Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Zero Hour for Eduke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Zero Hour for Eduke32

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Before you all flip a shit over the topic title, and start with the spiel about how "You'd have to rewrite the whole game", or any other technological thing you think you just have to say as if I didn't already know there's a HUGE difference between the N64 and the EDuke32 engine. Anyways, with all that cleared up:

How would you feel if something like that actually came true, and had a first person view option (with it's own models designed specifically for that)?
Would you want that to happen? Fans would finally be able to make something out of a game in the series besides Duke Nukem 3d, and most likely a PC version would perform better (in regards to controls and graphics). Basically, would the Duke community be interested or not?

Again, no technological conversation over software/hardware needed, just a simple Yes/No with an explanation for why/why not.

EDIT: Technological conversations allowed, but please don't come here explaining how it's impossible, because it is actually not impossible, especially don't say anything about the tech if you've never actually tinkered with it.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 03 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Of course people would be interested... Zero Hour was a great game, and anything new for EDuke32 is always appreciated.

• Honored Donor

Glad to hear it from you first TerminX :D

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I never played Zero Hour, so this would be pretty cool.

That being said, If it were done I would like to see someone change the movement mechanics of Eduke to play a little differently in first person. I like it when things aren't quite the same mechanically if it isn't supposed to be the same game, for some reason.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 02 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I'd like to be able to run Time to Kill and Land of the Babes via EDuke32. Just for a few minor features like the ability to change the screen resolution to a wider viewing area.

• Honored Donor

Bloodshot said:

change the movement mechanics

DNZH had it's own kind of movement mechanics that could easily be implemented into Eduke32 (in fact it already has in some projects)..

NUKEMDAVE said:

I'd like to be able to run Time to Kill and Land of the Babes via EDuke32. Just for a few minor features like the ability to change the screen resolution to a wider viewing area.

Yes, but those games would need a serious overhaul of the BUILD engine.. Though EDuke32 has many features that those games had, I think it would take 100x the amount of work it would take to make DNZH... DNZH used the BUILD engine anyways.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I would. I've never played that game.

EDIT: I had no idea it was on the N64. I used to have one of those...

Shit, that was a lot of years ago.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 02 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postgerolf, on 02 November 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

DNZH used the BUILD engine anyways.

It's been pretty conclusively shown that although ZH used the Build map maker, it used a completely different custom engine that only shows similarities with build because the maps are also 2.5D.

• Honored Donor

Yes, but it could still be replicated, come on now, the "completely different custom engine" isn't all that different, I've seen people pull shit off with EDuke that looks like what can be done in DNZH many times.

This is all just me talking, but maybe really soon I will look deeper into DNZH, and maybe return with some great news, or just a disappointment. You'll find out if I ever find out for myself :D

Anyone who thinks that TTK and LOTB should be converted... That would take WAY longer not only because of what I stated above, but because the physics of the game are like Tomb Raider, think of how the controls would be in first person! DNZH has the potential of being a FPS, just check out the multiplayer, all that's required is some weapon models for that.. So if I did get anywhere, my first concern would be to get the original game working with EDuke32, then I'd worry about the first person mode..

This post has been edited by gerolf: 02 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Yeah, the third person view is a pain, quite a bad choice. But from what I have seen, it's entirely possible to replicate the game in Eduke32, if anyone is willing to convert all these models...

User is offline   thatguy 

How about re imagining those games that were in third person into first person? Just so we get a definitive version of those games.

• Honored Donor

That's what I wish to do with DNZH, but I'm not touching TTK/LOTB...

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I'm playing Zero Hour on an Emulator (half way through it) so I don't really need it on Eduke, unless it came with the ability to create your own Zero Hour maps or something. But mostly I would love TTK and LOTBs on Eduke because those games are 2 of my all time favorite Duke games :D Their Emulators suck.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

So people are saying it might be possible to convert the ZH maps to eduke32 maps, but that all the art assets will have to be ported and the enemies and so on recoded?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

One thing to consider is that Dan M's Eternity mod did something that felt similar to this. He ran into a lot of problems with frame-rates in Polymer.

User is offline   Fox 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 02 November 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

How about re imagining those games that were in third person into first person? Just so we get a definitive version of those games.

You don't even need to mention that. If a mod was created, it would have the F7 to change the view mode.

View PostMicky C, on 03 November 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

So people are saying it might be possible to convert the ZH maps to eduke32 maps, but that all the art assets will have to be ported and the enemies and so on recoded?

Kinda, here is the answer I got from Beacham when I contacted him back them:

We actually used it [Build] to make maps for Duke Nukem: Zero Hour too, although with custom functionality added by our coders

So I guess it would be possible to convert those maps to Eduke32, but they wouldn't work perfectly. For example, if I am not wrong many of the "3D model sprites" have different values for the width and lenght of the collision boxes, while Duke 3D only has one value.

