• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown  "Full mod, not lite version"

User is offline   Mark Knight 

• Total Meltdown Composer

View Postoasiz, on 06 February 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

I really liked the tunes in PSX duke as well, not just a simple MIDI slapped trough some fancy synth and call it "CD Quality music".
Slight genre / bpm twists make the tunes so refreshing to hear.

I've seen "Mark Knight" pop up a couple of times in finland in some posters, is that actually you ?
Tivoli and Waterland* comes to my mind, posters caught my eye as I was just working on early stages of reverse-engineering this format.

That pizzed remix sounds really interesting, it's actually one of my favourite tunes since it's so laid back and chill.

Well the intention was to appeal more to the European market, which is why there was the genre change..

Ha, no... there's a DJ called Mark Knight - it'll be him. You'll find me as Mark 'TDK' Knight, or just TDK online... although there is now a DJ TDK.... that's not me either.... they just keep nicking my name(s) :lol:

User is offline   Steve 64 

I love mark knight music Jungle Dick is my favorite from the PlayStation from tier drops and Duke Royal I believe,

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

Was Metallic Horrific 1 suppose to be part of the soundtrack and if so, what level was it going to be on?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I assume all songs in the game are part of the soundtrack, but it was someone else who decided which level they would play on.

This post has been edited by Fox: 06 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

As you've probably worked out, I'm crap with naming things. Jungle Dick was called that because my mate Dick played the guitar which I sampled.....

Fox is correct, I didn't decide which tracks were used where :lol:

User is offline   nukemania 

I love using Total Meltdown's soundtrack when playing Duke Nukem 3D. IMO, it really fits with the game. Just want to say that you did an awesome job on TMD's music, Mark; it got me back into playing Duke Nukem 3D more regularly :lol:

User is offline   Steve 64 

I see well stiil an amazing work you did, also I know that the songs are release on the net all over the place, but is there any chance you could release it on disk? be awesome to have in a collection.

Thanks Nuke :lol:

The scale of the project was quite large really, and why the mixes were never that great. Had recently been made redundant when this came up. I worked with Nick, the programmer, on my first full game which was the Amiga/CD32 conversion of Wing Commander, so was quite lucky to get the gig. Originally I had three months to get all of the tracks completed which is why we did have some PC arrangements in there to save a bit of time. We went out and Nick leant me the money to buy a second hand Yamaha 02r mixing desk (around £3500) as I knew I wouldn't get it done in time without a digital desk, bought a load more bits of gear like the Kurzweil K2500r and also borrowed some of the gear I had been using at the company which made me redundant.

In the end three months became around 5 IIRC but right when we were finishing the project, the Mac clone I was using decided to blow the motherboard taking out the hard drives with it. My back ups were on Zip disks, which then suffered with their infamous 'click of death' and I lost all of the work incl. the backups. I've recently heard of a possible fix to click of death, so I'm going to see if I can now revive the Duke arrangement files as I'd love to redo them.

As for releasing them on disk. I honestly don't know where I stand regarding copyright. I think copyright of the original tunes written for TM may have reverted back to me, but I presume the copyright of the arranged PC tracks reside with Bobby Prince and Lee Jackson..... that's all presumption though, I don't actually know.

a soundtrack CD thing would be cool. all the Total Meltdown songs used in the game, plus ones that weren't used

I'll have a look in to it :lol:

User is offline   Jason S. 

Hi Mark "TDK" Knight! I've been a fan of your work since the psx game, as well! Total Meltdown was, of course, my first time playing the game, so your tunes were the first I had the privilege of hearing.

Of course, frame rate nearly killed the experience for me and many others, but the music and level design kept us going, not to mention Plug'n'Prey's uniqueness.

View PostJason S., on 10 February 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Hi Mark "TDK" Knight! I've been a fan of your work since the psx game, as well! Total Meltdown was, of course, my first time playing the game, so your tunes were the first I had the privilege of hearing.

Of course, frame rate nearly killed the experience for me and many others, but the music and level design kept us going, not to mention Plug'n'Prey's uniqueness.

Hey... thanks so much for saying so :lol:

Yes, frame rate wasn't great.... to be honest, it's one of those games which really should never have happened on that platform. It was amazing that Nick even got it to work.... he's also the same guy who managed to get a Commodore Amiga to run Wing Commander, around 5 years before DNTM!!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Mark, I've received everything on my end, both old and new masters. Thanks again for making this happen. :lol:

Interestingly, in the file "Duke Nukem PSX Final 09-97 Original Tracks.wav", there is a four-track span (Mysteronious, Distortion, Chaingun in my Hand, Starlight) where the audio sounds like a vinyl playing with its rotation speed too slow, compared to the game audio (where applicable) and new masters. I copied them into a separate wav and set the playback rate to 48 KHz, and that fixed it! I've added this file to the Dropbox, as well as the Stalker 2 old master which wasn't in this long file but which you did add to the folder previously.

