Duke4.net Forums: BLiGHT [Released, sorta] - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BLiGHT [Released, sorta]

User is offline   CruX 

...Ho boy, is it time for another one of these already?

Posted Image

BLiGHT is a project I started working on roughly a year ago after inspiration in a number of Zdoom mods culminated in me wanting to create a similar experience with eDuke. I rocked along with that goal for about the first six months, but as I worked on it and brainstormed more, I felt like leaving it just at "Duke mod that borrows from Zdoom mods" would've been selling the concept short, so I changed tracks and restructured certain aspects of the mod, gearing it towards being standalone. That goal's finally been accomplished, it's gone through a bit of third-party testing with the reception being largely positive, so I figure it's ready for a formal announcement/development thread. What I posted in the WIP thread a few days ago was actually using an older version of the mod's weapons, which I'm (kinda) trying to salvage in something else. BLiGHT, however, remains the focus.

Anywho, here's a little gameplay video with me prattling on about it like a moron, feel free to mute it if you can't take my dumb voice - -

The story (TL;DR in-game shots from the protagonist's POV);

Spoiler

The story (synopsized);

Spoiler

The enemies
Spoiler

At this point, the vast majority of the codework is done. At least, there's nothing experimental for me to do. Level design is the biggest challenge (ain't it always?) and given my track record, I figure this will probably get a bit of a lukewarm reception in light of that, so I'll close with this guarantee;

since BLiGHT's pretty much in decent enough shape for a release right now (at least as a proof-of-concept or whatever), if I'm not ready for a formal release in three months, I'll post what I've gotten done, come hell or high water. I'm probably going to start working on the actual maps first thing tonight. In the (unlikely) event that anyone wants to help out on that front, drop me a PM and we'll talk. In any other event, let me know what you think!

-UPDATE-
First of all, I'd like to apologize to Eddy. I know he just released Slender's Woods (which was incredible, btw), and I don't want to look like 'that guy' by giving BLiGHT a release right after it, so let me just say that this is really shit timing on both of our parts, though it wasn't deliberate in either case. I'm nearing the end of the three month deadline that I promised in the OP (check the above paragraph if you didn't catch it) and unfortunately there's just no way I can get something legitimate out the door in the time I've got left without doing a sucky rush-job. That being considered, I'm releasing BLiGHT along with the test board I built for the initial beta testing process, i.e what you'll see here is more or less what the guys that beta tested it saw, though some extra enemies have been thrown in so it plays like a relatively normal (if not small-ish) map. There's no reason to worry about the future of this project. I'm still working on it every bit as enthusiastically as I ever was, I just want to keep my word and at least put something out there so the wider community can experience BLiGHT for themselves.

http://www.mediafire...1icuifnn15741hb

Here's the dowload link ^. Since it's standalone, running it is as easy as unzipping and running the "ExtClut" bat file (I forgot to rename it. Oops). Have fun and shit.

Special thanks to TX, James and Helixhorned for taking the time to give it the initial testing

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 21 October 2012 - 04:30 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

I've had the privilege of helping to test this and it's really amazing stuff, looking forward to the final release (and to everybody else it'll be worth the wait)

Another amazing TC in development! Can't wait for the release!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I really liked that. I am glad there are still people doing mods with the style of 90s' games.

But I would recommend you to give up on that sort of HUD. It may look like fun at first, but it is not pratical and eventually would just serve to confuse the player. When it comes to HUDs, simplicity is the best.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 26 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

The HUD's fine, trust me - maybe have an optional minimal HUD is fine but getting rid of it completely is a bad choice since the mod itself is really old-school. A modern HUD like that wouldn't fit at all.

User is offline   Cage 

While video isn't that thrilling (well it's more of a narrative about the features), this mod seems very interesting with a nicely established atmosphere and style. Feature wise nothing groundbreaking but I'm sure it'll feature pretty solid gameplay as Crackdown did.

The protagonist's story is pretty cool and well written, you could break up the text a bit, to help readability, especially since it's worth reading.

Keep up the good work! Hopefully we'll see some city levels as well? :( And the mutant could be still visible (maybe as a floor aligned sprite) after he melts down, now he seems to disappear.

