Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

You're a few years late for that. We got all of our George-screaming done to the point we became hoarse from it.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Halloween Harry would be awesome. Imagine the opening scene with the alien ship diving under Manhattan done by the same guys who made the Star Wars intro scenes - then hunting zombified commuters in a blacked out subway system.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostSpastic Lagomorph, on 02 September 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

You're a few years late for that. We got all of our George-screaming done to the point we became hoarse from it.

Yeah, that and Gearbox released the game.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostTea Monster, on 02 September 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

Halloween Harry would be awesome. Imagine the opening scene with the alien ship diving under Manhattan done by the same guys who made the Star Wars intro scenes - then hunting zombified commuters in a blacked out subway system.

Zombie Wars The Animated Series had a pretty diverse cast and some plot concepts that could be worked into a neat game.

View PostSpastic Lagomorph, on 02 September 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

My whole point was, you guys are blaming the wrong studio for lack of mod tools :D.

View PostJimmy Gnosis, on 01 September 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

And few years ago...
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 02 September 2015 - 04:05 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

There should be a picture of Fresch being beaten as he goes to Duke aid.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I'd say its the other guys fault for taking to long to kick out those betas before word spread. That's what it truly boils down too. we all knew there was going to be something to stop them from coming out, it was a race that was lost.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I really don't see how GB would take issue with release of outdated versions of a game from 1996 unless they plan on using old ideas for future projects.

This new lawsuit thing shouldn't mean no release of SW {which was what this topic started out about
), ROTT, etc. assets. though, seeing as those still belong to 3DR.

View PostCorvin, on 02 September 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

I'd say its the other guys fault for taking to long to kick out those betas before word spread. That's what it truly boils down too. we all knew there was going to be something to stop them from coming out, it was a race that was lost.

Please, allow me to quote myself here:

View PostAltered Reality, on 04 August 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Man, is this wait killing me. If Fresch is a 3DRealms fan as he claims, how can he not know that he's doing it wrong? He should know that what 3DRealms fans hate most is waiting, and the only way not to make us wait is to only announce something when it's released. Instead, he's playing games like George! "Prepare for August"... except he never said what year!

View PostAltered Reality, on 04 August 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

No, not after what 14 years of waiting for DNF brought us. We're worn out, we've got a thousand-yard stare and we're tired of the waiting game.

View PostAltered Reality, on 04 August 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

If there's anything I learned from being a Duke fan so long, it's cynicism.
I've got a friend who hasn't learned this lesson yet, so, every time a game is announced, he gets all hyped up, and many times, he gets disappointed. Many times I had to tell him "Don't fall for premature hype, stay relaxed, remember DNF..."
The fact is that I learned so well not to get hyped up, that now announcements have the opposite effect on me.

If they desire so fervently not to redeem themselves from their current status of laughingstock of the gaming community, but instead they want to dig themselves even deeper...

Is it too much to ask not to be told whether there's anything to wait for until something gets released? So we would get the evidence that we are not the only ones who changed (for the worse), but the people who caused us to change in the first place have now changed too (for the better)!

I do too. Do you know what I'm doing right now, besides writing this post? Reading the OldUnreal forum and making an Unreal map (mapping for Unreal being the closest activity to mapping for DNF one can do).
Usually I'm glad that I can multitask...

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 02 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

View PostCorvin, on 02 September 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

That was the problem they announced the beta release project to early. Richard and Evan did the best job possible, no fault at all should be placed on them. All blame for this failure is on Fredrick. Getting shit like this ready for release is a daunting task to say the least, and frankly takes time to get done, which it seems like he didn't account for.

I really don't see how GB would take issue with release of outdated versions of a game from 1996 unless they plan on using old ideas for future projects.

It's a another Duke headache I doubt Randy wants to deal with right now, and honestly could anyone really blame him?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 02 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Honestly, if Randy allows the betas to be released like they were supposed to be under 3DR's banner it would go a long way to winning back the Duke community.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 September 2015 - 07:36 PM, said:

Honestly, if Randy allows the betas to be released like they were supposed to be under 3DR's banner it would go a long way to winning back the Duke community.

I think making sure the next Duke game doesn't suck is a higher priority then the betas :D.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah but I'm talking about something that actually might happen.

