Duke4.net Forums: Announcing mod (WIP) : DUKE NUKEM AGAIN - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Announcing mod (WIP) : DUKE NUKEM AGAIN

Hi guys...

Somebody will remember me when I was on 3drealms forum. I'm RichardStorm, from Italy, now 22 y.o., engineering student and Duke fan since 1998 when i played the game for the first time; I discovered duke mods and eduke32 port only in 2006, but i soon started to learn CON language and improve my modding skills in this years, developing many features and making the base for first big duke modding project. Obviously I've played many of the better duke mods, taking inspiration and seeing what is possible with Eduke and what is not.

So here it is:

DUKE NUKEM AGAIN (or DN-Again shortly)

As the name can suggest, aliens are returned, and it's *basically* a new story, set after the fight with the queen, about one year later. I plan to do about 20 levels as campaign and 5-10 levels for alternative playing (facing waves of enemies in survival mode, for example). However, this is overall a gameplay mod and offers a lot of new features; its graphic is 8bit with sprites and only few models and hires texture, and is not compatible with HRP and other mods.
Consider this as a "semi TC": if applied to original DN3D, the game would be very different. The point of this project is to create a very interesting experience:
-The story should have several scientific and biological elements about DN aliens anatomy and technology, for example explain reasons of the earth invasion, with a bit of suspence; so there will be many real time cinematics and many interaction with NPCs, also simple "hello, duke!" civilians, never existed in dn3d making the atmosphere too many unreal.
-Fighting against aliens is also improved: the biggest feature is the set of 25 new or revisited weapons for duke arsenal (plus 5 secret pieces ^^), with secondary fire or selectable modes and ammunitions; to add more realism, stamina involves running, jumping and the new melee fighting, replacing old duke kicks, and weapons have reloading feature and recoil. This is combined to facing new enemies and original ones with fixes and modifications, from small infiltration missions to large fighting scenarios; i plan to add allied marines/EDF soldiers in some missions.

There are many other features in DN-Again project, here are a few of them:
- Many SFX and GFX
- Better explosions with screen shaking, sound variation on distance and physics on corpses
- Improved gore with partial dismemberment
- New hud
- Totally recoded inventory with new and old items
- New activators, keypad, keycards
- Planning some vehicles, as pigcop recon cars and a motorbike

At the current status i don't know which is the percentual of completion of this project: i don't spend so many time on it due to studying and other activities; i still have to learn to build level in Mapster very well; i'm still working on every features of the story to give you a good experience; i often change, recode and/or undo many fatures to make them better working and lesser expansive for cpu and memory, or i change my mind about some of them because redundant, useless or too many similars to other mods. I'm alone to work on it, overall.

Somebody can tell me this mod will be never released because is too big to be the first project of a duke modder, but DN-Again is only the final idea of a series of versions. It's obvious that is wrong to make a single final release, it can became a dead project with no interest by duke's community, so i decided that is better to plan various mods (also stand-alone) and single episodes, until the "ultimate" release.
I'm working on all next-to-be-completed features, then i hope to release a decent version of DN-Again before the end of 2011 with some test and show maps.
(i'm finishing a small mod for Duke's jetpack taken directly from this mod, i'll post it in the next days)

Your presence is VERY helpful for me: i have many many questions, about coding or choosing among some features, but i need your support, overall.

Below are few screenshots of some features, not so great, but just to show something ; it's time to discuss and chew bubble gums.... and we're all out of gums...

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: DNAgain_hudandother.jpg
  • Attached Image: DNAgain_moto.jpg
  • Attached Image: DNAgain_Nuke.jpg
  • Attached Image: DNAgain_Minigun.jpg

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 28 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Man I really hope you can go ahead with this project, it's already looking promising.
About the HUD, we'll have an option to reduce its size? It's looking big in my opinion.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This shows some promise, perhaps a bit ambitious, though. Also, me thinks you could use a better name. DN-Again sounds like a remake.

User is offline   necroslut 

Looks cool. :(

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostRichardStorm, on 28 September 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

i still have to learn to build level in Mapster very well

well one thing you'd want to do right to have a successful mod is to have good level design, that's for sure

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I can map. :(

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostRichardStorm, on 28 September 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

I plan to do about 20 levels as campaign

Not doable.

Well, i see first replies, thank you ....

View PostLkMax, on 28 September 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

About the HUD, we'll have an option to reduce its size? It's looking big in my opinion.

I think it's good at the moment... maybe i will change only life/stamina corner

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 28 September 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

This shows some promise, perhaps a bit ambitious, though. Also, me thinks you could use a better name. DN-Again sounds like a remake.

I know, the name is a problem... DN-Again it is the "classic" name i gave to this project some years ago on 3dRealms, the principal reason is that actually Duke Nukem means "duke, nuk'em" - "again" because those freaking aliens are back.
"DN-Again sounds like a remake" - not wrong ... DN-Again features can be applied to original DN3D without problems, as a mod without new levels... the story is set after fighting the queen of the 4th episode, why don't make this mod as an "expansion pack" (including the four classic episodes) ?

