Duke4.net Forums: Other Build Engine games in eDuke32, how feasible? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Other Build Engine games in eDuke32, how feasible?

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Possible to fix the way SWP messes up the sky? Seems to basically cut the texture off on Parallaxed skies.

Does not happen when using the High resolution pack and does not happen in original DOS sw.

Thanks again dude.

This post has been edited by Robman: 15 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's an unavoidable part of Polymost. Use 8-bit.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Yer gonna have to explain that a bit further. SWP does this sky f*ckery right outta the box with default settings and no amount of fiddling seems to fix it.
There's no "polymost" button that I can see.

Stand in an outside area and look straight up at the sky..

When using the HRP with SWP the sky is fine.

This post has been edited by Robman: 15 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

He's saying that if you want the openGL renderer (which in this case is written by Ken Silverman and is also available as an option in eduke32, called the Polymost renderer), you're going to have to put up with the broken paralax skies. I'm guessing it works fine with the HRP because it uses a skybox(?) which works in a completely different way and hence looks fine.

Personally I'm with Hendricks in that I'd be against fixing any non-critical bugs that would be fixed in the future with eduke32-SW. No point wasting time fixing the same thing twice. (I'm speaking in a general sense here, not specifically about this bug).

This post has been edited by Micky C: 15 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

Two shots taken from the exact same position and viewing angle:

8-bit
Posted Image

32-bit
Posted Image

I would recommend not ever using 32-bit in SWP or SWPBUILD. It's simply inauthentic to the original game. It's lacking all the shading improvements from EDuke32 that I ported to Redux. No way I'm spending 20 hours hacking them into SWP's old-ass engine.

User is offline   Mark 

Sorry to say this version has the same problem as the previous beta test. The game will run only if you give it internet access. If you don't, it crashes when the start button is pressed. Here is my crashlog:

Caught exception 0x00000005 at 0x7705FD1E: (null)
0x7705FD1E : C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll : RaiseException
0x76F72923 : C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll : RpcRaiseException
0x76FFD958 : C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll : NdrDcomAsyncClientCall
0x75375EB8 : C:\Windows\system32\DNSAPI.dll : DnsValidateName_W
0x75375620 : C:\Windows\system32\DNSAPI.dll : DnsValidateName_W
0x75375460 : C:\Windows\system32\DNSAPI.dll : DnsValidateName_W
0x75375F9E : C:\Windows\system32\DNSAPI.dll : DnsQuery_W
0x74EF4703 : C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll : [unknown file]
0x74EF4668 : C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll : [unknown file]
0x74EF44C2 : C:\Windows\system32\mswsock.dll : [unknown file]
0x767A4732 : C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll : WSALookupServiceNextW
0x767A4712 : C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll : WSALookupServiceNextW
0x767A4654 : C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll : WSALookupServiceNextW
0x767A45C7 : C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll : WSALookupServiceNextW
0x767A782C : C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll : WSALookupServiceNextA
0x767A7797 : C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll : gethostname
0x767B6388 : C:\Windows\system32\WS2_32.dll : gethostbyname
0x004EBA99 : D:\swp_433_beta2\SWP.exe : e:\source\SWP\Build/src/mmulti.c (118) : in function (netinit)
0x7725413A : C:\Windows\system32\ntdll.dll : TpDisassociateCallback
0x024E5AE8 : [unknown module] : [unknown file]
Tue Jul 15 21:46:50 2014
---------------

This post has been edited by Mark.: 15 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

ah ok, thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

User is offline   MetHy 

Any idea if you can fix the glitch related to texture alignement and moving textures around in SWPbuild?
Basically, you can't hold a numpad number and have the texture keep stretching or moving; because holding a key works as if you only press the key once.

IIRC this glitch used to also be in some really old Jonof versions of Build (like almost 10 years ago? not sure) so perhaps you know how to fix it?

This glitch is one of the main reasons why I use mapster32 for SW mapping atm rather than SWP. I know you can hold 5 while moving/stretching textures which makes the texture move/stretch in greater increment; but even when using that it's still a pain compared to just being able to hold the keys.

thanks

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

@Hendricks; that sucks it would take 20+ hours to patch Polymost. Isn't any of they source codes remarked? I mean I would imagine everyone would be marking the code as you go along.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I heard once "coding for eduke32 requires a deep spiritual connection to duke3d" no comments allowed.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostCorvin, on 16 July 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

@Hendricks; that sucks it would take 20+ hours to patch Polymost. Isn't any of they source codes remarked? I mean I would imagine everyone would be marking the code as you go along.

