Duke4.net Forums: I noticed a little something in My Digs.... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I noticed a little something in My Digs....

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I can see your point, but I think the full body awareness aspect was pretty important to them for DNF. They could have done what Deus Ex did and had any old object be able to be picked up, but the whole "item floating in midair" thing would have broken immersion considerably.

Considering the DNF we got, having Duke be able to interact with all of the objects in the environment wouldn't have improved most people's receptions of anything, but it sure would have been a lot of extra work. You'd have to have animations of each individual object being picked up/dropped/thrown/used as a weapon, have to have appropriate sounds for these actions, have to have separate Duke commentary for various item types, etc. That's a lot of extra shit to do when you've been trying to get the game itself done for so long.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTerminX, on 16 November 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

What generic objects does Duke3D really let you interact with, though?

I guess the thing I mainly had in mind was drinking from a water fountain, I mean it doesn't get more generic then that right? The fact that it restores health is mostly moot. I agree with Mr Tibs that all the interactivity and the destruction made the world feel real. Maybe making everything breakable, pickup-able or whatever isn't the most workload efficient way to make a game world real (?) but sure as hell everything in DNF felt dead and static as an inanimate carbon rod. The fact that it had points of interactivity like pool tables or whatever only served to highlight how uninteractive the rest of the world was, which in many ways is worse.

So IMO the interactivity should be an all-or-nothing thing. But I'm sure Gearbox has the resources to go all in, and not to do so would be an insult to the franchise and the fans.

View PostMicky C, on 16 November 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Dude think about what you're saying. You're trying to convince us that the developers made a HUGE change to the game's graphical and atmospheric/tonal detriment just for the sake of a simple plot point... in DNF? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. If they really wanted to make it night time, they could have easily changed things around, especially considering how cheap, crap, and last minute-y the story was. Besides, there was evidence of that late night talk show in conjunction with night Vegas in the 2006 trailer, as well as it being nighttime despite the 4 hour sleep in the demo reel.
This is the leaked footage/demo reel everyone's talking about. Such high hopes for the game back then...

I can see your point, and in fact I consider yours more logical than mine, but I just wanted to point out that if you look to the very left it's evening outside and the talk show is just named "JOHNNY", so it could have been an evening talk show. Ah who am I kidding, let's just talk about Duke Nukem 2 or something already.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The whole game is fucked up. I can't believe people actually think that The Doctor Who Cloned Me was intended to be DLC the whole time. You'd have to be bonkers. Crackers. Toys in the fucking attic! The leaked design document and the fact that the plot in DNF is retarded clearly show that the game was chopped up to save time. That delay the game got after it came to Gearbox? I'd bet money that delay was for chopping the game up.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Nah, it was to fix the horrendous load times on xbox 360.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Do you believe everything you're told?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMicky C, on 16 November 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

I guess the thing I mainly had in mind was drinking from a water fountain, I mean it doesn't get more generic then that right? The fact that it restores health is mostly moot. I agree with Mr Tibs that all the interactivity and the destruction made the world feel real. Maybe making everything breakable, pickup-able or whatever isn't the most workload efficient way to make a game world real (?) but sure as hell everything in DNF felt dead and static as an inanimate carbon rod. The fact that it had points of interactivity like pool tables or whatever only served to highlight how uninteractive the rest of the world was, which in many ways is worse.

So IMO the interactivity should be an all-or-nothing thing. But I'm sure Gearbox has the resources to go all in, and not to do so would be an insult to the franchise and the fans.

The non-interactive environment is just part of the game linear gameplay.

View PostDavoX, on 29 November 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Nah, it was to fix the horrendous load times on xbox 360.

Considering how atrocious the loading times are in the console versions of the game, their effort was pointless.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostJimmy, on 29 November 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

Do you believe everything you're told?

There was some truth to it. The levels originally contained a lot of secrets and alternate routes, etc, which had to be completely removed (and the remaining levels had to be chopped into multiple pieces) to get them to work on the 360. It's not necessarily a fault of the 360, but a fault of an engine that was designed incrementally by hundreds of people at several different companies... Unreal 1.x + 2.x code + a bunch of different SDKs bolted on by 3DR employees over a great number of years. The changes required to the get this mess running on consoles were more than a bit intrusive.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options