• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Black Mesa 2012 media campaign

User is offline   ---- 

View PostLoke, on 15 September 2012 - 02:03 PM, said:

First time I accidentally ran past the silo and dived into the water and saw it banging at the silo even though I weren't on it.

Yep, I exactly did the same. RIght into the pool.

To my defense I didn't have a shower for 20 hours when I did that.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostBloodshot, on 15 September 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

Holy fuck,

***SPOILER***
The ambush at the end of Questionable Ethics on hard was one of the most fun battles I've ever had in any game. I died a lot on hard, but it actually forced me to use strategy, and the soundtrack for this part, which I avoided listening to so I didn't spoil it, was fucking great. and the Tau Cannon is SO GOD DAMN FUN TO USE.

Yeah, Hard difficulty had some really tough sections most notably those involving large amount of grunts in wide open spaces and the final section with the black ops (STOP FLIPPING AROUND YOU CUNTS). The final battle was also very difficult but it was mostly due to the sluggish framerate making it excessively hard to aim properly. Granted it's still a tough section since you can't rely on the Gluon Gun throughout the majority of the battle like in the original.

User is offline   Sangman 

Is it just me or do the soldiers completely rape my ass on Hard?

User is offline   Loke 

View PostSangman, on 16 September 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

Is it just me or do the soldiers completely rape my ass on Hard?

They're accurate as hell so I'm not surprised. I recommend sniping them from a distance with the .357 (usually takes two shots) or the crossbow. The shotgun's alt-fire is good up-close. Some parts are just really hard though (Questionable Ethics ending, Osprey fight etc.) and I don't have any good tips there except to just keep trying.

User is offline   LkMax 

After playing the mod I really can't see how much people found Xen "out of place". Half-Life is a game with some boring puzzles and a bit of action sometimes. Also, I always hated "Blast Pit" and can't see how people say as if there wasn't a LOT of jump puzzles trough all the game.

I'm honestly not enjoying the mod that much. I don't know if it's because I've been playing too much Doom recently and can't stand the linearity and boring puzzles or if I only liked Half-Life because it was new at the time (and had good graphics and animations) or if the mod isn't that well executed an the original is better... or if I'm just in a bad mood today.

The expanded maps are ok though.

View PostLkMax, on 16 September 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

After playing the mod I really can't see how much people found Xen "out of place". Half-Life is a game with some boring puzzles and a bit of action sometimes. Also, I always hated "Blast Pit" and can't see how people say as if there wasn't a LOT of jump puzzles trough all the game.

I'm honestly not enjoying the mod that much. I don't know if it's because I've been playing too much Doom recently and can't stand the linearity and boring puzzles or if I only liked Half-Life because it was new at the time (and had good graphics and animations) or if the mod isn't that well executed an the original is better... or if I'm just in a bad mood today.

The expanded maps are ok though.

I seriously don't know what you are talking about, this is one of the best mods i've played in years.
Maybe you should wait until your mood gets better

User is offline   Kathy 

Yeah, what gives, LkMax? How dare you have a different subjective opinion!

User is offline   LkMax 

It gets better after Blast Pit, but it's still an overrated game. =P (and yes, I was not in a good mood this morning).
So bad there's no Xen yet.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

One of the reasons I like Half-Life so much is because of the puzzles that make you think, and the traps. This is why I really disliked the "puzzle" parts in Half-Life 2, because they were just stupidly easy physics puzzles or incredibly obvious. I used to always make custom maps for Quake 1 way back, and while I was a lot worse then I was now I would always try to incorporate environmental traps into my levels. Personally I prefer the puzzles greatly to a "find the keycard" design.

I'm not sure what you mean about the linearity though, there are actually quite a bit of levels that have multiple paths you can take to get where you need to be.

View PostLoke, on 16 September 2012 - 03:29 AM, said:

Yeah, Hard difficulty had some really tough sections most notably those involving large amount of grunts in wide open spaces and the final section with the black ops (STOP FLIPPING AROUND YOU CUNTS). The final battle was also very difficult but it was mostly due to the sluggish framerate making it excessively hard to aim properly. Granted it's still a tough section since you can't rely on the Gluon Gun throughout the majority of the battle like in the original.

I actually carried every single bit of extra gluon ammo from the locker with me into the portal chamber so I could do that ;)

Also, here's a little tip and spoiler for the last battle:

The more you kill stuff the harder the battle becomes, so if you avoid the enemies, it's a lot easier

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 17 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostBloodshot, on 17 September 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

One of the reasons I like Half-Life so much is because of the puzzles that make you think

Either we've been playing different games or it doesn't take much to make you think :P :P

In Lambda Complex now myself... Difficult game, died quite a fair bit so far... but almost done now. I'm actually kinda glad it's so challenging compared to the original ;) Even if it does so in a slightly cheap way.

