Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Mark 

I guess I made a joke that landed flat. I was 99 percent sure that Polymer was not going to be used. I was only throwing in another annoying plea.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 July 2015 - 12:17 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what is the status of the two already leaked beta versions (Duke3D v0.99 and SW v0.90)? Will they be officially re-released, or have they already become de facto legit?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

There is no reason to question their legitimacy. Besides the ridiculous amount of work it would take to make something like that (art, maps, executable, etc) it wouldn't match pre-release material (such as magazine scans) discovered since them.

This post has been edited by Fox: 30 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I did not ask if those were authentic - this is beyond reasonable doubt. I was asking if 3D Realms deems the distributions of these originally illegally leaked pre-release versions as legal now.

User is offline   Fulsy 

I need to ask, does the recent ruling about the rights to Duke Nukem effectively shut this effort down?

It's a really a shame to think that we will never might possibly not see any of this content due to legal bullshit.

This post has been edited by Fulsy: 22 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

If that was the case I'm sure there would (will) be a statement about that by now.

User is offline   t800 

Posted Image

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I haven't asked anyone yet because I'm afraid of the answer.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

WHAT. So the lawsuit was over the whole entire Duke IP? I always read "Duke Nukem IP" in those articles but I guess I never realized what that actually meant. Well, that sucks.

Well if anything, we'll have yet another reason to hate Gearcocks if this is affected by the lawsuit.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

How about we just be optimistic unless informed otherwise.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMicky C, on 23 August 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

Ha-ha, sure :D

View PostMicky C, on 23 August 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

Agreed, but with how things sound so far, it's pretty difficult to

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

If 3DR DID lose all rights to past Duke Nukem games im going to be royally ticked off. We didn't ask for them to make a new iso Duke game and as a result we've lost what we DID want.

But I still don't believe that's the case. They're still selling Duke3D and haven't taken the old games down.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

IIRC, the IP dispute was over DNF, future Duke titles, and the use of the character excluding any Duke game prior to the release of DNF.

I'm pretty sure that's what everyone involved has been telling us this whole time.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 23 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postgerolf, on 23 August 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

IIRC, the IP dispute was over DNF, future Duke titles, and the use of the character excluding any Duke game prior to the release of DNF.

I'm pretty sure that's what everyone involved has been telling us this whole time.

This is all conjecture, but there's always the possibility that they were found to be infringing and had to turn the remainder of Duke over to Gearbox in lieu of some heavy financial penalty.

I will let you guys know as soon as I know more, assuming I'm allowed to repeat whatever it is I hear. Keep your fingers crossed.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

oh man, took to long in getting that stuff out.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 August 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

But I still don't believe that's the case. They're still selling Duke3D and haven't taken the old games down.

These things probably take a litlte time. I don't believe Steam or GOG would take down everything immediatly because they recieve an e-mail from Gearbox. They probably need proof, and proof that they take the time to study.

And that's granted Gearbox has already sent the email and are not too busy doing a group jack-off over a giant picture of Duke. That, and they may not even yet own the proof of what they own.

What I mean is, we can't really know yet and we just have to wait.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 23 August 2015 - 10:26 PM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I wouldn't believe my eyes if any of this is true. Infact they would be full of tears. I'm just going to hold my tounge right now seriously. Someone should seriously clarify. It kind of worries me that its not a quick response to these worries.

After all its kind of a yes or no situation, that is of course if this legal issue is actually over... Then its a yes or no answer am I wrong ?

Sorry for sounding a bit like an emotional wreck but uh this hole thing shouldn't be a question.

This post has been edited by 64Ghost: 23 August 2015 - 10:54 PM

that'd be stupid of Gearbox if they tried to take down Duke ports off of Steam and such, even if they might somehow now own the IP of Duke or whatever

User is offline   MetHy 

This is just hypothetical, and I doubt it'd be taken down even if hands were shifted.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

What fans want < Corporate Legal Dept.

Every time.

User is offline   Steve 64 

View PostMetHy, on 23 August 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

These things probably take a litlte time. I don't believe Steam or GOG would take down everything immediatly because they recieve an e-mail from Gearbox. They probably need proof, and proof that they take the time to study.

And that's granted Gearbox has already sent the email and are not too busy doing a group jack-off over a giant picture of Duke. That, and they may not even yet own the proof of what they own.

What I mean is, we can't really know yet and we just have to wait.

It would be pretty damn stupid if gearbox went that route taking down EDuke32 Megaton Duke 1 Duke 2 and MP, I think those games should stay on there people have been buying those games like crazy

• Senior Artist at TGK

Just got in my mind:

> 3DR lost Duke Nukem in 2015.
> GRBX releases all stuff of DN3D in 2016.
> GRBX announces the new game of DN in 2016.
> GRBX releases the new DN game in 2017 and it is a really good game.

I know this looks like false, but damn! The first "step" has already been done. What if GRBX will make something good with Duke in future?

P.S. I always wish Duke the best. I hope 3DR will get back their child ASAP.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I just hate all guessing-fest on this thread... :D

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The only way that 3DR is going to get Duke 'back' (with heavily exaggerated air quotation marks) is if Fred wants to pitch a polished and enhanced version of Reloaded to Gearbox.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 29 August 2015 - 03:24 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostArtem Nevinchany, on 28 August 2015 - 12:23 AM, said:

Just got in my mind:

> 3DR lost Duke Nukem in 2015.
> GRBX releases all stuff of DN3D in 2016.
> GRBX announces the new game of DN in 2016.
> GRBX releases the new DN game in 2017 and it is a really good game.

I know this looks like false, but damn! The first "step" has already been done. What if GRBX will make something good with Duke in future?

P.S. I always wish Duke the best. I hope 3DR will get back their child ASAP.

Interesting logic. What you're forgetting is that:

> 3DR lot Duke Nukem around 2009
> GRBX released DNF and it was shit
> 4 years have passed and there's been no announcement that they're working on the next game

Hopefully they will release a new game in the future, and that it's good, but let's stick to facts and evidence rather than speculation. It's just a waste of time.

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostMicky C, on 29 August 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

Interesting logic. What you're forgetting is that:

> 3DR lot Duke Nukem around 2009
> GRBX released DNF and it was shit
> 4 years have passed and there's been no announcement that they're working on the next game

Hopefully they will release a new game in the future, and that it's good, but let's stick to facts and evidence rather than speculation. It's just a waste of time.

Why do you blame Gearbox for DNF? They did not develop it, did they?

• Honored Donor

They must have had it in development for around 2 years and must have been doing something to it. Although there is a 2009 trailer that shows it looking pretty similar to the final release. The point being they shipped it and so had the final say in how it turned out. Apparently they cut lots of optional areas resulting in the super-linear maps we ended up with, in order to increase framerate on the consoles.

I'm sure if they start a new Duke game from scratch it should be much better than DNF (I mean it can't really be any worse right?). The only worry would be how much they dumb it down for mainstream audiences. On the other hand, the industry seems to be moving away from regenerating health, ultra-linear levels and two-weapon limits which is a good thing.

In hindsight, out of all the development cycles of DNF, they decided to ship the worst possible one at the peak of the whole regenerating health COD craze. If they'd just held on another few years they probably would have scrapped that and moved back more to traditional Duke territory Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I'm really curious as to how Gearbox would make a Duke game. From the sounds of it they are outsourcing a new one to a third party, but I want to know what Duke Begins was going to be, for instance.

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options