• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown  "Full mod, not lite version"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostHendricks266, on 22 September 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

This would cause a noob storm. Tards cannot understand the command line. [...]

I have already written a launcher in VB for that (for private purposes). Even a monkey can use it. Problem is it's just for Windows users.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 22 September 2014 - 11:40 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Never release that publicly, thanks.

View PostThe Elite Duke Force, on 22 September 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

when it comes down to Meltdown, im going to play how it was made to be played no mods and no hrp not fan of hrp stuff no efence to the makers of it

This guy knows what's up.

View PostMetHy, on 22 September 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

The only way to play it how it was made to be played is on a PS1 on a CRT TV. The point of the mod is not to play it the way it was meant to.

Posted Image

Don't troll innocent people on Duke4.

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

I keep that in mind

This post has been edited by The Elite Duke Force: 22 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

Thats kinda how I feel, to play the TM mod as classic and as a retro as it was on PS1 but instead on PC.

User is offline   JoJo the Idiot Circus Boy 

• Steven Shitlord

there is alot of good things about PC Port it clean up, better controller support, Plus Online,

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Now tiles use the real x-y offsets from the PMP data. If you have played the game before, you should remember this:

Posted Image

That's what happened when the Cyberkeef launched motars at the player and it would crouch down every time it did.

User is offline   Joshua 

I remember the cyberkeef doing that. It would also crouch when it fired its chaingun.

This post has been edited by Joshua: 03 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

i found it weird how the CyberKeef did things like shoot his minigun or launch motars at ya

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Dear god, was that intentional in the original?

User is offline   Fox 

No.

View PostMicky C, on 03 October 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

Dear god, was that intentional in the original?

No, the PSX version was really buggy and that was one of the bugs with the Cyberkeef. When the TM mod that Fox has made is released, it won't have those bugs and the Cyberkeef will act the way it was suppose to.

User is offline   Fox 

It will have that sort of bug. I only fixed some technical problems.

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

So we'll need a seperate patch to fix bugs that you've decided to re-add into this version?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I can't say anything about this mod version, but the one on Android certainly won't have those kinds of bugs (it doesn't try to be the 1:1 recreation of flaws attempted here).

User is offline   Fox 

I am ok with it, it's not as bad as the Freezethrower sprite being misaligned.

View PostFox, on 04 October 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

It will have that sort of bug. I only fixed some technical problems.

But what's the point? Are you trying to keep the "atmosphere" and "feel" of Total Meltdown. I'm not trying to be rude or anything but I'm just curious. Because I did see that in your Eduke video of the Ministry of Fear, that you did in fact fix the Cyberkeef.

User is offline   Paul B 

Honestly, I can't imagine trying to play Duke 3D using a D-pad joystick on a console. It would take the fun right out of the game. The game needs to be played with a mouse like every other FPS. Maybe i've been around a PC too long but until they come out with mouse support for different platforms I won't be playing another way.

I think by now the entire Duke 3D game could probably run out of a web-browser if they really wanted to, making it OS independent.... Duke 3D Chrome Edition! Sounds good to me, I'm sure that Google Chrome Icon can easily be reworked into a Nuke Meltdown Icon. =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 04 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostMav3r1ck, on 04 October 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

But what's the point? Are you trying to keep the "atmosphere" and "feel" of Total Meltdown. I'm not trying to be rude or anything but I'm just curious. Because I did see that in your Eduke video of the Ministry of Fear, that you did in fact fix the Cyberkeef.

I didn't have the offsets at that point.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostTerminX, on 04 October 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

I can't say anything about this mod version, but the one on Android certainly won't have those kinds of bugs (it doesn't try to be the 1:1 recreation of flaws attempted here).

Dumb question but will that version be playable on the PC as well? (Yeah I live in the stone ages as far as tablets and phones are concerned, mine still has a number pad) Because I expect your one will be released earlier and won't have pointless glitches recreated for no reason.