Compared to other games it does.

You wouldn't believe how many people get stuck at blast pit just because they don't read the words on the console for the rocket firing mechanism, or how people even get stuck at the elevator at the beginning because they think the game is "broken" because the elevator is unpowered.

I've seen plenty of people miss the most obvious things and I suppose that's why modern AAA FPS titles appeal to them so much, because all you have to do is walk forward and shoot.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 17 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostBloodshot, on 17 September 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

You wouldn't believe how many people get stuck at blast pit just because they don't read the words on the console for the rocket firing mechanism, or how people even get stuck at the elevator at the beginning because they think the game is "broken" because the elevator is unpowered.

Indeed I wouldn't ;) Seems to me like if you're able to put 2 and 2 together you should be able to play through Half Life with relative ease.

Anyway I just finished it... The Lambda Teleporter room was laggy as fuck which kindof ended the mod on a negative note for me. What a shame. Otherwise, fantasticly well done.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

The one part that almost had me completely stuck was the tower where you had to order an air strike on the gargantua because the air strike computer was rather buggy to use and on top of that made even harder by the gargantua shaking the tower. I think someone else here mentioned it. Also something must have failed to trigger or something as the tunnel he came out of looked like you could go back in but there was an invisible wall that only bocked your going back in and I was unable to order an air strike to destroy the tower I was suposed to as it seemed to break even further after I destroyed the gargantua.

One other thing that kind of bugged me was how in surface tension when you jump into the water near the dam the helicopter could easily shoot you through the water relentlessly especially after I have seen demonstrated that bullets should break up when they hit the surface and that bigger guns should really do bigger splashes but still break up at the surface. But I guess they where going more with movie style physics rather than real. ;)

As for the other puzzles I found them simple and intuitive enough and enjoyed them.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 17 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

Well for the Dam part, in case you noticed, there's a bunch of Tau Cannon ammo in the warehouse before you cross the Dam. You are supposed to use the Tau Cannon to scare the helicopter off.

Also,

User is offline   Tetsuo 

There's a lot of stuff I didn't remember from the first time I played through those areas in Half-Life back when it first came out and that's one of those things. I'll remember that for the next play-through I do though. ;)

View PostBloodshot, on 17 September 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Well for the Dam part, in case you noticed, there's a bunch of Tau Cannon ammo in the warehouse before you cross the Dam. You are supposed to use the Tau Cannon to scare the helicopter off.

Also,

Let me add I'll play this when Xen is released. my favorite chapter.

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 12 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

When I initially saw this screenshot, I thought that garbage bin is actually part of his lab coat as part of some decontamination protocol or something, lol...

View PostLunick, on 14 September 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

'They don't pay me enough at this damn facility'
Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 18 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 18 September 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

When I initially saw this screenshot, I thought that garbage bin is actually part of his lab coat as part of some decontamination protocol or something, lol...

That's what I thought too when I snapped the picture aha.
I also took this screenshot but it wasn't as funny:
Posted Image

I also like that there is more blood:
Posted Image

I really love that you can pickup things.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 18 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostBloodshot, on 17 September 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Also, here's a little tip and spoiler for the last battle:

The more you kill stuff the harder the battle becomes, so if you avoid the enemies, it's a lot easier

Yeah, great tip, thanks. I tried it again while ignoring most enemies and it was way easier, rather stupidly easy really. Strangely the framerate was way more stable this time around, still dipping to 30 but at least it was playable. Might've been the resolution, I don't know, but I ran through it now in 720p instead of my native resolution of 1080p.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Disk full. Dang. I guess this will have to wait. Maybe not that bad since I've played through HL: Source recently.

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostLeoD, on 18 September 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

Disk full. Dang. I guess this will have to wait. Maybe not that bad since I've played through HL: Source recently.

I'm just waiting for it to show up on Steam.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 19 September 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

I'm just waiting for it to show up on Steam.

You might wait till 2013 for that to happen or more haha.
Valve have said they won't include BM on steam until the game gets a shitload of it's bugs fixed and some extra polishing + the remaining chapter added to it.

What? Valve hasn't even contacted them yet.

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostBloodshot, on 19 September 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

What? Valve hasn't even contacted them yet.

What do you mean? They were greenlit. They already talked.

