Duke4.net Forums: RE[RELEASED] Atomic Arena - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RE[RELEASED] Atomic Arena  "New Polymer Duke Map"

User is offline   Paul B 

MODIFIED

The following adjustments have been made.

- Fixed swinging doors overlapping adjacent sectors causing clipping issues with ceiling and floor tiles.
- Vent opening in bathrooms stalls were made smaller to minimize the impact of the sector tearing which occurs when the stall door is closed. (This can’t be reasonably fixed)
- Fixed overall texture problems
- Fixed intentional texture stretching in Shipping & Receiving room
- Allowed security gate in hallway to open earlier than before.
- Reduced the amount of rocket ammo for single player making some rockets available for multiplayer instead. Duke was able to kill the final boss without entering the Stadium because too many rockets were provided through out the map which would allow the player to skip the final battle enemy respawn trigger.
- Fixed backwards placed sprite objects
- Provided additional shading and details. Some sprites weren’t showing because they had the wrong palette assigned to them.
- Removed sector shading at the start of the map
- Changed Atomic Stadium building sign at start
- Fixed under the desk switch in Manager’s office.
- Changed enemy positioning in Pete's shooting range so they'd be more aggressive.
- Added more ambient sounds to the map.
- Re-assigned switch in command center to security gate instead of Red keylock doors

Orginal post below with updated map download link for anyone who cares.

Just in time for the American long weekend! Here's something to play! =)

This map initially started out as a Duke Death match level that has been transformed into a really fun single player user map. This map also supports Co-op mode as well.

Please don't play this map with anything other than Polymer and Duke HRP. I haven't tested this map with any other renderer or setup.

This map is freakin' difficult, if you can beat this map without dying you're a better Duker than me. Good Luck and save often! There's only one difficulty setting configured for this map and its damn hard. Hope you like your options Duke, now go blow things up!! =) Actualy I lied.. I did set difficulty on two AI players in the game one of which is a mini boss and the other is a commander which makes the game a lot more difficult at the start. Reflected the change in the Readme File to Difficulty set = YES hence the reason why I updated the zip file. So if you want a challenge up front play the map on Come Get Some the way it should be played.. It will add one Mini Boss and one commader to the overall game. Also I have disabled a feature called mantling to allow those Duke Plus players the ability to play the map without having to cheat.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Atomic1.jpg
  • Attached Image: Atomic2.jpg
  • Attached Image: Atomic3.jpg
  • Attached Image: Atomic4.jpg

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 01 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Despite the HRP those are some good looking shots. Is there something I should be worried of :P ?

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Map is great, excellent work! I didn't use the HRP or anything, though. So here's what I saw with software:

It works fine, but none of the light switches work, and there are a lot of glitchy areas (mainly the stadium portion). Also, not sure if this was supposed to have some special code (Dukeplus?), but I had to cheat to get on to that ledge (Jetpack is from cheating):

Attached Image: duke0010.png

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's a solid map. Not quite as ambitious as Brooklyn Bridge, but it doesn't have to be. The map was surprisingly flat, by which I mean the layout was very horizontal. Might I suggest that your next singleplayer map be something like L.A Rumble where you're jumping from building to building through the windows, maybe including some rooftops.

Detail, shading, and combat were good. There's plenty of cover in the hallways to fight from. You have need to have the ability to connect things in your head in order to get where you want to go in one or two places. And the stadium itself is very nicely done. I couldn't find the shrinker or a freezer which would have helped spice things up a bit, but otherwise I like it.

@gerolf, there will be occasional glitches in software and polymost because some areas use TROR, including the stadium. Although I don't think it'd be too hard to make this map classic compatible in the TROR compartment. As for that ledge area, if it's what I think it is (it's hard to make out in the pic), then it would be really handy if you had a box you could step on to get up there Posted Image

User is online   zykov eddy 

I'm stuck. Where can I find first access card? :P

Btw, from what I've seen so far, this map is great. The only thing I didn't liked is the lame signboard on the building in the beginning.

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 24 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View Postzykov eddy, on 24 November 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

I'm stuck. Where can I find first access card? :P

Btw, from what I've seen so far, this map is great. The only thing I didn't liked is the lame signboard on the building in the beginning.

