Duke4.net Forums: HYPERCORE: a code only mod - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HYPERCORE: a code only mod  "open alpha/beta feedback thread"

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostDeeperThought, on 19 February 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

I have not tested it with the HRP but it seems to me that the kamikaze trooper will look ridiculous that way, because it uses a frame of the trooper death animation. In the HRP, model animation is defined over each frame, so if you display any one frame from an animation sequence, it will display the entire sequence. So, I think the zombie trooper will look like a liztroop model repeatedly falling on his face instead of running at you.

Well I looked at what you intended with models off and that's way cooler. However, with models on it just displays the dead trooper laying face down scuttling along the ground, no animation just a single frame. It works game play wise to the same affect and may be just a bit more challenging because they can really sneak up you. It looks kinda like their tank is leaking and pushing them along.

One guys humble opinion. The drones are much too fast for me. I don't think I've killed one yet, just take the hit from them exploding and move on. Also, the viewscreens are almost dizzying, almost, they do fit the fast pace of everything else. I don't think many people spend much time looking at them anyways. I've been having lots of fun with this, I've gotten further into Duke with this mod than any other. Thanks.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'll see what I can do about slowing down the cameras and drones. I'm working on a big update today that should move this mod from being about 25% completed to about 50% completed.

• Duke Plus Developer

BUMP

BIG update today. I don't have time to write much about it, but I have added new enhanced firing modes for every weapon. You pick up coins to power it, then hold open and press fire to toggle the enhanced firing mode. Be sure to check out the one for the freezer, it's pretty hilarious.

I also changed/added other stuff. The download is attached to the first post.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostDeeperThought, on 24 February 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Be sure to check out the one for the freezer, it's pretty hilarious.

Pretty pretty hilarious, couldn't stop laughting when I used, very clever. This mod is a lot of fun, btw.

User is offline   m210® 

btw, e1m4 is impossible to finish (without cheats :lol: ), because shrinker-gun under red-card doesn't works.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostM210, on 24 February 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

btw, e1m4 is impossible to finish (without cheats :lol: ), because shrinker-gun under red-card doesn't works.

First post edited with bugfix. Also fixed bug with doubled up/down speed on jetpack and swimming.

On the shrinker shooter bug: For some reason, halving the GPSPEED was causing the shrinker to not fire at all. It makes no sense but I made an exception for shooters so it works now.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDeeperThought, on 24 February 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

You pick up coins to power it, then hold open and press fire to toggle the enhanced firing mode.

Sounds like DNWMD!

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 24 February 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Sounds like DNWMD!

Yeah, but DNWMD suffered from what I now regard as sophomoric over-complexity. There were different types of coins for different things (unnecessary) and some of the coins could only be seen when you were using the goggles (clever, but in the end kind of annoying). This is far far simpler. The coins are just a generic ammo for powering the hypermodes of the weapons, and that's it. Coins in games are just fun to pick up in general, and since the respawn marker graphics are perfect for that sort of thing, I felt it was time to use them.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Am I the only one who's not seeing an attachment in the first post?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 26 February 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

No, the attachment is gone.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 26 February 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Ooops, I deleted the attachment in order to replace it with an updated one, but then I forgot to click on "attach to post" after uploading the replacement. It's fixed now.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

A bit uncomfortable to play because of the speed; it literally makes me a bit nauseous. Probably best played in short bursts.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 26 February 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

A bit uncomfortable to play because of the speed; it literally makes me a bit nauseous. Probably best played in short bursts.

What exactly is making you nauseous? The player's movement should seem close to normal. I'm not trying to debate you, I want to know if there is some specific issue that could be fixed.

Very cool. But can you connect the 4 episodes so that we don't have to start over?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Recently finished Episode 1 on Come Get Some with this mod. Not too tough once I got the hang of it; I got into the habit of blowing up Lizard Trooper corpses with pipebombs to stop them from going kamikaze. It was interesting (and difficult) trying to get the Secret in E1L4 underwater in the wall beneath the two bridges that slam back and forth near the end of the level, because the bridges now move MUCH faster and you're much more likely to be crushed when you're trying to swim and get the secret. I think the Hyper shotgun mod is a bit overpowered, and the Hyper chaingun cannon is severely underpowered - in fact, I haven't figured out what the Hyper chaingun cannon is supposed to do. The first boss is a little bit of a pushover, since you just use steroids and pull out the Hyper Shotgun and go to town on him.

