Duke4.net Forums: Mergers, Acquisitions and Takeovers of companies. - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mergers, Acquisitions and Takeovers of companies.  "Are you getting sick of them? Your take?"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 May 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Forge, stop being edgy, you'll scare the Baby Boomers.

i didn't think it was that edgy
i could have said ass cancer

This post has been edited by Forge: 19 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostForge, on 19 May 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

i didn't think it was that edgy
i could have said ass cancer

And offend the Gen X'ers?

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 May 2014 - 04:29 PM, said:

That's crap. Like I said some of these guys put in a lot of hard work, time, and energy to keep to a schedule to put out multiple videos every week.

I didn't say they weren't putting in a lot of hard work etc... YouTube isn't valid... it is a free slash advertisement-based site. Use a real video host server and advertise if you are doing something real. YouTube was never meant to be more than a garage sale level place to post videos of your relatives falling off ladders, destroying personal property and a best of all, a great place to enjoy injuries. (as most hunmor is based on the misfortune of others anyway) Oh! I don't forget adorable pet and animal videos. :) Anyway, if someone is serious about putting ANY effort into something like game reviews, product reviews etc, YouTube should not be considered. You get what you pay for with YouTube and any other "Free" service.

MusicallyInspired said:

Claiming otherwise is simply disrespectful and ignorant.
Maybe so... again, I wasn't saying they don't work hard and many have very professional "shows". But why work hard for something you can't control? I hosted my own Web Server from my home for 12 years because of that crap... just for my game reviews and all the other content I wanted to call the shots on. See? If you are serious, you will do it. If you NEED money from it, YouTube is not a valid way to do it, because you have no say, no control etc.

MusicallyInspired said:

There's also the argument that these people are providing an extremely valuable service by reviewing said games.
Maybe, but without obvious, tangible financial value it doesn't matter. If it was measurably valuable, game companies would be hosting free sites for people to review their games on.

I continue to agree with the majority of your post... relative to the value of game reviews. Nothing is free on the internet... and getting paid for something from a "free" site is a very volatile, very temporary pipe-dream... someone pays a price... sometimes that price is lack of control over your content. YouTube is one of many such entities.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 20 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostForge, on 19 May 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

is that hooker really a dude?

If she doesn't have a dick, why bother with a hooker?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The thing is, before the whole copyright flagging debacle, YouTube was givng the impression to content creators that they intended on making YouTube a place where people could make money this way. And personally, that's how I see the future of video media. It's not in TV. It's in services like YouTube and Netflix. Then somewhere along the line the barage of copyright infringement flags just forced them to give up and screw over all the content creators they were trying to make a mutual business relationship with. Sure, the YouTube we have today isn't the ideal system for that kind of thing, but it was on the road to it and all the content creators believed it and were working with them. This wad a major backstab to them and YouTube gets off scot-free while still keeping all of their share of revenue.

I don't agree rhat YouTube is a useless free and unreliable service to make serious money with. Well, as things are now I agree, but it shouldn't have been that way. There are a myriad of services to make money with online now that are "free". YouTube is one. Bandcamp is another (and much more ethical and functional). There's even Desura (though I don't know if selling games there requires a fee or a cut). To me these are all just as legitimate as Steam, iTunes, and Netflix.

More and more companies are realizing that by working together with content creators for their platforms everybody can make money by encouraging community-based crreative arts. Even Valve are rolling out some interesting plans for Steam with people creating modded content for games and selling them (hats are only the beginning) to the point of people being ng able to create their own stores on Steam to sell game assets, mods, and games themselves.

Obviously there are a lot of kinks to work out, as evidenced by YouTube's duplicity, but I believe that's the way to go. Independent film, video, games, music, etc are getting easier to do on your own all the time and I think that's a good thing. We should not be cynical of it. Cautious and careful, yes, but not negative.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 May 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

The thing is, before the whole copyright flagging debacle, YouTube was givng the impression to content creators that they intended on making YouTube a place where people could make money this way.

The impression first came from the name YOUtube, but they were working to build that image.

All of a sudden, YouTube provided third party copyright holders with full control to delete content without any questioning. And now they don't just have the power to delete content, but to transfer the revenue to themselves. The situation is beyond ridiculous, networks show videos they took from YouTube and then claim they own the very same videos.

Can you imagine if it worked like that in real life too? For example, there is a company who claimed they owned the color blue. They could decide on their own that every products that uses the color blue - clothing, cars, websites - would have all of their revenue transfered to them.

This post has been edited by Fox: 20 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

Apple buys Beats for $3 Billion.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDustFalcon85, on 28 May 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

An overpriced technology company I never purchase from buys overpriced headphones I never use.

Turn the page.