Okay guys... what really sucks is in order for the map to be fun... you need to find the secrets.. Because the secrets will give you the things you need for the map. Like the shrinker and the freezer both of which you get right at the start. I did make the nagivation tricky and I will say one thing. If you play the map and go too far ahead of yourself you will be trapped by a swarm of enemies. If you play the map the way its meant to be played. You won't have that surprise attack with the tanks. Its best to get the Blue Keycard before going too far into the map. My hint to those finding the blue keycard. It is in the manager's office. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback Micky. I had a feeling you'd enjoy the game play more on this map. I'm curious to know if you found the blue keycard avoiding the trap in the hallway or did you get rushed by the enemies? It was the first time I used a bridge effect to spawn a series of enemies only when a player doesn't access a certain location. It's a neat effect and was used with the intention of slowing the player down so you dont just rush through the map only to get to a dead end.

Gambini you have nothing to worry about this map its all original.

I've also learnt a new trick with Mapster I didn't know before and I came across it by accident. here is what I found... If you build two rooms and have a door lowtag of 20 connecting the two rooms. If on one side of the room you give the sector adjact to the door a low tag of 32767 the door becomes a one way door. In that the sector without the tag of 32767 will allow you to open the door But the sector with the tag 32767 you won't be able to open the door from that side. Really cool trick.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

• Honored Donor

I was rushed by the enemies...

View PostPaul B, on 25 November 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

Gambini you have nothing to worry about this map its all original.

Hold on, that stadium is the one from E3L11! Jks.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMicky C, on 25 November 2012 - 12:10 AM, said:

I was rushed by the enemies...

Hold on, that stadium is the one from E3L11! Jks.

Actually when I was building this map I thought that this would have been a good replacement for that level. I think you meant E3L9.

If someone says this map is too linear i'll be pissed off because there are 4 doors you can chose to enter either one right at the start of the map. How much more non linear could you want? hehe

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

User is offline   Arwu 

Paul B. do you have some screenshoot with this door trick :P ?

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostArwu, on 25 November 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

Paul B. do you have some screenshoot with this door trick :P ?

oh.. you mean the 32767 one way door trick? just make the other side of the door a sector tag of 32767 it has to be the sector right beside the door. Its nothing special its really easy to do. I did it by mistake when tagging a secret room in my map i accidentally tagged a sector beside my door and the door would let me into the secret room just not out of it. haha. Nice secret hey.. Stuck inside.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 November 2012 - 01:45 AM

• Honored Donor

That must be the glitch where the door lotag isn't detected because there's a sector lotag in the way, in this case 32767. It's probably just as good to have the door work with an activator then make a one sided invisible switch, place it on the side of the door you want it to be opened with, then expand it so it covers the door.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMicky C, on 25 November 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

That must be the glitch where the door lotag isn't detected because there's a sector lotag in the way, in this case 32767. It's probably just as good to have the door work with an activator then make a one sided invisible switch, place it on the side of the door you want it to be opened with, then expand it so it covers the door.

Or you just don't tag the sector as a secret right beside the door. I actually like the one way door approach myself and was thinking of including that in a future map. I like the idea of forcing a player into a situation where the player is forced to find an alternate route. In any case I was able to quickly work around my problem by not tagging the sector right next to the door which in my case worked just fine.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

User is offline   Arwu 

in my case, when I connect two rooms by 'ceiling door' sector, and make in one of these roms a thin sector connected to door (tagged 32767 of course), then as Paul mentioned, door can't be opened from that side :P nice trick, Im going to use it too - on my map :P
aha, if player stand on this secret sector then door can be used normally, Im done some testing and sector with 32767 should be less than 160 in width to make trick work

User is offline   underTaker 

Really enjoyable map! I liked it way more than Brooklyn Bridge.

I liked the design, which was original, yet had strong classic feel. I also liked like when the progression through the map went further it became harder and more challenging. I couldn't find any weapon at the beginning, but later i found out they will appear as i progress.

It was bit laggy, but i bet mappers can't do anything with it, since it is polymer engine being imperfect yet.

I didn't encounter any bugs and troubles, and the gameplay went smooth.

I liked it really much :P

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

A pretty good map, took me 19 minutes, didn't find it difficult at all except for the very laggy boss fight: I don't think my health ever went below 50. Found 2 out of 5 secrets.

User is offline   David B. 

I'm stuck after having found the yellow card, I opened the locker room and climb up on the roof.
But what's next ? The grid vents leading to the second room are not destructible. Back on my way, I don't know where to go after that nor how to find the red key...
Help...

(So I cheated to see at least the ending and...

