Duke4.net Forums: New Cycloid and Duke Models - Come Get Some! - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Cycloid and Duke Models - Come Get Some!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Next Gen Cycloid & Duke
Including source files!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hey everyone. Waayyyyyy back in 2010, DT and Davox approached me to construct a new Cycloid model for a 'secret' project that they were working on. To cut a long story short, it was my first big next-gen character model, and it took a while to get it together. In the meanwhile, a lot of 'Real Life' happened to people and everything wound up in limbo for a few years.

During that time, Green approached me, having been given access to a sculpt of Duke Nukem done by Mark Skelton. Mark had very kindly allowed us to take a look at his model. Based on his model, I created a completely new game model for the HRP. It's a completely new mesh, new UV maps, new skins, new armature, new animations. Spiker did him a new set of skins and we were in business. I made him a new jetpack and Spiker contributed his shotgun model to the occasion. We had an original next-gen Duke!

Fast forward to about a month ago. I hadn't been able to contribute anything to the HRP for a while due to pursuing some other projects. The few times that I did get involved, it quickly became apparant that my views on the priorities of the project didn't jibe with most of the other members of the forum. I decided that it would be best to take a complete break and step away from the project for while.

As DT and Davox had started the whole Cycloid project off, I asked them what they wanted to do with him. DT came up with the idea of releasing the Cycloid to the community as a 'going away' present. I thought that this was a great idea. If the project maintainers are OK with the idea, I will defy my own convention and release the source .blend files for Duke and the Cycloid.

So here is The Cycloid Emperor model and a new Duke Nukem model. Thanks to all who helped to bring them together. I've really enjoyed working on the HRP. It is where I got my start as a game modeller. Keep on Duking and Nuking. I wish all you guys all the best.

Sources
I've uploaded the files to Sourceforge. Included in each is the Blend file, the textures, the MD3 and the defs.
Both the Cycloid and the Duke model are released under the same license as the HRP. A txt file is included.

The Duke file includes both the Duke file used to pose for the animations, and the two end screen renders in their 'raw' Blender formats. The Blend files are the low poly game models rigged and skinned within Blender and containing all the animations required to use with Duke Nukem 3D. As the figure is rigged, you can add extra animations, add new weapons, etc.

Included in the two End Screen Blends are complete Cycles set-ups for rendering the end screens as they appear in the files. If you want to use a different renderer such as Blender Internal or Yafaray, it's all there for you.

One note. To save time, I didn't animate the shotgun cocking. I have one with it in normal mode, which follows the hands through the first few frames, and one with it cocked, which is saved by itself to another layer. Just make the right layer visible in Blender with the correct shotgun model. It is posed to match the hands.

The Cycloid includes the Blend file used to create the animations. He too is fully rigged and animated.

Duke
Cycloid

ENJOY!

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 03 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

They both look great! The Cycloid's face does look a little off though. Really nice otherwise.

User is online   Mark 

Awesome stuff.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Going away present? Does that mean you're not going to finish the next gen pig cop, lizman and trooper you were working on? Those were great :P

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 25 February 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

If everyone is OK about releasing the source, I'll chuck the zips and the blend files up onto sourceforge.

So, who is going where and who else need to give permission for the source?
If you are going, for as long as you stay on planet earth ... all the best Posted Image

• Polymancer

I've got some other projects that I've been putting off for lack of time. I haven't had time recently to contribute anything anyway.
With the number of times that HRP assets have been ripped off for other projects, I didn't know if it was a good idea to publicly post the sources or not. If the consensus is not to openly post them, I can make them available to trusted members of the modelling community.

I'd also like to thank Mark., who did an invaluable job of beta testing, and my Son Steve (not Steveeeie!) for helping with concept work on the Cycloid.

Also thanks to Green, who secured the use of the high poly Duke model - and of course, many thanks to Mark Skelton!

Some images from Unity, which I used for screenshots. Thanks to Steve for them.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And an outline render from Marmoset
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 25 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

User is online   Mark 

I just made 2 quickie screenshots of the models. These are compressed jpg from mapster only, so quality isn't quite as awesome as in-game. But I'm still way impressed with the looks.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0006.jpg
  • Attached Image: capt4.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Those are exquisite, ultra detailed.

