Duke4.net Forums: What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games? - Duke4.net Forums

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the most controversial opinions you hold about video games?

User is offline   Kathy 

Review score is meaningless without the review itself. Combining all review scores into overall score is an idiotic way to reference game's quality. Popularity of this review 'system' is dissapointing and those who think metascore/ranking is in any way objective(as opposed to subjective) are fools.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think that's the point. Having multiple subjective views together creates a usually semi-reliable objective statement that you can trust far more than any individual review. Unless you find a reviewer with whom you usually agree with, and even then you shouldn't trust it 100%.

Right on about the scores, though. They're just stupid. But people love numbers.

I can still say in all truth and fairness that I had more fun playing DNF than I did COD.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

User is offline   Silentwulf 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 November 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

I can still say in all truth and fairness that I had more fun playing DNF than I did COD.

In all honesty, I was just happy to see a proper, new Duke game at that point (That wasn't a re-release or mobile varient)
It's flawed, and I can see how the flaws are more potent for some gamers, but some of it didn't bother me TOO much.
If I was stuck playing it on a console though....eyie eyie eyie...

• The Sarien Encounter

That's more or leas my opinon as well.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 15 November 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

I think that's the point. Having multiple subjective views together creates a usually semi-reliable objective statement that you can trust far more than any individual review.

It creates a completely unreliable and inconsistent average score. With specific sites/reviewers you at least have consisteeent gradation with explanations about the score. But with average system you have 1-100 scores, 1-5 scores, 1-10 scores etc. mashed up together. Add to that that 5/5 on one site could mean something else on another. There's nothing to trust with an average score from different sources.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The problem with DNF overall is that it was so crap it seems to have stopped development of a new and possibly good Duke Nukem game made from scratch.

Gearbox has released Borderlands 2, A:CM, so what else are they working on that's so important? Am I the only one who thinks we should have heard something by now?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 16 November 2013 - 07:04 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I did say that scores were stupid.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

My [not-so-]controversial opinions.

• Demon/Dark Souls aren't hard because they're 2hc4u, they're hard because the controls are shit, what constitutes a hit is inconsistent and/or just plain wrong, and they break conventions (like pausing) for the sake of breaking conventions.
  • Capcom hasn't made anything good since the adoption of 3D.
  • JRPGs are practically all the same. Not every player is an otaku who wants to play as/with colorful kawaii girls.
  • Call of Duty was never good, not even before it became the game of choice for brodouche fratboys everywhere, and nothing can redeem it.
  • Quick protagonist deaths that encourage slow cover-based gameplay while the developers discourage or disable cheats makes gaming not fun for people who have lives or have medical conditions (like palsy) that prevent them from playing a game at maximum ability.
  • The illusion of choice in a game (different choices leading to the same outcome) completely breaks it for me. Even continuity isn't a good reason for it (see Mass Effect's loading feature). If you want linear progression, don't give the illusion of choice.

View PostMicky C, on 16 November 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

The problem with DNF overall is that it was so crap it seems to have stopped development of a new and possibly good Duke Nukem game made from scratch.

Gearbox has released Borderlands 2, A:CM, so what else are they working on that's so important? Am I the only one who thinks we should have heard something by now?

Maybe they will wait to announce, until game is atleast half-way done. I don't think they want to make a single delay. Not even a single one! You know the story.

Anyway - One opinion i forgot. I always found it kind of annoying, and i know most people are going to hate me for this, that Duke doesn't have someone reaaaaally close like Batman-Robin. Not personal, just working together. I believe Gearbox is making a game, with focus on both SP and MP. If they just made some kind of Co-op. ;) Duke needs to be re-invented.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostAlan, on 16 November 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

JRPGs are practically all the same. Not every player is an otaku who wants to play as/with colorful kawaii girls.

Are you serious? Go on and tell me how Persona 4, Final Fantasy XII and Resonance Of Fate are practically the same.

Hell, let's make it even easier - tell me how Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XIII are practically the same. Different settings, different battle systems, different character leveling/progression. Or let us compare FFX to FFX-2. Yeah, except the same setting, the games are vastly different despite FFX-2 being a direct sequel.

I don't even know if you're being serious with such cliche generalisation.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Well, you're clearly a JRPG fan... it could be that the things that are so completely different to you don't even register to him, because the things that are inherently the same about that style of game are what he doesn't like.

User is offline   Kathy 

And it's okay if he doesn't, but stating that they're "practically the same" is ignorant. I can understand why to some people JRPGs on the front appear to be so similar, but at least play the damn games before making such generalisations about the genre.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

If it's not the Mother series its not good.

User is offline   Komenja 

Hey now, Super Mario RPG was the shit.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostKomenja, on 16 November 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Hey now, Super Mario RPG was shit.