The final battle is amazing, outstanding. All this prooves there are still many gamers today, well inspired with refreshed mind to provide new maps like this one.

Thanks.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Yeah, what David B. says is right.

Even though it was specifically designed for Polymer and HRP.. playing without it reminded me of those maps from the 90s, where people were still trying new things. So this one is staying in my usermaps.

User is offline   Hank 

I like the map so far on normal Duke 3D (can't play polymer)
I played in Piece of Cake (

Your health is tight, and I managed to collect 40 shot gun ammo before I've got the shot gun.
I did get ahead of my self, and sort of had to back track to find the key cards.
There is a fenced barrier in the tunnel. You can get to either end of the fence by 'running' through the tunnel; is there any reason it exists?

In the arena, I've got like killed, so at this moment I am on moms lab and suck my thumb Posted Image

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Nice one again, Paul. Well done again. People still come up with details that appear fresh to me. :P
DukePlus players: Note that mantling needs to be turned off in order to get up to the place shown in the attached screen shot. (Unless you have a jetpack but I don't know if it can be found before you reach that location.)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: AtomicArenaDPmantle.jpg

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostLeoD, on 25 November 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Nice one again, Paul. Well done again. People still come up with details that appear fresh to me. :P
DukePlus players: Note that mantling needs to be turned off in order to get up to the place shown in the attached screen shot. (Unless you have a jetpack but I don't know if it can be found before you reach that location.)

Guys... you know what is amazing how a simple game like Eduke can be played with so many different play styles. From the feedback I am hearing I am glad to hear every one for the most part has enjoyed it. It makes me happy to know that I can make a map that people like especially when not all of you have the same play style and when I created this map I tried to create it in a way that would appeal to different styles of play even though the map plays out really linear. I tried to remove the linear aspect by throwing in some curve balls with the AI. I am going to update the map one final time to disable "Mantling" so that people with Duke Plus can play the map without cheating. What a disappointment it was to hear the map was unplayable for some because of this. So the current download should allow you to play the map as it was intended and with Duke Plus. Hopefully this is all I needed to do.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and the props. It is imposible for me to test and catch everything.

@ Mikko_Sandt - It would be appreciated when you have the time to see this map included on your website.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Thank you so much for supporting the DukePlus guys. :P

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostPaul B, on 25 November 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

I've also learnt a new trick with Mapster I didn't know before and I came across it by accident. here is what I found... If you build two rooms and have a door lowtag of 20 connecting the two rooms. If on one side of the room you give the sector adjact to the door a low tag of 32767 the door becomes a one way door. In that the sector without the tag of 32767 will allow you to open the door But the sector with the tag 32767 you won't be able to open the door from that side. Really cool trick.

Similar effect. If you have a swinging door and you give the adjacent (parent) sector a one time sound tag, the door cannot be opened until the sound has been activated. This can be used to keep a door locked (without the use of SEs, touchplates, or switches), until the player gains access to the room by an alternate route and trips the sound.

btw: interesting and entertaining map. not as ambitious as some of your previous work, but still fun.

This post has been edited by Forge: 25 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostForge, on 25 November 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

btw: interesting and entertaining map. not as ambitious as some of your previous work, but still fun.

Keep in mind this map was intended to be a death match level. Single player was just an added bonus.

@ Mikko. - I dont understand how it can take this guy 20 minutes to play the map from start to finish when it takes me 20 minutes to play the map and I know where to go and what to do. Mikko must play maps on roids! haha I would be very curious to see a youtube video of Mikko playing a duke nukem usermap he hasn't played before just to watch how he gets around the map based on first impressions and instincts. Seems like not much slows this guy down when he plays his duke games.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

• Honored Donor

We should ask TX to add an SE 358; when Mikko is detected playing, make random doors come down every now and then and lock for 5 minutes.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMicky C, on 25 November 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

We should ask TX to add an SE 358; when Mikko is detected playing, make random doors come down every now and then and lock for 5 minutes.

How mean. Posted Image

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

No door can stand in my way.

Anyways, I still have a first-time gameplay video of that Brainwash map but I haven't uploaded it yet. That was a long map though.

User is offline   Loke 

He's Finnish, so it's not that surprising. They're often great at video games. And they're godlike at motorsports especially rally.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostPaul B, on 25 November 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Keep in mind this map was intended to be a death match level. Single player was just an added bonus.

the game play was good (which is usually what suffers when converting DM to single player), but the construction in general is what seemed to be of lower quality from what you're normally known to do.