Commenting is not the issue. It's making all the little changes.

Like mouselook, just wait for EDuke32-SW.

User is offline   Moggimus 

Can't wait for EDuke32-SW. Are people actually working on SW content? I haven't been aware of any since way back in the day.

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postmoggimus, on 17 July 2014 - 11:09 AM, said:

Can't wait for EDuke32-SW. Are people actually working on SW content? I haven't been aware of any since way back in the day.

Robman released 2 maps of his own recently (and he also turned an unreleased beta map of SW beta into a playable state ; and converted the first map of Heretic for SW) and would like to make an episode with the help of others.

I'm also working onmy own SP/DM map , not part of the episode

So yeah, there has been some SW activity lately, but it's pretty much just Robman singlehandlely being the SW community and keeping it alive.

I really can't wait for EDuke32-SW. That + 3DRealms upcoming official DN3D/SW mapping contest might create a newborn excitment for SW mapping.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 17 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

hmm, something that would be pretty time saving is being able to Press up and jump to the bottom of the map list when loading a map into build. Or just be able to press a letter and jump to the maps that start with that letter.

I say this because I have a LOT of maps that I have to scroll through and it can get tedious having to go all the way through the list. I could clean out the folder but I don't wanna, lol.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Another thing Martin wants is to have custom animated voxels, like his candle voxels, I think he has three of them. But I realize this is beyond the scope of the fixes.

• Honored Donor

How would animated voxels be any different to regular animated sprites?

• Weaponized Autism

The old version of BUILD in SWP does not apply ART animations to models or voxels.

• Honored Donor

Out of curiosity, will con/lua/whatever scripting be possible for SW with eduke32-SW or is SW simply incompatible with all that?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostRobman, on 19 July 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

hmm, something that would be pretty time saving is being able to Press up and jump to the bottom of the map list when loading a map into build. Or just be able to press a letter and jump to the maps that start with that letter.

I say this because I have a LOT of maps that I have to scroll through and it can get tedious having to go all the way through the list. I could clean out the folder but I don't wanna, lol.

I have another request; I'd rather we'd be able to use page up/down in the map list. It's more convenient for me considering all the original maps start with the same letter, and all my (DOZENS) of saves of the map I'm making all start the same and only have a different number at the end.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Heh, yeah that`s how I do it to, I`ve resorted to starting my maps with 3 aaa`s to keep them at the top of the list. I also just end my save increments with the next number at the end of the map name and then just go back and give the final version the intended name.

Could incorporate all 3 functions to selecting the map to edit would be even better :P .. providing he feels like it and it`s not that difficult to do.

• Weaponized Autism

For the first time ever, EDuke32's SVN can build more than one BUILD game.

Spoiler

User is online   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   Skulldog 

EDuke32-SW, Does that mean that it will run both Duke or SW from one exe?

User is online   Lunick 

I'm pretty sure they will be separate for some time before being merged into one exe.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Hendricks420 is a bad motherfucker.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Indeed :(

Hey, is there anyway to take the code from the Sw Beta v.90 for the bots and add it in as an option to SWP?

I just read the thread Bryan Spurlock had up about the sw beta which contained info about bots and decided to make a batch file to try it out, only with one of my maps and it worked!
Was fun, hehe.

The bots are retarded but hey, they were something to shoot at. Could also see items respawn and such whereas you pretty much need to be in an actual multiplayer game to get that. Just thinking outloud because it was fun to use bots for the first time in sw.

This post has been edited by Robman: 21 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

• Weaponized Autism

I've seen stuff about the bots in SW's source, but the command to activate them was commented out. I'll probably look at it sometime in the future. EDuke32-SW's networking will be nonexistent to start because we've removed Ken's lockstep code from the engine. As I put more and more hours into getting it ready, I don't know if it will be worth updating SWP any more.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

looking forward to Eduke-SW !

User is offline   MetHy 

Mee too! My SW map should be ready for whenever the first version of Eduke-SW gets released, which sounds like a good timing.

Too bad I wouldn't have been able to use Mapster-SW for this map, well maybe for another map in the future (though it's not really what I plan to do atm)... assuming there will be a mapster-SW, which I hope there will be, because to me a Mapster-SW is even more important than EDuke32-SW (considering how dated, and even somewhat glitchy, SWP Build and the original SW Build are).

User is offline   Mark 

I hope the front end will be as functional and easy to use as SWP's for choosing add-ons and maps.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options