Duke4.net Forums: How to install latest synthesis of EDuke32 in Linux? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to install latest synthesis of EDuke32 in Linux?

I don't want ancient versions, I want to try the latest and test them out.

How do I install EDuke32 synthesis in Linux? I run Fedora(latest version), supports sudo + YUM. Someone might as well add a repo for development snaps in YUM, would be a good idea?

There is no repo for YUM currently.

This post has been edited by Baron_Samedi: 29 January 2014 - 05:52 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Building from source would be your way to go. Once you've set up everything,
make veryclean && svn update && make -j OPTOPT="-march=native"
or similar should give you the latest binaries at any time. (Add RELEASE=0 for debugging builds.)

Well the one time I didn't get two errors trying that I added OPTLEVEL="2" just in case and it still errored once, and the game isn't ever building properly.

I also changed GCC version, no luck.

Did someone else try this?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Try omitting the quotes from the command line parameters. If it still fails post your command line and the complete compiler output as attachment or between spoiler tags.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Check out the wiki on this matter. It's usually lagging behind the latest developments a bit, though.
If something still gives trouble after following the advice on that page, post the compilation log here, perferably in a spoiler tag or as an attachment.

User is offline   Kathy 

Damn, why haven't I noticed that wiki page?! Gonna try installing it again via source.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Rather than only saying that "you got two errors", the only way we can help you is if you post what the errors actually are.

Given the current state of the wiki page, I would guess that you don't have the SDL2 and SDL2_mixer development packages installed. If that is the problem, I would like to know what the yum package names are so the wiki can be updated.

(A warning in advance is that you may get a crash when building with SDL2 and GTK. More on that later if you actually encounter it.)

User is offline   Kathy 

Can I post here about problem with running the game compiled from source?

Spoiler

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You'll have to either compile WITHOUT_GTK=1, and therefore without the startup window, or compile with SDL_TARGET=1 to use SDL 1.2 instead of 2.0. At present, we haven't capitalized on any of SDL2's extended functionality, so you can safely revert to 1.2 without any compromises.

K, I got it working but I don't want to go thru the same hassle every single time an update is made.

Would it theorically be possible for someone to make a RPM version, specifically of the dev version?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHendricks266, on 29 January 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

You'll have to either compile WITHOUT_GTK=1, and therefore without the startup window, or compile with SDL_TARGET=1 to use SDL 1.2 instead of 2.0. At present, we haven't capitalized on any of SDL2's extended functionality, so you can safely revert to 1.2 without any compromises.

Thanks, compiling with SDL 1.2 solved the problem.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostBaron_Samedi, on 30 January 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

K, I got it working but I don't want to go thru the same hassle every single time an update is made.

I use ccache (most likely available from your distro) to speed up compilation when most files have not changed. I don't think that a couple to a few dozen seconds worth of build time can be called a hassle.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options