Duke4.net Forums: [RESOURCES] Community Stockpile - Duke4.net Forums

• 39 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RESOURCES] Community Stockpile  "Free to use resources for mappers and modders."

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to sharing with the community. You're free to post any sort of resource ya want, textures, sprites, 8-bit, 32-bit, models, voxels, sounds, code, and whatever else are welcome here. I'm not big on rules, but some guidelines are nice:

• You may package things into a zip, but posting the image(s) or a preview directly to the thread let's everyone get a good look at it
  • This thread is not a 'museum', when you post your work it's understood that other people are going to use it.
  • On the other side of the coin, it is very disrespectful to use anything posted here without giving credit.
  • It's also disrespectful to base your work off of someone else's work without giving them credit.
  • Posting other people's work is not acceptable, unless they've given express permission for anyone to use it/spread it as they please. In this case, you still need to provide credit.

-Art:
  • 8-bit art should be in a lossless format, indexed to 256 colors in Duke 3D's palette. Preferably .PNG or .GIF.
  • 32-bit art should in a lossless format, preferably .PNG.
  • Resources may be posted in a sprite sheet format. Sprite sheets can be split up with programs like Spricer.
  • imgur is a good image sharing service that won't convert images to a lossy format.
  • Poorly converted rips from other games aren't really welcome, but edits and well done conversions are fine.
  • NSFW material (that is acceptable under the Forum Guidelines) should be hidden in a spoiler and marked as such. Some people browse at work!

-Sounds/Music
  • Sounds should be posted in a compatible .WAV or .FLAC format if at all possible. .VOCs and .OGGs are acceptable, but it's silly to downgrade from .WAV/.FLAC if you have it.
  • Music should, of course, be posted in either .FLAC or .MID, or .OGG if that's all you have.

Index of Posts with Content:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Ripper ammo as it appears in the manual / small Ripper ammo pick ups

Posted Image

RPG pickup with proper handle.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Assorted Bimbos

Posted Image

Devastator 'dry fire'

Posted Image

Cleaned up extra Pipebomb animation from LameDuke

Credit: James Manning (Captain Awesome), Wally Waffles [first small ripper ammo tile], & 3D Realms

This post has been edited by Wolfe: 12 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Posted Image Posted Image
Cleaned up art of the scrapped Pig Cop butting animation.
Credit: James Manning (Captain Awesome) & 3D Realms

I'll try to post some more tomorrow or maybe even tonight, but I think this is a nice kick off. :D

This post has been edited by Wolfe: 12 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I like the idea of having a thread dedicated to sprites and textures for the community. It could be useful.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 11 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

User is offline   Hank 

The RPG will be used! Besides 'Done by Me and 3DRealms', how do you want to be credited? Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

"James Manning (Captain Awesome)" is probably the best way.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Here's some city variants for everybody:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Credit: James Manning (Captain Awesome) & 3D Realms

This post has been edited by Wolfe: 12 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Doubelpoasten because of image limit.

Posted Image Posted Image

Credit: James Manning (Captain Awesome), quakis [on the last three tiles], & 3D Realms

This post has been edited by Wolfe: 12 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Damn, those building textures should've been in the original! Those are exactly the kind of city textures mappers could have used. Too bad there's no easy way to integrate new textures into Duke3D maps.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Thanks! Yeah, there really wasn't enough variety. I've always found myself importing/making new city textures.

User is offline   sedition 

Is this all about 8bit textures or is posting Hires-content also allowed?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 13 February 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

Damn, those building textures should've been in the original! Those are exactly the kind of city textures mappers could have used. Too bad there's no easy way to integrate new textures into Duke3D maps.

Well, nowadays you could just throw the map in its own directory with a .def file and use tilefromtexture to inject 8-bit tiles into the game. It's not as easy as bundling the actual texture data within the map file like with Quake, but it's not much work either.

Maybe what we need is per-map .def files that get parsed at map load time...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I don't think Mikko was saying that it's too hard to use custom textures. I think he was saying that it would have been nice to have these textures in the old days when the game was popular and people were making a lot of maps. No amount of .def file magic can allow us to go back in time. :D

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

No, I was referring to the hassle of having to include a separate file if you wish to use a few custom textures. There are lots of good custom art sets for Duke but hardly anyone uses them. Compare this to Quake (and its offshoots) or even Doom where custom art assets are used far more frequently.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postsedition, on 14 February 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

Is this all about 8bit textures or is posting Hires-content also allowed?

C'mon man, you didn't even read the first post in this thread.

View PostTX, on 14 February 2012 - 12:09 PM, said:

Maybe what we need is per-map .def files that get parsed at map load time...

That's a great idea!!!

