Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior (2013) Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior (2013) Thread  "New Shadow Warrior Game Announced"

User is offline   MetHy 

The way it's said it means there is some new content within the campaign.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Shadow Warrior Dev On DX12, PS4 & XB1

Q: Did you add or remove any graphical effects at all when porting Shadow Warrior from PC to PS4 & XB1?
A: We didn’t remove any graphic effects, but many of them were heavily optimized in order to reach our 60 fps target. Some of them, like reflections and SSAO were rewritten from scratch, so some things will look a bit worse and some a bit better. Generally it’s not a big difference in visuals and for most people the graphics will look exactly like the PC version.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I wish they'd carry some of those optimizations over to the PC version.

User is offline   Lunick 

Some retailer in the UK is selling copies already...

Edit: Street Date was supposed to be the 24th...

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lunick: 08 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Hopefully someone can soon talk about what 'new' content is in the campaign, if anything substantial

The console port of Shadow Warrior has a cool loading screen.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Holy shit this YouTuber is fucking retarded.

User is offline   Dukie 

Firstly, I would just like to say that I have only personally played the first half of Shadow Warrior, but I have come across a few spoilers here and there regarding what happens to some of the characters towards the end of the game, so apologies if some of what I say below doesn't completely make sense as I don't know the entire plot of Shadow Warrior yet and am slightly guessing at some elements.

Anyway, my thoughts on what this new campaign content for consoles may entail:

Firstly if you look at the guy's video in the YouTube link provided two posts up, he shows the statistics screen which details campaign level stats only up to chapter 17, (same as the initial PC release), and there is also 106 secrets to find, which I believe is the total in the PC base game. Now you might think that there could be extra chapters that would appear in the statistics screen after you've unlocked them, but then you see that the Heroic difficulty and Ex. mode need to be unlocked first, and yet they are still shown faded out in the options menu until they get unlocked, rather than being absent completely; so if there were indeed chapters beyond 17, then they would surely show in the statistics screen from the get-go. So all-in-all, this doesn't bode well for the notion of any substantial new content in the console version of the campaign.

Up till before seeing that video, I believed the new campaign content was supposed to be at minimum a new boss fight, (likely Zilla, particularly as the press release for the game mentioned new campaign content featuring the head of the nefarious Zilla Corporation), and possibly even a few extra levels too. Here is the link for that:

http://gamingbolt.co...apped-potential

Due to the real lack of proper news released on this over the last couple of months, in addition to the statistics page information on the PS4 version, perhaps the new campaign content has ultimately been cancelled for the console retail release. This could be because Flying Wild Hog, in attempting to craft some new campaign material for the PS4 and Xbox One, ended up developing something really substantial such as five or six new levels, (just like with their Hard Reset: Excile campaign expansion as that was 5 levels, 4 new enemy types and a new boss fight), with Wang getting the hell out of the Shadow Realm, (trading in his overpowered Nobitsura Kage in the process, giving it to a Hoji-like spirit as a payment in order to get home so that he just has a normal katana to complete the final portion of the game with), acquiring an extra gun or two back in the real world, meeting up with his mentor Master Leep who gives him some wise advice from his cabin in the woods, tracking Zilla and the Twins down and putting them all in the ground, whilst encountering a few new lesser and greater demons along the way. Then in the final cutscene of the game, Wang and Leep reminisce about the good old days over a pot of green tea and a cuban.

FWH might have thought ''Wowzers, we can charge top dollar for this amazing final segment of the campaign, and it will avoid p*ssing off the PC community that supported us well with the release of Hard Reset in 2011 and Shadow Warrior in 2013, and whom will be annoyed with us if we reward console gamers with such awesome exclusive content. The console gamers won't really care that they now lose out exclusivity of the extra campaign stuff since they will be happy enough with the base game and only the odd eagle-eyed console gamer would have even spotted the information on supposed new campaign content. Then we can release these extra campaign levels to all at a later date and print money.''

While the story was supposedly good for the PC base game, from what I understand the tale wasn't quite complete when all was said and done, (with some antagonists left alive that shouldn't be when the game's all about killing things), but despite that, there's not really enough story left to tell that allows for a full blown sequel, since Wang going after Zilla can hardly carry a whole game, but there is just about enough story left for an expansion pack that they can charge good money for to PC gamers and console gamers sometime next year.

They are probably keeping quiet on it all since they hope no one remembers that new campaign content for consoles was initially mentioned by Namco Bandai in late July. This then won't interfere too much with the console sales of the game in Q4 2014, and then when the time is right, out comes the single player expansion in 2015 to great aplomb.

