Duke4.net Forums: Mr.Deviance has fixed the bumpmaps in the full game! Oh nohes! :D - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mr.Deviance has fixed the bumpmaps in the full game! Oh nohes! :D

User is offline   Mr.Deviance 

  • 254

#1

I kicked this game's ass yet again.
After being the first to find the sos console, now I bring another first to you guys.
You can finally play the Full game with the same bumpmap quality as in the demo and if you want you can have even MORE detail than you've had in the demo.
At this point you are probably asking yourselves how did I do it and if you will need to download some extra bumpmap files or something like that to fix it.
My answer is!
Absolutely not!

To get the bumpmaps to look as detailed as they looked in the demo or even more detailed all you have to do is enter this command in the console
r_bumpmipbias -1

Now read this if you want even more details or less details.
It seems that r_bumpmipbias is a lod (level of detail)setting for bumpmaps that can have values that range from -100 to 100 where 0 is technically the middle between extremely sharp and extremely blurry.
If you want the details to look as high as they did in the demo, type r_bumpmipbias -1 if you want even more detail type r_bumpmipbias -10 and if you want even MORE detail (which at this point starts to be exaggerated IMO) type r_bumpmipbias -100
If you want to go back to the default settings type r_bumpmipbias 0

To be honest, -100 vs -10 don't seem to make any real difference now that I've looked again and -10 already seems to exaggerated to me.
The thing with going too low with these values is that details start to look aliased(jaggy) and this is an effect that's know to happen when you exaggerate bumpmaps too much in general.
So my personal advice is to set them to either -1 or -0.5 according to your preference.
-1 is like in the demo while -0.5 is slightly blurrier but also helps with the aliasing issue.
Play with these values to your liking because this is where you get the bumpmap details from :D

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

8

Buy Duke3D from GOG.com!

User is offline   trackit 

  • 0

#2

wow... nice ;) i will try it at home!

Can we leave requests? :D blood decals is next on my list ;)
0

User is offline   TerminX 

  • EDuke32 Project Manager
  • 2,188

  #3

Is r_bumpmipbias actually -1 in the demo and 0 in the full version, or did they make changes to the renderer that result in a value of -1 now approximating the results of what a value of 0 gave before?
0

User is offline   Mr.Deviance 

  • 254

#4

View PostTX, on 16 June 2011 - 10:49 PM, said:

Is r_bumpmipbias actually -1 in the demo and 0 in the full version, or did they make changes to the renderer that result in a value of -1 now approximating the results of what a value of 0 gave before?

In the demo it looks ok with 0 but in the full game it doesn't.
I am not sure if they blurred the physical bumpmaps or if they just fucked around with the setting but all I can say after my research is that with -1 in the full game, the depth and the details look like the demo does by default.
2

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • 678

#5

Nobody really knows. The 'bump' maps are these strange green maps that look like they are an 'extra' green channel from the normal map. Maybe they multiplied them, not figured it out yet.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 16 June 2011 - 11:21 PM

0

User is offline   randir14 

  • 66

#6

Holy shit...first the console now the bump maps. Meanwhile Gearbox is "looking into it". Amazing job...
0

User is offline   Mr.Deviance 

  • 254

#7

View Postrandir14, on 16 June 2011 - 11:22 PM, said:

Holy shit...first the console now the bump maps. Meanwhile Gearbox is "looking into it". Amazing job...

I found this in the process of searching for a fix for the bullet wound decals :lol:
If a console setting can fix the bullet wound decals then I will find that too, however I am not so sure about that one.
At this point I think the bullet wounds are a decal setting set up through material settings from inside the material files which I can't modify at this point without some tools.
But if we're lucky I might just make a Mr.Deviace strikes again round 3. Let's be hopeful.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 June 2011 - 11:27 PM

4

User is offline   coheed82 

  • 20

#8

View Postrandir14, on 16 June 2011 - 11:22 PM, said:

Holy shit...first the console now the bump maps. Meanwhile Gearbox is "looking into it". Amazing job...


Man, he strikes back again! :D
makes ya wonder what GEARBOX'S problem is? the tools are all here for us just hidden, so why are they holding back and not just telling us everything that is possible here? what next.. the editor is fully here and hidden too??? :lol:
keep it up Mr.Deviance :dukeaffirmative: here's another rep point from me :thumbsup:

Those Alien Bastards Drank All My Beer........................
0

User is offline   Adlermann 

  • 1

#9

Nice catch! Hail to Mr Deviance :)
0

User is offline   Mr.Deviance 

  • 254

#10

View Posttrackit, on 16 June 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

wow... nice ;) i will try it at home!

Can we leave requests? :D blood decals is next on my list ;)

Actually that's what I was trying to fix when I discovered this.


