Duke4.net Forums: Problems running The Gate - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problems running The Gate  "Using a subfolder to load the TC seems to cause them"

User is offline   Mateos 

Good evening,

Yesterday I wanted to play again this TC; Updated EDuke32 with the synthesis, I already had all the files in a subfolder (thegate.con renamed as user.con to work, only have include's for the GRP CON files), in which I have a custom ZIP with OGG musics.

The Predators have a Pig-Cop sound when shot and on death event.

I then tried to copy the GRP and CON to the root (renaming user.con to thegate.con), making a batch (usual eduke32 /xthegate.con /gthegate.grp)... It was just fine.

Also noticed when using the subfolder that my keyboard goes qwerty while through batch or launching without a folder selected it is azerty.

Reproduced on 2 PCs, Windows 7 and 8.1, x64.

Found this in the eduke32.log:

bdefs.con:951: warning: ignored redefinition of `RECO_ATTACK' to 112 (old: 127).
bdefs.con:952: warning: ignored redefinition of `RECO_PAIN' to 123 (old: 128).
bdefs.con:953: warning: ignored redefinition of `RECO_DYING' to 124 (old: 129).

Edit: Keyboard-related log part at the very bottom:

Switching keyboard layout from 00000409 to 0000040C

Any idea? Would you like/need the whole log or anything else about the specs?

Thanks in advance, regards,

Mateos

This post has been edited by Mateos: 03 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

To me it looks like you are not loading the cons in the proper order maybe. You need to run the whole thing with "thegate.con", including the following lines:
include bdefs.con
include buser.con
include bgame.con
include bdp.con

But maybe this is not your problem. You could try with creating a separate subdir within your EDuke32 folder (like "thegate") and select that from the launcher then. You would still need to load the con separately, though (either by renaming it or adding it to your shortcut as parameter).

Note that I am currently working on a release of addons - including "The Gate" - that definitely works with EDuke32 without any setup messes. That release would also include a fix for Predator sprites resizing ingame when you see them for the first time.
If you wish, I can provide you with a preview copy (my restauration regarding original contents on this one is done by now). Drop me a PM in that case - or wait a few weeks more until I can hopefully officially release the full package with all addons.

The other log message about language switching should be normal.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

User is offline   Mateos 

Good evening,

Yeah I saw your add-on compilation topic, nice initiative :) I dunno if it's possible but some teleporters would be great for a TC like The Gate, like on first map if you die at the end or with the Himalaya ceiling coming to ground; and also the fact level are quite large. On Aztech in MP the second player spawns in the middle of the map, in an area which can be reached only after finding to cards... But it's not really the good place to ask ^^'

Well it's just that I have all the require stuff in the subfolder, and it doesn't work properly, while these files are just with eduke32.exe with a batch ad it's fine... So from a subfolder the CON files aren't executed?

OK about the last log, but still, there's some kind of issue while loading a subfolder with the keyboard ^^'

Thank you for the quick answer!

This post has been edited by Mateos: 03 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

If you want the cons to be auto executed, you would need to name them like the defaults (defs.con, user.con, game.con) for them to automatically load without using additional parameters, I think. That's the beauty of the grpinfo feature - lets you tell EDuke32 which con file to use.

The language thing has nothing to do with subfolders. It's because EDuke32 uses SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) 2.0, a multiplatform multimedia library. Especially in Mapster32, keyboard layout wouldn't be the same for everybody due to regional differences in key layouts. Now they basically always switch to US layout whenever you start EDuke32 or Mapster32 so keys stay the same. Gets switched back after you end the programs.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options