• The Sarien Encounter

It's a good thing I don't care about brands. That's all this is. One brand controlling the moneyflow of another popular brand.

Our fears have confirmed. Google/Youtube buys Twitch.

http://www.gamespot....mpaign=homepage

• The Sarien Encounter

Gahh...

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

A billion dollars for a shitty company with no assets, that serves a niche market, with customer service so bad people would bolt the fuck away from it given the chance.

Great job, Google! Did you REMOVE HORROR yet?

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 25 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Watching people stream video games is for fucking degenerates. There is no "second tech bubble," goy.

View PostJimmy, on 20 May 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Fucking go outside.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 25 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostProtected by Viper, on 25 July 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

REMOVE HORROR

That whole ordeal was so fucking funny :P

I viewed Twitch streams just to see that. That entire debacle should have been a red flag to anyone looking to purchase this company. Twitch's management is General Motors levels of incompetent.

That's how you know something is a niche market - when outsiders care about office drama more than the content your users create.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 26 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostProtected by Viper, on 26 July 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

Twitch's management is General Motors levels of incompetent.

Speaking of which, am I the only one who facepalms a little bit inside when I hear of someone thinking of buying (or eventually buying) a Chevrolet (or as I like to call them, Click Click Kabooms)?

This post has been edited by Comrade Major: 26 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

With the exception of a 1987 Trans Am GTA, and a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora V8, every GM vehicle I've test drove in the past five years had the shittiest feeling ignition switch ever. The moment you turn the car on, it just makes you say "ugh." I've owned two Hyundais, a 2004 Mustang GT, and the rest of my family is Subaru/Lexus. I'm used to an ignition switch that feels nice.

Doesn't surprise me one bit they'd try to cover up a metal plunger and a spring. What a bunch of idiots.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 26 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

My Chevy is a fucking pile of shit.

And fuck "watching other people play video games." This isn't Korea, you degenerates. My dad's gf's kids literally watch videos of MineCraft for HOURS. I don't fucking get it.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 27 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

Why don't they just fucking play it?

I don't understand how downright absorbed in technology today's youth are. Or, for that matter, modern day nerd culture (Which is even more isolationist). I mean, it's kind of an issue with people in their 20's but teenagers and younger literally can't be pulled away from a screen.

Even when Zelda 64 was king shit, that game was a half assed excuse against actually exploring in the woods or riding your bike...and I was a fucking fat kid. And I still am fat.

Also, what the fuck happened to edutainment? I'm sorry but I'm still feeling Bill Nye's impact on my mindset 20 years down the line. I'm not kidding. That really changed how I took in information. I've been ravenous about scientific stuff ever since.

I mean, seriously, I would say at least half the television I watched as a kid was educational. Moreso as years went on, and I moved to New York, where Cablevision actually gave us fucking channels like Animal Planet, unlike gay ass Comcast. That was pretty much the end of Nickelodeon for me.

There's more content than ever, but it's all crap.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 27 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

The complexity of the answers to your questions are off the scale of what I would even attempt to convey on a forum. I have an issue with verbosity anyway, so maybe someone else who understands can answer those questions with a reasonable level of explanation.
Normally I read far more than I respond, sometimes because I don't know or understand or there is no response needed, but more often because my response will not be condensed enough that most anyone will read it. Sometime I also don't have time as well. Most of the time when I post I type out what I wish then spend the next few minutes condensing it as far as I can without too much loss on meaning. I find this frustrating sometimes as so much is lost in this compression. If the compression causes too much loss, I often never actually post. This happens often and when it does I say to myself jokingly "Lame Post" relative to Lame Duke... as without this polish, the end product just isn't worth bothering or at least doesn't represent what I wanted to say.

The point to the above statement is related to the below quoted material is why I even got here.

With that said, I have some speculations or theories that are brief enough to attempt.

View PostProtected by Viper, on 27 July 2014 - 10:04 PM, said:

I wondered this too when I first learned about this. While I like watching videos of gameplay to learn about them, to see if I might want to play them.
Speculations
1. Economics? Maybe they are poor and have adapted to only watching what others are able to do?
2. Motivational? It could be that they are just so ultra lazy compared to earlier generations and would rather be fed input than interact.
3. Social? It could just be the influence of society that the concept of being fed rather being more interactive/inventive/creative is completely ok which would compound with #2 (no pun).

Protected by Viper said:

I don't understand how downright absorbed in technology today's youth are. Or, for that matter, modern day nerd culture (Which is even more isolationist). I mean, it's kind of an issue with people in their 20's but teenagers and younger literally can't be pulled away from a screen.

