Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] MINI MAP PACK - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] MINI MAP PACK  "A collection of ten maps made in 90 minutes each one."

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

This pack is a compilation of 10 maps for Duke Nukem 3D made by the following people:

First Part:

Arwu
Loke
Michael Crisp (Micky C)
Mike Norvak
Mikko Sandt
Paul "High Treason" Monteray
SuperTanker
The Mighty Bison

Second Part:

6 Hours map by Gambini

Made in late january/early february according to the following rules:

>Use the lesser time as possible to make it. From 30 minutes to 1 hour and a half as max limit (including testing in-game).
>The map must be Single player (you can implement dm if you want) or even make a dm styled map and give it sp gameplay.
>The map must be fully playable (monsters, weapons, items, functional effects) with ending(s) (Nukebutton / Boss ending/ End of level sector)
>It could be a boss map
>You can use Classic/Polymost/Polymer/TROR/HRP there's no restriction on that. Just use the original atomic duke tileset.
>You must use Vanilla Duke without and any mod.
>There's no limit for maps by person
>Don't cheat! Use a timer if you want.

And that's basically how these maps came about. Enjoy!

SHOTS:

Attached Image: capt0000.jpg

Attached Image: duke0013.jpg

Attached Image: duke0012.jpg

Attached Image: mapster322012-01-3112-39-54-89.jpg

Attached Image: eduke322012-02-0619-24-34-72.png

Attached Image: speedcty.jpg

Attached Image: camg.jpg

Attached Image: duke0016.jpg

Attached Image: duke0025.jpg

Attached Image: duke0020.png

DOWNLOAD:

PACK 1: Attached File  mini map pack.zip (3.16MB)
Number of downloads: 462

PACK 2:

GAMBINI'S: Attached File  2hoursmyballs.rar (20.8K)
Number of downloads: 259

This post has been edited by Norvak: 17 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Hell, just for the sake of it, I'll do one of those maps tonight. Does it have to be single player?

User is offline   Mia Max 

Must be there enemies + an ending?

• Music Producer

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 30 January 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Hell, just for the sake of it, I'll do one of those maps tonight. Does it have to be single player?

I think so. Since a dukematch map would be easy to finish on the time given, anyway you can make a DM styled map and give it SP gameplay I think.

View PostMia Max, on 30 January 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

I've added some specs in the first post

This post has been edited by Norvak: 30 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   Mia Max 

Okay, I will make an one hour map tomorrow.

I like the idea. Maybe a good way to learn more about mapping, looking for ideas and of course stealing some from this thread :D

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostSupertanker, on 29 January 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

For the record, I got curious as to what an exact half hour of mapping is like. Here is what a near exact half-hour of Supertanker-style mapping is like. It's harder than I thought. Enjoy. (Reminds me a lot of my early maps.)

View PostNorvak, on 30 January 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Another thread give me the idea to make a 1-hour map. Maybe some one else want to post his work, or maybe not, anyway here're the "rules"
So here's my shitty map:

Thank you, guys! Why not doing this on a weekly/monthly base? :D
As a player I don't ask for pushing the limits with each new release....

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on 30 January 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

Yes!

View PostMia Max, on 30 January 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Yes!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

This is a great idea. I don't have the inspiration to work on a full proper map for the time being, so something like this is a good in-between project. Now I just need to draw up enough inspiration for an hour of mapping... this could still be hard. I'll probably waste half the time thinking "now what should I put in this room?" Posted Image

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMicky C, on 30 January 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I'll probably waste half the time thinking "now what should I put in this room?" Posted Image

Then don't make a room but an outside area. :D
What about a waste dump? Good place for not so good ideas, too. :D

I'll give it a shot when I get a chance (I'm already working on 3 projects at once) and to prove I am not cheating I shall record my progress... Umm... I noticed a technicality that I hope to make the best map by exploiting.

• Honored Donor

Then don't make a room but an outside area.:D
What about a waste dump? Good place for not so good ideas, too.:D

Then I'll be thinking "now what can I put in this dump?" I'm truly horrible with inspiration. I'm still amazed I managed to pull off as much as I did in the TROR CBP. I'll have to spend a while thinking about the theme, then maybe sketch a layout before actually starting it (I hope that time doesn't count as the 1 & 1/2 hours Posted Image)

Edit: @ High Treason: I'm sure you don't need to record your progress to prove anything. This is a very trust based exercise, so unless you make something that matches It Lives in detail I don't think you're going to raise any eyebrows.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 30 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

Recording it sounds cool. Cut out most frames and make a speed mapping video. Come to think of it I have seen one before......

Ya, check out this vid by Davox.

• Honored Donor

I've spent 1 hour and 7 minutes making some random outdoor area, which means I've only got 20 minutes to add gameplay Posted Image

On the plus side, it's 3 times bigger than norvak's map, but given its roundness and amount of gameplay to add respectively, I'm not sure that's such a good thing. I'll take a break and think about how I'm going to stretch out the length of gameplay.

That was a fun map Norvak. Even though it was short and was done in very little time, it didn't feel empty at all. Fun gameplay too :D

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

BTW, any news about the 20 Sector Challenge?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Why not just start another 2-hour community build project?