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 14 February 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

No, I was referring to the hassle of having to include a separate file if you wish to use a few custom textures. There are lots of good custom art sets for Duke but hardly anyone uses them. Compare this to Quake (and its offshoots) or even Doom where custom art assets are used far more frequently.

I actually got the idea from Doom, specifically the ZDoom forums where there is a whole forum dedicated to resources like this.

Overall, I think good new art (even if it's stuff you've seen in other maps/mods) can make a map so much better. Highwire's work and maps like Traffic Jam stick out in my mind because of their great art direction.

This post has been edited by Wolfe: 14 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

These looks really great. Some clever editing :D

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

Could the stuff we gather here be uploaded to this site?

I mean this:
http://www.duke4.net/page.php?72#

The last couple of links look like a perfect place for all this...

User is offline   Hank 

View PostWolfe, on 14 February 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

I actually got the idea from Doom, specifically the ZDoom forums where there is a whole forum dedicated to resources like this.

Overall, I think good new art (even if it's stuff you've seen in other maps/mods) can make a map so much better. Highwire's work and maps like Traffic Jam stick out in my mind because of their great art direction.

Yep, plus you can use DukeRes or other programs to make .art tiles.

b.t.w. so far I took all your stuff and put it in my .art files. Thanks. Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postchicken, on 14 February 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Could the stuff we gather here be uploaded to this site?

I mean this:
http://www.duke4.net/page.php?72#

The last couple of links look like a perfect place for all this...

Sounds fine to me, as long as whoever gets credit for it. I didn't even know that section was there, but that's great! Hopefully we can fill that up. Wish some other people had some stuff to contribute! But, I'll keep plugging away to get everybody started maybe.

Here's updated vials from the Duke It Out In DC addon. I tried to make as many color variants as I could, but it's easy to make more for the last two, but the amount of variants you could do are astronomical.
Posted Image(ZIP of separated sprites)
Credit: James Manning (Captain Awesome) & Sunstorm Interactive

This post has been edited by Wolfe: 14 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Well, i guess ill put these up here. I already gave them to James, but every one is free to use them.
These are some of the ROTT voxels i made a while back converted to Duke 3d's palette. It contains a tnt box, pistol, mp40, food, stool, fence, and the triad flag.
http://www.mediafire...d7rdp6z6x8pebdq

As for custom art related stuff, would like to see an easier way to change Duke 3D's palette as well as TX's .def file idea if that is at all possible.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 20 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

Very cool. I was actually hoping a thread like this would pop up. Thanks!

I wonder if I should show mine.... Maybe I shouldn't. It's already on my forum anyways.

Put them up. (as long as it isn't you NSFW art :D )

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 14 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 14 February 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

I wonder if I should show mine.... Maybe I shouldn't. It's already on my forum anyways.

They surely deserve their own thread ... because they need the NSFW warning in the title :lol: .

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Nah, it'd be stupid to create a separate thread when this one is precisely for the intended purpose.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

They actually have their own thread already which I wouldn't mind being moved here.

User is offline   sedition 

View PostWolfe, on 14 February 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

C'mon man, you didn't even read the first post in this thread.

Ah, damn, I missed the second sentence. :lol: Sorry for that!

User is offline   Cage 

Alien growth - transparent png with a drop shadow, for copypasta :lol:
Posted Image

Beta mod resources (more accessible than .art files)

Beta keycard
Posted Image

Ripper
Posted Image

Flamer/lazer/whatever
Posted Image

Shoulder mounted RPG
Posted Image

Lameduke drone:
Posted Image

Human trooper
Posted Image

Textures (All except the stuff I remember being a straight conversion from lameduke)
Posted Image

Warping water
Posted Image

This thread is brilliant, I'll likely use some of these in my upcoming project. Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute, but I may modify that freezer art as I think the indicator used to go blue... Oh, wait! I do have something, not sure I should hand it out as it's from what I am working on, but meh, it's not really my property I guess;

Space Suit overlay (The original was likely just half of this with a mirrored version on the other side of the screen - you can edit it yourself or ask me to do it for you if you want it like that. The dimensions are actually 321 x 201 to fix the 1px gap around it when used with rotatesprite.
Attached Image: spsuit00.PNG

Space Suit Glass, presumably you will use this with "rotatesprite" so remember to set the orientation so it has the correct transparency. This is based on the scuba gear glass from Blood.
Attached Image: spsuit05.PNG

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Awesome stuff, Cage. I was hoping you'd post something, you always have cool stuff.

HighTreason, that looks like a nice rip.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I believe I made the transparent glass... funny that I made quite a lazy work based on a screenshot (all I wanted was to test it in 0.99) but everyone is still using it. :lol:

View PostCage, on 15 February 2012 - 03:27 AM, said:

Textures (All except the stuff I remember being a straight conversion from lameduke)
Posted Image

Me likes.

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options