• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior (2013) Thread  "New Shadow Warrior Game Announced"

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 02 December 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

In case no one noticed this game is 75% off. Just $10. If you're unsure about getting this game now's the time to do it, it's definitely worth $10, being a long game with above average combat.

http://www.humblebun...e/shadowwarrior DRM Free + Steam for anyone else here.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Arrgg I hate not having money.

User is offline   Lunick 

https://twitter.com/...123153322209280

From what I can see, Survival Mode should be in an update tomorrow and Lo Wang in Rise of the Triad?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's probably a multiplayer character. Will the Survival have a coop option?

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

The updates live.

Shadow Warrior has been updated with an all-new and absolutely free Survival Mode. Budding katana masters will be able to slice, shoot, and crash through an incredible onslaught of raging enemies in three custom-built battle arenas in the game's latest update.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostPlain Simple Garek, on 17 December 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

It's probably a multiplayer character.

Yes, it is.

But Lo Wang just threw his Katana away and use guns and bazookas from HUNTs, just weird for some reasons... :wub:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 20 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostPlayer Lin, on 20 December 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

But Lo Wang just threw his Katana away and use guns and bazookas from HUNTs, just weird for some reasons... :wub:

Yeah, Lo Wang doesn't use guns and bazookas!

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Was that the Goldeneye Facility I saw there?

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Yes, it's being remade for RotT by the modding community.

User is offline   Ronin 

So it seems Shadow Warrior might be getting mod tools in March or April. This could be interesting.

"DSOGaming: Will you release any Mod Tools or an SDK for Shadow Warrior?

MS: We will probably release Mod Tools in March or April and it will be probably the entire editor that we use internally. Of course we can’t promise any support for it :blink:"

http://www.dsogaming...s-future-plans/

User is offline   Lunick 

That's interesting, I don't recall them ever releasing mod tools for Hard Reset.

Of a different note from the same website, if you are waiting for the PS4 version of Shadow Warrior they are aiming for 60FPS at 1080p.

User is offline   Ronin 

It would be pretty cool if someone could redesign some of the enemy encounters to less wave based fights and have enemys just wandering the levels.

• Honored Donor

The problem is that lots of the enemies don't really pose a threat by themselves, unlike SW where even the most basic enemy could rip you to shreds if you're not careful. It's just how the game's designed, and as long as Flying Wild Hog are making the new SW games, I don't think it's going to change.

As for actually modding the game, then it sort of becomes a problem of the level design. The levels aren't designed that much for exploration and encountering enemies like that.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 25 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostMicky C, on 25 February 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

The problem is that lots of the enemies don't really pose a threat by themselves, unlike SW where even the most basic enemy could rip you to shreds if you're not careful. It's just how the game's designed, and as long as Flying Wild Hog are making the new SW games, I don't think it's going to change.

As for actually modding the game, then it sort of becomes a problem of the level design. The levels aren't designed that much for exploration and encountering enemies like that.

Yeah, you're probably right but I'm sure some people will come up with a few good ideas.

• Honored Donor

If you can tweak various aspects of the game itself, I would really vamp up the usefulness of the weapons. They're piss weak in SW 2013, even after fully upgraded. What feels like virtually zero damage, plus with a painfully long and frequent reload, and in some cases a very low rate of fire, they really are miserable to handle.

In the original SW, enemies could cut you down pretty quick, but you could cut them down equally fast if not faster. Both your weapons and the enemies are over the top so it cancels out in a fun, glorious mess. In SW 2013 both the guns and the enemies are weak so it's not quite the same.

User is offline   Player Lin 

If you ask me, if they want made SW 2013's weapons and enemies are powerful as Classic, I would hate it because it always cause Save/Load abusing for me...fun, maybe...but it'll getting boring in the end... :blink:

But yeah, it needed some kinds of balance in between...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 25 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

Bump. Shadow Warrior's 80% off over at Humble bundle for the next 18 hours. At $7.99 it's a steal.

https://www.humblebu...%20Daily%20Deal

It's hitting the PS4 and XBOX One this summer. http://www.gamespot....e/1100-6419962/

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 11 June 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Bump. Shadow Warrior's 80% off over at Humble bundle for the next 18 hours. At $7.99 it's a steal.

It's hitting the PS4 and XBOX One this summer. http://www.gamespot....e/1100-6419962/

Now we only need the DLC where you beat the twins and meet Master Leeb to fill the gap between the reboot/origin and the classic and we are done.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 11 June 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Damnit! 6€ on the humble dumble store and I paid 10,49€ for it on the current Steam sale! Oh well.... I say the game's worth the 10,49€ though, I'm hooked so far, even though it's EXACTLY like Hard Reset.

