Duke4.net Forums: DNF Sculptures: Octabrain By DavoX - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF Sculptures: Octabrain By DavoX  "WIP of my sculpture"

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

(Posts just to let you know that I am still patiently waiting. :D )
<imagines tons of picture content> ;)

MrBlackCat

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Heh, you're going to kill me but I was not too happy with how the tentacles turned out... so I've just made one from scratch and it came out awesome.

I'm going to make a silicone copy of it and then I'll be able to bend it in different directions to make the remaining molds from the same tentacle.

This ensures that all tentacles are symetrical and the exact same lenght. Plus it won't have a weird shape in some parts (You can't really tell from the previous tentacle screnshots but they don't have a perfectly cilindrical shape unfortunately)

Believe me, it's for the best, and the quality of the final product will be much superior because of this.

This post has been edited by DavoX: 17 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I've decided to make the tentacles again, mostly because I'm not happy with the shape of the previous ones, this is what the old tentacles looked like:

Posted Image

As you can see the shape is very weird and it's flattened on some spots.

So, let's do them again!

Materials:

Epoxy putty, aluminium wire, pliers, plastiline, wire, base, etc....

Posted Image

Straight armature wire with small wire around it, to avoid clay slippage:

Posted Image

I insert the armature wire into a disposable pvc pipe attached to the base:

Posted Image

Put some epoxy putty inside of the pipe to keep the armature wire attached to it as straight as possible:

Posted Image

Basic shape with the plastiline. This time I'm trying to make it as cilyndrical as possible.

Posted Image

After that I start to add rough detail:

Posted Image

I start to smooth out the surfaces:

Posted Image

Now I make some little balls of platiline to make the suction cups:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finished:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I'll make a mold for this, and then make a silicone copy of the tentacle, this way I can use the same tentacle in different poses to make the other molds. And this will ensure that all tentacles will be the same lenght and shape.

Wait a minute... did you see this feature in another sculpt and decide it HAD to be added?
(Hehehe)Like I said... as long as you don't start thinking of changing engines, I will stay comfortable. :D

(Keeps repeating "Its just a few tentacles don't panic...")

MrBlackCat

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Hahaha... Don't worry.

The tentacles will still be static, I won't make them out of silicone. Just this one so I can pose it to make the resin ones.

<ahem!>
Oh... how did I get here...

Well, while I am here. How's it goin?

Any updates? :blink:
You aren't adding a new feature you saw on someone elses sculpt are you?

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 21 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Hahaha, No. I've had some problems with the mold for the actual brain part. It got a bit complicated and I ended up wasting a lot of expensive silicone. I'm trying now to make every step the right way so I don't lose any more material for nothing.

I do know about the expense of such silicone. Sorry to hear of the issues. Good luck with it.

MrBlackCat

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Don't worry. I'm currently talking to an expert (someone's that been doing this for 20 years) to help me with the molds.

I have been making clay, polymer, and silicone molds since the early 90's... basically 20 years... but not very well for the most part. I just pick my battles carefully rather than getting really good at it. I can probably tell you a good brand of garbage can to put failed molds into though. (hehehe)
Mold making can be a pain for sure. I have made probably 30 to 50 silicone molds over the years for things I could not make other ways. There can be lots of issues. More often than not I used two half molds and put more time into making my connection "manually" rather than trying to get two or three part molds to work well. I have only successfully made one, three part mold ever and only like 10 two part molds... lets just say "such error, much waste".

My typical method was stuff like this... Remember in the Matrix (first) when Neo and trinity went in to the building to get Morpheus and they needed "guns, lots of guns"? Well the action figures DID NOT come with "lots of guns"... so the mold making materials came out.
I just touched them to a belt sander to flatten them, glued the halves together and painted them.
Images of typical one sided molds.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Now I have "Guns, lots of guns" for Neo and Trinity. :)

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 30 March 2014 - 05:49 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Haha that's awesome :) Unfortunately since the parts are so big I can't make two halves of the brain for example, it has to be one big object :) But in 2 days I'll have a reply from that guy I told you about.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Can't wait to see the finished version of this, does look very nice every time i see it

WID? :P

MrBlackCat

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostMrBlackCat, on 22 July 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

WID? :P

MrBlackCat

Work Is Dead? :P

Weeping In Distress?
Whining In Disappointment? :P
(ok, not really)

In the words of a great man from a galaxy far, far away... "I have a bad feeling about this..."

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 23 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostMrBlackCat, on 17 January 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

Wait a minute... did you see this feature in another sculpt and decide it HAD to be added?
(Hehehe)Like I said... as long as you don't start thinking of changing engines, I will stay comfortable. :)

(Keeps repeating "Its just a few tentacles don't panic...")

MrBlackCat

View PostDavoX, on 18 January 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

Hahaha... Don't worry.

The tentacles will still be static, I won't make them out of silicone. Just this one so I can pose it to make the resin ones.
Just checking in... I am starting to worry that there has been an engine change, and these new tentacles are never going to live up to the hype of 14 years! Hehehe

MrBlackCat

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostMrBlackCat, on 03 March 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

Just checking in... I am starting to worry that there has been an engine change, and these new tentacles are never going to live up to the hype of 14 years! Hehehe

MrBlackCat

I think this is well and truly dead :)

View PostSteveeeie, on 07 March 2015 - 11:06 AM, said:

I think this is well and truly dead :angry:
Maybe... but it took 14 years to get Duke Nukem Forever in my hands, so DavoX still has over 10 years left before I consider it really "late". :lol:

MrBlackCat

(Note that I am pretending I didn't realize that last post was over a year old...)

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 05 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

User is offline   Steveeeie 

I really hope this does see the light of day at some point

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I was just thinking about this the other day and wondering if it ever had any more progress.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Ha! I've been so busy over the past years but I'm picking up sculpture again. I can't make any promises anymore but I will pick this up again and see what comes out of it.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

It would be really cool to see this finished :)

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options