• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The truth about Duke Reloaded

User is offline   ---- 

View PostHank, on 12 February 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Are you serious? Posted Image

I never read the license. But that is basically what I heard. The artists knew about this, though.

EDIT:
I could imagine that the artists would have released stuff to their portfolio already if that wasn't the case.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 12 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Do you have a copy of the license? or are you not allowed to release that?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostReaperMan, on 12 February 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

Do you have a copy of the license? or are you not allowed to release that?

No. I have never seen it.

Well thats bullshit, everyone working on DNR should of been given a copy of the license to know what they were dealing with.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostReaperMan, on 12 February 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

Well thats bullshit, everyone working on DNR should of been given a copy of the license to know what they were dealing with.

AFAIK there was an agreement that included the important terms the members had to agree with. So, they were not working without knowing what is up.

Also I (not being a dev) had to sign an agreement.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 12 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

User is offline   Arwu 

They should rework all arts and everything and then shit down the gearbox neck . . they thinks only about money. Make money, more money! Still not much ! ! Maybe they thinking they never die and collect money for next 400 years . . Stupid people, really. :D I want end of the world now. . :D

User is offline   Lunick 

inb4 Gearbox asks the topic to be removed.

This post has been edited by Lunick: 12 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostArwu, on 12 February 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

I do not know much but why DNR developers cant change title and change appearance of Duke etc. just to pass over licence ? or maybe game engine is also under licence ?

View Postfuegerstef, on 12 February 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

Basically everything created for that project is owned by Gearbox.

I thought it was built of Unreal Engine 3 using the UDK, isn't that free to use and release projects on as long as you don't profit from it?

Edit: yep, just checked out the licence, which has this to say:

The UDK is also FREE for non-commercial use. Feel free to use the UDK to make any application (game or otherwise) for free distribution. No additional license (beyond the EULA) is required. Just go for it.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 12 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostMicky C, on 12 February 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

I thought it was built of Unreal Engine 3 using the UDK, isn't that free to use and release projects on as long as you don't profit from it?

Yeah, but they have to abide by the GBX license too.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostHank, on 12 February 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

Are you serious? Posted Image

This is standard practice. Since Gearbox already owns it, Gearbox cannot be sued for 'stealing' or 'copying' the content. 3DR used to have such a clause on their forums, concerning artwork in the HRP and ideas for DNF, among other things. It's a Cover Your Own Ass thing. Conversely, Gearbox could sue Interceptor/the leak for releasing the content without permission.

View PostMicky C, on 12 February 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Edit: yep, just checked out the licence, which has this to say:

That's a license for the Engine, not the Duke IP. Since all those assets were created under license for the Duke IP, the UE3 UDK license is irrelevant in this case.

This post has been edited by Wolfe: 12 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I missed this. There's nothing on the website now. Anyone have a backup of what it said?

Hmm... sad that it's down. Here's a copy, hopefully Yatta isn't forced to delete this too. It was fresch's fourth blog post in a series, I don't have the earlier ones:

In this fourth part, I will shred light on what “Really” happened, with Duke Nukem Reloaded. The journey to U.S.A was very interesting, but the result of the Gearbox presentation, was not exactly as expected. We didn’t get a clear answer of what was going to happen with Duke Nukem Reloaded, or what we were going to do next.

When I came back to Denmark, I had a meeting with my team. We quickly made a decision, that we wanted to continue working on the project.
After all, Gearbox were very impressed. So of course the future of Reloaded was secure. Right?

Unfortunately, we were wrong.

A couple of months went, and I had a very hard time communicating with Gearbox. We wanted to get an answer. What was going to happen with the project?
I didnt want my team to keep working on a project, which future wasn’t secure. Once every second week, I reached out for my contact at Gearbox Software, and addressed how important it was to get a conclusion. I had a 30+ man team, standing by.

Every time i would get the same answer:

You will get more info in a week

After the first DNF DLC, we will focus on Duke Reloaded

We will get back to you guys after all 3 DNF DLC packs have been released

After waiting almost 3 months for a definite answer, we were tired of waiting and pushing for an answer.

Gearbox have 100% control over everything related to Duke Nukem. Without their “GO” or a license, you are not allowed to create anything related to Duke Nukem. Gearbox owned everything related to Reloaded, from a legal perspective. So without a definite decision from their part, we couldn’t do anything but wait.

Finally I got a call from Gearbox Software in September. Both Adam Fletcher and their Legal Counsel was participating in the call. I was quite surprised to finally hear from Gearbox Software. And I was looking extremely much forward to an answer of what was going to happen with reloaded.