Also check this screenshot and how terrible this is
http://cloud-4.steam...40.resizedimage

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 June 2014 - 03:47 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 12 June 2014 - 03:45 AM, said:

Damnit! 6€ on the humble dumble store and I paid 10,49€ for it on the current Steam sale! Oh well.... I say the game's worth the 10,49€ though, I'm hooked so far, even though it's EXACTLY like Hard Reset.

Also check this screenshot and how terrible this is
http://cloud-4.steam...40.resizedimage

I know, it's horrible... There is no shading difference on adjacent walls, and IMO those sprite tables should have a transparent pal 4 sprite on the floor under them to simulate shadow.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I think it's fucking arrogant and completely derogatory towards the original game. Plus the game is shit too.

Fucking abhorrent.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMickey C, on 12 June 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

I know, it's horrible... There is no shading difference on adjacent walls, and IMO those sprite tables should have a transparent pal 4 sprite on the floor under them to simulate shadow.

The lack of shading is understandle, because wall based shading doesn't exist in modern game engines; but it's still lazy because they could have applied it directly to the textures.

No, the main issue I have with this is that it's supposed to look like the Build engine; except the shapes of the computer screens can't be done in Build, especially not on top of a sprite table.
Also the doorway and windows with the fence; I guess this could be done with sprites, sure, but in this case the fence wouldn't have looked like that. This is more picky than the screen though.

I'm really enjoying the game though; even though it really is EXACTLY like Hard Reset; except with a slightly better level design. But I liked Hard Reset a lot so I'm liking this. I think though this time there are too many upgrades, I really can't care for most of the stuff in the "powers" tree for instance, as well as quite a few stuff from the "skills" tree. imo Hard Reset did upgrades right, had just the right amount, while here there is too much and it's 3 different kind of upgrades you get from 3 different sources; that's too much for a FPS, I know some RPGs with less upgrades and freedom of choice than that.

Something else I was thinking of. So this new Shadow Warrior has 'turrets' section, and then I thought, well, the original Shadow Warrior did, too. It didn't have big waves of monsters spawning when you could use a turrets, but it did have turrets with a big wave of enemies to fight.
And then it striked me : was Shadow Warrior the first FPS with turrets? I can't think of any other before it.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 12 June 2014 - 06:55 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Something else in a 'retro' area that was not possible to do in the Build engine (to my knowledge that's not how SW's RoR worked)

screenshot

Also here they didn't even bother to create every side of the computer

screenshot

In another retro area it's possible to make the crates moves and go fly around by pushing them or hitting them... kinda weird especially because in the other retro areas you can't (which makes more sense).

So yeah the 'retro areas' were definitly VERY lazy in terms of design. I feel like they could have done a little more effort, by remaining consistent with the original game and at least applying shading directly on the textures to pretend wall-shading (I don't believe having THOSE textures twice in their texture pack would take much ressources).
OH YEAH I'm not done with the nitpicking :

You can destroy the cages; except on this one they put a sheet around it so the sheets remains in mid-air with the shape of the cage if you destroy it :
screenshot

In this level you have to go A LONG WAY around the building to take a backdoor into this room; because the floor got destroyed in the previous chapter. Except that, once here, you can actually do the jump from one side to another, not only it's easily physically possible but they didn't even put an invisible or anything !
screenshot

And here, if you go into this little hole, you will die as if you were falling into a big pit. Kinda suck when you're looking for secrets.... (it's in the small snowy area in the level in which you fall down a cave due to that falling ground mentionned above)
screenshot

But anyway - the only reason I'm able to nitpick like this is because I enjoyed the game a lot and know it by heart now.
I've finally done 100% achievements including beating the game on Heroic difficulty. I admit that I cheated for the secrets, I had a look at an FAQ because I was missing about 10 secrets (out of 106), most of them are easy to find but there is a couple I would have never found I had not cheated; and I wanted all the chances I could have to beat Heroic mode.

Kinda funny how the only games I cared to do 100% achievements on my Steam account are DN3D, SW and their modern sequels.

It's like I said in the previous post : the game is EXACTLY like Hard Reset except better crafted in every single way. The main grip I have with the game is it can definitly go gorgeous locations, but I feel we spend too much time closed-in boring environments like the cargo ship, Zilla's factory or caves. The first few chapters of the game were definitly the most gorgeous.

I wish they had gone more retro as far as level design and enemy placement is concerned. They could have done awesome things with what they have. They have such variety in enemies that doing a Doom/Duke3D/Original-SW style enemy placement could DEFINITLY work.

