• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior (2013) Thread  "New Shadow Warrior Game Announced"

View PostDukie, on 17 November 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

wall of text

Good disclaimer. If the Flamethrower is shit, I'd say only the alternate fire upgrade is good. I personally thought the Flamethrower was useful against possessed humans but not much else.

I agree with you, the new SW is alright but very far from "best FPS I've ever played" like some people call it, and it falls to common modern FPS tropes like a shotgun that has pitiful range and pointless turret sections added in just for the sake of it.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostThe Commander, on 29 July 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

The thread title really should be changed...

User is offline   Dukie 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 17 November 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

Good disclaimer. If the Flamethrower is shit, I'd say only the alternate fire upgrade is good. I personally thought the Flamethrower was useful against possessed humans but not much else.

I agree with you, the new SW is alright but very far from "best FPS I've ever played" like some people call it, and it falls to common modern FPS tropes like a shotgun that has pitiful range and pointless turret sections added in just for the sake of it.

With regards to the flamethrower, I only used the Firebomb attack for it, (after initially trying out the primary fire and realising that it was pants). If the 25% damage upgrade only applies to the primary fire, then that upgrade is indeed rubbish as well, but I'm assuming that it applies to both primary and secondary fire modes.

Before I bought it, judging from some people's comments, and watching gameplay videos, I expected this game to be a 9/10 for me personally, as I liked the early part of the game subject matter etc.

However, after playing it, I would say it's probably more like a 6.5/10.

I agree that it has too many modern FPS trends, like regen health and an RPG upgrade system. There's really nothing wrong with scripted upgrades in my opinion, like those in Half Life 1 and 2, and Bioshock 1 and 2. This makes it easier for the developer to balance the difficulty curve/progression, since they know that all players will be kitted out with the same weapons and abilities at each part of the game.

I forgot to mention in the earlier post the demonic powers that you have available.

Healing: Super useful, in fact too useful and it makes most of the game a complete breeze, and therefore a fairly boring, hollow gameplay experience as a result.

Protection: Handy on the bosses when they are about to hit you with hard-to-dodge, very damaging attacks, but pretty much useless during the normal gameplay battles against the demons, since you can't use your Ki Strikes while casting. I never bothered with this outside of boss fights, so that says it all really.

Flux: It looks unique in the way that it suspends the enemies in the air for a bit, but ultimately it's fairly useless and I only really cast it for variety's sake, and to decrease boredom. There isn't one time that I can think of where I needed to use the Flux spell to get me out of trouble, so essentially it's just there for show.

Shockwave: It functions pretty much the same as Flux, only it doesn't have the distinction of looking particularly interesting when you cast it on the enemies. Again, there was never one time when this spell saved my ass.

The spell system would have worked better if there was some kind of damage that could have been dealt from some of the spells, with the caveat that there would have been some sort of non-regen 'Ki bar' to limit their use, like the plasmids in Bioshock 1 requiring enough Eve to cast.

Finally got a real pc and completed shadow warrior. I must admit this is a fine game. However the boss fights are so a like and bored me a lot..

Out of curiosity, is the 2013 Shadow Warrior moddable, or has that game been denied a modding tools as well? I can see the editors of this forum do some impressive mods for that game. If it's possible, you could remake the original SW for for the 2013 SW, that way you could get the gameplay that you expected to see in the new SW.

This leads me to another idea. Why not do a mod for the original SW which is based upon the 2013 Shadow Warrior, like the DNF mod for Eduke? It would be interesting to see 2013 SW's enemies, such as the sword wielding gangsters, and its weapons pixellated and rendered into the gameplay of the original SW.

View PostFlying Techbot, on 07 February 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, is the 2013 Shadow Warrior moddable, or has that game been denied a modding tools as well? I can see the editors of this forum do some impressive mods for that game. If it's possible, you could remake the original SW for for the 2013 SW, that way you could get the gameplay that you expected to see in the new SW.