View Postcoheed82, on 16 June 2011 - 11:33 PM, said:

Man, he strikes back again! :D
makes ya wonder what GEARBOX'S problem is? the tools are all here for us just hidden, so why are they holding back and not just telling us everything that is possible here? what next.. the editor is fully here and hidden too??? :lol:
keep it up Mr.Deviance :dukeaffirmative: here's another rep point from me :thumbsup:

Thanks. The editor commands are there but the editor files don't exist and I can assure you of that because I've documented myself on how this shit works.
In fact you could even see the editor in the 2009 Jace Hall show and it has an exe named DukEd which is obviously not in the game anymore.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

1

User is offline   Romulus 

  • 3

#11

I had to register just to say, you rock @Mr.deviance, job well done! But I had one question in mind, in the other thread regarding the "demo had better bumpmaps than full version" I read that once the bumpmap files from the full version were replaced with the ones from the demo, the bumpmaps looked better just like the demo, now after this discovery with this console command, does this mean that the effects from the file replacement were a placebo, or does this mean that the demo indeed had better bumpmap files regardless of what settings are being used?
0

User is offline   coheed82 

  • 20

#12

Mr.Deviance thanks to you i can do this.. TahhDahh!

Posted Image

and thanks for this, im exploring everything i can, even now im playing what i like to call "Duke Rally"!! B) thanks to first person view in Ghost Town level! & dnclip gives me the freedom i really enjoy! :D

Posted Image

Thanks a bunch. now to use dnclip to go to those special places!

Those Alien Bastards Drank All My Beer........................

This post has been edited by coheed82: 16 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

0

User is offline   Mr.Deviance 

  • 254

#13

View PostRomulus, on 16 June 2011 - 11:53 PM, said:

I had to register just to say, you rock @Mr.deviance, job well done! But I had one question in mind, in the other thread regarding the "demo had better bumpmaps than full version" I read that once the bumpmap files from the full version were replaced with the ones from the demo, the bumpmaps looked better just like the demo, now after this discovery with this console command, does this mean that the effects from the file replacement were a placebo, or does this mean that the demo indeed had better bumpmap files regardless of what settings are being used?

I am not sure but I think that the full game bumpmaps are blurred just a bit and with this command the details get carved deeper into the blurred bumpmaps and the details pop out again even if the bumpmaps are bit blurred.
Go try for yourself and you will see that with this command the bumpmaps are going to look as they did in the demo.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

1

User is offline   Malgon 

  • 78

#14

Seriously, what ever you're doing Mr. Deviance keep it up! I can't wait to try out the console for myself and test all of this stuff that you've uncovered! :)

Most anticipated games: Batman Arkham Knight
0

User is offline   Mr.Deviance 

  • 254

#15

View PostMalgon, on 17 June 2011 - 12:22 AM, said:

Seriously, what ever you're doing Mr. Deviance keep it up! I can't wait to try out the console for myself and test all of this stuff that you've uncovered! :)

At the moment I am trying to compare some bumpmap files from the demo with the ones from the full game and reach a definitive conclusion on whether the full game has it's bumpmap files blurred or not.
0

User is offline   Stewox 

  • 4

#16

View PostMr.Deviance, on 16 June 2011 - 10:37 PM, said:

I kicked this game's ass yet again.
After being the first to find the sos console, now I bring another first to you guys.
You can finally play the Full game with the same bumpmap quality as in the demo and if you want you can have even MORE detail than you've had in the demo.
At this point you are probably asking yourselves how did I do it and if you will need to download some extra bumpmap files or something like that to fix it.
My answer is!
Absolutely not!

To get the bumpmaps to look as detailed as they looked in the demo or even more detailed all you have to do is enter this command in the console
r_bumpmipbias -1

Now read this if you want even more details or less details.
It seems that r_bumpmipbias is a lod (level of detail)setting for bumpmaps that can have values that range from -100 to 100 where 0 is technically the middle between extremely sharp and extremely blurry.
If you want the details to look as high as they did in the demo, type r_bumpmipbias -1 if you want even more detail type r_bumpmipbias -10 and if you want even MORE detail (which at this point starts to be exaggerated IMO) type r_bumpmipbias -100
If you want to go back to the default settings type r_bumpmipbias 0

To be honest, -100 vs -10 don't seem to make any real difference now that I've looked again and -10 already seems to exaggerated to me.
The thing with going too low with these values is that details start to look aliased(jaggy) and this is an effect that's know to happen when you exaggerate bumpmaps too much in general.
So my personal advice is to set them to either -1 or -0.5 according to your preference.
-1 is like in the demo while -0.5 is slightly blurrier but also helps with the aliasing issue.
Play with these values to your liking because this is where you get the bumpmap details from :D



do you remember my post . "maybe it's just a setting probably"

;)
-1

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

  • 6

#17

makes you wonder if gearbox wanted to make DNF fail so the could "Reboot" the IP I mean why else turn off the good bump maps in the full version and console commands >_>? /tinfoil hat
0

User is offline   Romulus 

  • 3

#18

If, the full version's bumpmaps, when replaced by the bumpmaps from the demo, can recreate the same quality visuals from the demo without the console tweaking, then perhaps the bumpmaps were really toned down in the final version. I had to lend my monitor to a friend of mine since he has this exam and he's gotta finish a bunch of projects, and his monitor betrayed him, I don't have a way to test the theory out for myself, but if what was said in the other thread regarding the bumpmaps and the part where replacing the bumpmaps in the full version with the ones from the demo helps to recreate the same quality visuals, is true, then I believe there's more to this issue than just an option change, just my guesstimation.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 17 June 2011 - 12:59 AM