It looked rushed and there were quite a large number of basic errors. Environment interaction and ambient sounds were also minimal compared to your other work. You'll see what I'm talking about when Puritan gets around to uploading the review.

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, 'cause the map is really fun to play despite my nitpicks, but there's some stuff that should have been fixed or a little more attention spent on tuning imo.

This post has been edited by Forge: 26 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

Modified Post

View PostForge, on 25 November 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

It looked rushed and there were quite a large number of basic errors. Environment interaction and ambient sounds were also minimal compared to your other work. You'll see what I'm talking about when Puritan gets around to uploading the review.

@ Forge,

Unfortunately, I think I know exactly what you are talking about.

Basically you are referring to the 100's of misaligned/stretched texture sectors and non existent trimming through out the map. I am aware of this and most of it was intentionally left, it doesn't mean it is rushed because I did spend a lot of time correcting the larger obvious places which I use Duke HRP for. I chose to make this a basic map and the smaller closer together sectors I purposely ignored because I realized when reviewing and polishing the map there were some walls that would just lose their alignment after I had already aligned them. I also got frustrated with the damn ceiling / floor alignment process which only seems to have gotten worse in more recent revisions of Mapster. I can no longer select a ceiling texture and have it align properly when pasting it so I grew tired of repeating myself as it felt like a unworthy time sync. It is also very cumbersome to align textures using polymer because the shading of textures makes it difficult to see properly. I have also been experiencing a bad glitch with copy and pasting tiles, shades and alignment with Mapster that I never experienced before in Build or earlier versions of Mapster. So it forces me to check and recheck a lot of stuff and sometimes I just plain miss stuff too.

I knew when I started this map it could not be perfect but it could be fun. I wanted to expand on E3L9 and I wanted more than just a football arena. I wanted a structure that was simple which resembled what you'd typically find in an actual stadium. I believe you got the feeling this was not as ambitious as my previous maps because some copy and pasting was done which helped speed up the process.

While building it I was concerned about the wall count. I was worried that I wouldn't have enough walls to finish this map and I didn't want to make the hallway pillars out of sprites. A sprite structure just never resembles a believably strong structure. Fortunately, I was able to finish the map without maxing out the wall count but it did come close. I did add more pleasantries to the side rooms like the Duke Burger and red key card area to give the map a more modern feel even though it was a basic cement stadium. The background sounds I kept to a minimum. I'm not sure why I only chose to add ambient sounds to certain places and not consistently through out. I guess I felt like the atmosphere was better left silent because how much noise do you actually hear in a cement structure? I also get frustrated not knowing which sounds work with a Music/SFX sprites and which don’t. Sometimes a certain sound can only be a one time sector sound but there is no indication of it when browsing through the list of sounds.

I hope when the map is rated it isn't solely focused on the lack of time spent on my part with texture alignments and ambient sounds.

What I did focus on was key enemy positioning and traps. Scale in relation to Duke's character, the size of objects and the height of objects and doors to give things a more realistic look and of course symmetry. I also introduced a new element in this map which I haven't seen in any other Duke map before. It is the ability for duke to be confined in an area but he can fortify himself against an wave of attacks using movable objects around him. An example of this is the Manager's Office in Duke Burger where the Blue Key card lock is. Duke can close a door and move a filing cabinet to cover his flank while he fights a force in front of him through the double doors. It also gives Duke the ability to throw pipe bombs over top of the filing cabinet at his rear to protect him against the enforces which are prying at the door.

View PostHank, on 25 November 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

There is a fenced barrier in the tunnel. You can get to either end of the fence by 'running' through the tunnel; is there any reason it exists?

Hank, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain at what part of the map this is? Thanks

Are you referring to the escape route in Duke Burger using the vent? The reason there are openings in that vent is for a sense of direction so you know which way you are heading.

Hank - Try playing the map on Come Get Some. Now that you know the layout of the map better and hopefully you know where to find some key weapons you can handle the two extra enemies in the map it definitely makes things more interesting. =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostPaul B, on 25 November 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Hank, I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain at what part of the map this is? Thanks

Yeah, this is hard to describe, see image

I am just wondering, why the fence needed to stay closed after the player ran all around the arena.
Yes, minor details. Posted Image

added
I read through Forges ... He is right, it is a fun map, and I will play it again.

This post has been edited by Hank: 25 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options