EDIT: Distortion and Chaingun in my Hand are two of the three tracks which we found on the Total Meltdown disc in full 44.1 quality. I'll add these three files to the folder when I get home.

View PostMr. Nukem Roses, on 08 February 2015 - 05:43 PM, said:

a soundtrack CD thing would be cool. all the Total Meltdown songs used in the game, plus ones that weren't used

It would have to be a double album--the full thing is 2 hours and 20 minutes. If you take out the arranged tracks, it's 1:40, and without the unused ones, it's 1:26. Still too big. ;)

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 10 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

User is online   Lunick 

I'll pay $25 plus shipping for one.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 10 February 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostHendricks266, on 10 February 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

Mark, I've received everything on my end, both old and new masters. Thanks again for making this happen. :lol:

Interestingly, in the file "Duke Nukem PSX Final 09-97 Original Tracks.wav", there is a four-track span (Mysteronious, Distortion, Chaingun in my Hand, Starlight) where the audio sounds like a vinyl playing with its rotation speed too slow, compared to the game audio (where applicable) and new masters. I copied them into a separate wav and set the playback rate to 48 KHz, and that fixed it! I've added this file to the Dropbox, as well as the Stalker 2 old master which wasn't in this long file but which you did add to the folder previously.

EDIT: Distortion and Chaingun in my Hand are two of the three tracks which we found on the Total Meltdown disc in full 44.1 quality. I'll add these three files to the folder when I get home.

It would have to be a double album--the full thing is 2 hours and 20 minutes. If you take out the arranged tracks, it's 1:40, and without the unused ones, it's 1:26. Still too big. :D

Cool sorted.

Yes there appears to be an issue with the DAT not recognising some sample rates. I fixed that in the single files you've got, but as you wanted the source, I just gave you pretty much what I had in those two files ;) You actually need to set the sample rate to 48khz without resampling, then set the sample rate to 44.1 WITH resampling and that'll fix it. However, I don't know how good the sample rate conversion in Audacity is (if you're using that).

Yeah, it would need to ba a double album, lols...

It seems it would be unlikely since there is an Android version coming... and my tracks are being used apparently... If I owned them, they would have been in touch to sort out some form of payment... which they haven't.

View PostLunick, on 10 February 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

I'll pay $25 plus shipping for one.

:lol:

i wouldn't mind really if it was a single or double soundtrack. i'd get'em both :lol: from the originals to hearing them remastered

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 10 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

A double-album on Bandcamp with some custom new artwork would be killer.

View PostDaedolon, on 11 February 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

A double-album on Bandcamp with some custom new artwork would be killer.

OK - will discuss this with the powers that be. See what, if anything, we can come up with.

m

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

That would be amazing!

If there's any need for help with artwork and such, I'd be glad to lend my skills.

User is offline   nukemania 

That sounds really neat. If something does come of it, which I hope, I'd be really looking forward to the unheard, unreleased music tracks.

View PostDaedolon, on 12 February 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

That would be amazing!

If there's any need for help with artwork and such, I'd be glad to lend my skills.

Thank you - let's see :lol:

Yes, the unreleased tracks would be a no brainer.... but of course perhaps they'll be released in the TM remake... probably not, but you never know I guess....

User is offline   Fox 

If you ever wondered what screen coordinates sprites used in the consoles...

Posted Image

User is offline   NNC 

Oh fine, such a great update again!

User is offline   Fox 

I am researching the games.

User is offline   sergey808a 

Total Meltdown is a first version of DN I played, and this is a best version until today.
Then, I even tried to remake itself regular version of DN3D that was like TM. I put music and videos from PS1 disc and remade E3M9,

Posted Image

but that my skills are over.
Thank you Fox, for making mod. I will be happy to play TM again.

This post has been edited by sergey808a: 06 March 2015 - 12:10 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Got the palette effect right

Posted Image

looks good Fox :D

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Got the palette effect right

User is offline   Fox 

To get the credits right: Daedolon, Fox, Hendricks, Nukey, Oasiz and TerminX. Special thanks to Joshua and MusicallyInspired. Music mastering by Mark 'TDK' Knight. Did I forget someone?

This post has been edited by Fox: 02 June 2015 - 11:12 AM

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options