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 29 September 2011 - 03:54 AM, said:

Not doable.

I've already said that this is a long term project, no matter how time it will take to complete, i will only continue to make it... It's very probable i will reduce map number. Some levels can be insignificant for the story, large or small, or two can be part of a same place (ZX-43 orbital base - sector alpha, sector gamma...). I'm working as a coder for now, i will learn mapping and some artworking later, taking my time...

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 29 September 2011 - 04:46 AM

• Honored Donor

The problem on the mapping side is that while you're making progress on the coding front, you don't have any mapping experience. Even if you stick with it and make the 20 maps eventually, there'll be a huge difference in quality between the earlier maps and the later maps, then you'd want to go back and change the earlier ones. By the time you're done with that, you'll want to change the later ones. And that's only if you have the motivation *and* the inspiration to make them all. I'm not trying to discourage you, but for me at least, there are times when inspiration is a limited resource.

Perhaps you could consider developing your mod a bit more, showing off some of the effects, and hook in some experienced mappers to make at least some of the maps for you.

Btw; I'm also studying to be an engineer. It's all about the money :(

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostRichardStorm, on 29 September 2011 - 04:45 AM, said:

I've already said that this is a long term project, no matter how time it will take to complete, i will only continue to make it... It's very probable i will reduce map number. Some levels can be insignificant for the story, large or small, or two can be part of a same place (ZX-43 orbital base - sector alpha, sector gamma...). I'm working as a coder for now, i will learn mapping and some artworking later, taking my time...

It'd probably take 10 years to finish 20 average-to-good quality maps. There's no way you're still gonna be working on this mod in 2021.

It's not a good idea to announce an ambitious long-term project when you've barely started working on it.

I've worked for my mod for 2 years now, and i am still working equally much as i did 2 years ago. The only difference is that i am faster now. I've finished about 2 maps now, and i don't plan on stopping, not even if i know that i will never finish and release it.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

^He said he was going to release it in stages, starting with a jetpack mod.

He could do a lot without having original maps (weapons, inventory, enemies, etc.)

The title could be changed to "Duke Nukes 'Em Again"

User is offline   Stabs 

Well good luck with 20 maps, keep in mind MAPS not tech demos :(

About mapping, i don't need to become as skilled as great mappers around, but only to do something decent and not horrible. I didn't said 20 amazing-detailed levels, i didn't said 20 maps is the rule to follow at all cost, they can become 10 without problems. I'm not a newbie on Build, i can already do simple levels with rooms ad SE, but i need -many- practice in shading and details. Experts have to correct me if i wrong, but i suppose if i spent three weeks only on mapster, with my mind free from CONs, i'd be able to do something not so bad (1-2 maps). Quality will arrive with experience, map after map correcting previous works with some details, no more.

But certainly i didn't said i'm determined to do all this thing alone, i don't search glory. As a newcomer in duke's community, now i just want to share my mod features and DN modding interst with you, showing you what i can do with CON editing. I think is wrong to ask by now active collaboration in my project in mapping, artworking etc, but is clear that any help will be very appreciated, better and better if someone decides to work with me in this mod. DN-Again is an idea to share, not already a promise or a pact.
At least It's possible i can cancel this project to make part with my ideas and con skills to another mod or TC, if somebody would propose me this choice.

There is another reason for wich i decided to do this long project: 25 weapons (less rendundant as possible) should be set in various maps, have to been balanced with more difficult fighting situations, and there are other features i planned without revealing them that would sounds good in a new episode, so it's better make this episode with a nice storyline, to make game experience interesting for who decides to play it.

This is it. I'm sure some things are more clear to you about me and this mod.

Well...let's continue to talk about gameplay modifications. There is no much work to do, most features are 100% finished and i know how to code what remains, but i'm still stuck on some things:

- how can i get the total wall number of the current map , storing it into a gamevar? (need it for stop logging errors with new activators)
- I cannot decide among desert eagle and revolver as most lethal handguns. Which should be more accurate, rare and powerful ? which in akimbo version, or with ironsight POV as modern fps for accurate killings? And if i create an heavy sniper rifle or some special shells for the shotgun, including only one between d.eagle o revolver ?
- what the "purple lava" of ep.4 is supposed to be ? Acid, poison, virus... lava ? ( for an enemy weapon, not usable by duke )
- should HUD shows all items currently used ? This features improves gameplay but covers the view... so i need your choice (items are more than 10)
- spider mines or.. holoduke with proximity bomb ? ^^

... Any idea ?

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 29 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostRichardStorm, on 29 September 2011 - 12:49 PM, said:

Experts have to correct me if i wrong, but i suppose if i spent three weeks only on mapster, with my mind free from CONs, i'd be able to do something not so bad (1-2 maps).

It takes months to produce a good map. Of course, if you're willing to work many hours a day then it'll take less but who can stick to such a schedule for extended periods? Consistency is hard to maintain because inspiration can be fleeting. As for quality, "something not so bad" just isn't enough. There are thousands of "something not so bad" maps around and no one wants to play them.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 29 September 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

It takes months to produce a good map.

