Duke4.net Forums: HRP Pickup Revisions - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HRP Pickup Revisions  "requests for revisions"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I took comparison screenshots of all the pickups as they are displayed in-game. Some are perfect, others could use size adjustments to fit into 3DR's maps better, and others have rotation errors in their model files that have been compensated for in the maphacks, which is bad. I'm not requesting that the pickups match exactly, and I encourage artistic liberties.

There are also duplicates for when the original sprite is set to fall into the ground by default, so I made pictures for both flawed and "fixed" versions.

For each pair, there was no movement. The only difference is that r_models was toggled on and off in the console.

This is best viewed with a large or widescreen monitor, so that you can see the two distinct columns.

My edited version of _zoo.map, with all the pickup sprite angles corrected to face forwards, is available here.
Posted ImagePosted Image

This thread exists for users to suggest or request tangible revisions to HRP content. With the SVN repo available, finished revisions will not be posted here for inclusion as it was in the 3D Realms thread.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 23 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It was decided when this board started that we didn't need two threads for revisions and new assets (and similarly, separate threads for models and textures). Hence the "new/updated" in the HRP thread name.

View PostHendricks266, on Feb 23 2011, 07:26 PM, said:

With the SVN repo available, finished revisions will not be posted here for inclusion

I don't get that part.

• Weaponized Autism

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

• Weaponized Autism

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

• Weaponized Autism

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

• Weaponized Autism

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

It always bothered me that models were facing the wrong direction or were positioned differently than the sprites. I know there are maphacks but fixing the sprite fixes it for everything.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

You mean fixing the model fixes it for everything? That's not the case, if it was people would just have done that..

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

@Hendricks266: Given the way the sprites are facing, the correctly angled models will be turned towards the player in the screen shots, making it difficult to judge whether their scales are correct. I suggest pointing the sprites to the left, so that the correctly angled models can be directly compared with the sprites.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I have only just noticed now, but wtf is the body armour compared to? (Even the sprite version)
I wear a stab/light ballistic kevlar vest for work and it looks nothing like the sprite or model.
EDIT: You can sort of make it out in my avatar.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 24 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostPlagman, on Feb 23 2011, 11:27 PM, said:

You mean fixing the model fixes it for everything? That's not the case, if it was people would just have done that..

It would fix any problems with maps made with the sprites. At least for sprites that are rotated and put up against walls (urinals come to mind). Or at least it should, unless I'm missing some initial flaw in the map design.

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 24 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Having the rotation set "correctly" in the model makes sense for those that are usually wall- or floor-aligned. For sprites that have mostly face orientation like pickups it wouldn't do any good because they were inserted with the default angle into the original maps (of course, since there was no angle to worry about at the time they were made).

• Weaponized Autism

What about enemies dropping pickups, especially in mods? What if you are trying to reuse the same maphacks for more than one set of models/voxels? Shouldn't mistakes as simple as these simply be corrected?

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 24 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

• EDuke32 Developer

Hendricks266, I'm slightly confused by the way you speak of "maphacks for ... models/voxels". Fixing a model for a given set of instances where they appear rotated "incorrectly" would automatically break the rest. Also I'm afraid that I didn't get the argument of your last post (if it was a reply to mine at all). What's wrong with pickups dropped by enemies, and how would any rotation of a model fix that?

• Weaponized Autism

By nature, a when a pickup sprite is angled towards the player, as I have ensured in my edited _zoo.map, its model should look like (i.e. be oriented like) its pickup sprite.

If enemies, in a mod for example, drop an incorrectly rotated pickup, it will take on the enemy's angle, appearing sideways. This is more noticeable with things like medkits and armor, but it's still valid with weapons and ammo.

Fixing maphacks to no longer compensate for incorrect rotations is as simple as searching all the maps for a tilenum in Roma Loom's GRP Viewer, and adding/subtracting 512 to the corresponding sprite angoff definitions.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostHendricks266, on Feb 25 2011, 11:57 PM, said:

If enemies, in a mod for example, drop an incorrectly rotated pickup, it will take on the enemy's angle, appearing sideways.

Oh, didn't know that. In that case I agree. Models should be rotated so that they appear in the same orientation as if they were wall-aligned.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 24 2011, 08:26 AM, said:

I have only just noticed now, but wtf is the body armour compared to? (Even the sprite version)
I wear a stab/light ballistic kevlar vest for work and it looks nothing like the sprite or model.
EDIT: You can sort of make it out in my avatar.

It has traditionally (Doom, Quake etc...) been a hard metal chest garment one-up from a medieval suit of armour. I think this is more so that players would instantly recognize what it was. Imagine if the armour looked like what you wear to work but done as an 8-bit sprite, it would be difficult to think "Oh, that's armour!". But yeah, it dosen't look anything like what people actually wear nowadays (or even did in 1996).

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

One question: If you change the default rotation of models relative to the sprite's angle, won't every single custom map made with the HRP have models facing the wrong way?

• Weaponized Autism

Yes, but that shouldn't hold back the correction of errors.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

You have to realize that the sprites where 2D and had a fixed perspective and the 3D models are obviously 3D. Some like the astronaut are obviously wrong but there are others that if you changed the way they face would only look correct from the front since the sprites would be pretty much facing you whichever way you looked at them right? If you changed it to always face the direction of the sprite wouldn't it always be facing forward considering the nature of the sprites? :P

• Weaponized Autism

The models need to be facing forward relative to the sprite's angle in the engine. Look at the 2D mode screenshots I posted at the top of the thread.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options