Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior Beta v.90 "Lost Levels" - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior Beta v.90 "Lost Levels"  "So here's the plan ....."

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

The plan is to eventually remake all of the beta "lost levels" to work with v1.2 retail Sw.
I hope to eventually create a TC called "Lost Levels" when completed. In the mean time I'm going to need the maps to be tested.

Here is the first completed map - $Shadow.map

Text file :

Shadow.map

Modded by: Robman (April 2014)
Mod Time: 10 hours.

This is a map from the leaked SwBeta .90 release.
Most of the maps in the beta were NOT used in the final retail version.

The Beta version used different coding for the special effects ie: Doors, sound fx, lighting, enemies etc..
Initially when trying to play these maps in the final v1.2 release, none of the effects work and the map is NOT playable.

I have completely re-done this map to be compatible with the 1.2 version, all effects and gameplay layout are made by me as I have never gotten this map to launch using the beta version.

If you have played this map with the beta software, this will be a different experience as I can only read the mind of the original author to a certain extent + I have added some polish.

- Skill levels implemented.

- Singleplayer & Wangbang.

Visit Shadow Warrior Central www.swcentral.weebly.com or www.wangsdojo.net

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Yes, the above room is hideous :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
- Not affiliated with 3drealms.

Map download Shadow.map

Map Info: HERE

This post has been edited by Robman: 16 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

A long worthy effort!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Wow that 4th shot looks hideous; the texture is so ugly and it's everywhere! :) (the texture filtering isn't doing it any favours either).

Some of the others look nice though, even if they're understandably a bit on the basic side.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

It's true, that room is kinda ugly, lol..I could change that X where the half dead guy is hanging from into a metal texture, would likely look better.
I didn't build the architecture or pick the textures ( I did choose the texture for the doors though ).. anybody know who the original author is?

The map will still be subject to some tweaks over the course of this.
There is 5 secret areas.

Might choose a map called $PIECE3 to work on next, looks really nice.

This post has been edited by Robman: 16 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

I just played it but, the layout is just weird, did you decide key and level progression? Because unless I missed something it looks like the part requiring the red key isn't mandatory; and also apparently you can skip one of the keys by going through the secret (unless the white key also unlocks the door to inside but I don't think so; or perhaps one isn't supposed to get into the secret room with the uzi and shotgun and small bed and toilets from the first side of the map, before using the white key, but I was able to).

It's always good to have a new worthwile SW map but this one just feels like it doesn't have a well thought up layout.

Edit : edit ; okay so you did make the layout. I've replayed the map to make sure I wasn't saying anything wrong.
I think you got lost with the mapper's intention, I guess it's hard to guess what was the original progression intention when everything is interconnected due to deathmatch reasons.
So, it is totally possible to skip using the white key altogether by jumping on the blue dog and into the window here to get through the secret works
screenshot : http://cloud-2.steam...BE0BDE901EFDF9/

And then, the red key and the whole part opened with the red key is skippable, not required to beat the map.

I'd suggest blocking the secret from the blue dog side; not making it completly blocked as it is there for deathmatch reasons I suppose (to link both areas in another way) but perhaps reverse the way the secret here : switch the "go through" wall and the one that is openable with a button, so that the entrance to the secret is inside the other area, after you've used the white key.
Then I'd do something with that red key locked area. Perhaps replacing the gold key by the red keycard and putting the gold key inside the red-locked area (like, after the small bridge with the rocket launcher) would do the trick; but I'm not 100% sure of that, perhaps i'm forgetting something here...

Also this solution works by using what's been done by you as a base, but perphaps there is an even better solution to be found when thinking the whole level progression over.
Actually, that secret and how it allows to skip the white key bothers me. Either it means there is something wrong with how you concieved the start of the level and the palyer shouldn't be able to get to that secret before using that key; OR on the contrary, it shouldn't even be taken into account as after all, this was an unfinished product and perhaps the secret would have changed in the end.

Finally, I don't know if YOU made weapon and item placement, but I'd say you should take the uzi of the first secret and put it in the first play area somewhere. Two reasons for that : one, while it's totally doable as it is, i'd say there isn't enough weapons at the start (I had to use the katana quite a bit as well as avoid the suicide bomb guys and get the shotgun; but, I got lucky here, because i went to get the shotgun first, a player could go very well go all the way around before finding the shotgun and in this case ammo and weapons would be VERY VERY tight, hence the uzi) and secondly, there is WAY too much stuff in that first secret so it'd make sense to take out the uzi to put it in the first playfield area.
And also, I thought there was way too much health around. I played on skill3 and I didn't use half of the small 20hp red healthpacks around the map and only needed one of the two full 100hp medipacks. I'd recommend getting rid of the 2nd medipack (BUT to move a couple of 20hp packs where to 2nd medipack here; don't forget the player is bound to take dmg from using the canon right there so, unless you make it so that the player doesn't take dmg from using it, you shouldn't forget to provide health just before using it; or you could get rid of the first medipack instead of the 2nd one).

In any case, I like what you are doing : any new worth playing SW content is totally welcome as there is few. How many maps will there be in the end?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 17 April 2014 - 03:03 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Valid concerns, I'll explain.

The only key that I added was the gold key that is for the final end button door, the original author seemed to have it linked to the silver key door which made zero sense to me. Other than that, I could tell which doors were locked by what keys and left them as such. I agree the gameplay of the map is alittle muddled yet I'm not sure everyone would discover the cheat through the window which skips over the silver key door, although in the retail version of Sw, things like that are possible sometimes ( jumping off the ninja's head and moving through the window by the riot gun in seppuku station comes to mind )

As for weapons, I had a role in the placement because the original author counted on you having weapons from a previous level and for that reason there was very few actual weapons in the map, and most of them were set to multiplayer only. I didn't know what to do with the red key section so I just stuck the rocket launcher in there.