User is offline   Nukey 

The original version of this game that was stamped to compact disc and distributed back in 1997 is the stone tablet for this mod.

The work of extracting and implementing the data as it exists in the original game is not "recreating pointless glitches". It is establishing ground zero on a more flexible platform.

User is offline   Jblade 

Yes it is, recreating a misaligned sprite is a waste of time and effort. It's your mod so do what you want but don't start talking about 'being faithful' to the original when you're spending time remaking glitches that just take you out of the product. I played the PSX version, it was my first version of Duke, and things like that are not what I remember about playing it. TX has said that he's not interested in adding such glitches into the Android version so I'm just asking him when that version is going to be done, because I want to play the PSX port levels with the benefits of the PC version and with a decent framerate.

User is offline   NNC 

This thing went terribly wrong during these months of wait.

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostJblade said:

Yes it is, recreating a misaligned sprite is a waste of time and effort.

It could not possibly be any less effort. It's the way they exist by default.

It's your mod so do what you want

I provide the assets, but I don't have too much involvement with the mod itself.

don't start talking about 'being faithful' to the original when you're spending time remaking glitches that just take you out of the product.

I have not spent any of my time remaking glitches. I am spending my time reverse-engineering the raw data. If the data happens to be corrupt, so be it.

TX has said that he's not interested in adding such glitches into the Android version

The Android version is being sourced from exactly the same data. No glitches are being added to the mod either. It would be more accurate to say some of them will not be removed. It's up to Fox, really... I'm not sure what his plans are.

I played the PSX version, it was my first version of Duke, and things like that are not what I remember about playing it. TX has said that he's not interested in adding such glitches into the Android version so I'm just asking him when that version is going to be done, because I want to play the PSX port levels with the benefits of the PC version and with a decent framerate.

Sounds reasonable.

I agree with you that glitches should be rectified in an enhanced version. I just don't believe the core version should deviate from the original game, where it's possible to avoid doing so.

This post has been edited by Nukey: 05 October 2014 - 05:51 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

It could not possibly be any less effort. It's the way they exist by default.

Sorry I assumed Fox was hand adjusting the tiles to match the offsets even if it was an error. If you found a way to dump them straight to an art file, offsets and all, than I take back what I said.

I agree with you that glitches should be rectified in an enhanced version. I just don't believe the core version should deviate from the original game, where it's possible to avoid doing so.

I can appreciate that as far as gameplay is concerned but I never felt art glitches and oversights should be considered part of the core game. However I understand some people want to recreate things 100% accurately, I don't feel that's productive but our priorities are in different places so I understand your view point. I still feel it would of been in the communities' best interest to release the files to everybody rather than to a few people to do what they will with it (unless you've been in contact with the original devs of the game and have a specific license, in which case disregard that)

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostJblade, on 05 October 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

I still feel it would of been in the communities' best interest to release the files to everybody rather than to a few people to do what they will with it

I fully agree with you on this point. I've been ready and willing to fire off the PSX maps into the public since the moment I knew the extracted data was pure.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJblade, on 05 October 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

I still feel it would of been in the communities' best interest to release the files to everybody rather than to a few people to do what they will with it

User is offline   Jblade 

I've still got the PSX copy of Duke right here and an emulator set up, so playing it would be no hassle for me :)

User is offline   Fox 

For fuck's sake, they could have used the gun sprites in the same position. Finding the correct placement for the Chaingun muzzle flash was a pain, but possible since I have read the source code for it a while ago.

Edit: Weapon cut in the bottom. "Ugh this sucks."

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 12 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostFox, on 12 November 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

For fuck's sake, they could have used the gun sprites in the same position. Finding the correct placement for the Chaingun muzzle flash was a pain, but possible since I have read the source code for it a while ago.

Edit: Weapon cut in the bottom. "Ugh this sucks."

Posted Image

that's the 1st time i ever seen the RPG messed up somehow. the handle looks like something from GBA or SNES

This post has been edited by Mr. Nukem Roses: 12 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options