMicky C, on 12 September 2014 - 12:42 AM, said:

Huh? The "mod" technically came first. And it's because Megaton currently doesn't seem to allow custom episodes.

what i was saying is. i didn't know it was made into a mod, i just happened to have just found them on workshop before i found out that they were made into a mod. a friend of mine recently told me about this shortly after i had done the maps co-op style in Megaton

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

The levels were nice hope to play the mod

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options