This post has been edited by Cage: 26 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   Loke 

It took me a while but now I hear it; you sound very similar to John Carmack only a bit deeper. :(

Fun to see a different take on the player protagonist which is a far cry from the usual standard ultra-muscular bald space marine. Game is looking mighty fine indeed.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I like the weapons, the sounds, and the idea of the gooey sewer enemy is very original.

I'll try to do a news item soon!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostJames, on 26 July 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

The HUD's fine, trust me - maybe have an optional minimal HUD is fine but getting rid of it completely is a bad choice since the mod itself is really old-school. A modern HUD like that wouldn't fit at all.

The image is just for illustration, I didn't meant the HUD should be identical to it.

Wow this is going to be a very good TC... i like zdoom mod style, it seems to be ZenDynamics :(

// Super Metroid door sound, nice :(

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 26 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

This looks really really cool, I can't wait for it to be released :(

User is offline   CruX 

View PostCage, on 26 July 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

The protagonist's story is pretty cool and well written, you could break up the text a bit, to help readability, especially since it's worth reading.

Keep up the good work! Hopefully we'll see some city levels as well? :D And the mutant could be still visible (maybe as a floor aligned sprite) after he melts down, now he seems to disappear.

The story's all displayed in-game using gametextz commands, etc. I know it probably sounds like a bit of a cop-out response, but it's a lot easier on the eyes in-game (I noticed a bit too late that a few words are cut off in the screens). I could try extra spacing between words, but I'm worried that would look even weirder and jack up the number of pages involved. Glad you liked it in any case, though. Going from CrackDown (which had almost no backstory) to that felt really awkward and I was pretty worried about how it would be received. There'll definitely be city levels. Probably what I'm going to start building tonight :(

View PostYatta, on 26 July 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

I like the weapons, the sounds, and the idea of the gooey sewer enemy is very original.

I'll try to do a news item soon!

Awesome!

View PostFox, on 26 July 2012 - 12:08 PM, said:

The image is just for illustration, I didn't meant the HUD should be identical to it.

It's cool, I got it :D I'll probably work on a minimalist HUD while I'm mapping; it's one of those things that's easy, but not particularly fun, to do so I've been holding off on it. Like James said though, the original HUD stays.

View PostRichardStorm, on 26 July 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

Wow this is going to be a very good TC... i like zdoom mod style, it seems to be ZenDynamics :(

// Super Metroid door sound, nice :D

Super Metroid indeed :D Now if someone can pinpoint the teleporting sound, I'll be really impressed. Zen Dynamics was awesome, btw.

User is offline   sedition 

That looks really amazing.
Nice story, good enemies, great leveldesign and I love this crosshair!

Can´t wait to play this.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You're some kind of wizard. This is cool shit.

The teleporting sound is from Earthbound, right?

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 28 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Its looking good. Good choice of sounds as well.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 28 July 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

The teleporting sound is from Earthbound, right?

'Fraid not, try again ;) It's from a popular(ish) form of media, but not a video game.

In other news, while I started working on the very first few sectors for a map, I decided to start looking into skyboxes.

Spoiler

Trying to retain that oldschoolish look, though. This is a heavily edited little gem I found on the r667 forums. I know the mountains probably shouldn't be that high up, but since they're the most detailed part of the box, I want them to be visible. Thoughts?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostEmericaSkater, on 29 July 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

'Fraid not, try again ;) It's from a popular(ish) form of media, but not a video game.
Very old machine. ;)

I know the mountains probably shouldn't be that high up, but since they're the most detailed part of the box, I want them to be visible. Thoughts?
Cut off the dark lower third if possible.

User is offline   Jblade 

Are they animated? The fact that they're a cube is noticable - if it's not animated I'd recommend making the sector either a circle or more sides so that the angles are a bit more hidden.

I saw this video and I like it.
It feels like an old classic that I've missed out on.
It's an old classic built today!

Looking forward to this! Really resembles Doom with those centered weapons and NPCs and level style.
You said nothing experimental - well, at least this project won't take you ages to complete it. I hope it will be intriguing and original enough to play. I usually don't care much about the story, still I like the 'not-a-hero' approach =)

User is offline   CruX 

View PostJames, on 29 July 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Are they animated? The fact that they're a cube is noticable - if it's not animated I'd recommend making the sector either a circle or more sides so that the angles are a bit more hidden.