Unfortunately, the result of the conversation, was not what we were hoping for.

Gearbox Software, told us that Duke Reloaded, had been getting too much attention from the press and the fans.
We were required to pull all media related to Reloaded, from our website and Facebook. We were also told, not to talk about it anymore.

So my primary question was the following: What are we supposed to do now? Just cancel the project? Are you even going to allow us to release it sometime?

I could in NO WAY justify having my team spend so much time on a project like this – Even working full time – On creating what many thought was an even better game than Duke Forever - Without knowing if it was ever going to see the light of the day.

So i asked them one simple question:

Answer me honestly – Were you ever going to plan on letting us release or share media from Reloaded?

The answer i got was shocking:

We can’t give you an answer to that. Ofcourse you can keep working on it, if you want to. But we can’t tell you if we will allow the game to be released.

I did the only reasonable thing i could do, and told them the following:

You know – I have spent a year in total on this project. Ever single day, working full time. For free. And so have most of my team members. I have spent my life savings on this project.
I can in NO way justify having them continue working on this project, if you don’t want to see it getting released. So I’m afraid i have to put the project on hold, until you can give us a definite answer.

Last but not least, I wanted to tell the fans the story of what really happened. I could do that, as long as I made sure it didn’t sound like this was Gearbox’s decision. And yes – Sure it was our own decision to put it on hold. But we were in a position where we were forced to do it.

The following day we wanted to post the news on our website. Gearbox Software wanted to read proof the message, to make sure it didn’t send a bad signal.
I got a message by email, which I was going to post on our website:

After careful consideration of the progress and direction of the project, Interceptor Entertainment has decided to finish Duke Nukem: Reloaded at a future date that is yet to be determined.

Interceptor Entertainment still has the good will and non commercial license provided to us to use the Duke Nukem brand for our creative ambitions. We hope to resume that work again when the time is right.

In the interim, please know that the praise and support we received for our efforts has been both overwhelming and appreciated. Interceptor Entertainment looks forward to revisiting the DNR project in the future, along with several other new, creative pursuits. Our fans can rest assured: We are going to focus our efforts on exciting endeavors and we welcome the challenges that await us!

With sincere gratitude to our fans for their incredible support,
Interceptor Entertainment

And that was the end of the Duke Nukem Reloaded project.

So what happened next? The following months everything changed drastically. A lot of amazing things happened, which put us in a much better position, than when were working with Gearbox. Today we are an established studio, working on 2 commercial AAA titles, and things have never been better.

Check out the last and final part of the story, in the next blog!

This post has been edited by EliasCamber: 12 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostArwu, on 12 February 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

I do not know much but why DNR developers cant change title and change appearance of Duke etc. just to pass over licence ? or maybe game engine is also under licence ?

Even if they did, it would just be another faceless shooter.

• The Sarien Encounter

Actually, I found all four parts in Google cache. It alludes to a final conclusion part as well, though, which I can't find. Is that anywhere?

Anyway, this is all horrendous. I never thought that they would actually feel threatened by the remake being better than what they did enough to give them the cold shoulder over it. It just goes to show they don't care about the fans. If I wasn't already, I'm definitely done with Gearbox. Honestly, if I had read this before getting the DNF DLC, I wouldn't have gotten it.

Weird how his blog is down now. Did GBX tell him to delete that too for fear of looking like the bad guy yet again? I've said it before and I'll say it again..Randy Dickford gives two shits about the fans. After having met him in person, you could just tell that this guy didn't care at all about the Duke IP. He was much more excited for Aliens Colonial Marines than Duke. He barely made any mention of Duke and when any fan asked him a question, he would just ignore them. Fuck GBX, and fuck Fresch for his bullshit hype train that went nowhere.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 12 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

User is offline   BugsBunny 

Poor Fresch. Gearbox and their lawyers have now most probably threatened and scared him to remove the page once their dodgy side has been blown open by him. Surely after this I should not support Gearbox.

• The Sarien Encounter

Kinda makes you wonder about the details of the acquisition of the Duke IP and what rules 3DR and co potentially had to abide by regarding public statements during the whole fiasco. Maybe even now. I don't know, I would never have thought that before but then I would have never expected Gearbox's reaction to actually go this way either. Anything's possible. It's a business world over there clearly. One thing's for sure, I sure don't trust the phrase "We didn't buy Duke Nukem, they sold it to us" at face value anymore.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 February 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

Actually, I found all four parts in Google cache. It alludes to a final conclusion part as well, though, which I can't find. Is that anywhere?