This leads me to another idea. Why not do a mod for the original SW which is based upon the 2013 Shadow Warrior, like the DNF mod for Eduke? It would be interesting to see 2013 SW's enemies, such as the sword wielding gangsters, and its weapons pixellated and rendered into the gameplay of the original SW.

It's not moddable ATM. The current priority of the team is the 64-bit/DX11 executable.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I haven't played the new sw 2013, but I was thinking about making that level with the pink trees surrounded by bamboo sticks for original sw.. Is that the first map? .. Anyway it wouldn't be exact and was just a thought .. time will tell.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That'd be a pretty damn short map. The gameplay of the two games is quite different:

SW is a fast-paced exploration game with weapons that make short work of enemies.
SW 2013 is relatively linear and slow, holding you in certain rooms while it throws enemies at you, and quite a lot of the enemies have a huge amount of health.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

I have no problem locking you in a room and spawning enemies at will ... I could even make the car scene (on a basic level). Maybe it's a shit idea, I dunno. I saw the colours of the map in videos and thought it would be fun to build. I'm not 100% even familiar with the whole sw 2013 map.

I want a section in the new sw(1997) add-on where shit hits the fan and old Lo Wang talks like New Lo Wang for a moment hence why in other threads I wanted to know where I could find Sw2013 LW sound clips.

This post has been edited by Robman: 07 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostRobman, on 07 February 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

I have no problem locking you in a room and spawning enemies at will

That's kind of my point; the original game (specifically the enemies) was not designed for this gameplay. The base enemies in SW 2013 are much weaker and less deadly than in the original, while the more powerful enemies are also much-slower moving. Sure you could get away with a room or two like that for variety, but it wouldn't necessarily be a good idea to base an entire map around that. The original enemies are far better at being encountered as you roam around the level.

Then again, I imagine if you do choose to do it, it would be more to show that it can be done (at least design-wise, if not gameplay-wise), and to see what kind of visuals and atmosphere you can get out of the game. In this case it'd almost be more a piece of art rather than awesome gameplay user content, which is fine. Duke mappers have done this before, with the most recent notable example being Loke's The Thing map.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Right on. Yeah you're right.. the second part of the post did hit home. However I suppose I would model the map with a mix of 2013 visual (tries) and 1997 gameplay ... just an idea. Kind of a "do what you can to make it fun" approach. Then again that's what I'm always trying to achieve. lol win some/lose some.

That "the thing" map looks like it took a loong time to make, hehe

This post has been edited by Robman: 08 February 2015 - 02:00 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

So, here's a question...

...Shadow Warrior 2?

• Honored Donor

You'd have thought they'd have put out some DLC by now. I don't see how the artists and level designers would be occupied while they're working on the 64-bit version.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostMicky C, on 08 February 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

You'd have thought they'd have put out some DLC by now. I don't see how the artists and level designers would be occupied while they're working on the 64-bit version.

Maybe they were busy working on Juju? :lol:

Posted Image

View PostRobman, on 07 February 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

Right on. Yeah you're right.. the second part of the post did hit home. However I suppose I would model the map with a mix of 2013 visual (tries) and 1997 gameplay ... just an idea. Kind of a "do what you can to make it fun" approach. Then again that's what I'm always trying to achieve. lol win some/lose some.

That "the thing" map looks like it took a loong time to make, hehe

Here's some ideas on how you could pull it off:
*For the sword-wielding gangsters and the demons, edit the sprites of Lo Wang when he's only using the sword. And have it so that the enemies have a chance to slice you in half as you do them.
*Definitely adapt 2013 SW's enemies to be faster for the original SW.
*Use the colors and look of 2013 SW for inspiration, but design the levels in the spirit of the original SW and Duke3D.
*Take soundbites from the 2013 SW's Lo Wang, and have the score screen play "You Got the Touch."
*Re-implement the anime women.
*Implement a simpler version of 2013 SW's skillpoint system, like finding secret areas would increase your endurance, health, accuracy, or melee weapon strength.
*Narrow it down to a few levels, and make it the kind of fun you want it to be.

