Duke4.net Forums: Classic Weapon for Vacation :) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Classic Weapon for Vacation :)

User is offline   Luktom100 

Hey everyone :P

So lately i was playing Duke Caribbean: Lifes a Beach and while i was playing the addon i really missed the old, classic weapons and pickups from Duke. I know, that they are only comsetics and work the same as in original Duke, but for me, they just dont have the proper "Kick" and feel. So heres my question; Is there a gentle soul, which would make some Weapons\Pickups sprite & audio replacement mod for Duke Caribbean, to bring the original weapons, sound and pickups from Duke 3d ??

This post has been edited by Luktom100: 17 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

I don't know if it's the right way but I think you could just delete all the weapon/pickup content from the Caribbean .grp and then the game would use the standard sprites and sounds. I also don't like the replacements myself.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 17 July 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

I don't know if it's the right way but I think you could just delete all the weapon/pickup content from the Caribbean .grp and then the game would use the standard sprites and sounds.

It all depends on how the art files are. If in one (or several) tiles0XX.art files you have all the weapons art and no other art, then yes you can just delete the whole tiles0XX.art file and the game will automatically read the corresponding art files from the original duke3D.grp. However, if an art files holds weapon art AND other art (like game textures, or enemies; that you don't want to delete), then you can't delete that art file and you can't either just delete the textures you want to get rid of within the art file. In a case like this, you'll have to manually replace the weapons textures in the art file by the original game's weapon textures.

For sounds, deleting all the sound files relative to weapon within the vacation.grp should do it.
Although this is assuming that caribbean life used the same sound filenames for the weapons as the original game and would only work if that's the case, but I think it's very very likely that it is the case. If they did used soundfiles with new filenames, then instead of simply deleting the files you'll have to redifine each sound in the con file. That too, however, should be pretty easy as I'm sure you can just copy/paste the corresponding part in the original game's con file.

So basically, how to do it :
- open vacation.grp with grpviewer. Find and delete all the sound files relative to the weapons.
- Extract all the art files, and using a dn3D art file editing program (I think opengl editart can do that? or maybe bastart? I remember I used one but I don't remember the name), read the files and find the weapons art. If you're lucky and if all the tiles0XX.art files with the HUD weapons textures ONLY have the weapons textures and nothing else, you can just delete the whole tiles0XX.Art files. If those tiles0XX.art files have weapons AND other things that you need to keep, you'll have to manually replace each texture with the corresponding ones from DN3D. Using those programs, this is very easy to do, and remember that you'll find what you need in the corresponding dn3D art file (for instance if the devastator replacement from caribbean life is in tiles003.art ; then the original one from the duke3D.grp WILL be in tiles003.art too ; and at the same placement. Just make sure not to mix up the frames when copy pasting them.).
For the weapons and ammo pick-up sprites, I'm very positive that you'll have to manually replace them by the original ones since I'm pretty sure the art files containing those also have plenty of other things you want to keep.
-Then put back your new art files into the vacation.grp and voilà

This should actually be pretty easy especially considering there are tools available that do all the hardwork for you.

I think this SHOULD work but I'm not an expert so I could be wrong. I'm not going to do it though because I personally love the replacements!

This post has been edited by MetHy: 18 July 2014 - 05:38 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 17 July 2014 - 07:28 PM, said:

I don't know if it's the right way but I think you could just delete all the weapon/pickup content from the Caribbean .grp and then the game would use the standard sprites and sounds. I also don't like the replacements myself.

I think they are suitable for the first level, but not really for the rest. I'm also not a fan of the modified monsters.

Almost done the mod. Deleting the sprites didnt do any good, so i copied them, from the orignal Duke3d and pasted, to "Tiles009" and "Tiles010". The weapons sounds have different filenames, so i had to copy the sounds from the original Duke3d.GRP and change their names, for that ones from Lifes a beach, but im having have some minor problems, which i dont know how to hande.

-Devastator is using freeze sound effect combined with RPG launch, where it should only use RPGlaunch effect.
-Freezer isnt using any fire effect at all, where i think it also should use RPG launch effect, but im not sure about this one.

Thats it, enountered only these two problems. Rest of the modified weapons works as a charm.

I tried to search for the sound used by weapons in Defs.con, but its like searching for a needle in a haystack. I really need help to deal with it.

User is offline   MetHy 

Something must be wrong with the way you defined sound. Check again in the original game's con, you can probably do a search to find what you want.

For the freezer, if you mean the animation (textures; not sound) then you must have forgotten to replace the icecubes art by the original game's freezer shots art?

View PostMetHy, on 20 July 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Something must be wrong with the way you defined sound. Check again in the original game's con, you can probably do a search to find what you want.

For the freezer, if you mean the animation (textures; not sound) then you must have forgotten to replace the icecubes art by the original game's freezer shots art?

Thanks, you've been right. Devastator and Freezer use the same fire sound effect, and from some kind of reason i cant find it. Maybe becouse its so generic, so its hard to define it from the other sounds. (Still didnt found it though lolzzz)

This post has been edited by Luktom100: 20 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

User is offline   NNC 

Well, I have to correct myself, as I don't really have problems with weapons here other than the hitscan ones. The voodoo ring is pretty cool for example, and the explosive replacements (also the Freezer) are pretty nice too. The hitscan weapons have OK graphics, but shooting water while pigcops still use their original shotgun is a big no-no. I don't think using normal guns in caribbean environment is unfitting. In fact, it makes a lot of sense based on such B-movies. Shooting water guns however is extremely out of place in all levels. Maybe with some hardcoding, there should have been some additional easter egg style guns that makes no damage, and are there for fun only.