Nope, fresch hadn't yet posted it by the time he took the blog down.

Totally agree with the increasing disappointment and resentment with both GBX's attitude toward the fans and their rampant censorship of any criticism. Funny how all of Gearbox's apparent goodwill toward Duke fans dissipated as soon as the negative reviews of DNF started rolling in. I know feelings toward GBX here were fairly negative (because of issues such as not releasing mod tools), but I was hoping most of that was due to 2K's interventions and wasn't GBX's fault. But the responsibility for properly handling the relationship with Interceptor falls squarely in GBX's lap; it can't really be blamed on 2K.

This post has been edited by EliasCamber: 12 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

And who knows? Maybe when EDuke32 starts to look better than DNF or anything else GBX does Duke related, they'll shut that down too.

User is offline   Kathy 

If only Gearbox cared about this project as much as they care about supressing any info about it...

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 February 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

And who knows? Maybe when EDuke32 starts to look better than DNF or anything else GBX does Duke related, they'll shut that down too.

They legally can't do shit.

This post has been edited by Helel: 12 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

I believe 3DR still has control of Duke 3D anyway.

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostReaperMan, on 12 February 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

I believe 3DR still has control of Duke 3D anyway.

3D belongs to 3DR and every Duke release prior to DNF belongs to whoever made them. GBX has control of DNF and all DN products from here on out, but they have no control over anything pre-DNF.

User is offline   JohnClay 

I'm glad that Fresch basically finished off his story but I was surprised to see it get taken down (along with all his other blogs) and how some people got banned on the gearbox forums.
The gearbox forums were open for a while to criticism against gearbox but then they suddenly put their foot down again and instead of just locking threads they even deleted some this time. Apparently you can't even say something "negative" against gearbox and the affiliates.
Gearbox did add a FOV setting and the ability to carry 4 weapons into the game but they took away the ability to use console commands. Why did they do that!?!

This post has been edited by JohnClay: 13 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostEliasCamber, on 12 February 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

But the responsibility for properly handling the relationship with Interceptor falls squarely in GBX's lap; it can't really be blamed on 2K.

http://www.facebook....172078536147258
look at the Interceptor's facebook, and the dates.
Just when Interceptor has the chance to go commercial Gearbox decided to 'hinder' Duke Nukem Reloded? What a coincidence.
I actually hope this thread does not get deleted or your post. Interceptor has a Big surprise in 2012 in store for us (as per the facebook entry). Meanwhile fresch is riding on Duke's fame to get prime press clippings. One could learn PR from fresch, I do give him credit for having a knack to gain sympathy from the public.

This post has been edited by Hank: 13 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 12 February 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

That would be more the case for the HRP. EDuke32 by all means should be in the clear since as a work of source code it is completely enveloped by its licenses, BUILDLIC and the GPLv2. While 3D Realms gave permission for the HRP and we have the license to protect it, I see it as more vulnerable.

View PostHank, on 13 February 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

....One could learn PR from fresch, I do give him credit for having a knack to gain sympathy from the public.

I don't think he's doing such a good job at the moment now that he's been silenced including him removing his entire blog...
Also in the past he didn't get much support for his Daikatana remake...
http://www.moddb.com...aikatana-remake
I think he's a bit too ambitious.... the original Daikatana was like four games in one... and he wants to add heaps of extra detail...
The latest update from his Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded website (which he still has as his signature on the Gearbox forums)
http://www.dukenukemreloaded.com/
is the 24th of September...
The "donate" button is gone though, and he got nearly $3000 in donations I think....
I think they should use the Unreal Engine 3 to create an iOS game (iPad/etc) for casual players rather than his plan to make a "AAA" title like "Pathfinder".

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostHank, on 13 February 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

I actually hope this thread does not get deleted or your post.

Hope? Gearbox has no right to ask to remove anything from this thread. If it does get deleted then these forums are bullshit.

Fresch's site where the blog was said that he owned the copyright... I wonder if he could use the copyright he "owns" to get his quotes removed...?
BTW I was looking at the forums for DNR/Interceptor...
http://www.intercept...ment.com/forum/
The most recent post there is from Dec 19.... there are about 5000 posts still there though.

There is still a page for DNR on wikipedia....
http://en.wikipedia....em_3D:_Reloaded

User is offline   Green 

To clarify, this thread will not be removed nor will any posts this thread contains.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options