The most fun I had with the game was on my first playthrough, on Hard. On Hard you can have fun using a bit of everything, powers, guns, sword, etc. In Insane and Heroic, you quickly realize that the only power that matters is healing (the rest is useless because it makes you waste time which you could be using for killing instead), and as far as weapons are concerned, the only weapons that matter are the sword, and the rocket launcher and uzis for bigger demons and bosses. Everything else is pretty much useless. Oh, and when I say 'sword', I mean Ki-Strike; in Heroic mode especially, you'll be doing Ki-strikes about 90% of the time. It's still fun though because it's all about using it well : optimizing the dmg of every hit, while avoid shots with good movement, while prioritizing your targets. The problem is that the Ki-Strike is definitly overpowered, especially considering it can heal you.
EDIT : OH, and the demon heart is very useful as well on Heroic. It makes you save time killing the guys carrying shields; and had I not killed about 4-5 invisible bitches at the same time with a single demon heart during the last fight of chapter16, I wouldn't have made it. I saved the demon heart exactly for the annoying bitches (because if you don't kill them fast they prevent you from healing and come one after the other on your ass) and it worked better than expected.

Heroic wasn't that hard, basically only the last fight of chapter 16 and the last boss was hard. Took me about 4-5 tries and 7-8 tries respectively. For the rest of the game, the only problem is having to restart a level over if you die in a stupid way, which is tedious but not hard. I'm also glad I saved money and only upgraded 3 weapons, because you definitely need all the money you can get to buy rockets for the last fight of chapter16.

Anyway highly recommend game, make sure to play it on Hard first playthrough while trying a bit of everything for the most fun.

I really hope they do a DLC (Hard Reset had one which was better than the original game) and/or they give dev tools to the community. I'd definitly try making a level.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 30 June 2014 - 03:57 AM

• Honored Donor

IIRC they are going to release mod tools.

I really hate how useless most of the weapons are. Either they're useless, or the enemies have waaayyy too much health, especially the bigger guys. It can be hard to feel like a badass if you can't instantaneously kill off the bad guys. Even the rocket launcher feels pretty weak.

Fix that, and make the level design more open (obviously with more traditional encounters and multiple routes for replay value included), and it'd be relatively perfect.

User is offline   Ronin 

I would love if they just scattered the maxed out weapons around the levels like the old game.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostComrade Major, on 20 December 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

Posted Image

I've never seen that viewscreen having such a high resolution before.

Posted Image

Devolver Digital and Majesco Entertinament today announced a retail distribution partnership to release the katana-slinging action of Shadow Warrior on the PlayStation® 4 computer entertainment system and the Xbox One games and entertainment system from Microsoft this Fall. Devolver Digital will be distributing the game via both consoles’ digital services while Majesco distribute the game at retail.

“Shadow Warrior turns the 90’s nostalgia meter way up, delivering big guns, big blades and big attitude laced with humor,” said Jesse Sutton, Chief Executive Officer, Majesco Entertainment. “This is a must have title for every kind of fan: those who loved the original game, FPS enthusiasts and players looking for a deep next gen experience at a legacy price point. We’re proud to partner with Devolver to bring this highly rated game to the console audience.”

"Our fans have been very vocal about bringing Shadow Warrior to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One so we’re absolutely thrilled to be working with our friends at Majesco to put Wang in a box later this year,” said Devolver Digital CFO Fork Parker.

Shadow Warrior is a bold new vision of the 1997 cult classic, reimagined with a blend of modern design, inventive combat mechanics, and a contemporary retelling of Lo Wang’s comical rise to legend. The game tells the eccentric tale of Zilla Enterprise’s corporate shogun, Lo Wang, who is ordered by his employer to track down and acquire a legendary blade. Forced into a timeless battle, Lo Wang learns of the blade’s connection to ancient gods from another realm, pushing our world to the brink of destruction. Aided by Hoji, a banished spirit from this mysterious world, Lo Wang must use a masterful combination of gun, blade, magic and wit to discover the truth behind the demonic invasion and banish the encroaching forces back into the darkness.

Developed by Flying Wild Hog, Shadow Warrior will be available for the suggested retail price of $39.99 on PlayStation® 4 and Xbox One in late September. For additional information, please visit the official game site at www.shadowwarrior.com.

Guest_TheGameZ_*

Awesome Can't to pick it up, My Pc is not touch enough to play, I should upgrade my pc sometime

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Own it on PC already, but I only got to the second level multiple times before stopping for various reasons.
May just end up getting it on PS4 also, depending on if Last of Us can hold me over until October when a crap ton of games start coming out
I think I might like using a controller instead of KBM, first person melee always felt better using joysticks, especially when theres combos involved.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 09 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Excited for the proposed updates that were mentioned long ago.

Share this topic:

• 45 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options