Duke4.net Forums: Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material - Duke4.net Forums

• 82 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3D & SW - Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

While going through roughly 25 years of history after we acquired 3D Realms, we recovered a lot of great material.

I'd like to use this thread to share our Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior findings with you.
If some of you have already seen these, oh well :)
To the rest of you, Enjoy!

First up - A few Un-Used Logo's from Duke3D:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Secondly, a few old Shadow Warrior assets:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 August 2021 - 10:17 AM
Reason for edit: revived images

User is offline   Lunick 

The Shadow Warrior art really is top notch. I also like the Apogee logo.

• Slipgate Studios

I have uploaded the Shadow Warrior Art in PSD, Layered, 4k resolution.
You guys can download both directly from here, and here. Great Resolution for Print! :)

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 August 2021 - 02:37 PM
Reason for edit: revived links

User is offline   Doomfrost 

Any other games in there that have alpha/beta material or is it just Duke/Shadow Warrior related?

• Slipgate Studios

View PostDoomfrost, on 16 April 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

Any other games in there that have alpha/beta material or is it just Duke/Shadow Warrior related?

We can share material from anything 3DR, except Prey and DNF, as those specific titles are owned by Bethesda and Gearbox Software.

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 16 April 2014 - 04:44 AM

Thanks for the high res Shadow Warrior art! That's the kind of thing I've been hoping to see for years. There's just so much great game/box/promo artwork from the era that hasn't been seen in its original form outside of the developers' studios. It's nice to finally see Wang in glorious archival quality.

This post has been edited by RinyRed: 16 April 2014 - 04:45 AM

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 16 April 2014 - 04:39 AM, said:

We can share material from everything 3DR, except Prey and DNF, as those specific titles are owned by Bethesda and Gearbox Software.

Cool beans. Do you know if there's anything of Duke 1 and 2 worth posting? What about Death Rally or Wacky Wheels?

This post has been edited by Doomfrost: 16 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

• Slipgate Studios

View PostDoomfrost, on 16 April 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

Cool beans. Do you know if there's anything of Duke 1 and 2 worth posting? What about Death Rally or Wacky Wheels?

We haven't stumbled upon any yet, but I'll definitely keep you posted If we find any!

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 16 April 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

I have uploaded the Shadow Warrior Art in PSD, Layered, 4k resolution.

Huge thanks for posting this!

• Slipgate Studios

View PostDaedolon, on 16 April 2014 - 04:51 AM, said:

Huge thanks for posting this!

You're welcome :)

• Slipgate Studios

Next Update.

I found an early version of Shadow Warrior.
Dated June, 1996.

It seems to have a completely different set of levels, the graphical style is more towards the serious and realistic.
Very Interesting :)

I've attached a capture of the folder, as well as a few photos of the game.
Sorry about the screen-glare. We are getting a new sunscreen set up, so we're currently working while wearing sunglasses :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 August 2021 - 10:18 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

That's amazing. I suppose LameWarrior wouldn't be viable?

• Slipgate Studios

Duke Nukem 3D Builds - From every year and most months of development (And a lot of days)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 August 2021 - 10:19 AM
Reason for edit: revived image

• Slipgate Studios

Unfortunately no luck getting these to work so far. The builds are split into multiple rar's.
Putting the correct files together is a bit tricky as they seem to be located pretty randomly.

I'll keep you guys updated :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Amazing! Thanks for sharing all this stuff (and hopefully more)!

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 16 April 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

Posted Image

Does it have the crossbow?

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 16 April 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Unfortunately no luck getting these to work so far. The builds are split into multiple rar's.
Putting the correct files together is a bit tricky as they seem to be located pretty randomly.

In case you have managed to assemble all the files from a particular build but it still refuses to work in vanilla DOSBox, you can try DOSBox SVN Daum. At least, Shadow Warrior shareware v1.0 and v1.1 that for some reason do not run in regular DOSBox work fine in DOSBox SVN Daum.

User is offline   jet_nick 

I suppose it never will share files art of shadow warrior beta right? :)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

/me falls on knees and begs to share everything

Could I ask that you repost the images, where possible (especially the pixel art) in PNG format? (I mean conversion from the original and not JPEG --> PNG but you know that.)

User is offline   jet_nick 

I suppose it never will share files art of shadow warrior beta right? :)

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 16 April 2014 - 04:22 AM, said:

Posted Image

From the one leaked SW beta we have:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 August 2021 - 10:20 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

please please make those alphas/betas public if you can, even if not playable from the go. Just being able to explore it and stuff would be amazing!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Wow, thanks for sharing that!

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Isn't there supposed to be a build of Duke Nukem: Endangered Species that one forum member got his hands on, but wasn't allowed to share? I'd like to see that approved for release.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 16 April 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

Isn't there supposed to be a build of Duke Nukem: Endangered Species that one forum member got his hands on, but wasn't allowed to share? I'd like to see that approved for release.

Yeah, that was Nacho.

User is offline   Darkus 

Whoa :)
When I think all of these versions have a 'never-seen-before' content, especially those from Shadow Warrior,
this makes me kinda jaleous, since I have bought SW because I have seen the beta screenshots from the DN3D CD.
I hope you'll make available those betas, or at least the resources, it would be awesome!

EDIT: I wonder if those models still exist...

This post has been edited by Darkus: 16 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostHendricks266, on 16 April 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Yeah, that was Nacho.

Still waiting on that!

I doubt 3DR's archives would have much Endangered Species content (except maybe for the box art which I'd love to see) since it was developed externally, but if the okay could be given to Nacho for him to release the build he has to the public, that would be swell.

That's really neat! I'd really love to see the stuff maybe before/immediately after Lameduke's production. Lameduke's concept was so god damn cool.

Go Fred! He's our man! If you don't suck it, Viper can!
Or you can insert my name. Uh huh huh.

Looking at the SW screenshot, it seems to show the old SW player character as an enemy. This explains why the old ninjas in the unused SW beta maps are giant Lo Wangs using the old ninja palletes; the devs used the player character's sprites for an enemy at one point. I originally thought it was because of something like the art file getting shuffled around after the old ninja enemy was scrapped.

This post has been edited by MYHOUSE.MAP: 16 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

Pretty neat, is there a way to look into the .grp files themselves and see if the art is different than the retail?

This post has been edited by Doomfrost: 16 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Fred, now this is cool. I'll tell you, the best PR move you guys could ever make is assembling a crack command unit from the community and allow them to extensively trawl through these betas and things for unique assets. Trust me, this community has more than enough of the capability to do all of this for you guys given you provide the opportunity, that's assuming you guys aren't as familiar with BUILD as the diehards in this community. I'm even going to cease shit talking you guys in an act of good faith, because it looks like you guys really want to nut up and do by 3DR and this community right, which is all I care about. Small personal blathering does not matter at such a juncture. This could be very beneficial for you guys and the community, and it looks like you guys are going in the right direction. I dig it. Thanks for what you've shared so far, and even if you guys want to dig through it yourself don't be afraid to ask questions. A lot of us really do know more about this stuff than anyone should.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Some observations about some things you should maybe keep an eye out for:

Shadow Warrior Stuff:
Spoiler

Duke Nukem 3D Stuff:
Spoiler

Other Stuff:
Spoiler

There's plenty of other stuff I could mention, but these seemed more obscure to me. I might come up with some more and add them in another post. Happy hunting.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 16 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

Share this topic:

• 82 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options