Duke4.net Forums: Super Nukem Bros. - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Super Nukem Bros.  "It's like Super Mario Bros. on steroids...literally."

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I started working on this mod early last year. I took what Duke3D had to offer and made it as much like Super Mario Bros. for NES as possible. This mod contains recreated versions of the first four levels of Super Mario Bros. The only big difference is that you're killing aliens instead of the original Super Mario Bros. enemies. I wanted to add modified versions of the Super Mario Bros. enemies at first, but it was too much work for me.

http://dukeisforever.../duke3dmods.htm

The second level should have been built with TROR, but I built it way before TROR was available. I might rebuild it later.

Tips:

You can shoot the top or bottom out of a question mark block to get the item it contains. You can also just walk on top of the block to get the item or jump up and bump your head against it.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 15 October 2014 - 10:00 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I'll just leave this here. Sorry about no sound.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

So that's more of a themed map than a mod, I guess. Maybe you should try mapping for this instead:

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's a cool map pack, though. I especially liked 1-3. However, I wish that the enemies weren't included. It's more fun to just run through the levels without dealing with slimers and troopers.

I also like the presentation of the mod at the beginning. The font is good, as are the intro screen and menu sounds. If I were to resurrect the Mario Nukem TC, I would definitely be looking to borrow some stuff from this.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

One question..... can he eat shrooms?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostReaperMan, on 11 September 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

Well the health replacements are shrooms.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostLunick, on 11 September 2011 - 08:40 PM, said:

Does he get taller and become a giant ass kicking Duke Nukem?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostReaperMan, on 11 September 2011 - 08:42 PM, said:

Does he get taller and become a giant ass kicking Duke Nukem?

Unfortunetly Not, I would actually like to see the steroids do that actually.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Mario's steroid enhanced mushrooms. Guaranteed to make your plumber grow.

View PostPlagman, on 11 September 2011 - 08:01 PM, said:

Maybe you should try mapping for this instead:

I'm sure I could.

View PostDeeperThought, on 11 September 2011 - 08:21 PM, said:

The font is good, as are the intro screen and menu sounds. If I were to resurrect the Mario Nukem TC, I would definitely be looking to borrow some stuff from this.

The font is called Super Plumber Brothers I believe. It looks good all except the zero.

The biggest reason I made this was because I was impatient for another release of Mario Nukem. :( If you do return to Mario Nukem and need help, I could probably do some mapping. I'm just not good with the actual coding and all that you do. The only thing I really done with this mod was change the jumping height.

View PostLunick, on 11 September 2011 - 08:40 PM, said:

That's what they were in the version you got. I removed them in the version I posted here.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 11 September 2011 - 10:27 PM, said:

The biggest reason I made this was because I was impatient for another release of Mario Nukem. :( If you do return to Mario Nukem and need help, I could probably do some mapping.

Yeah, I feel badly about abandoning that for so long. But I only have time to focus on one project at a time, and right now that project is WGR2. The other thing is, I feel that the Mario Nukem/Super Nukem bros. project lacks a unique identity. Originally it was going to be like the old 8-bit Mario games in 3D, but with Duke Nukem thrown into the mix. I liked the idea of Duke being in Mario's world. He would be able to run and jump like Mario, but sometimes he would get hold of a rocket launcher or some other weapon and be able to reduce goombas and koopas to bloody jibs. But no one else liked that idea, so I just let it go and coded a straight Mario game in 3D, while the modelers made straight (and awesome) Mario style models for the enemies and such. But without Duke, there's a danger of it becoming a Mario 64/Mario Galaxy knockoff. I mean, if it's just another 3D Mario game, then why bother? It won't be as good as what Nintendo makes, and it won't have its own identity. I suppose the idea that it is based on the 8-bit games and is played in first person is something approaching originality, but doesn't really go far enough in my estimation. And on top of that, Nintendo could potentially shut it down, and we wouldn't even have the defense of arguing that it is a parody (and thus protected speech). So, I don't know what to do with it, and that has been a major sticking point.

• Weaponized Autism

If you're in need of inspiration, there's a pretty good ZDoom TC called "Super Sonic Doom" which essentially puts the Doomguy and Doom enemies in Sonic atmosphere and sorta-Sonic gameplay (i.e. rings, but not loops).

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostHendricks266, on 11 September 2011 - 11:07 PM, said:

If you're in need of inspiration, there's a pretty good ZDoom TC called "Super Sonic Doom" which essentially puts the Doomguy and Doom enemies in Sonic atmosphere and sorta-Sonic gameplay (i.e. rings, but not loops).

Almost all of Sonic gameplay, scoring system, rings(as armor bonus)/machines(?, just like Sonic, it's has item icon,and player jumps on it to destroy it and get the item), Zone/ACT style levels, bonus levels etc.(Thank god, no lives system in the mod. xD)

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Super_Sonic_Doom
http://homepage.ntlw...lark13/ssd.html

And, try using old ZDooM version(2.0.94f) to run it if someone want to try it...
The author also made a custom 2.0.94f ZDooM exe for the mod(can download on his SSD page, because it abuses a lot of DooM/ZDooM engine bugs to deal with its effects, cause this mod would bugged on later ZDooM versions, I was played this mod with GZDooM(official version based on ZDooM 2.1.7/2.2.0) and it was ran good but had many glitches or performances problems, but still playable at all, really nice mod.

