Duke4.net Forums: Overused? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Overused?  ".."

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Hey there people.. I'm having trouble with getting anything done. Everything related to Eduke32. When I map i just build, sometimes I create something from scratch and sometimes I create something that already exist. Now that is not where the problems starts. My maps that I create in these last couple of years are mostly getting build on allot of details. Because this is how I map right...now the problems seem to appear when I map and the use of sectors is almost getting overused. So I can't get everything I want in one map. This really bugged me out, it's annoying. Is there anyone out there he has the same problems? And I simply want to release a map one day a great detailed map. Let me know!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Ever tried map caching? With a bit of con code, you'll be able to set a series of maps up sort of like a hub; if you leave one map to go to another, then come back to the original map, you'll find the original exactly how you left it; dead bodies, bullet holes on the wall, etc. Kind of like Half-Life.

It's been around for a few years by now I imagine, so it'd be a shame if something of yours wasn't released simply due to lack of knowledge of this feature.

I'm currently working on a "map" that's actually split up into 4 or 5 different maps, all linked with this system (partly because of the detail, and partly so that I could work freely without stressing over the wall/sprite limit).

User is offline   Kyanos 

Micky forgot to mention we used it inKnee Deep for the polymer versions of the map, to help with frame rate. You can look at it in action.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how the post has anything to do with map caching or existing projects.

He's saying he can't finish a map.

I'm not a mapper, but based on his post I would advise him to stop fucking around with details and map based on creating gameplay. Also, develop a plan for the map, even if it's just a rough plan, that includes how the map will end. Maybe even start from the end and then work back to the beginning, to ensure the map has an ending. But I doubt he will take this advice.

User is offline   Gambini 

With the time I learned that a map is about an experience and not a place. You don´t need more detail than what´s required to put the player in the mental state you want for him. We here at the Duke World commit, sometimes, the mistake of judging a map by the amount of detail put into it. Maps for Duke are many times more of a technical feat than an experience. It is difficult to provide a new experience with the overused duke content, so we rely on detail sometimes. Like Dan says, think of an idea, work it, imagine yourself playing that map that is in your mind. Don´t have one? Think of it, think what you want people to feel when playing it. While I haven´t succesfully applied this idea yet: The plan should take you as much effort as the developing process. Don´t rely too much in blind shots, they help but just sometimes. Of all the screenshots I remember you posting, none of them were of bare duke stuff, they´re always themed and properly provided of consistent assets, that should be enough to save you from the sectors/walls limit.

I know this may sound like a joke coming from me, who used to spend a lot of time detailing stuff that hardly would sum up to the experience. But I´ve been slowly changing my mind about that. I don´t think I´ll ever sacrify experience by detail again. I consider that as part of my slow skills evolution. And having been through the process already I´d advice anyone considering my opinion worth to think about it.

PS: Yet, more on the line of your concern, there´s a contradictory opinion I hold: Any map will always be given to improvements, but it´s up to your decision taking skills to know when to stop. :P

This post has been edited by Gambini: 12 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 12 July 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how the post has anything to do with map caching or existing projects.

View Postdarkcaleb, on 12 July 2014 - 06:41 AM, said:

I can't get everything I want in one map. This really bugged me out, it's annoying. Is there anyone out there he has the same problems? And I simply want to release a map one day a great detailed map. Let me know!

I took this to mean that he wasn't able to put all the detail/areas/ideas into a single map that he wanted due to map limits.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 12 July 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

I took this to mean that he wasn't able to put all the detail/areas/ideas into a single map that he wanted due to map limits.

If someone can't manage to make any maps that have fewer than 4096 sectors and 16384 walls, then they are doing it wrong.

• Honored Donor

For a typical Duke map, perhaps. But it depends what your intentions are, and some people might want to be a bit more ambitious. Then again, there's a case for making a simple episode in that scenario.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

The man likes to build, nuttin' wrong with wanting to build a highly detailed map throwing the "rules" to the wind. It's the creation of worlds/environments basically an art-form. Good for the mind, yet bad for the cash flow due to the time consumption lol.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options