I personally would prefer a good, meaty five or six levels than some tacked on, short boss fight on PS4/Xbox One that takes place right after the PC final boss in chapter 17, so in light of the information provided in that statistics screen, I hope the above circumstances are actually the case. The complete quest of Wang would make more sense this way, with 5 levels leading up to the first armour boss, then 4 levels and the flying boss, 5 levels and the headless armour boss, then 4 or 5 levels building up to Zilla and the Kyogami Twins getting slain. That would be a solid 22/23 chapter quest and I would be delighted to pay for that kind of DLC. They could put in some cool greater demons like one that has a tonne of HP with a big, powerful laser sword that rivals your katana etc. that would make those Warlords and Necromancers look pretty weedy in comparison, whilst adding in some extra lesser demons to break up the monotony of chopping up all those pink dudes with the claws.

Anyway, that's just my speculation and general musing, happy days.

This post has been edited by Dukie: 20 October 2014 - 06:10 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's possible that the new content will just be free/cheap DLC. A lot of developers seem to be doing that because you can release the physical product faster.

User is offline   Dukie 

View PostJimmy, on 20 October 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

It's possible that the new content will just be free/cheap DLC. A lot of developers seem to be doing that because you can release the physical product faster.

The problems with that though, are that this game has already been delayed a month, (it was originally supposed to ship in late September and was pushed back till 21st October), so they've hardly been rushing to get this out, and not only that but it's just a port of a game that was already finished a year ago, (at least up till chapter 17), so there has been plenty of time for a few additional campaign levels to have been created in the meantime.

It would be different if they were trying to rush out a brand new release, and then padding it out later with free DLC that should have made the initial launch.

I'm happy to pay for whatever campaign DLC they put out there, as I love this game very much.

I will say that I am a bit disappointed that they don't seem to have made any improvements to the base game. I was hoping that they would decrease the crossbow initial clip size from 16 to 4, so that there is then a point to buying the Extended Magazine upgrade, that can then push the clip size back up to 16. This unfortunately has not been done.

Hopefully they have massively decreased the effectiveness of the Aswang Hunger skill, since this pretty much breaks the game from a challenge perspective, (I've seen some players get about 45HP back from a Circle of Iron attack or a fully charged Divider of Heavens, whilst having no regard for their safety since you actually need to get into unsafe spots to leech the health in the first place). Hopefully in the PS4/Xbox One game you can only get about 5HP back from each Ki Strike tops. I personally don't even choose to upgrade this skill, or the soul drain and soul hunger, since they feel too much like I am cheating, even on 'Insane' difficulty.

I do like the weak feeling of the weapons though. You are fighting demons, so they shouldn't go down easy, and I really like slowly shooting the meat right out of these resilient punks, with them requiring many shots before they go down. If each demon died with only a revolver shot or two, it would probably feel quite boring.

This post has been edited by Dukie: 21 October 2014 - 01:47 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

If there were a new game, it would probably be based of "Wanton Destruction" and "Twin Dragons" campaigns...

I regret the original weapons such as the Riot Gun, the Rail Gun and the Nuke...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

What I mean is, they spend time porting the base game to consoles and then print the packaging/discs and put JUST the base game on it, mostly bug free and stable. Then they can release patches and DLC as early as a month or two later. Developers do this pretty often now.

So it's out now and the performance doesn't look too hot. :)

Digital Foundry video test. People are also experiencing crashes on both consoles.

User is offline   Dukie 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 25 October 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Digital Foundry video test. People are also experiencing crashes on both consoles.

I'm loving my PS4 version so far, but the port is a bit buggy. For instance, when your health is reduced to zero by the angry hordes, you never get to see yourself curl up and die as the screen showers with blood, like you can on the PC version. Instead the game seems to freeze for a couple of seconds when you get killed, and then suddenly the options screen pops up asking if you want to restart, load game etc. The game seems to just glitch out every time when you die.

Also, whenever you pause the game, the menu screen that comes up is slightly smaller than the screen size which is a bit weird, and screams 'Indie game'.

This game is very difficult on my custom 'Warrior' difficulty, which is nice. However, the Circle of Iron attack is pretty much useless when you're deliberately not using the Aswang Hunger upgrade. The attack motion is much slower to perform than the Divider of Heavens Ki strike, and you always seem to get hit when trying to pull the move off.