0

User is offline   Trok 

  • 0

#19

Awesome find... is there any way to set this as default so I don't have to enter the command every time I start the game? (Question also applies to FOV)
0

User is offline   TerminX 

  • EDuke32 Project Manager
  • 2,188

  #20

View PostMadmaxwell, on 17 June 2011 - 12:50 AM, said:

makes you wonder if gearbox wanted to make DNF fail so the could "Reboot" the IP I mean why else turn off the good bump maps in the full version and console commands >_>? /tinfoil hat

You know, as fun as conspiracy theories are, I'm pretty sure they didn't set out to spend millions of dollars to put their name on something people are going to think is shitty and still remember in a few years when they "reboot" it. Dismantle your hat, put the foil back on the roll and come back and join us in the real world. ;)
2

User is offline   randir14 

  • 66

#21

View PostTrok, on 17 June 2011 - 12:56 AM, said:

Awesome find... is there any way to set this as default so I don't have to enter the command every time I start the game? (Question also applies to FOV)


I know there's a way to bind console commands to keys, but I don't know how to bind multiple commands to a single key. Maybe someone else here knows. A single command to make the "T" key change your FoV to 90 would look like:
set input T fov 90

This post has been edited by randir14: 17 June 2011 - 01:03 AM

1

User is offline   Romulus 

  • 3

#22

To me it seems Triptych never had enough time, 2K probably wanted to rush the game out to the public in some sort of a playable form thinking it would be a huge success since it is "Duke" and I'm not saying the game is bad, not at all, what I'm saying is, if they weren't in such a rush, Duke Nukem Forever could've probably be the game we wanted it to be.
0

User is offline   Trok 

  • 0

#23

View Postrandir14, on 17 June 2011 - 01:01 AM, said:

I know there's a way to bind console commands to keys, but I don't know how to bind multiple commands to a single key. Maybe someone else here knows. A single command to make the "T" key change your FoV to 90 would look like:
set input T fov 90


Thank you much. :)
0

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

  • 6

#24

View PostTX, on 17 June 2011 - 12:57 AM, said:

You know, as fun as conspiracy theories are, I'm pretty sure they didn't set out to spend millions of dollars to put their name on something people are going to think is shitty and still remember in a few years when they "reboot" it. Dismantle your hat, put the foil back on the roll and come back and join us in the real world. ;)



I will just as soon as gearbox explains why there PR is so shit xD, also tin foil better used as burrito wrapper :3

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Madmaxwell: 17 June 2011 - 01:16 AM

0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor
  • 1,977

#25

View PostRomulus, on 17 June 2011 - 01:04 AM, said:

To me it seems Triptych never had enough time, 2K probably wanted to rush the game out to the public in some sort of a playable form thinking it would be a huge success since it is "Duke" and I'm not saying the game is bad, not at all, what I'm saying is, if they weren't in such a rush, Duke Nukem Forever could've probably be the game we wanted it to be.


Not quite. The level design would still be the same, and they'd definitely still be linear.

Edit: btw I'm typing this thing into the SOS console and it's not making the slightest bit of difference :(

It's actually Micky C.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 17 June 2011 - 01:46 AM

0

User is offline   Mr.Deviance 

  • 254

#26

View Postrandir14, on 17 June 2011 - 01:01 AM, said:

I know there's a way to bind console commands to keys, but I don't know how to bind multiple commands to a single key. Maybe someone else here knows. A single command to make the "T" key change your FoV to 90 would look like:
set input T fov 90

set input "key" | command1 | command2 | command3 | command4 | etc |

That's how you input multiple commands :D
1

User is offline   Paradox 

  • 0

#27

I've for instance bound:
set input b set Engine.PlayerPawn DefaultFOV 90 | r_dofpow 0 | r_bumpmipbias -1 | set dngame.playerpawn vehiclepov vpov_firstperson
Damn the game looks so much nicer this way!

Note:
dofpow is to disable depth of field.
vehiclepov is to enable first-person in the Mighty Foot levels.

Thanks a bunch Mr.Deviance! You've saved my life!

This post has been edited by Paradox: 17 June 2011 - 02:35 AM

0

User is offline   DI-MeisterM 

  • 19

#28

Utterly amazing, thanks guys. I hope the next DNF/Steam update won't remove these stuff.
0

User is offline   Hank 

  • 588

#29

View PostMr.Deviance, on 16 June 2011 - 11:27 PM, said:

I found this in the process of searching for a fix for the bullet wound decals :lol:


Posted Image great! Helps me right now !!!
Great work, and thanks! Posted Image
Keep it up.


This post has been edited by Hank: 17 June 2011 - 05:23 AM

0

User is offline   pulse85 

  • 8

#30

Great work man, now on to those blood decals!
0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


Buy Duke3D from GOG.com!

All trademarks are property of their respective owners and all comments are owned by their posters. © 2004-2014 Duke4.net

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options