I would like to see a Hyper mighty boot that kicks slower but throws enemies across the room. :lol:

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 27 February 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

Recently finished Episode 1 on Come Get Some with this mod. Not too tough once I got the hang of it; I got into the habit of blowing up Lizard Trooper corpses with pipebombs to stop them from going kamikaze. It was interesting (and difficult) trying to get the Secret in E1L4 underwater in the wall beneath the two bridges that slam back and forth near the end of the level, because the bridges now move MUCH faster and you're much more likely to be crushed when you're trying to swim and get the secret. I think the Hyper shotgun mod is a bit overpowered, and the Hyper chaingun cannon is severely underpowered - in fact, I haven't figured out what the Hyper chaingun cannon is supposed to do. The first boss is a little bit of a pushover, since you just use steroids and pull out the Hyper Shotgun and go to town on him.

I would like to see a Hyper mighty boot that kicks slower but throws enemies across the room. :lol:

Glad to year that you like it. I agree that some tweaks need to be made.

Here is what the hypermode chaingun does: It fires two bullets per shot instead of one, and every bullet that hits an enemy makes an acid wound that continues to damage the enemy for about 10 seconds. You will not notice this if you are using it on enemies that you could kill quickly with the regular chaingun shots, but it should be noticeable on tougher enemies. I agree that it is not the best use of energy, though. I need to either make it more powerful, or make it use less energy.

The shotgun seems about right to me. I think it's the other weapons that need to be changed a bit. Keep in mind that I'm going to introduce some tougher enemy variants later on, so that extra power will be needed. Right now the most challenging thing about the mod is simply that the enemies are faster than normal. What I might do is reduce their speed to be closer to normal, but have some pal enemies that are faster, as well as some enemies with more hit points and different attacks (but nothing too outlandish).

That's unfortunate about the bridges. I have tried to make most sector effects move at what seems like a normal speed, by modifying GPSPEED and some tags at map load time. But I discovered that in some cases doing that would break maps, so I had to make exceptions. I will check to see if E1L4 is one of those exceptions, or is just a kind of case that I missed.

About the bosses: I do plan to make them more of a challenge, but I have to be careful because defeating them should not depend on having steroids or some other item that the player may not possess.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostDeeperThought, on 26 February 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

What exactly is making you nauseous? The player's movement should seem close to normal. I'm not trying to debate you, I want to know if there is some specific issue that could be fixed.

I'm not sure but it's gotta have something to do with the speed of the environment, or, rather, the speed difference between this mod and regular Duke3D. I had this same problem when my father bought a HDTV. I had gotten used to the standard 24 frames per second so the increased framerate was easily noticeable (strangely my father didn't notice it) and made me nauseous. Of course, this mod doesn't increase the game's framerate but the point is that the speed of almost everything is different from what you've gotten used to.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 27 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDeeperThought, on 27 February 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

That's unfortunate about the bridges. I have tried to make most sector effects move at what seems like a normal speed, by modifying GPSPEED and some tags at map load time. But I discovered that in some cases doing that would break maps, so I had to make exceptions. I will check to see if E1L4 is one of those exceptions, or is just a kind of case that I missed.

Technically they're oscillating two-way trains (SE 30), but they function as a bridge in this instance. It's not that huge of a deal as I'm still able to get the secret; it just takes a few tries.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 27 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 27 February 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

Technically they're oscillating two-way trains (SE 30), but they function as a bridge in this instance. It's not that huge of a deal as I'm still able to get the secret; it just takes a few tries.

That explains it, then. It is impossible to modify the speed of an SE30 in the map, so when my script doubles the game speed, the two-way trains will go twice as fast. I hope that doesn't make any maps impossible.

@Mikko: While the mod doesn't actually increase the number of rendered frames, it does double the number of times per second that objects in the game world are updated. In many cases that does make them effectively have a higher frame rate, which can be useful and is the main reason I like the increased speed.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

A couple of things I noticed:

Sometimes, the input wouldn't obey me and guns would "jam". Is this intended? I also noticed that when this happens, you seem to toggle the blinking/normal mode with the FIRE key.

About the blinking: it looks pretty bad with vsync off (which I prefer because the mouse feels more responsive). Have you tried changing pal 6 synced to game tics instead of from the drawing events? I think it would still look imperfect, though.

Finally, this code needs a check, since the nextsector might be -1:
getwall[hitwall].nextsector temp
ifvarvare sector[temp].floorz sector[temp].ceilingz setvar tempb 1

Otherwise, pretty good short-term fun!