I don't have much exposure directly to many children, but my girlfriend son is now 15 and we talk about this at times as he grew up with me from age 4 until one year ago... living in the country, growing food, heating with firewood etc. Although he has some "laziness" that at times seems appalling to me, I don't know that he is that different from myself at that age other than some maturity differences. He DOES note how so many of friends are "still smart" which he interprets based on how much they remember, not an actual assessment of their intellect, but are SO uninteresting. He goes on and on about how they can't talk about real things "like we do". That is hard to define here with a paragraph of background. <deleted> Anyway, listening to how he defines all the new kids he is exposed to is pretty foreign to me.

Protected by Viper said:

Even when Zelda 64 was king shit, that game was a half assed excuse against actually exploring in the woods or riding your bike...and I was a fucking fat kid. And I still am fat.
My dad would not ever get us like an Atari as we were really poor anyway, but he did get us a Commodore Vic-20 in 1982 which I spent a LOT of time on... but like you describe I didn't divorce my bike and my exploration of the woods.
I believe it worked this way for myself (and possibly you) because we already had a base of doing such things. Most of these kids are "born" with this tech in their hands and I believe they just never make it to a bike or into the woods.

Protected by Viper said:

Also, what the fuck happened to edutainment? I'm sorry but I'm still feeling impact on my mindset 20 years down the line. I'm not kidding. That really changed how I took in information. I've been ravenous about scientific stuff ever since.

I mean, seriously, I would say at least half the television I watched as a kid was educational. Moreso as years went on, and I moved to New York, where Cablevision actually gave us fucking channels like Animal Planet, unlike gay ass Comcast. That was pretty much the end of Nickelodeon for me.

There's more content than ever, but it's all crap.
Yep... television today is pretty bad. Hahaha... ok, just kidding cause I have not watched television in over 15 years. I have seen a tiny bit a few times over the years at other houses. Of course there are plenty of things to watch that are interesting, but it seems the vast majority doesn't choose those. Around 2000 I dated this girl that had cable and we watched the surgery channel and other stuff I can't remember now, but it was almost all educational.

When I am getting pressure from family or others to "get out more" or "do things in society" or whatever I generally explain my resistance of such things like this... I am not an "entertainment" type of person... I seldom go to movies or watch movies and I don't watch television because they simply aren't enjoyable. Then there is those who enjoy going out to eat often, attending sports events or other large-group social events. The point is that the majority of people I know seem hyper-focused on "being fed" rather than doing.

When movies or games are extremely entertaining to me, I almost always build things relative to them... take the Nuke floor for example. Why don't more of us ride bikes, explore woods, and have Nuke Floors? I can't answer this, but it seems related to what I view as "the entertainment" types vs the "bike riding, woods exploring" types.
Posted Image

It is easy to say "Lazy", yes? But lazy is relative in a way as we no long have to survive in a natural way. Many thoughts, but out of time. Go to go out to the woods, so to speak. :P

More later maybe...

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Forge 

that's why they have all those comicon, furfest, E3, etc....

to get those pasty people out of the house

View PostForge, on 28 July 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

that's why they have all those comicon, furfest, E3, etc....

to get those pasty people out of the house

That's why I fucking hate nerd culture man.

I leave my house to do things I don't do at my house.

I know people who go to Comic Con who aren't like that, but damn dude, most of them are.

If I'm going to spend an hour on a train to get into the heart of Manhattan, you better bet your ass I'm gonna hop on the subway after that and get lost for hours discovering cool shit to do. Not go into a building full of sweaty chodes.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 28 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostProtected by Viper, on 28 July 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

If I'm going to spend an hour on a train to get into the heart of Manhattan, you better bet your ass I'm gonna hop on the subway after that and get lost for hours discovering cool shit to do. Not go into a building full of sweaty chodes.

i bet you're popular in your cosplay outfit too

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

I look better in this one honestly.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 28 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

As Black Cat pointed out, I think it's mostly economic. Their computers are junk (even by my standards). They mainly play Facebook games.

Beats the fuck out of me. My interest in computer shit only fostered because I was really poor (but already had a computer) and lived in the middle of nowhere. If I had lived somewhere else I would have skateboarded and gone to concerts and probably done heroin. I don't get how kids today have no interest in actually doing shit. It's terrifying.

Also, what the fuck happened to edutainment? I'm sorry but I'm still feeling Bill Nye's impact on my mindset 20 years down the line. I'm not kidding. That really changed how I took in information. I've been ravenous about scientific stuff ever since.

Even the non-educational shows often had educational aspects to it. 15 some years later and I still remember "life lessons" I learned from shows like The Adventures of Pete and Pete and Hey Arnold! I watched PBS all the time as a kid. Fond memories of Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, Billy Nye, The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. A lot of shit I absorbed as a kid sticks with me so much today. I doubt this generation will feel the same way. It's a disposable culture. Most kids shows today are usually degenerate as fuck or "LOLOLOL LOOK HOW WEIRD AND UNIQUE I AM" (usually still degenerate.) I can't stand Adventure Time and shit like that, and mind you I'm the type of guy who will get drunk in the afternoon and watch Ed Edd and Eddy for three hours so the fact that it's a cartoon isn't the problem.

