Duke4.net Forums: Alternative to Mapster32 ? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alternative to Mapster32 ?

User is offline   pierrem 

Hi,

I've been looking for an alternative to replace this old and good maspster32 wich is a little bit too old fashioned for 2012.
I found some other map builder, but no one I got is finished or fully functionnal.

Did I missed something on the Net ?
If someone knows some program that is more efficient (I don't want a Unity like, but ...), please let me know !
And tell all the comunity ... they'll appréciate for sure

thks in advance

p

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

The alternative is to not make BUILD maps at all.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostTerminX, on 10 December 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

The alternative is to not make BUILD maps at all.

Seconded. Mapster32? Old-fashioned??? Mapster32 is as good as it gets for the BUILD engine. The only thing that is really missing is prefabs, and that's really not a huge deal...

Pierrem, are you sure that you have the latest build?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

He's probably thrown off by the lack of newbie-friendly menus. There's a pretty big difference between the steep learning curve of memorizing dozens of hotkeys and something that's "inefficient." There is literally nothing more efficient than a system where all you have to do to access just about any function is press a single key (or ctrl/alt/whatever + key combination). As soon as you get past the initial hurdle of figuring out what these keys are, it's fast as hell.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostTerminX, on 10 December 2012 - 08:10 AM, said:

He's probably thrown off by the lack of newbie-friendly menus. There's a pretty big difference between the steep learning curve of memorizing dozens of hotkeys and something that's "inefficient." There is literally nothing more efficient than a system where all you have to do to access just about any function is press a single key (or ctrl/alt/whatever + key combination). As soon as you get past the initial hurdle of figuring out what these keys are, it's fast as hell.

I'm not sure what he's expecting. If you're wanting a different map editor with buttons then maybe you should be looking at upgrading your game to the source engine with the Hammer map editor which in my opinion sucks compared to Mapster.

Its not Mapster that needs to change its the people using it.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 10 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

User is offline   t800 

OK, guys, I know that I am just layman in building maps and I understand you, TX, that you are proud of Mapster32, but you are still pretty rough to him.
Yes, there is alternative and before you start to yell at me about it missing some newest features - I tell you one thing, he wasnt asking for most complex and up-to-date editor, right?

To pierrem:
There is one alternative to Mapster32 with GUI and it is called LEBuild.
http://lzg.duke4.net/leb10.htm

*Preparing for hate reactions* :)

This post has been edited by t800: 10 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

The fact of the matter is that he referred to Mapster32 as "old-fashioned", without really further elaborating on what functionality he was looking for or indeed what problems he had with the engine. It comes across as insulting. Maybe that wasn't his intention but it's difficult to be helpful or point someone in the right direction without understanding that person's needs, especially given that Mapster32 is by far the most used editor for BUILD engine games now (with the possible exception of BUILD itself).

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View Postt800, on 10 December 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

*Preparing for hate reactions* :)

LEBuild does some neat stuff.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 10 December 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

LEBuild does some neat stuff.

That's true, it has some useful features occasionally worth opening up for, however it can burn in hell as a mainstream full-time level editor. The only person who managed to create a full map in LEBuild is the creator of LEBuild himself. The enhanced user interface, which might save a bit of time in learning controls, does not compensate for the extra time and mental effort it takes to figure out and use it's "z mode" for editing heights and slopes.

As everyone knows it doesn't have a properly functional 3D mode, nor does it even support the latest map format for eduke32 (which is only used for TROR granted, but it makes transfering constructions from LEBuild to your map tedious.)

Back on topic, the only way I can think of making mapster more modern, besides a few helpful little things like a proper sector cutter, are having multiple windows with different views on them. One 3D mode, one regular 2D mode, one orthographic view mode, and one idk maybe side view. Having to switch between them all the time can be quite tedious and repetitive, especially when something in 3D mode heavily relies on something in 2D mode that you're trying to get right.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 10 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

To be honest, when I saw Mapster32 and started using it, I thought it was a bit freaky to use. Before ever making a Duke3D map I was quite good with Doom Builder and made some neat maps for myself but when I went to Mapster it was just a big jump for me.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I was a build addict even when mapster came out until I swap to mapster shortly before Oblivion was completed.

Mapster can make TROR and more cool stuff.

Probably other editors can make too.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostZaxtor, on 10 December 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

I was a build addict even when mapster came out until I swap to mapster shortly before Oblivion was completed.

Mapster can make TROR and more cool stuff.

Probably other editors can make too.

I learnt Build inside and out back in 1997... going to Mapster was a natural progression with no real learning curve. There is one annoyance I have with Mapster but i'm living with it as I believe that i'll never be able to provide sufficient log details of my problems since nothing ever gets recorded when the error occurs. Aside from that its still really functional for me in XP. However, I still am unable to use mapster in windows 7 but it doesn't slow me down any I prefer the XP shell anyway. When I die I want to be buried with the last latest synthesis build of Mapster beside me. =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 10 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

User is offline   Hank 

I think we are getting off-topic
to first post, my two cents.

http://wiki.eduke32....yboard_Commands
this is a list of all +300 key commands and mouse clicks etc.
Simply make a print out and have it close by. That way, you have a visual reference when getting familiar with Mapster32. (this sort of worked for me)

To program a GUI for Mapster32 with Touch Screen to be suitable for Windows 8 (i.e. for 2012 comps) ain't going to happen; see post number 2 Posted Image
If you want to develop a game, TC or map for EDuke32 then Mapster32 works in Windows, but as just mentioned, you need to learn the Key Commands inside out.

Now as you wrote, compare that to using Unity. Its GUI is top notch, but talk about a steep learning curve. There is little difference to learn what a specific Key command does versus a mouse click of a menu item. The hardest thing at times is to undersand what it does.

Hope this helps. Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxtor 

When I went mapster.
I started using 2 program at same time.

Build for windows thingies and mapster for others until I went 100% mapster for both.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I thought mapster32 was just build ported to modern OS's with enhanced functionality?

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostPaul B, on 10 December 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

If you're wanting a different map editor with buttons then maybe you should be looking at upgrading your game to the source engine with the Hammer map editor which in my opinion sucks compared to Mapster.

Funnily enough Hammer HAS the same kind of hotkey-fast-paced functionality. It´s just that since it also includes the classical buttons, almost everybody gets used to the slow-noob way.

To some extent I´m glad Build/Mapster32 has been always the way it is. It forces us to be sharp.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I could never figure out any other map editor. I think BUILD/Mapster32 is really easy to use. All you have to do is memorize a few keys and methods. Not rocket science.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 12 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

User is offline   ox-skull 

Mapster32 for the win. :)

Its still build at its heart.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 12 December 2012 - 12:10 AM, said:

I could never figure out any other map editor.

You should try Doom Builder II too, it's really easy to learn.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options