• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior on iOS

Posted Image

http://www.3drealms....ior_on_ios.html

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 21 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Love Shadow Warrior, but more than a little hesitant to purchase this after the debacle that was Duke Nukem 3D for iOS.

This is by a different developer. Whether that will make a difference in the end remains to be seen.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I'm surprised that the normally vociferous Mr.Deviance doesn't have an opinion about this.

View PostAchenar, on 21 November 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

I'm surprised that the normally vociferous Mr.Deviance doesn't have an opinion about this.

I don't buy ios devices so I don't really care that's why.
When and if it comes to android, I will comment.
But my opinion on fps games played entirely with a touch screen has never really been a positive one.
I only play fps games with a mouse and keyboard. Every other type of controller interface annoys me when it comes to fps games.
The first and last fps game that I've had the patience to play with something other than mouse and keyboard was Goldeneye for the N64

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 21 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

You should try doom or bioshock. Those are my favorite games with a playstation controller, and they are super great games.

View Postrasmus thorup, on 21 November 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

You should try doom or bioshock. Those are my favorite games with a playstation controller, and they are super great games.

I tried doom on lots of platforms and I even own it on the SNES where I've endured the frustration of playing it with the snes gamepad and even managed to beat it.
As for bioshock I think I might have played it for a few minutes one day when I noticed that my gamepad was rumbling by itself while I was playing it with the mouse and keyboard.
I just don't play fps games with a gamepad or a touch screen without feeling extremely limited by them.
I did play some fps games on my phone out of curiosity or boredom but it always felt slightly more frustrating to do so than the time when I first learned how to hold chopsticks and use them properly.

Well the only reason why i bought a few fps games on my playstations was because i didn't have a PC that could run it. I highly prefer fps games with mouse and keyboard as well.

View Postrasmus thorup, on 21 November 2012 - 08:42 AM, said:

Well the only reason why i bought a few fps games on my playstations was because i didn't have a PC that could run it. I highly prefer fps games with mouse and keyboard as well.

I understand. Well I would only play console exclusive fps games with a gamepad if I really had no other option.
As for multiplatform games, I always played them on pc because I'm used to keep my homemade rig up to date and it's been a very old hobby of mine to have the latest in pc hardware and gadgets at all times if possible.
So I can afford the luxury of running all games maxed out and with graphical enhancement mods where applicable.
I personally never found myself in a situation where I ever considered to get a console just because it's cheaper to play some of the upcoming games on it.
For me, if a game doesn't have the resolution options and the AA and AF and texture options in the menu, It just doesn't feel that I have control over it.
I really need to feel that I have control over how my game is being rendered on my pc or else I just can't treat it as a quality product.

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 21 November 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

This is by a different developer. Whether that will make a difference in the end remains to be seen.

Judging on the merit that the same thing happened with the Duke port for andorid and iOS. it could possible be disasterous.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is there any news to indicate what controls they're using?

User is offline   Green 

• Game will be released end of this year.
  • It will be universal app, which means one game for iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch.
  • It will support latest Apple devices like iPhone 5, iPad Mini, iPad 4 as well as older devices: iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 4, iPod Touch 5, iPad 2, iPad3
  • We know how important game controls for mobile game, especially for hardcore game like Shadow Warrior, so spent hell lot of time to make really good game controls and it has dozens of configuration options.
  • It will have great original sound track
  • Awesome OpenGL-based renderer

http://www.generalar...rrior-ios-port/

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It will have great original sound track

Hopefully this means it will have Lee's original soundtrack, not a soundtrack original to this port.

Awesome OpenGL-based renderer

Sounds to me like another GPL violation in the making (the first being Duke 3D XBLA), unless they are using only the engine from a port, in which case they need to contract with Ken.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Maybe they ported it from scratch from a relicensed copy of the DOS source and wrote a GL renderer from scratch also.

• Honored Donor

If that's the case it's a shame that there isn't any dynamic lighting with explosions and things like there is in polymer for vanilla Duke 3D, I'm sure iOS devices could handle it.

User is online   Lunick 

Please no D:

• Honored Donor

View PostLunick, on 21 November 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

Please no D:

What, you don't like the idea of another dodgy iOS port or the possibility of it having some dynamic lights?

Btw, thanks, always nice to hear I'm awesome Posted Image

User is online   Lunick 

View PostMicky C, on 21 November 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

What, you don't like the idea of another dodgy iOS port or the possibility of it having some dynamic lights?