• Music Producer

View PostLeoD, on 30 January 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

BTW, any news about the 20 Sector Challenge?

FUCK!!! I had forgotten about that map, it is supposed I was going to add some stuff to finish it, since nobody show interest (except Micky C :D) There aren't many things left to do but some of they are a bit complicated. It needs to setting up a coherent gameplay also and some screens telling the story about the runes as well as some advices about how to continue. It worths to finish it (obviously it can't be finished in one hour :D)

This post has been edited by Norvak: 30 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Let me say up front, my hour and a half map is embarrasingly bad, but I just HAD to try. I have always been a very slow mapper so this was a massive challenge for me. I should have concentrated on making it smaller,but live and learn. It was fun.

Also, in all the projects of my own and other ones I have helped with I have never placed enemies or ammo so this was a first. Believe me, it shows. :D Time constraints didn't help the cause either. I had about 5 minutes to place them in right at the very end of the time limit. I spent too much time in the area with the tower and a lot of trees and ran short to finish the rest. And I should not have wasted precious time putting in the Polymer lights. Doors are just sprites to walk through.

Gameplay enjoyment and challenge is probably close to zero. Many unaligned or mis-shaded sectors and walls. A couple of areas I didn't have time to finish. And a Nuke Button that doesn't work to end the game because I never used one before and didn't have time to look up how to make it work. A real classic for the ages.

It has very little and unimportant Polymer lighting so it can be played with or without.

So there. I have lowered the bar for quality. Now the rest of you don't have to worry about the results of your map. I dare anyone to do worse. :D

ADDED: The only reason I even able to do this much was because I had the idea for this map in my head as a small DM map some day. This contest forced me to try it out early.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Marked: 30 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

User is offline   Arwu 

Hey ^^ thats fun idea. Later I try to do something in this time limit just to keep fun of this thread :D

umm.. And this "20 sector challenge" is still in progress :D ? if yes where I found it ?

This post has been edited by Arwu: 30 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

I think this was the map Norvak was referring to. :D

http://supertanker.duke4.net/L1_hi.map

http://img443.images...05/capt0000.jpg

Took me a little less than 30 minutes. (Started at 10:34PM, ended at 11:00PM on the dot.)

• Music Producer

@ Marked. The map has some potential, maybe if you focus on the main area and get rid of another more. BTW there's some blank textures did you used extra art? Oh and you need to give a Lotag of -1 to the NukeButton.

EDIT: Supertanker map added to first post

This post has been edited by Norvak: 30 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

User is offline   Mark 

OOPS. I used my custom Eduke folder to create the map and I thought I used all regular textures. I guess not.

• Honored Donor

Ok I finished the map, it took the full 1.5 hours to do. I tried to make the gameplay as complicated as I could but in the end it was a rush job and mostly just shooting things. The map is called Micky's Quickie, and should take 4-5 minutes to finish if you plan to kill everything. It's designed for the HRP, and polymer is recommended mainly because you'd want to know when you've hit the switches. Although there's a funny mirror bug where the skybox shrinks away in half of the mirror that doesn't happen in polymost. If plagman is reading this hopefully he can check it out. Hint for playing: you don't want to kill the commanders right away.

Edit: oh and I forgot to mention, there's a story! Duke crash lands his helicopter in a large open area in the mountains, and to add to his misfortune, an alien reactor in the same area is about to explode! So it's up to Duke to kill all the aliens and get out of there before that happens.

Posted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 30 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Great quicky Micky. It was good for me too. :D

I had to cheat to shrink.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I wasn't able to get around to it tonight, but I'll work on it tomorrow. So far, I'm three minutes in and I have 11 sectors, 74 walls, and 0 sprites. Posted Image

• Music Producer

I've added Micky's map. It took me about 10 minutes
Spoiler
it's a funny and good looking map, but I think there's some scarcity of health.

Also I've added a new map I made :D Is a puzzle oriented map, I wonder how many time is necesary to finish it.

Attached Image: duke0013.jpg

• Honored Donor

Since everybody's making all these micro maps, why not do what Forge suggested and start another proper CBP?

Sure, I'm game! ANy theme?

Ooh, ooh! Space station or city! OR BOTH. A SPACE CITY!

• Music Producer

Yeah a space city sounds good, I'm in. Anyway there's room for many themes not only city or space :D

EDIT: And what will be the limits / rules? the 2 hour formula worked very well in the previous CBP as Forge pointed out.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 30 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

• Honored Donor

Someone ought to make a new thread for the 2 hour CBP if there's going to be one, since we don't want to clog up this thread, which is dedicated to the individual, seperate mini maps. Maybe at CGS? Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 30 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

• Music Producer

View PostMicky C, on 30 January 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

Maybe at CGS? Posted Image

I was going to say that... :D

View Postrasmus thorup, on 30 January 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

That was a fun map Norvak. Even though it was short and was done in very little time, it didn't feel empty at all. Fun gameplay too :D

Thanks, Was it any hard?

View PostMarked, on 30 January 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

OOPS. I used my custom Eduke folder to create the map and I thought I used all regular textures. I guess not.

I don't see any reason for not fix it and adding that Nukebutton.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 30 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options