Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior (2013) Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior (2013) Thread  "New Shadow Warrior Game Announced"

The box art looks cool as hell. I wish they had done/will do a retail release for PC.

This post has been edited by Trikeen: 10 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

There was a retail release for the game..... In the UK :P

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostLunick, on 10 July 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

There was a retail release for the game..... In the UK :P

I saw one in my local game shop for about £3!

User is offline   MetHy 

100% Achievement on both Shadow Warrior and Hard Reset now! (even though the first time I played Hard Reset it was offline). Waiting on their next game now...

Replaying Hard Reset so much made me realize how good it is, especially on high difficulties. I think it handled upgrades and game balance better than Shadow Warrior. In Hard Reset, on Insane and Heroic, there is still about 6-7 useful weapons, contrary to Shadow Warrior which was just Ki-Strike with the Katana + Rocket Launcher + Uzi.

In spite of all their flaws, these 2 games ARE the best modern FPS. They don't try to be movies and all that matters is the shooting, they don't take themselves seriously, gameplay and skill is the most important; and you fight against various types of 'simple minded' enemies, which means gameplay is based on movement and picking your target, rather than hiding behind a corner or taking cover.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I agree. I don't like Shadow Warrior as a Shadow Warrior game, but on it's own, it's really fucking awesome and I'm actually interested in seeing a sequel. The swordplay was fun and fresh. I never used any of the guns.

User is offline   Jblade 

I'd say the plot of SW was fairly good and playing again really showed off where they foreshadowed things (and the ending was really touching as well, which was the last thing I was expecting but it was a pleasant surprise)

User is offline   MetHy 

If a FPS should have a story, then SW totally did it right. It wasn't intruisive at all, just a few in-game cutscenes where control is taken from the player, but those went straight to the point and were generally fun to watch because they conveyed the story always with a light tone.
The animated cutscenes when beating a boss were very anti-climatic though, as well as being a bit confusing. Hard Reset's comic-strip style worked better.

The comedy duo (Lo Wang - Hoji) was the best thing about the story ; and Hoji's presence felt surpringsly lacking in that one level when he's not here.
(that level has kind of a plot hole btw; as it was said that Hoji is the one who amplifies Lo Wang Ki, yet Lo Wang still had his powers in that level... Unless we consider Hoji amplified his Ki for good whether or not he's there anymore, but that's not how it sounded when they said it at the beginning of the game)

This post has been edited by MetHy: 27 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah I wonder what they're going to do with that and Lo Wang's powers in the next game now that Hoji's dead.

Seriously micky? Hoji dies? I just completed chapter 12.. thanks for the spoiler.

User is offline   Lunick 

Yes, thanks for spoiling the ending of a nearly year old game in a 39 page thread :P

User is offline   HulkNukem 

This strikes me as a game where the story plays second fiddle to the gameplay (like 90% of games)

User is offline   MetHy 

Come to think of it, I think Hoji's presence was pretty smart. It allows the game to carry on the tradition of the "talking comical main character" of Shadow Warrior (and of any Build game). What I mean is, it never seems a problem in any Build game that the protagonists talk to themselves, but in a more modern and down to earth game, it would have seemed silly. Hoji allowed for this kind of things without being a coop partner which you either have to babysit or which babysits you.

I really like the idea and only now I come to realize the new Shadow Warrior's protagonist is actually one of the "retro" aspects of the game, which never striked me before. I missed this kind of FPS protagonists. I never liked Half Life style silent protagonists. They're supposed to make the player feel like they're really in the shoes of the protag by not hearing someone's else voices, while the player is supposed to imagine what the protag says... But, I don't think it works at all, at least it never has for me. To me, the effect is the contrary of what is wanted : it makes me realize the game is a game and disconnects me from it.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 29 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

• Honored Donor

I never had the impression that Lo Wang's one liners were directed at Hoji or for his benefit. IMO they would have worked just as well without him. Hoji was primarily a story aspect, where he'd reveal a bit of background info every now and then.

I actually wouldn't mind it if he was used in puzzle situations, e.g pulling switches and things were Lo Wang can't reach, possibly in a Prey spirit walk type thing. Of course that would require more thought be put into level design.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

The thread title really should be changed...

This post has been edited by The Angry Kiwi: 29 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

I have read that the PS4/XBOX ONE version of SHADOW WARRIOR 2013 will have an exclusive campaign content featuring Horrochi ZILLA...

User is offline   ---- 

View Postgemeaux333, on 30 July 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

I have read that the PS4/XBOX ONE version of SHADOW WARRIOR 2013 will have an exclusive campaign content featuring Horrochi ZILLA...

Thanks for the link to the sources.

User is offline   Engel220 

View Postfuegerstef, on 30 July 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

Thanks for the link to the sources.

http://www.polygon.c...uk-release-date

Mentions the exclusive campaign and also that the console release will have the bonus weapons from the original PC preorder. Bandai Namco is the distributor, which is...random.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 30 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

I hope that "exclusive" campaign comes to the PC version somehow at some point. Even if I have to pay for it!

User is offline   ---- 

In this thread one developer says it seems to be only new content within the existing campaign.

http://steamcommunit...70848706630009/

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 30 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Sounds like the various Story Serious Sam DLC that was released.

User is offline   MetHy 

Oh, just some improvements on the game then. Never trust video game news, they're like word of mouth and something get lost in translation and misinterpreted every time the news is brought somewhere else (remember at the time of the Jace Hall story, some news site were seriously talking about a "Blood remake"....)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I hope there is no major console exclusive shit, it's us PC gamers that made SW successful. That's kind of a slap in the face.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Shadow Warrior is releasing on October 24 for Xbox One and PS4.

Still no details about the new campaign content.

"Bringing Shadow Warrior to PS4 and XB1 has proven to be a challenge for us as we want to make sure the player experience is perfect. In play testing we have been focusing in on the controller inputs and response."We recognised that we needed more time to improve this as Shadow Warrior is an old school FPS and this demands perfection. Sadly this means a small delay in the release date, but Lo Wang needs to be at his best on these shiny new consoles."

The highlight of the game is the sword-fighting. Especially for PlayStation 4 where we have added touchpad support for some very intuitive controls. Not only will you be able to chop up the enemies to pieces more easily but you can also use the touchpad to perform all the combos and special moves. You’ll just need to swipe your finger in one of the four directions and press the trigger to launch a devastating attack or a crippling spell. The game runs on our RoadHog engine in 1080p in 60 fps. Some of you might have already the chance to see the game in action on one of the many gaming exhibitions it was showed at and we can’t wait for you to play the full game this fall. We love playing our reimagined Shadow Warrior on PlayStation 4 and we are really excited to release it the PlayStation community soon!

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

NextGenWang

So first, Shadow of Mordor turns out to be a huge surprise, Alien Isolation has been getting rave previews, and now this is coming out in October?
Gonna be a busy October for this guy

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostLunick, on 26 September 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

Is it just me or does he look considerably older here?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I honestly prefer that new look.

User is offline   K100 

I don't see any differences. Maybe more details but we almost never see him in the game.

• Honored Donor

Makes you wonder if they're going to update the graphics at all; the Lo Wang character model does seem a bit under-detailed in-game.

I think the "all new campaign" is just advertising talk for the campaign that was featured in the PC version is brand new to consoles; as in the singleplayer is new when compared to the original Shadow Warrior back in the 90's and NOT that there is new exclusive content for consoles; rather, the campaign is new to consoles. Slight difference.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 29 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options