Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE UNFINISHED MAP] DARK HORIZON - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE UNFINISHED MAP] DARK HORIZON  "A fully playable map for HRP"

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Hi I feel motivated to release this unfinished map I made eons ago, well not really, maybe at end of 2008 and early 2009. It's designed for HRP in mind.
But it doesn't look so bad in classic (32 bit) maybe just some weird sprite sizes and orientations. It lacks shading but has some nice shadows and design while dull on other parts.

It needs dukeplus to run.

To end the level you need to find the steroids in the nightclub and go outside and jumping the purple (or blue if you use HRP) lava hole in the ground next to the Magazine shop using the steroids and then go to Area 51 building where a choper is waiting you.

Hope you enjoy this crappy map! ;) It brings old mapping memories back to me. May you recognize some areas I used in nightshade army :)

Attached Image: 1.jpg

Attached Image: 2.jpg

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Norvak: 22 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Just a few questions (I haven't played it yet):

What's unfinished about it?
What would you have added if you had the time and motivation?

• Music Producer

View PostMicky C, on 06 August 2011 - 09:56 PM, said:

Just a few questions (I haven't played it yet):

What's unfinished about it?
What would you have added if you had the time and motivation?

The gameplay is not clear on some spots, totally empty rooms, it lacks shading, but I can't tell how unfinished is, I just don't remember how I'm supposed to continue. May some of you could play it and tell me what do you think, if it worths to finish it. I hate to abandon projects but for some reason I felt unmotivated with this map, also there's another map that I said everywhere i was about to finish it, and then I realized it has more potential than if I had released as it is, maybe some of you remember "Sunstroke" perhaps when I finish the WGR episode, i could make proper remake of that map...

EDIT: More shots:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 03.jpg
  • Attached Image: 04.jpg

This post has been edited by Norvak: 07 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I haven't looked at it yet, but there is one major problem with finishing it based on what you said: you used some locations in Nightshade Army. So even if the map is finished, it will feel wrong as long as those locations are there.

• Music Producer

View PostDeeperThought, on 07 August 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

I haven't looked at it yet, but there is one major problem with finishing it based on what you said: you used some locations in Nightshade Army. So even if the map is finished, it will feel wrong as long as those locations are there.

Yeah that's the big point I forgot to mention, also i feel this map like some old stuff I don't want to finish...

This post has been edited by Norvak: 22 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

• Music Producer

So anyone has played the map?

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostNorvak, on 13 August 2011 - 09:43 AM, said:

So anyone has played the map?

I checked it out. A lot of very good stuff there. One thing that stands out in my memory was the shadow of the cross from the steeple. Some very nice detail, and a good overall layout. Too bad it got left behind, IMO it's worth finishing.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Played the map. I think it could be finished easily if you just started tying up loose ends simply by removing them. For example, in shot dark1.jpg, forgetabout whatever you were planning on putting there, remove the openings that lead to an empty room and make the building look nice from outside. In dark2.jpg, the same, forgetabout the movie theater, just make it look good from outside, although bright colors and lights suggest the theater is open so I'd suggest making it look closed so that the player is not fooled into thinking that he's supposed to go there at some point. Dark3.jpg, forgetabout the interiors of this building, there's that roof part where you're supposed to go, after all. The same with dark4.jpg and dark5.jpg; they're just unfinished buildings with no apparent function.

So, you'd simply get rid of anything that looks very unfinished by turning them into merely decorative buildings. There are plenty of accessible locations in the map already.

Moreover, the map has tons of good stuff so it'd be a huge shame to let it all go to waste.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: dark1.jpg
  • Attached Image: dark2.jpg
  • Attached Image: dark3.jpg
  • Attached Image: dark4.jpg
  • Attached Image: dark5.jpg

• Music Producer

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 29 August 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

Played the map. I think it could be finished easily if you just started tying up loose ends simply by removing them. For example, in shot dark1.jpg, forgetabout whatever you were planning on putting there, remove the openings that lead to an empty room and make the building look nice from outside. In dark2.jpg, the same, forgetabout the movie theater, just make it look good from outside, although bright colors and lights suggest the theater is open so I'd suggest making it look closed so that the player is not fooled into thinking that he's supposed to go there at some point. Dark3.jpg, forgetabout the interiors of this building, there's that roof part where you're supposed to go, after all. The same with dark4.jpg and dark5.jpg; they're just unfinished buildings with no apparent function.

So, you'd simply get rid of anything that looks very unfinished by turning them into merely decorative buildings. There are plenty of accessible locations in the map already.

Moreover, the map has tons of good stuff so it'd be a huge shame to let it all go to waste.

Well maybe I can finish it but I need to modify or remove some locations that already apears in Nightshade army as the jet scripted sequence or Dukai sushi building. Also I have that " sunstroke" map in my HD that I really want to finish but with all the things I have learned these years I think it could be improved a lot, and my plan is to remake it.

So you play the map from start to end? what do you think about enemies/items and gameplay? It is too difficult to realize where to go next?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I thought the gameplay seemed very unfinished (for example, how to get inside the car?) so I resorted to cheating a couple of times. But I think these issues can be solved rather quickly once the map's design is done.

Btw, as I was playing the map I was trying to spot those Nightshade Army locations but couldn't. The plane should be kept. I realized the Dukai Sushi thing only after I had played the map. I don't really see the problem; you should keep it that way. Maybe this particular restaurant chain likes to give their restaurants similar layouts?

• Music Producer

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 29 August 2011 - 05:49 PM, said:

I thought the gameplay seemed very unfinished (for example, how to get inside the car?) so I resorted to cheating a couple of times. But I think these issues can be solved rather quickly once the map's design is done.

Well in fact the map is fully playable but I didn't add many hints and the gameplay is confusing at times it isn't really a linear map, to get inside the van you need to get inside the magazine shop first using the blue keycard that you got in the bank vault, then there's a light switch inside that opens a door to a room with fog in the right, next to the snack machine, you need to be fast cos is an autoclosing door, then inside that room there's some switches and a screen to open the car's back door...

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 29 August 2011 - 05:49 PM, said:

Btw, as I was playing the map I was trying to spot those Nightshade Army locations but couldn't. The plane should be kept. I realized the Dukai Sushi thing only after I had played the map. I don't really see the problem; you should keep it that way. Maybe this particular restaurant chain likes to give their restaurants similar layouts?

LOL like a kind of auto-eastern egg?

This post has been edited by Norvak: 29 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

• Music Producer

Well in fact there isn't many recognizable parts from Nightshade army in this map, so I'm gonna iclude the map in my to-do list, hope I could release it soon. <------- :(

This post has been edited by Norvak: 22 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options