Fixed.

User is offline   Komenja 

Fixed.

Posted Image

I still love it, though.

On topic, I don't seem to have many controversial opinions. At least I can't recall too many.

-Quake 64 is better at pulling off a creepy atmosphere than the original PC version.

-Star Wars: Battlefront and Star Wars: Republic Commando are the best Star Wars games in my opinion.

-The Splatterhouse reboot was fucking awesome!

-As someone who enjoyed most of the games in the Halo series (Combat Evolved, 2, 3 and ODST), I really fucking hate Halo 4. 343 Industries had no idea what the Halo series was about, nor realized that the story was supposed to end with the third game. They changed the design of damn near everything, retconned nearly the entire background, copy and pasted gameplay elements from CoD, and split the focus between an awkward romance and a badly written villain. Halo 4 honestly seems like nothing other than a quick grab at cash, and I'm done with the series. Apparently so are lots of other Halo fans. I haven't seen anyone give a single shit since Halo 5 was announced, and I hope it stays that way.

edit: me bad at gramur

This post has been edited by Komenja: 16 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostLunick, on 16 November 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Fucked up.

Fixed.

User is online   Lunick 

View PostHendricks266, on 16 November 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

Fixed.

Coming from a shitposter.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Mmm! Chocolate ice cream!

Posted Image

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Chocolate ice cream tastes like shit so it fits

oh wait ice cream isn't a video game

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 16 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

User is offline   Mark 

If chocolate ice cream tastes like shit I think the person who bought it and gave it to you was playing a nasty but funny prank. ;)

This post has been edited by Mark.: 17 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostMark., on 17 November 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

If chocolate ice cream tastes like shit I think the person who bought it and gave it to you was playing a nasty but funny prank. ;)

Watch it all.

Sorry this has gotten off topic

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 November 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

The only thing I didn't like about the Jedi Knight games is that they all used the Star Wars movies scores. In fact, far too many Stat Wars games did that. I loved Dark Forces for the fact that it actually had an original score written in a very John Williams sort of way. They did have a few pieces in there from the movie, but there definitely was more original material than not.

This is one of the reasons why Shadows of the Empire is one of my favorite Star Wars games of all time:
(Skip to 3:00 to listen to the bit they used in the final game)

That's going to be my only contribution to this thread, because in my opinion, threads like these are pointless and only serve to start pointless bickering, and attract people who want to shove their opinions down peoples' throats and state what is subjective as if they were facts.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 17 November 2013 - 01:34 AM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

There's a reason they are called opinions

Unless somebody says that what they are saying is a fact, i don't think you should have to preface every sentence with "In my opinion" just to get someone to understand that it is in fact, your opinion.

View PostMark., on 17 November 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

That would explain the repulsive odor

nah but really I just don't like it and I don't think it tastes anything like good tasting chocolate.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

That's because you gotta go to a place that makes their own home made shit.

You live on Long Island right? Check out Old Fashioned Ice Cream on Straight Path in West Babylon. They make all their own stuff. Well worth a long ass drive if you have to do it.

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 17 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Here's a potentially controversial opinion;
While it was one of the last good Capcom games, Marvel VS Capcom 2 fucking sucks.
Hear me out. The gameplay was as good as ever, BUT, it had no innovation. In fact, it did the opposite at times.
The music was abhorrent. 15 second loops of shitty dance-pop crap.
The levels were uninspired bullshit.
The roster was too small, and lacked characters that Capcom had in previous games.
It relied on crappy unlockables and shit on the consoles.

It could have been so much better.

User is offline   leilei 

BUT IT'S A DREAMCAST FIGHTER YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Also Blood is horribly overrated. It was good, until 2002 when it gained a new generation of kid fans due to some 'abandonware' pirate site featuring it and they treat it like a holy hipster lost gem thing assuming no one has ever heard of it or played it before (despite hitting the top of popular shareware lists of 1997 of many sites then).

It's kinda like what happened to Earthbound when it became fully playable by emulators in 1998 with "#1 earth bound fan's" appearing everywhere... and what happened to Doom II after Kotaku ran Brutal Doom articles with "hard core metal doomer's" born when the FPS genre were already past the genesis believing that every old fps game should play like a call of duty knockoff with Bulletstorm's attitude and the gore of Time Slaughter.

Which leads me to believe the real demand for the Blood source code release is to see "Brutal Blood"... :/

This post has been edited by leilei: 18 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Leilei, will you marry me?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostJimmy, on 18 November 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

Leilei, will you marry me?

Turning your back on Kathy? Adulterer!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

No. Kathy doesn't want my love. I have to move on with my life. ;)

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options