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHelixhorned, on 29 February 2012 - 07:53 AM, said:

A couple of things I noticed:

Sometimes, the input wouldn't obey me and guns would "jam". Is this intended? I also noticed that when this happens, you seem to toggle the blinking/normal mode with the FIRE key.

That happens because you are pressing the OPEN key while trying to fire. Holding down the OPEN key and pressing fire is how you toggle the firing mode. Guns will not fire while OPEN is held down.

About the blinking: it looks pretty bad with vsync off (which I prefer because the mouse feels more responsive). Have you tried changing pal 6 synced to game tics instead of from the drawing events? I think it would still look imperfect, though.

Currently, it is pal 6 for one out of 4 game tics (totalcount is a proxy for player_par):
    ifvarg totalcount 3
    {
	    setvarvar temp totalcount
	    modvar temp 4
	    ifvare temp 0
	    setvar hud_pal 6
     }

So it is already synced to game tics, and I'm not sure what else I could do.

Finally, this code needs a check, since the nextsector might be -1:
getwall[hitwall].nextsector temp
ifvarvare sector[temp].floorz sector[temp].ceilingz setvar tempb 1

Otherwise, pretty good short-term fun!

That's true, although I noticed the other day that you fixed something in the source code related to that.

I'm working on a fairly big update now. The result will be interesting.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

That's true, although I noticed the other day that you fixed something in the source code related to that.

I'm working on a fairly big update now. The result will be interesting.

Well yeah. I fixed a bug in EDuke32, now it's your turn. In the future, error messages might be written out to the screen in an especially ugly font instead of to the log where they fall into oblivion :lol:.

Also, interesting to hear about the blinking frequency. I had estimated it to be much higher!

• Duke Plus Developer

BUMP

Updated first post with new version; lots of changes and improvement.

User is offline   Zaero 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 February 2012 - 08:18 AM, said:

The laser site was a spur of the moment feature. I was looking through the tiles and I noticed one labeled "LASERSITE" which AFAIK is not used in the game anywhere. It looked like it was intended as a laser site for the pistol, so I just whipped up some code for it and put it in the game.

Is there any chance this could be added to Duke Plus/Attrition? This thing is really good as Duke's pistol indeed does have the laser sight attached.

If so, could it be altered so that the red dot disappears during pistol's reloading?

This post has been edited by Zaero: 19 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostZaero, on 19 April 2012 - 05:16 AM, said:

Is there any chance this could be added to Duke Plus/Attrition? This thing is really good as Duke's pistol indeed does have the laser sight attached.

If so, could it be altered so that the red dot disappears during pistol's reloading?

I think I can even make it so that the laser site moves upward for a split second as the reloading starts, then disappears, then comes back down again as the reload finishes. But I cannot even begin to describe to you how tired I became of adding things to DukePlus over the years, and the thought of doing that right now almost makes me sick.

User is offline   Zaero 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 19 April 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

I think I can even make it so that the laser site moves upward for a split second as the reloading starts, then disappears, then comes back down again as the reload finishes. But I cannot even begin to describe to you how tired I became of adding things to DukePlus over the years, and the thought of doing that right now almost makes me sick.

Hehe, I see your point. :huh: All I can recommend then - be spontanous, do not "plan" to do it, just do it on some occasion, you've already did A LOT for the community (HUGE thanks for that!). <_<

It's possible to have a specific key to activate the "special fire mode" instead of space+fire ? It's a bit annoying to use...

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHeadless_Horseman_Rebirth, on 23 April 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

It's possible to have a specific key to activate the "special fire mode" instead of space+fire ? It's a bit annoying to use...

Ah, it's not so bad. The only time it's a problem is when you get to the top of an elevator, you use alt-fire but it makes the elevator go back down. And even then, you just have to remember to switch modes during the ride up, or take a step out of the elevator before switching.

The reason I did it that way is I don't want this mod to require any special setup. Also I made the rule that it only includes the GAME.CON file, so I can't include a cfg file that has a new key binding.

User is offline   Comreak 

The coins often disappear into or over walls and objects, or they fly somewhere where you can lose track of them. Would it be possible to have the coins automatically move towards Duke when he is near them, possibly through walls? Think something like the orbs in Ninja Gaiden (xbox) or Devil May Cry (if you've played either of those games). Alternatively, they could move towards him when you push the 'use' key.

• Duke Plus Developer

BUMP

I'm still working on other stuff, but I intend to develop this mod again. I have updated the first post with a new version that exposes a major feature: using the jetpack reverses gravity, effectively turning the world upside down.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options