That's all for my suggestions.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostFlying Techbot, on 09 February 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

Here's some ideas on how you could pull it off:

*Definitely adapt 2013 SW's enemies to be faster for the original SW.
*Implement a simpler version of 2013 SW's skillpoint system, like finding secret areas would increase your endurance, health, accuracy, or melee weapon strength.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do those above mentioned things as there's no con editing in Sw1997, however the rest of the suggestions are doable.

For starters I'd have to learn the 2013 map and then try building it and just work from there.

"*Use the colors and look of 2013 SW for inspiration, but design the levels in the spirit of the original SW and Duke3D."
This is the main idea though.

This post has been edited by Robman: 09 February 2015 - 03:07 PM

The gameplay in the original one is vastly different. The enemies are much faster, and the guns are, like, actually useful.

According to this job posting, Flying Wild Hog is working on a new IP (a fantasy fps) for PS4/Xbox One/PC. Warning: The job offer is in Polish.

• Honored Donor

Who wants to bet it has virtually identical gameplay to Hard Reset and SW 2013?

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMicky C, on 12 February 2015 - 12:39 AM, said:

Who wants to bet it has virtually identical gameplay to Hard Reset and SW 2013?

There's nothing to bet here, it's the only type of gameplay they manage to produce (Painkiller-esque).

Not familiar with Hard Reset, but aren't SW's sword shenanigans unique to it?

• Honored Donor

Yeah but take out the sword and its essentially Hard Reset with weak weapons. The combat style is the same (being locked in a room until you kill all the enemies), same type of level progression, upgrade system, big bosses etc.

Yeah, I'd love the weapons to have some more oomph, but people keep saying it's "alright". Yeah, it's very "alright" to play through the game on Insane by basically spamming the Divider of Heavens...

• Honored Donor

I'll admit I'd love to see a full playthrough of the game on Insane difficulty by someone with ZERO use of the sword to really validate Devolver's claim that you can play it either way.

View PostMicky C, on 12 February 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

I'll admit I'd love to see a full playthrough of the game on Insane difficulty by someone with ZERO use of the sword to really validate Devolver's claim that you can play it either way.

The beginning with only revolver will be dire... :lol:

User is offline   Avoozl 

Honestly I didn't really enjoy this game that much at all after the first few levels, it just strays away from what I found made the first Shadow Warrior so good, I have found myself going back to the original SW and its expansions a number of times after.

View PostGrand Admiral Thrawn, on 22 February 2015 - 03:53 AM, said:

Honestly I didn't really enjoy this game that much at all after the first few levels, it just strays away from what I found made the first Shadow Warrior so good, I have found myself going back to the original SW and its expansions a number of times after.

Honestly, neither are the best of their generation. Original SW has some way imbalanced things like Shadow Ninjas. 2013 SW is inferior to other contemporary games as a shooter due to weak weapons.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Started really playing this again the other day. I'm having a blast.

64-bit update is releasing next week!

http://steamcommunit...097436220655928

Grasshoppers!

We are happy to announce that the wait is soon to be over.
The 64-bit update for Shadow Warrior will hit Steam next week!

The new version of the game uses either a 32-bit or a 64-bit executable and DirectX11 for Windows Vista or later. This update should give the game a significant performance boost.

The previous version of Shadow Warrior, using DirectX9 will still work on Windows XP 32-bit systems - so don't be afraid that it stops running.

We have also included an additional bossfight with Zilla (be sure to check it out!) as well as some minor bugfixes.

I will let you know when the patch goes live.

• Honored Donor

So it sounds like they're incorporating a bit of what they added to the campaign for consoles to the PC version. It'll be pretty sweet to have a performance boost; the game ran a lot more sluggishly than Hard Reset without significantly improved visuals IMO.

If they're still working on the game, is there a chance for some singleplayer DLC or is it too late for that?

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options