Depends on how much time you can devote to it per day, and how rapidly you can work. Some folks are faster than others, and not everyone believes a "good map" is just something with uber-detail. Sometimes something with a classic-level amount of detail is just fine.

User is online   zykov eddy 

Looks pretty interesting, waiting for a complete version.

- how can i get the total wall number of the current map , storing it into a gamevar?

NUMWALLS - NUMSECTORS... found this morning on Wiki among gamevars...

- I cannot decide among desert eagle and revolver as most lethal handguns. ...

I've decided for desert eagle only, akimbo and single with ironsight POV. However, shotgun will have various secondary ammunitions. No heavy rifle.

- what the "purple lava" of ep.4 is supposed to be ? Acid, poison, virus... lava ?
- should HUD shows all items currently used ?
- spider mines or.. holoduke with proximity bomb ?

Still waiting these answers, then i'll proceed with my work...

• Honored Donor

Nobody really knows what the purple lava is. All we know is that it's a texture that causes you heavy damage when you enter a sector with that as the floor texture. Because of the various pals, it can be made to look like anything. For example, the first instance of it being used was in a chamber in Derelict filled with radioactive fuel/waste.

The hud should only show items when necessary. For example, in the normal game, when you press [ or ] to select an item, all the items show up.

What's a spider mine?

User is offline   CruX 

- should HUD shows all items currently used ? This features improves gameplay but covers the view... so i need your choice (items are more than 10)

If you mean ALL items the player has in their inventory, no. Only display what's currently selected/in-use.

- spider mines or.. holoduke with proximity bomb ? ^^

Spider mines, assuming you have the know-how to make 'em (and judging from the screens, I reckon you do).

This post has been edited by EmericaSkater: 02 October 2011 - 05:40 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

I like spider mines, but why would they replace holoduke? They would make more sense as a subweapon of pipebomb or tripbomb.

I was trying to understand what the purple lava is because of its presence in the queen level, clearly an alien building, in the long way that brings to her; It seems to be something organic. I would know its role in the alien world and its biological effects, for fixing some scientifical elements of the story and thinking to a new enemy.

For the inventory, i already said that it should show only all items which are currently in use, not all.
The problem is that they actually covers the right side of the HUD (see below in the screenshot... d'oh, spoiler ^^) and considering that i should add other items, i have to decide if moving and/or shrinking them into another point of the HUD, or remove completely this function.

For spider mines and holoduke, i want to add some other traps usable by duke, not as weapons but usable from inventory.
I never liked holoduke, i consider it useless. Making it as an explosive trap could be more interesting and useful in combat (without 100% charge, but as consumable item(s) with a maximum duration of 10-15 sec before exploding or deactivating).
The alternative is Spider mine. Spider mines stand in place when used and when an enemy goes into its scanner range they walk towards it and then explode at contact.
I want to include only one of them, to be less rendundant as possible...

Edit: forgot the screenshot

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: HUDwitems.jpg

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 02 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

You can make your HUD much more efficient. The keys can overlap. Numbers can be smaller and go under the icons so they don't encroach on the middle of the screen. Etc.

Here's an example from WGR2. Notice there are actually more HUD items than you have, but there is less screen taken up by the HUD.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.jpg

Jetpack mod is ready ! It's only the first version, it can be improved in many ways i mention in the readme.

DeeperThought, i need only your permission to use an hires texture from yours (an old version of the flaming globe you use for FIRELASER in DP), then i'll put this mod in the forum.

• Duke Plus Developer

Yes, go ahead.

Ok, here it is. Don't forget to read the Readme...

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: JPMod_sshot.jpg

Attached File(s)

I hope you liked a (very little) bit the new jetpack for who downloaded it.

I'm now fixing a part of code that involves sectors, walls, activators etc for some new switches and similar . I need a way to make the actor knows when a sector it operates is busy during its movement, for example a slow sliding door, to make that activator not usable during that time, as hardcoded switches do. There are no useful sector members for this purpose.

Is there a way do to this or should i simply avoid this situation using classic switches ?

I was thinking to work on gpspeeds' lotag, but i expect the right formula (check SE type, convert it to counts etc etc) is very complicated.
Maybe i should make these actors working properly only with few particular situations in the entire game, instead to think them as general purpose switches, placeable "everywhere". What do you think about it ?

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 04 October 2011 - 03:05 AM

Found checkactivatormotion(lotag), simple as drink water, it works correctly. Nevermind.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 05 October 2011 - 03:04 AM

• Honored Donor

So now that you've released the jetpack minimod, what are you working on now?

I'm working on weapons; there are many fixes and modifications to do, as adding ironsight view to standard pistols and desert eagles, alternative shells for the shotgun, some hand explosives and so on.

I've also discovered some bugs freezing or shrinking eggs, i have to fix them.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 07 October 2011 - 04:31 AM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options