Btw, thanks, always nice to hear I'm awesome Posted Image

I just don't think Shadow Warrior would be good as a mobilised game. Maybe on the iPad but I'm just not seeing it happen on iPod or iPhone screens because of the buttons.

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

It's based on JFShadow Warrior. Source code of course will be released.

User is online   Lunick 

You should make us a good PC port aswell sir :P

This post has been edited by Lunick: 24 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostLunick, on 24 November 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

You should make us a good PC port aswell sir :P

It depends on how people gonna like iOS version. If everything will be good, I'm sure 3D Realms continue work with us on different projects.

• Honored Donor

Well, if you're any better than the Duke 3D iOS game developer, that's a huge head start, and it's not really that hard: Duke 3D iOS came out with horrible controls, and it took a year for the developers to improve them, however at the same time they introduced an annoying bug and put in advertising even though it was a paid app! They also came out with an iPad version, which was exactly the same as the iPhone version with the same controls which were the same size, completely ruining the iPad's huge potential for great controls.

So compared to them I think you're going to do finePosted Image

User is online   Lunick 

I have played the Doom clones that the developer has released and they are steady on iOS even though they use the Doom iOS source code and the not so good Freedoom art. I think this could be a good port after realising who these guys were.

Will this iOS port include Wanton Destruction and Twin Dragon?

*Hears a knock on the front door*
Old Lady: Hello it's you know who!
Me: Oh Gawd!
Old Lady: I know you love me. I'll make you love me!
Me: Lady somebody beat you w/ an ugly stick!
Old Lady: heheheh!
Me: Oh, fuck this! *Escapes through an open window*

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostDustFalcon85, on 24 November 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Will this iOS port include Wanton Destruction and Twin Dragon?

Not in first version. Maybe later as in-app purchase.

This post has been edited by GeneralArcade: 24 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostMicky C, on 24 November 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

Well, if you're any better than the Duke 3D iOS game developer, that's a huge head start, and it's not really that hard: Duke 3D iOS came out with horrible controls, and it took a year for the developers to improve them, however at the same time they introduced an annoying bug and put in advertising even though it was a paid app! They also came out with an iPad version, which was exactly the same as the iPhone version with the same controls which were the same size, completely ruining the iPad's huge potential for great controls.

So compared to them I think you're going to do finePosted Image

Bad Duke Nukem port is one of the reasons why we are decide to work on Shadow Warrior port :P

View PostLunick, on 24 November 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

I have played the Doom clones that the developer has released and they are steady on iOS even though they use the Doom iOS source code and the not so good Freedoom art. I think this could be a good port after realising who these guys were.

Thanks. We will try our best to deliver good port.

User is offline   #SH@DOW# 

any plans for android port?

User is offline   t800 

So far it looks like nice piece of work. Good luck!
I hope too that it will eventually get released also for Android.
Will be filtering optional - for those who prefer classic pixelated graphic for old school experience in nearest filter over smoothed out in linear?
And where are voxels? For me it is little distinctive feature that distinguished Shadow Warrior from Duke3D.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostGeneralArcade, on 24 November 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Not in first version. Maybe later as in-app purchase.

Is that some kind of joke? Making otherwise free stuff available as an "in-app purchase" seems pretty shady to me, especially since neither Twin Dragon or Wanton Destruction ever cost anything. Just because you can sell FreeDOOM wad contents due to the permissive license on them doesn't mean you can just do the same with the free work of others...

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View Post#SH@DOW#, on 25 November 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

any plans for android port?

Need to check with 3D Realms

View Postt800, on 25 November 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

Will be filtering optional - for those who prefer classic pixelated graphic for old school experience in nearest filter over smoothed out in linear?
And where are voxels? For me it is little distinctive feature that distinguished Shadow Warrior from Duke3D.

We are planing to add option to turn off filter. Voxels will be as option too. Sreenshot

View PostTerminX, on 25 November 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

Is that some kind of joke? Making otherwise free stuff available as an "in-app purchase" seems pretty shady to me, especially since neither Twin Dragon or Wanton Destruction ever cost anything. Just because you can sell FreeDOOM wad contents due to the permissive license on them doesn't mean you can just do the same with the free work of others...

Calm down. I don't know about legal state of addons. That's why I said maybe. If 3D Realms don't have rights on it, we cant' put it in, but if they have they will decide include it or not and at what price.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options