Duke4.net Forums: 3D Realms reviving Earth No More - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Realms reviving Earth No More

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostReaperMan, on 27 June 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

Its kinda like the people who make idea threads on duke4.net then right?

Our policy on user ideas is different from that of the 3D Realms forums. Check out the notice we have on very the bottom right of each forum page. :(

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostYatta, on 28 June 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

Our policy on user ideas is different from that of the 3D Realms forums. Check out the notice we have on very the bottom right of each forum page. :(

This is why we love you.

Minus one.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Okaye, so ths Duke3D wad wil be liek Fredy Kruger vs Batman vs Duek. Ther ar 20 new wepunz. Gibe mod pls.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostBurnett, on 27 June 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

Since when do you think other companies don't bring ideas? They do that in pre-development and in development. 3dRealms wasn't some kind of company that generated ideas and then sat doing nothing(perhaps they are now). They just had money and connections so that their ideas could to be realised.

I can have lots of ideas but don't anything about them. Everyone could.

That's not at all what I meant. What I meant was that I'm completely bored with modern action gaming - the FPS genre especially - , and unless someone actually brings something new to the table I might just as well skip on new games completely and just play through Duke 3D again or something.

It's a bit like the old "3DR should just finish DNF and get it out with"-argument; if I just wanted a game, any game, there are countless others I could play. But I want something special enough to actually be worthwhile, I can't get that anywhere.

There are lots of companies that release games already, but without ideas that interest me then it doesn't even matter if they're realized or not.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 01 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

One thing is for sure. They LOVE money. So this is what they are doing, IMO:

Releasing a game they don't really care about that much, but it serves it's purpose of advertisement for Gambitious.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Eurogamer just posted this update with a few new details.

http://www.eurogamer...site-gambitious

"Eurogamer was told by the people behind Gambitious that Earth No More is a co-production from 3D Realms and another mystery developer, similar to the collaboration that resulted in Max Payne with Remedy and Prey with Human Head.

More details will be announced when the project is ready to go live on Gambitious."

Exciting stuff!

User is offline   Kathy 

Which was known since 2007. Exciting indeed.

http://www.giantbomb...h-no-more/4389/

That's too bad, I think. ;)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Considering how DNF turned out, both the extremely lengthy development time, and the final result, it's probably for the best.

User is offline   Kathy 

De facto 3dRealms was dead for a long time anyway so I doubt it even matters.

You don't think 3DR or George has learned anything from the development of DNF? I think it's a waste if those experiences are not put to use.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 27 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postnecroslut, on 27 September 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

You don't think 3DR or George has learned anything from the development of DNF? I think it's a waste if those experiences are not put to use.

There's a big difference between learning how not to make a game and how to actually make a game properly. 3DRealms hasn't released a successful game internally created since Duke Nukem 3D (maybe shadow warrior? I'm too young to know how things were back then). In the mean time lots of other companies have gained loads of experience in how to make high quality games in a competitive modern market.

View PostMicky C, on 27 September 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

There's a big difference between learning how not to make a game and how to actually make a game properly. 3DRealms hasn't released a successful game internally created since Duke Nukem 3D (maybe shadow warrior? I'm too young to know how things were back then). In the mean time lots of other companies have gained loads of experience in how to make high quality games in a competitive modern market.

You don't think they've learned a bit of both? I find it completely unlikely that 3DR would let the same thing happen again. And "hasn't released a successful game internally created since Duke Nukem 3D" is not really fair when they have only released one game since then (as you don't count Shadow Warrior), and that was under very problematic and chaotic circumstances.
As for the other developers, 3DR and George being in or out of the game doesn't really affect them, their games are not being worse because of him, so I don't see how that is even relevant. You can still play their games, and I still won't.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Shadow Warrior was a flop. That's why Deadly Kiss was cancelled, Twin Dragon was released as freeware, and Wanton Destruction was shelved for years.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 27 September 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

Shadow Warrior was a flop. That's why Deadly Kiss was cancelled, Twin Dragon was released as freeware, and Wanton Destruction was shelved for years.

You got any numbers for that? I know that at least here it was really popular. A small country, though.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Sorry for the bump.

I just noticed that Earth No More is no longer listed under upcoming projects over at Gambitious. http://gambitious.co...ection=upcoming

This is pure speculation, but maybe they've arranged some kind of independent funding with Digital Devolver seeing there working on those 3DR steam re-releases. Or maybe Gambitious isn't a viable crowd-funding model or lacks the audience to pull off something as ambitious as Earth No More.

User is offline   X-Vector 

Or maybe Earth No More is no more.

User is offline   Kathy 

Good one, X-Vector!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options