• Honored Donor

Well, there's many ways it could be done..

One would be the easiest way (but may not be possible), the other would be the recreate the maps as accurately as possible.

The graphics could probably be ripped, even though I know of nobody doing so.. I say this because for a whole decade everyone thought no one could rip graphics from DNTM, but somebody did recently..

Something like this would take years to finish, similar to how your Duke 64 project, Fox.. It takes time to make absolute perfection for this type of thing, because you're not trying to "make your own thing" you're trying to take a game, and bring it somewhere else :D

User is offline   Fox 

It would be relatively easy to rip the graphics. But to put them togheder and make the models would be a problem.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 03 November 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

For example, if I am not wrong many of the "3D model sprites" have different values for the width and lenght of the collision boxes, while Duke 3D only has one value.

I think the engine would be fairly simple to extend to support more collision shapes.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I've always wanted to a Zero Hour mod.

• Honored Donor

It's good to hear the community is in favor for something like this.

I'm going to play through the game again, and then maybe in the next few months, I will have some great news.

Since your look at ripping assets anyway a good place start would be ripping out the models, figuring out the format, and incorporating that format into eduke32. Than you should get in a loader into eduke32 that can load in whatever image format there using(probably is like a 8bit palette format of some kind). The sounds may or may not be a problem depending on how there saved. At that point you basically have all the assets at your disposal and you can focus on game play, and level design.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Posticecoldduke, on 03 November 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Since your look at ripping assets anyway a good place start would be ripping out the models, figuring out the format, and incorporating that format into eduke32. Than you should get in a loader into eduke32 that can load in whatever image format there using(probably is like a 8bit palette format of some kind). The sounds may or may not be a problem depending on how there saved. At that point you basically have all the assets at your disposal and you can focus on game play, and level design.

Wouldn't even bother trying to hack the models in their native format into Eduke. I'd just use a screen grabber to pull the models out of the game via emulator and then re-texture them using Project 64's ability to dump textures.

Music should be a piece of cake, the soundtrack is floating around in it's complete form as a miniusf and mp3.

Sounds on the other hand might be a bit trickier (I've never been able to get them out of the rom before.)

The biggest pile of work will be the coding. All the weapons, items, monsters. Plus cinematics.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 November 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

Wouldn't even bother trying to hack the models in their native format into Eduke. I'd just use a screen grabber to pull the models out of the game via emulator and then re-texture them using Project 64's ability to dump textures.

Music should be a piece of cake, the soundtrack is floating around in it's complete form as a miniusf and mp3.

Sounds on the other hand might be a bit trickier (I've never been able to get them out of the rom before.)

The biggest pile of work will be the coding. All the weapons, items, monsters. Plus cinematics.

Your plan is way easier :P, I haven't ripped n64 stuff, I just assumed there wouldn't be a"out of the box" way to convert those models into anything useful.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 03 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

• Honored Donor

Steven, the sounds can be ripped using cheat codes and Project64's audio recording... but the game has well over 2000 sounds, and many of them are the exact same thing as others, just different quality/pitches.. I recorded a lot of them already, but mostly just Duke quotes so far.. I will eventually post all that.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 03 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You can rip them out of the rom, actually. You just have to guess the sampling rate. It appears that most of them are in the 8,000-11,250 range. I was told that if you can figure out the exact sample rate of one sound, it's possible to rip out it's information, and then use that to rip out every other sound's information since it's all in the same format. I don't know a lot about it, so I haven't bothered with it myself, but it's definitely possible and better than ripping them via soundcard.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 03 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

• Honored Donor

Thanks for the tip, I'll be looking into that now.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 03 November 2012 - 07:38 PM, said:

You can rip them out of the rom, actually. You just have to guess the sampling rate. It appears that most of them are in the 8,000-11,250 range. I was told that if you can figure out the exact sample rate of one sound, it's possible to rip out it's information, and then use that to rip out every other sound's information since it's all in the same format. I don't know a lot about it, so I haven't bothered with it myself, but it's definitely possible and better than ripping them via soundcard.

I've never had any luck getting any of the sounds to come straight out of the rom. Not with the tools that were available at the time.

Was able to rip the Duke 64 lines no problem, though.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I've bothered with it recently, it works, I just don't know what I'm doing. I asked Nukey about it (he figured out all the stuff for Duke64.) He pointed me in the right direction, but I'm a big dummy.

i for 1 would love to see Zero Hour come to EDuke32. and i don't mind if it's 1st person or 3rd person view. i would play it either way. and it would be much better than having to play it on an emulator

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options