View PostMrBlackCat, on 28 July 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

My dad would not ever get us like an Atari as we were really poor anyway, but he did get us a Commodore Vic-20 in 1982 which I spent a LOT of time on... but like you describe I didn't divorce my bike and my exploration of the woods.
I believe it worked this way for myself (and possibly you) because we already had a base of doing such things. Most of these kids are "born" with this tech in their hands and I believe they just never make it to a bike or into the woods.

Likely. When I was a kid, I can remember at one point having a TV, a computer, N64, SNES, and NES. All of which I used a lot. But only when I couldn't go skateboarding.

Furthermore, I recommend reading a book by Bill McKibben called The Age of Missing Information. He wrote this circa 1990. It's incredible how he foreshadowed so much of the Internet age before it was even relevant. This book is more relevant now than when he wrote it.

View PostJimmy, on 29 July 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

As Black Cat pointed out, I think it's mostly economic. Their computers are junk (even by my standards). They mainly play Facebook games.

Not really dude, most people who watch streams have played the games before and people do stream using consoles and capture cards. It's a highly degenerate subculture.

Beats the fuck out of me. My interest in computer shit only fostered because I was really poor (but already had a computer) and lived in the middle of nowhere. If I had lived somewhere else I would have skateboarded and gone to concerts and probably done heroin. I don't get how kids today have no interest in actually doing shit. It's terrifying.

I fully agree. My family was middle class until my dad started his own business and it took off. The rich kids didn't play outside as much.

Speaking of going outside, I also don't like how even that has been destroyed. Modern day cars involve installing as much sub par electronic crap as possible, instead of actually being fun and sporty, or offering a cheap ragtop. Oy vey, don't enjoy the journey goy, immerse yourself in shitty dubstep while driving your even shittier Scion!

Even the system in my dad's brand new Lexus feels like a 486 when you compare it to an iPad. BUT MUH SCREENS.

Can we escape from technology for just one second? For just one fucking second? The car is barraging me with shit, the gas pump now has a Jewish rectangle on it, and it's playing ads out of fucking Idiocracy, my phone is exploding with worthless Facebook notifications, and I have to sign my name with an electric pen that makes all my signatures look straight of SPED class. Fuck this gay Earth.

Even the non-educational shows often had educational aspects to it. 15 some years later and I still remember "life lessons" I learned from shows like The Adventures of Pete and Pete and Hey Arnold! I watched PBS all the time as a kid. Fond memories of Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, Billy Nye, The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. A lot of shit I absorbed as a kid sticks with me so much today. I doubt this generation will feel the same way. It's a disposable culture. Most kids shows today are usually degenerate as fuck or "LOLOLOL LOOK HOW WEIRD AND UNIQUE I AM" (usually still degenerate.) I can't stand Adventure Time and shit like that, and mind you I'm the type of guy who will get drunk in the afternoon and watch Ed Edd and Eddy for three hours so the fact that it's a cartoon isn't the problem.

I don't understand Adventure Time's appeal. It was on the TV a lot when I was out in Cali, because I stayed in a house with kids. It's not bad or annoying, it's just not very stimulating. The only educational thing I saw was them finding an old truck in the woods and explaining the parts of an engine and what they do when they were restoring it. Everything else was near emptiness.

Likely. When I was a kid, I can remember at one point having a TV, a computer, N64, SNES, and NES. All of which I used a lot. But only when I couldn't go skateboarding.

I could use them whenever I wanted, but imagination was better.

urthermore, I recommend reading a book by Bill McKibben called The Age of Missing Information. He wrote this circa 1990. It's incredible how he foreshadowed so much of the Internet age before it was even relevant. This book is more relevant now than when he wrote it.

Definitely going to read that now.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 30 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostProtected by Viper, on 30 July 2014 - 10:04 AM, said:

Can we escape from technology for just one second? For just one fucking second?

a well placed coronal mass ejection should do the trick

The irony that this is all posted on an internet forum by people who seem to spend large quantities of their day on that forum is incredible.

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHigh Treason, on 30 July 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

The irony that this is all posted on an internet forum by people who seem to spend large quantities of their day on that forum is incredible.

Is it more incredible than the self-inherent irony of Rage Against The Machine?

User is offline   Forge 

View PostHigh Treason, on 30 July 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

yep. but i don't copy pages then make a slideshow out of them for later viewing by all the tumblr weirdos

This post has been edited by Forge: 30 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options