(Maybe the latest official/SVNs ZDooM builds fixed some of glitches but not all of them.)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 12 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

I've never really been a fan of mario. But i think it was pretty funny. Could have been longer. Shouldn't take that long.

View Postrasmus thorup, on 12 September 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

I've never really been a fan of mario. But i think it was pretty funny. Could have been longer. Shouldn't take that long.

There will probably be future releases. We'll see. There's a reason I put a detour exit at the end. :(

The mouse at the end is a parody of this:

At 0:28.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 12 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 12 September 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

The mouse at the end is a parody of this:

/head explodes

User is offline   zykov eddy 

Nice little mod. Even without new con features it looks pretty neat.

How about a Duke Nukem version of original Sonic the Hedgehog?
Anyone?

View Postzykov eddy, on 13 September 2011 - 01:44 AM, said:

How about a Duke Nukem version of original Sonic the Hedgehog?

I thought about that while I was making this mod. I guess it would be possible now with TROR.

I'm really jealous of you guys. I don't know a damn thing about modding :/. But then again, I'm not really a PC gamer..eventhough I was really looking forward to modding DNF. But we all know what came of that. Keep up the good work :(.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 13 September 2011 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postthelegend4ever, on 13 September 2011 - 06:06 AM, said:

I'm really jealous of you guys. I don't know a damn thing about modding :/. But then again, I'm not really a PC gamer..eventhough I was really looking forward to modding DNF. But we all know what came of that. Keep up the good work :(.

This is a little off topic but it's never too late to learn how to map :(
The learning curve is nowhere near as steep as with modern map editors, it's mostly just a matter of learning the keys.

I guess it would be possible now with TROR.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a TROR map released yet. There's a few which use TROR in the upcoming WGRealms 2 update, but that's probably still a few months away. Zaxtor might be working on something for his TC, and I'm also working on a map in my free time, but I thought given how long the feature has been out, somebody would have actually finished and released something by now Posted Image

User is offline   DukeFTW 

Looks good, but the enemies seem out of place :/ But its still great

View PostDukeFTW, on 17 September 2011 - 10:28 PM, said:

Looks good, but the enemies seem out of place :/ But its still great

On the Piece of Cake difficulty, they're in the exact same places as the enemies are in the original Super Mario Bros. The higher difficulties have extra enemies added.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Not to be a dick here, but with all the talk of 'remaking' games here, I want to ask what the point of that is exactly? Why build a remake of the first Sonic game? It'll never be as good, and only come off as a novelty. A demake, if you will. What I'm really getting to is, why not dedicate your time to a more original project?

User is offline   HellFire 

I agree that remaking doom in duke engine, for example, would be a waste of time. But remaking mario in duke is ok in my opinion since Mario is a platformer and in duke it would be a fps/first person adventure or whatever. It's a big change, so as long as its fun to play i think its worthy.

• Weaponized Autism

This reminds me of this brain tumor, and all the CoDfags gushing its praises. Getting an achievement for every single action you can perform? How utterly stupid.

I'm sure your mod is better though. :(

View PostHendricks266, on 20 September 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

That walkway is too narrow in my opinion. I thought about making mine narrow like that, too, but it just wouldn't have worked out well.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

A first person sidescroller is a retarded idea. The only reason he's playing the level so well is because he remembers the layout in his mind. It'd be utterly confusing if he was new to the level.

View PostReaperMan, on 11 September 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

Now he can. :(

Download:
(Outdated link removed)

The EDuke version included is a little old. I tried the current version. It worked, but it was showing up some errors.

Also, I would like to thank James and High Treason for helping me get rid of the fall damage while keeping falling death. This version is about the same as my last release, but with a few improvements. No new maps yet. I wanted to wait until I made a few more before I made a new release, but oh well. I think everyone will enjoy the next maps that I build. They won't be remakes of the original levels, but wide-open randomness.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 15 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

It's been a while, but I've made some improvements and built some more levels for this. I remade all of the levels from World 2 and added them as a second episode:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't plan on remaking anymore of the original levels. However, I did add a third episode called The Alternate World, which will be an episode for randomly-built maps. Duke64Nukem is or was making a map for this episode, but I went ahead and made a map to start the episode off:

Posted Image

I'm willing to add more to that episode if anyone wants to build a map(s) for it, depending on the quality of what you build. That's really the purpose in me making the episode. I'd like to see what other people can come up with. All I ask is that you make use of the Super Mario Bros. art that I've added as much as possible, but you can still use the Duke3D art, too.

Anyway, the download link is in the first post of this thread. I will continue to update the package when/if more maps are made and included, or if I make any changes or improvements.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostJimmy, on 20 September 2011 - 06:02 PM, said:

A first person sidescroller is a retarded idea. The only reason he's playing the level so well is because he remembers the layout in his mind. It'd be utterly confusing if he was new to the level.

There is a classic view on the top-left screen, no?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options