View PostTea Monster, on 25 February 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

If the project maintainers are OK with the idea, I will defy my own convention and release the source .blend files for Duke and the Cycloid.

It would be pragmatic to at least entrust the .blends in safe hands because we could see something along the lines of VWeap as things progress.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Wow! That looks awesome, Tea Monster. Your contributions have been invaluable over the years, and I wish you the best in your future endeavours.

Personally, I'm all for releasing the source no matter what, but it's your call. I agree it sucks major ass when people rip off your assets..

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I copy and pasted the code exactly the same into my "characters.def" file, but I'm getting this:

Invalid starting frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:336
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:337
Invalid starting frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:339
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:340
Invalid starting frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:345
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:346
Invalid starting frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:348
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:349
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:350
Removing model 19 due to errors.
Invalid starting frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:372
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:373
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:402
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:403
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:404
Invalid starting frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:406
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:407
Invalid frame name on line highres/sprites/characters.def:408

User is offline   xMobilemux 

This is awesome! Can't wait to try this out! I really hope that Duke in the next game looks like that!

Also the Cycloid looks very good, do you have any plans to try the other enemies?

User is offline   Spiker 

It seems the model you posted includes only running animation and the rest is missing :P

• Polymancer

Doh, here's a fixed version - just the model. I'll upload the complete packs to sourceforge later.
Attached File  1405_duke2013.zip (9.37MB)
Number of downloads: 684

Wesker500 - several enemies were in production. No plans to continue them at this time.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 26 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

Are you sure it's the most recent version? Kick animation is still broken, he barely moves his leg.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Thanks so much for these models!
One issue left : it seems that the kicking animation doesn't work.
Attached Image: duke2013NoKick.jpg

User is offline   Spiker 

Nevermind my previous post. I will fix these problems myself and upload it to SVN, Still need to figure out how to remove the seams.
Also there are broken normals but I've already fixed it.

This post has been edited by Spiker: 26 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

The Cycloid looks pretty damn good. There are a few lighting issues with the Duke model though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Plus there's a wee problem with him crouching at the start.
Posted Image

User is offline   Spiker 

I fixed these isssues and will upload it to SVN soon.

User is offline   Spiker 

Ok, Ive uploaded Duke and Cycloid to the SVN :P the only issue that is left are those visible seams on Duke's back, any idea how to fix these? Plagman?

User is offline   Jinroh 

Damn, those look really sweet, especially Duke he looks so classic! :P Can't wait to try these out.

User is offline   TON 

I haven't words
Downloading ... :P

• Polymancer

My appologies, I'm at work at the moment. Thanks Spiker!

Mark. mentioned a floor problem at his end, but I didn't see it at my end. Might need a height adjustment for the crouch frames in the def.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 26 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

It's already fixed in the repository :P

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

We need highres/sprites/ice/1405_duke2013_ice.png. I have prepared ice.def in the repo, but maybe additional changes are necessary.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

So uh, why hasn't this hit front page news yet?

Now for my flipping out:

OMG!!!!!! I've been wanting a new Duke Nukem model for the longest time!!!!! It's like a dream come true. Thank you so much for your work Tea Monster and the others that have worked on it! The Cycloid Emperor looks great too! I've got to test this out now!!! But I think I'll wait until it's front page news so that everything is sorted out well with fixed version of Duke and whatnot. Great work!

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 26 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostLeoD, on 26 February 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

We need highres/sprites/ice/1405_duke2013_ice.png. I have prepared ice.def in the repo, but maybe additional changes are necessary.
Same for frozen cycloid...

• Polymancer

I've been at work and I'm still writing up the story. :P

Thanks everyone. The Cycloid is mine, but Duke is very much a team effort. Mark Skelton did the high poly, Spiker did the skins (and fixing!) and Mark. did a lot of testing.

I'll confer with Spiker, fix anything else that needs fixing and I'll chuck the source files up onto Sourceforge in the next few days.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 26 February 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

I've been at work and I'm still writing up the story. :P

I will miss you, I learned a lot from you. Posted Image

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Fuck, this is amazing! We need more models like this for the rest of the enemies and the weapons.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostBloodshot, on 26 February 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

Fuck, this is amazing! We need more models like this for the rest of the enemies and the weapons.

No shit. Posted Image but Tea Monster is toast Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options