The canon damage is unavoidable and I actually moved the canon back as much as I could, lol .. yes I wondered what was up with that aswell. And oddly most of the red 20hp health packs were medkits in the original .. there was like 15 medkits in the map originally. There was also way more cookies.

If you like, I could put the original map up for download ( which you would need cheats ie: swghost to complete ) so you could see what I was up against.

It looks like there is about 35 maps in the beta.. oh my.

The layout of this map makes me think it would be really good in multiplayer aswell. Something I have to keep in mind when making these maps playable.

I'll definitely take your concerns into consideration yet at the same time I don't want to get hung up on 1 map for too too long.
It's a good idea to take the uzi out of the secret and into the open, I'll do that. I'll also remove the medkit from the silver key room.
The red/gold key thing I just might do, but then what to do with the RL? It would leave you getting it at the very end of things.

Here are all of the unfinished Beta maps as extracted from the Beta .GRP file. ORIGINAL BETA MAPS
MetHy, open up $Shadow.map for an idea of the rats nest I had to untangle.

This post has been edited by Robman: 17 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Well, don't take it personally, you said the map needed to be tested in your first post, so it felt like you asked for the constructive criticism I gave.
If you want to do this, I think you should take the time it needs to do it well and take full potential of the maps intead of leaving whole areas skippable like that just for the sake of "moving on to the next map", otherwise it's not really worth the trouble if it ends up being as simple as a quick mash up.

The maps should feel as pro as possible in respect to the original material's, the original mappers work, and the original game.

I'll have a look at some of these maps, I wonder how many have as much potential as this one.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I'm totally not being cranky :) .. more or less I'm saying here's the original.. let me know what you make of it because the way things are tagged it's almost impossible to know what does what. I wish I could get these maps to launch in the beta. But only maps 1-4 launch for me using the swnext cheat. Trust me, I respect your views on the situation. On 1 hand I don't want to be changing any sectors really but just tie it all together. Judging from another look, I think the original authors intent would have been more confusing buut.. who knows. I'm also sighing a bit of relief because I think this map needed the most work of some of them.

Here's a hint at why it was confusing .. all of the moving sectors ( doors mainly ) are sector tagged 0/100 no lo-tags to tell me what it links to or what switch may affect the sector. The way the lighting/doors etc.. are tagged and made in this version are NOT how it's done in v1.2.. so it's kinda chinese to me.

$mine.map and $piece3.map look like they have good potential. $mine has some cool stuff.

btw.. I posted this here in part hoping you would take interest and respond with ideas and input, but at the same time I have to explain why I have done what I've done to begin with.. so keep the ideas coming.

I'll do some more work on the map and we'll see if you like the changes to address some of your concerns. Probably have the changed map up later today/night.

edit: I got the original version of the map to launch with the beta software by simply going into the setup.exe and launching the map as a user map. Unfortunatly it didn't help 1 bit as the map is every bit as messed up as when you try it with v1.2 + it crashed when those accursed heads explode. So there goes that idea. I guess we'll never know how it was originally intended to be played.

edit2: Just removed the medkit by the silver key and also removed some random 20hp healthpacks. Moved the Uzi just outside the invisible wall secret at the beginning. The only problem I'm having with putting the gold key in the red locked lava room and then put the red key up where the gold key was it that, now the hallway area where the red key is currently becomes useless. I would move the RL to that area but then for multiplay the lava room becomes useless and then it seems to just snowball into changing just about everything, lol. I think I'll leave it with the first mentioned minor changes and then see how others receive it. I toyed with having that spiked crusher start in the closed position and be activated by a sector elsewhere by the red key but it didn't really work out.

edit3- Ok, so I'm gonna do that key and rocketlauncher swap. And put a missile pack set for multiplayer only in the red lava room with the gold key ! .. going to go do that now. OK that's done and the changed map up for download. That should address most of what you said, the window secret will stand though. I think that improved things, the RL looks pretty nice up in its new home :)

This post has been edited by Robman: 17 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Ok, I just reversed the way you enter the "window secret" because I know it bothered you so much, hehe. I think that wraps up your list of bugaboos.

Rename or delete your old copy and redownload to see how you like the changes.

Did you give the reworked map a try?

It's odd that I would find Frederik's thread about the beta releases tonight having just recently begun work on this..

I see SW threads don't go very far here, lol

This post has been edited by Robman: 18 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I'm curious, is that Micky C .. or Mickey(can't remember how he spells it) There is a BillC and HillaryC in this OLD ten duke chat screenshot..

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Robman: 18 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Micky isn't THAT old aha.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Oh, lol .... :S

• Honored Donor

Remember when I was known as Garek? "Never tell the truth when a lie will do"

Posted Image

Edit: I can't believe you spelt my name wrong Lunick :)

This post has been edited by Mickey C: 19 April 2014 - 01:14 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

You tried.
Posted Image

Seems common for people to do that when their last name begins with C (Mickey C, DamienC, BarryC to name a few I've seen around the net) but not so much with other letters. I know a few words that start with C...

-----

On the other hand, this looks like an interesting idea of a map and there are never enough SW maps to play. I'll be sure to check it out if I get chance.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 19 April 2014 - 01:41 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostLunick, on 19 April 2014 - 01:27 AM, said:

You tried.
Posted Image

Posted Image

That's a typo.

User is offline   MetHy 

Just replayed the map, it's much better like this indeed. Now the only place that's not mandatory to visit is where you get the rocket launcher and the medipack so that totally works as reward for exploration :)

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Lo Wang takes a time out to check in @ Shadow Warrior Central..

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options