The skybox is done through DEF language (i.e, it doesn't involve that showview trick). Would it be possible to alter it in such a way? Truth be told, I kinda think all skyboxes have those obvious contours, but it's still a lot better than that weird glitch you get with regular sky textures.

View PostLeoD, on 29 July 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

Cut off the dark lower third if possible.

That's part of the problem; if I lower it too much, all you can see is the sky. I can try lowering it back down a bit, though.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 29 July 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

I saw this video and I like it.
It feels like an old classic that I've missed out on.
It's an old classic built today!

Praise from Mr. Deviance. Rare occurence indeed ;) Thanks!

View PostCraigFatman, on 29 July 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

Looking forward to this! Really resembles Doom with those centered weapons and NPCs and level style.
You said nothing experimental - well, at least this project won't take you ages to complete it. I hope it will be intriguing and original enough to play. I usually don't care much about the story, still I like the 'not-a-hero' approach =)

Yeah, this really started out as Doom-ish type of mod, and it still retains a great deal of that style, but I think I've done enough with it to still make it (mostly) its own thing. If you want to get an idea of what I was working with when I first started it, check out this page in the WIP thread.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I only just got around to watching the video, and one thing that hit me right away was the level design, from what I can tell the layout, architecture and texturing and trim work are top notch, as was the case in Crackdown. After I stopped gawking at that, I was then able to focus on the new features. I think my favourite effect is the funnel cannon and how enemies freeze (as well as being able to kick them into so many pieces). It also seems to have a lot more enemy variety compared to Crackdown, or what I can remember of it, which is always a good thing. Those flying drones look fun to fight, and kind of remind me of the flying things in the Marathon games. Can't wait to play it Posted Image

User is offline   Martin 

Looks awesome. I like your sprites. Is everything made by you? That's a lot of work! I've always wondered if bump or parallax-mapping could be used on sprites to make them pop more.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostMartin, on 30 July 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

Looks awesome. I like your sprites. Is everything made by you? That's a lot of work!

Nothing was scratch-sprited if that's what you mean, but almost everything you see in the video and the shots involved some kind of editing on my part, to differing magnitudes. The Pustule I edited from a Doom Imp, the Corrupted were ripped from some wad where the Doom Marine was sprited with a bunch of different weapons, the weapons are all Eriance's though I did quite a bit of recoloring to them, the protagonist's mugshot was based on a resource posted on the Zdoom forums, etc. Even simpler stuff like the textures had to be run through editart just to make sure they'd look good in DN3D's palette. In terms of time spent developing this, the artwork involved probably takes up the biggest chunk.

User is offline   Gambini 

I absolutely love this. I hope you release it soon.

My panties are wet from watching that gameplay demo! Only thing I can think of is will there be any boss enemies? Hopefully some of the great mappers will jump on board. Looks like the best Duke mod project since WGRealms!

User is offline   shmargin 

This looks really awesome. Havent played any Duke mods since way back when the engine was only barely outdated, but this looks great.

Kinda reminds me of some of the indie developers out there that are making modern point and click adventures with classic era graphics. Which I support 100% Hope to see this project come to fruition, looks like it would be really fun and I love the graphics style.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostBruno Mattei, on 30 July 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

Only thing I can think of is will there be any boss enemies? Hopefully some of the great mappers will jump on board. Looks like the best Duke mod project since WGRealms!

You're too kind ;) I'm not sure about bosses; I'm in the process of editing one more enemy, and that might be it. That stuff takes a lot of time I could be using to map.

View Postshmargin, on 30 July 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

This looks really awesome. Havent played any Duke mods since way back when the engine was only barely outdated, but this looks great.

Thanks, though I showed my appreciation for the praise by accidentally downvoting you. Sorry ;)

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 31 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

Looks really cool! ;)

User is offline   Ghyril 

I think I heard of this project before and I have to nice work so far.

As a suggestion maybe can add a double barrel shotgun by anychance?

Spoiler

That looks like oversized room than a sky, can you fix that?

This post has been edited by Ghyril: 01 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options