• Honored Donor

View PostDukie, on 26 October 2014 - 12:05 AM, said:

This game is very difficult on my custom 'Warrior' difficulty, which is nice. However, the Circle of Iron attack is pretty much useless when you're deliberately not using the Aswang Hunger upgrade. The attack motion is much slower to perform than the Divider of Heavens Ki strike, and you always seem to get hit when trying to pull the move off.

That's probably why they have that upgrade in there.

User is offline   Dukie 

View PostMicky C, on 26 October 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

That's probably why they have that upgrade in there.

Yeah, but it feels too cheap and means that you can get through fights using only one or two moves.

I find that the guns have a lot more use now that I can't just rely on the health leeching from the Katana strikes. I have to dodge like crazy to survive though. If I get trapped and boxed in, then I die all the time because I can't fight the horde off successfully whilst using the heal spell.

They were better off not having Aswang Hunger and then making the game a pinch easier. I don't think they play tested the game properly before releasing it a year ago, and then the same issue has carried over to the console release.

User is offline   Dukie 

Warrior Difficulty:

1.) The skills Aswang Hunger, Soul Drain and Soul Hunger are banned.

2.) Skill upgrades have to be done in the below level order, with freedom to choose which upgrades at each level you choose first, but you can only advance to the next level once all skills at the previous level have been learned:

Level 1: Divider of Heavens, Richman 1, Richman 2, Divine Wind, Heart On
Level 2: Circle of Iron, Armed, Inner Reserve 1, Quick Recovery 1
Level 3: Wing of Crane, Dangerous, Inner Reserve 2, Quick Recovery 2
Level 4: Control Pain 1, Fire Resistant, Inner Reserve 3, Headhunter 1
Level 5: Control Pain 2, Demonslayer 1, Critical Strike, Rage 1
Level 6: Control Pain 3, Godslayer 1, Rage 2, Headhunter 2
Level 7: Soulseeker, Medic, Demonslayer 2, Kenshi
Level 8: Souleater, Doctor, Godslayer 2, Kensei

3.) Power upgrades must all be leveled up in alignment. You automatically have one Ki crystal put on Healing by default in chapter 1, so your next three Ki crystals must go one each on Shock Wave, Flux and Protection. Then the next four Ki crystals must go one each on Healing, Shock Wave, Flux and Protection and so on, with the key idea being that there can never be a power that is upgraded more than one Ki crystal ahead of any of the other powers at any point.

4.) Insane difficulty must be chosen.

5.) Only automatic checkpoints can be used and you cannot quicksave at any time.

It's tough playing the game this way, but more fun than Heroic which I can imagine gets very tedious having to replay an hour long level just because you got taken out by a random exploding barrel due to an enemy's stray shot.

Face-Off: Shadow Warrior.

Visually, at least, it sounds pretty close to the pc version (Ultra with mirrors enabled), with only minor changes.

Performance drops are tied primarily to alpha effects being thrown around in close proximity to the camera. The game throws a lot of enemies at you, meaning you spend a lot of time slicing through them at close range. This, paired with the crazy explosions and reflections, produce moments where the frame-rate dips into the 40s (or, in select cases, even lower). What's important to note, however, is that these issues are not sustained for long and the game manages to return to a full 60fps update pretty quickly most of the time. Also, most of the torn frames crop up while slicing through enemies, which as a result of the chaotic amount of particles flying around actually manage to stay hidden within the action. Tearing tends to prove most distracting when rotating the camera and, thankfully, it doesn't often appear while doing so...

Additionally, Flying Wild Hog deserves credit for implementing a number of options we rarely see on console. It has included full field-of-view adjustment, the ability to disable and customise the HUD, the option to disable motion blur, control over weapon inertia and bobbing, and more. For the plasma faithful, providing the option to disable or alter HUD elements is a great feature, while customising FOV is almost unheard of these days. What's more, due to the nature of the game's performance issues, the wider FOV really has little to no impact on frame-rate, so feel free to modify it to suit your needs. We absolutely love it when developers allow for this sort of customisation on consoles and feel they deserve a lot of credit for taking the time to implement these features.

User is offline   Dukie 

I can confirm at least some of the new content in the campaign.

**SPOILER**

There is a new boss fight in chapter 13, a sword fight against Master Zilla.

It's fairly fun, but not too difficult.

There could be more campaign additions, but that's all I've noticed so far, and that is the chapter I am on at the moment.

