Duke4.net Forums: bad performance with polymer on amd - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bad performance with polymer on amd

User is offline   doubletap 

hi,

it seems theres something going horribly wrong with the performance of the polymer renderer on amd cards. for example im using a fx8320 cpu and hd 7950 gpu and i have very poor fps except for small rooms. for example in the first Level when you go behind the Cinema Screen after it has been shot and look at the mirror, inside that room the Frames drop so badly its hard to imagine. im not sure what is going on there since with nvidia Cards the polymer runs just fine even on low end Systems. can you clarify on that whats Happening to the Performance here and why it is so bad on amd Cards with polymer?

best regards, Keep up the good work

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

http://forums.duke4....ge__pid__196643

Thanks for searching.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 13 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

View PostThe Commander, on 13 June 2014 - 09:05 PM, said:

wow, thats fucked up. still thanks. i hope you'll improve amd support in the future though.

User is offline   Kyanos 

maybe AMD could improve video game support in the future

View PostDrek, on 14 June 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

maybe AMD could improve video game support in the future

i cant imagine that its impossible for eduke to run with the same Performance as with nvidia Cards. is there no way of Fixing this or adding true amd Support? like what are you developers missing? whats exactly the Problem here causing such horrible Performance?

best regards

User is offline   Mark 

There is only one developer here on the forums that has the knowledge to make the highly technical changes you ask for. He has a job and life outside of these forums and so its a long slow process to get Polymer optimised.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View Postdoubletap, on 18 June 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

i cant imagine that its impossible for eduke to run with the same Performance as with nvidia Cards. is there no way of Fixing this or adding true amd Support? like what are you developers missing? whats exactly the Problem here causing such horrible Performance?

best regards

the problem is amd doesn't support a proper texture cache system. Hires textures plus normals and spec maps all get streamed in live on amd cards, nvidia cards get an on board RAM texture cache to keep things in memory and easily accessed.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Plagman has already put in more than enough effort to try to get eduke32 to run as best as possible on AMD. Forget the fact that the polymer code is 110% openGL compliant, he has put in several tweaks and workarounds in an attempt to fix various AMD problems.

AMD isn't the issue, it's how Polymer is coded.

User is offline   Gambini 

AMD: Anal Manufactered Dildos

View PostDrek, on 19 June 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

the problem is amd doesn't support a proper texture cache system. Hires textures plus normals and spec maps all get streamed in live on amd cards, nvidia cards get an on board RAM texture cache to keep things in memory and easily accessed.

View PostMickey C, on 19 June 2014 - 06:30 AM, said:

Plagman has already put in more than enough effort to try to get eduke32 to run as best as possible on AMD. Forget the fact that the polymer code is 110% openGL compliant, he has put in several tweaks and workarounds in an attempt to fix various AMD problems.

View PostThe Commander, on 19 June 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

AMD isn't the issue, it's how Polymer is coded.

View PostGambini, on 19 June 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

AMD: Anal Manufactered Dildos

well, maybe eduke can use the new mantle api in the future? i dont know. its coming to linux also and will be open source. directx12 could be also utilized, maybe? my 7950 has 3gb of vram, my pc has 16gb ram - why not store some textures in it? i feel like eduke is just merely optimized for nvidia cards and that hurts me deep inside my duke since polymer is such a an awesome thing. ^^

just some recent news about it...

http://techreport.co...gests-amd-huddy

http://www.fudzilla....mantle-on-linux

User is offline   Kyanos 

A quote from the link.

Huddy told PC World that AMD is "getting requests to deliver this high-performance layer" to Linux.
Yeah, well AMD has been "getting requests" to fix Catalyst on Linux since forever, so I'll believe AMD when they produce working code.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postdoubletap, on 20 June 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

new mantle api

View Postdoubletap, on 20 June 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

directx12

Changing APIs amounts to rewriting significant portions of the renderer.

What is likely the case is that Polymer is 100% OpenGL compliant, but there are areas in the standard left undefined or implementation-defined that AMD happens to do something performance-hindering with. That, and/or NVIDIA's drivers are "smart" about optimizing for a path that isn't actually the optimal one for performance.

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Could be that OpenGL doesn't get much preference on some video card, I've noticed different systems handle openGL differently, some better, some worse, even if the specs are similar. Its a shame really as AMD used to be one of the better brands, I'd pick it over Intel, but since Nvidia has switched sides, AMD was left with ATI which was one of the worst video card brands I've ever used besides a 3rd rate off-brand one. It could be that the horrible ATI has been grandfathered into AMD's graphics processing. There's not much developers can do about this except to pick a side, but of course that limits distribution even more. Using DirectX would severely limit how many OS's that Eduke32 could run on. Its a shame that now you have to be weary of AMD products.

OpenGL is very weird.

Take for example Minecraft, it uses OpenGL but you get better performance from a ATI card than a Nvidia card near the same specs/model.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options