The items are a mixed bag. The banana is stupid and hugely out of place. The sunglasses, protective sandals and the snorkel is adequate and functional. The steroid replacement (Hot sauce) is excellent. The Suntan lotion is utterly stupid, and should have been an easter egg only.

As for the monsters, the ones that bother me the most are the Liztroops. I mean, they wear those baggy suits, which might look good at some levels, but pretty bad on others, and visually it's not compatible at all with the Liztroop's flying ability. Also, the teleporting ones have a glitch as they can't return back and stay forever in teleported phase. I also don't like that annoying inflatable fake Pigcop thing, not only with it's attack, but it's unfitting graphics too. They should have kept the Enforcer, or that planned Iguana Captain that was intended to replace it. Pigcops however look excellent.

User is offline   MetHy 

You're taking this too seriously man. Of course some of the items and weapons are stupid, because they're supposed to. Also for reference the guns shoot "poisoned" water. I like the style of all the enemies (big thumbs up for the Octobrains sunglasses which have 3 glasses!) too and I couldn't imagine Caribbean Life without that, it would lose some of its charm.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 20 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah all the new art and stuff makes the TC feel more complete and really tops off the tropical summer feel, I think it wouldn't be as fun without them.

User is offline   NNC 

Replayed this again. It still amazes me how good Lost Lagoon and Alien Remaining are even by today's standards. Great Build engine features with a good use of SOS, lighting effects, and most secret places are a joy to find. Wavemistress and Full House are the other top levels with good use of textures, and the layout are well done in both. Caribbean Catastrophe and Market Melee are so-so, they have the mood and have very smartly placed secret areas, but the texturing is a bit underwhelming in both levels. Voodoo Caves is just a filler, without any kind of standout points, not a bad one though. Should have been a standard Duke level. Splashy's is my least favourite, confusing layout mixed with annoying scream sounds. Somehow the amusement park theme is not suitable with Duke, just think of Babe Land, which was also rather average.

User is offline   NNC 

As for the SOS, am I the only one who frequently "teleport" into a rather useless green/red pool area especially from the main keycard room? It seems Wieder was somewhat aware of it as the exit has a teleport back to the starting point, but this is still pretty much an annoying addition even if it stands out as a Build feature.

User is offline   MetHy 

In what level? Alien Remains ? There is a huge secret place in SoS in that level, however the teleporter is there for multiplayer. I've never got any teleportation glitch in Life's A Beach even though I played it a lot, and it also has TONS of SoS in almost every level.

I think every level is great. Including Voodoo Caves, I love its layout and it has some great ideas, like the rising water, the long wooden bridge in the canyon, and the sunken ship. Also Voodoo Caves is the only level in the entire episode that's entirely well thought for multiplayer (both DM and COOP), as it added tons to make sure there is no multiplayer issue and that it flows well in DM. In this regard it is the least rushed level, as every other one has multiplayer issues.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMetHy, on 25 July 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

In what level? Alien Remains ? There is a huge secret place in SoS in that level, however the teleporter is there for multiplayer. I've never got any teleportation glitch in Life's A Beach even though I played it a lot, and it also has TONS of SoS in almost every level.

I think every level is great. Including Voodoo Caves, I love its layout and it has some great ideas, like the rising water, the long wooden bridge in the canyon, and the sunken ship. Also Voodoo Caves is the only level in the entire episode that's entirely well thought for multiplayer (both DM and COOP), as it added tons to make sure there is no multiplayer issue and that it flows well in DM. In this regard it is the least rushed level, as every other one has multiplayer issues.

Yeah, I was talking about Alien Remains. The telepoter next to that area in fact works well with SP, unlike other teleporters in the level, which are all MP only. And I frequently get into that area, especially when I crouch and run into wall. I even have this problem in Build. The problem might be that the area is at the exact same height.

User is offline   MetHy 

I'm not sure what you mean. The secret place with green walls and red lava? Yeah I got the teleporters wrong, those aren't meant for DM, they're just connecting both sides of this area together. But the buttons which are inside the teleporters, any teleporter, can work in SP too, if you somehow get there (by using DNCLIP or a glitch) you can use them, which is what I thought had happened to you with other teleporters.
And yes both areas are in the same exact spot and SoS teleportation glitches SEEM to be more easier to happen when it's the case... But the fact that it happens in Build/Mapster is perfectly "normal". In mapster/build most of the times you hit a red wall in a SoS area you get teleported to the other area, even if it's at a very different height.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMetHy, on 25 July 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

I'm not sure what you mean. The secret place with green walls and red lava? Yeah I got the teleporters wrong, those aren't meant for DM, they're just connecting both sides of this area together. But the buttons which are inside the teleporters, any teleporter, can work in SP too, if you somehow get there (by using DNCLIP or a glitch) you can use them, which is what I thought had happened to you with other teleporters.
And yes both areas are in the same exact spot and SoS teleportation glitches SEEM to be more easier to happen when it's the case... But the fact that it happens in Build/Mapster is perfectly "normal". In mapster/build most of the times you hit a red wall in a SoS area you get teleported to the other area, even if it's at a very different height.

OK, maybe I will make a video about the glitch after my vacation (1 week) and upload it on Youtube, just to show what's going on.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options