• The Sarien Encounter

Also, I was thinking about nitpicking your grammar until I realized that it still makes some sense if you add this:

View Posticecoldduke, on 02 September 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

I think making sure the next Duke game doesn't suck is a higher priority, then the betas :D.

I'm really sorry to hear that 3DRealms lost the rights to Duke betas, I bet they were really good too, Maybe in the future 3DRealms can buy The Duke Back and release them, I don't want to see Duke end up like the army men series.

This post has been edited by Turok 64 Jr: 02 September 2015 - 10:47 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View Postgerolf, on 02 September 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

I suppose the beta versions could be sold (e.g. bundled with the full game)? That would be the only reasonable way to make profit off these assets anyway (assuming that the Duke Nukem IP was acquired in order to generate further revenue and not just get shelved).

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

So how did 3DR lose the rest of the Duke rights?

From what I understand, they lost the rights in 2009-2010 for all future Duke games including Forever, and they retained everything up until Forever, including "Survivor" which was Mass Destruction, and the Duke Nukem movie rights.

How did they lose the remainder of the rights? Did they sell them?
Also, do 3DR still own Shadow Warrior?

This post has been edited by Trebor_UK: 04 September 2015 - 02:38 AM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 September 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

Yeah but I'm talking about something that actually might happen.

Making a Duke game that doesn't suck will happen if Duke is freed from the shackle of being only a parody. Being a parody means that a Duke game will always only shine with reflected light, never with its own. It means waiting for someone else to do something, and then twist it into a version that might not necessarily be funny (which is what DNF did), as opposed to breaking new ground (which is what Duke3D did). And even if there are some jokes along the game... the keyword here is SOME. We don't need to be reminded EVERY! FUCKING! SECOND! that we're playing a parody, or we inevitably end up only thinking about what that thing is a reference to, instead of enjoying the game.
I'll make yet another comparison with Blood Dragon here. Yes, Blood Dragon was funny and had lots of references to 1980s pop culture... but you had to LOOK for them! They weren't constantly slapped in your face, and you could enjoy the game even without finding them, because the mechanics of a free-roaming FPS with laz0rs and explosions were fun on their own.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 03 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

View PostTrebor_UK, on 03 September 2015 - 03:05 AM, said:

So how did 3DR lost the rest of the Duke rights?

From what I understand, they lost the rights in 2009-2010 for all future Duke games including Forever, and they retained everything up until Forever, including "Survivor" which was Mass Destruction, and the Duke Nukem movie rights.

How did they lose the remainder of the rights? Did they sell them?
Also, do 3DR still own Shadow Warrior?

Devolver Digital bought the Shadow Warrior IP.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostAltered Reality, on 03 September 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

Making a Duke game that doesn't suck will happen if Duke is freed from the shackle of being only a parody. Being a parody means that a Duke game will always only shine with reflected light, never with its own. It means waiting for someone else to do something, and then twist it into a version that might not necessarily be funny (which is what DNF did), as opposed to breaking new ground (which is what Duke3D did). And even if there are some jokes along the game... the keyword here is SOME. We don't need to be reminded EVERY! FUCKING! SECOND! that we're playing a parody, or we inevitably end up only thinking about what that thing is a reference to, instead of enjoying the game.
I'll make yet another comparison with Blood Dragon here. Yes, Blood Dragon was funny and had lots of references to 1980s pop culture... but you had to LOOK for them! They weren't constantly slapped in your face, and you could enjoy the game even without finding them, because the mechanics of a free-roaming FPS with laz0rs and explosions were fun on their own.

I was playing SiN the other day and came across some Chips A Whore! cookies in the breakroom of the dam.

Duke Nukem Forever couldn't even make fun of shitty cookies without being derivative.

Which reminds me, if you haven't played SiN yet, put it at the top of your list. Simply phenomenal. Easily in my top 5 FPS games ever. It's the spiritual successor to Duke 3D and was so innovative it's still new and fresh in 2015. Also it gets the parody thing down pat just as well as Blood Dragon and Duke 3D. Oh yeah, and LEVELORD did most of the levels!

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 04 September 2015 - 01:46 AM

View PostReaperMan, on 30 August 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

So does that mean Gearbox owns all of Duke now?

So. Is this like Interplay losing the rights to sell Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics to Bethesda Softworks and those games end up disappearing from GOG.com? Will it happen to all Duke games on GOG.com and Steam also? If so damn.