• Honored Donor

I was disappointed when the sword fight with him was just a cutscene on the PC

My PS4 copy arrived. It plays great.

Since Youtube can't display 60 fps, Gamersydehas some gameplay footage people might want to check out (warning huge download size).

User is offline   Dukie 

I've got to the final battle of chapter 16 and once all the greater demons teleport in, unless you get very lucky, I'm not sure that part is beatable without Aswang Hunger and probably Soul Drain too. I've tried about 20 times and seem to always get killed, whereas the rest of the game up to this point has been fairly easy, even without Aswang and using a joypad.

It's too hard to get both shaman's right arms off without something killing you beforehand. If a Warlord gets you with their whip, then you get stunned and pulled into a whole world of pain in the middle of the arena so that's pretty much game over. You always have to be darting about to avoid the charging blue demon so your opportunities to attack the shamans are few and far between, so when you do get a slight chance you need to Divider of Heavens them quickly whilst leeching some health in the same moment to scrape by. Plus if you do ever get downed, soul drain gives you a chance to come back.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 28 October 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

My PS4 copy arrived. It plays great.

Since Youtube can't display 60 fps, Gamersydehas some gameplay footage people might want to check out (warning huge download size).

Actually, Youtube is starting to get 60 FPS :)

https://www.youtube....ch_query=60+fps

PC version on sale on Steam, 75% off.

User is offline   Lunick 

Coupons stack with the discount too so if you can find one of those flying around...

User is offline   Dukie 

There's also another boss fight with Zilla at the end of chapter 16 in the console version. It plays out similar to the fight in chapter 13, only he has an additional attack move second time round.

So all-in-all, the additional campaign content is two extra boss fights against Zilla, lasting about 25 minutes in total.

• Honored Donor

Are the fights any good?

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 25 October 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

I've personally had no problems running the game on my Ps4 whatsoever. Except for when I was Shareplaying the game to a friend several states away and he glitched through (and fell through) the map in survival mode,causing him to die. Other then that there were no problems with the game that I've experienced. As a first time player of the reboot, I was amazed about how this fps had an actual story that I cared about, even though I was playing as one of the 3 most badass characters in gaming. It was also probably one of the best first person shooters I've played in a long time. In fact right now, I should get back to it...

@Micky C
Also the Fights are pretty basic compared to the full-on boss battles (if he and I are talking about the same ones, I haven't played the pc version) and actually very short and similar...They're pretty fun, along with the entire game, but wouldn't say it's necessary to re-buy this game for less than 25 minutes of extra gameplay...

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 08 November 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostBalls Of Steel Forever, on 08 November 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

I've personally had no problems running the game on my Ps4 whatsoever. Except for when I was Shareplaying the game to a friend several states away and he glitched through (and fell through) the map in survival mode,causing him to die. Other then that there were no problems with the game that I've experienced.

I wish that was my experience. I really like the PS4 controls but the performance leaves a lot to be desired. The game suffers from constant framerate drops. It's super noticeable. I've actually had the game freeze on me multiple times. They last anywhere from a minor hitch to nearly twenty seconds when there's tons of action on the screen. Really disappointed with it, especially after playing Metro Redux which is looks amazing and never drops from 60. They haven't patched have they? I would rather they capped the game at 30 than have constant framerate drops.

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 08 November 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

I wish that was my experience. I really like the PS4 controls but the performance leaves a lot to be desired. The game suffers from constant framerate drops. It's super noticeable. I've actually had the game freeze on me multiple times. They last anywhere from a minor hitch to nearly twenty seconds when there's tons of action on the screen. Really disappointed with it, especially after playing Metro Redux which is looks amazing and never drops from 60. They haven't patched have they? I would rather they capped the game at 30 than have constant framerate drops.

I don't know what to say, they haven't patched it ( to my knowledge anyways) on the console, and well I can't really say anything to help, I'm sorry about that. I also played metro 2033 Redux (it was never releaed on ps3) and yes it was far better (having no issues what so ever) then the ps3 version of last light (which had tons of issues, corrupted saves, freezing, AI not moving along with doors, the list goes on...)I don't know why our experiences would be any different, it's kind of odd, (although pier solar hd supposedly had tons of glitches, and none of those occurred while I was playing it) Also, do you have the disc or downloadable version? I have the disc Version...(with an awesome T-shirt for pre-ordering). I'm thinking that maybe the downloadable version might be the problem, other than that, I don't know, and why? I wouldn't know either....

This post has been edited by Balls Of Steel Forever: 08 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options