No, they were just greenlit. They even confirmed after they were greenlit that they hadn't received anything from Valve yet.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 19 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostMr.Deviance, on 19 September 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

You might wait till 2013 for that to happen or more haha.
Valve have said they won't include BM on steam until the game gets a shitload of it's bugs fixed and some extra polishing + the remaining chapter added to it.

Source ?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

BMS wasn't too bad. I'm not done with it yet, but I got through Residue processing and all that BS (Seriously, I hated that part of the game in the original, and I hated it here. GO AWAY CONVEYOR BELTS! ARGH!) , got to the lab and i'm now engaging Alien Grunts.

So far, my thoughts on this remake are... Not bad at all. The details are nice, the side rooms that have been added here and there are great, and the experience retains the atmospheric of the original.

I'm torn on the music. The new tracks are very very nice, but I found myself missing Bailey's awesome score for hte original half-life.

Just listen to that shit, man! It's a hard act to follow.

My only major complaints lie with the voice acting... I don't care for it. Some of it sounds simply like imitation and not actual acting. Which is bad. Particularly a lot of the lines early on. They just seem... To be reading the script from the game, without actually doing the acting part, or they simply didn't get the right emotion in the lines. I don't know. It just felt off. Particularly damning to me were the GRUNTS. Their VOX BOX was so much more menacing in the original. "WE-WILL-KICK-YOUR-ASS!" "Oh shit! - FREEMAN! Sir - FREEMAN - IS - HERE!" The rest of the mod sounds excellent. Fantastic ambient sound work throughout. From groaning metal, to the hum of electrical lights, to the moving of machinery.

I probably wont play the XEN portion whenever it comes out, because I hated XEN. It was a great concept, a great part of the story, but as a gameplay experience I wanted it to burn in Hell.

User is offline   Loke 

Made a comparison video a few days ago. Both of my HDD's are full of uncompressed FRAPS videos and I didn't even use half of them. ;)

I probably wont play the XEN portion whenever it comes out, because I hated XEN. It was a great concept, a great part of the story, but as a gameplay experience I wanted it to burn in Hell.

Apparently they're planning on giving the Xen levels (Xen, Gonarch's Lair, Interloper, Nihilanth) a complete overhaul so I'm eager to see what they can do.

Residue Processing is one of my favorite chapters because of the conveyer belts/trap avoidance. I love when there is traps in any game, like the spike-shooters in Quake 1, or the moving platforms and crushers. Same with the levels in Duke3D that have that stuff.

I like games that have that stuff a lot more then games where all you do is shoot things or the "traps" are really simple to avoid and do nothing.

And while not as good as Baileys work, I think Joel did pretty good. Some of it really fits, especially the song that plays after you kill the gargantua in Power Up (the eerie ass one) or the Anomalous Materials suit theme, and the We've Got Hostiles theme and especially Questionable Ethics 1. But all of Inbound, Anomalous Materials, Lambda Core and Power Up almost sound like they are straight out of Half-Life (QE1 does too, but more like something from Half-Life 2 Episode 2)

Some of it doesn't fit though, like Blast Pit 3, or Unforseen Consequences. But other then that, I'm surprised he did so good, especially considering like you said, that Bailey is a hard act to follow.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 22 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostLoke, on 22 September 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

Apparently they're planning on giving the Xen levels (Xen, Gonarch's Lair, Interloper, Nihilanth) a complete overhaul so I'm eager to see what they can do.

If the screenshots end up depicting floating nightmare death jumps then no. No thank you. If they move it closer to say, the Doom 3 Hell sections, then I might be reinterested.

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

View PostBloodshot, on 22 September 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

Residue Processing is one of my favorite chapters because of the conveyer belts/trap avoidance. I love when there is traps in any game, like the spike-shooters in Quake 1, or the moving platforms and crushers. Same with the levels in Duke3D that have that stuff.

I like games that have that stuff a lot more then games where all you do is shoot things or the "traps" are really simple to avoid and do nothing.

Oh, i'm not against traps or doing other things in games, most of Half-Life is actually very good for switching things up and keeping the pace changing. Int he original the two sections I just didn't care for were On A Rail and Residue Processing. The rest were great up until XEN. The Quake traps weren't whole sections of the game, either. You'd have nail shooters here and there, or death spikes that would act like a trash compactor, or shoot out of a wall, but it wasn't three or four levels back to back. They came and went fairly quickly. Different pace in Quake, too, not really a fair comparison. Half-Life was always a much slower paced and deliberately atmospheric game. RP just goes on and on, and drags for me. If you enjoy it though, i'm glad. Really. I just can't.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options