And God forbid I hope Gearbox is not gonna make Duke Nukem 3D closed source. I do not want them to take down all the links to the Duke 3D's source code off the web for good and issuing C&D orders on the Duke Nukem 3D Modding community. I will be pissed if they do.

Hypothetically, theoretcially and maybe worst case scenario?. What if Gearbox Software becomes a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive? That means all of the Duke Nukem, Brothers in Arms, Homeworld and Borderlands IPs are now properties of Take-Two Interactive? What difference would it make?

View PostPerson of Color, on 04 September 2015 - 01:26 AM, said:

I was playing SiN the other day and came across some Chips A Whore! cookies in the breakroom of the dam.

Duke Nukem Forever couldn't even make fun of shitty cookies without being derivative.

Which reminds me, if you haven't played SiN yet, put it at the top of your list. Simply phenomenal. Easily in my top 5 FPS games ever. It's the spiritual successor to Duke 3D and was so innovative it's still new and fresh in 2015. Also it gets the parody thing down pat just as well as Blood Dragon and Duke 3D. Oh yeah, and LEVELORD did most of the levels!

Already got the GOG.com version of SiN and it's expansion Wages of SiN. Got it on sale for $2.99! :D

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 04 September 2015 - 07:09 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Which reminds me, if you haven't played SiN yet, put it at the top of your list. Simply phenomenal. Easily in my top 5 FPS games ever. It's the spiritual successor to Duke 3D and was so innovative it's still new and fresh in 2015. Also it gets the parody thing down pat just as well as Blood Dragon and Duke 3D.

You know, this is one of the few shooters of the day I really wanted to play and didn't get around to. Hmm. Next time I get paid, I might just....

Oh yeah, and LEVELORD did most of the levels!

Ka-ching, sold! Off to GOG!

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostTea Monster, on 04 September 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

You know, this is one of the few shooters of the day I really wanted to play and didn't get around to. Hmm. Next time I get paid, I might just....
Ka-ching, sold! Off to GOG!

Atta boy!

Seriously, we're all heartbroken about Duke yet again getting assfucked.

For the love of all that is holy, DROWN YOUR SORROWS IN WHAT DUKE NUKEM FOREVER COULD HAVE BEEN!

Realize how great things could be if Duke was given a competent team. Play SiN! Gearbox isn't just going to sit on this IP - this could be your next Duke game!

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 04 September 2015 - 10:43 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

Already got it.
Nope, don't need it.

User is offline   t800 

Well, vision of Alphas getting released were mostly wishful thinking for me (guess I already got too cautious regarding Duke IP to get hyped). Our only remaining hope is as Methy mentioned, Gearbox trying to mend its reputation with community by releasing them.
I dont worry about Duke 3D getting pulled off from stores, that would be completely moronic from whomever holds rights of it now, just as closing source.
What I am wondering more about is current status of Hail To The King Collection. I hope those 2 years of development and betatesting, Beloko's programming, Fox's amazing work on recreation of Total Meltdown and those cool replacements for skyboxes were not for naught. So could we get some official clarification, please? :D

EDIT: Just realized, there was not word said about rights to older builds of SW. Were they part of this sue, and thus lost too?

This post has been edited by t800: 05 September 2015 - 04:09 AM

User is offline   nukemania 

View Postt800, on 05 September 2015 - 03:59 AM, said:

What I am wondering more about is current status of Hail To The King Collection. I hope those 2 years of development and betatesting, Beloko's programming, Fox's amazing work on recreation of Total Meltdown and those cool replacements for skyboxes were not for naught. So could we get some official clarification, please? :D

This.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

All I can say is that the contracts for HTTKC don't have any terms in them allowing either the licensee or licensor to cancel them on a whim. Transferring IP to another party doesn't just dissolve all contracts associated with it. I have been assured that there won't be an issue.

User is offline   t800 

Great relief to hear, wishing you success at least with this project. :D

I think once again. What's the rights status of the pre-DNF games like Duke Nukem 1,2, 3D (and it's addons), and Manhattan Project? Are they still w/ 3D Realms? Will they be pulled from GOG.com, Steam and the 3D Realms store in the future? How a/b the rights to the console Duke games like 64, Total Meltdown, Time to Kill, Land of the Babes and Advanced? Will all of those games be transferred to Gearbox? I need some clarification and conformation.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 06 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options