Duke4.net Forums: How to enable Bloom on eduke32? - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to enable Bloom on eduke32?

User is offline   LkMax 

I saw a video with Light Bloom on eduke and I want to enable it, specially for explosion and effects. ;) So?

This post has been edited by LkMax: 06 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Buy Duke3D from GOG.com!

User is offline   The Real Slim Flibble 

• It's a Trap!

I believe that effect is long dead. If I recall correctly it worked for a short time and the creator never released the source (breaking the GPL) and has been spurned.

However, there is hope since Polymer was released is being updated regularly to produce better lighting.
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/

You can probably get away with the current version from July. You would need some other stuff to make it work with the original levels however.

I'm an Ivory Tower Elitist; get used to me calling you stupid.
http://thaunandshad.com

User is offline   Plagman 

• VP of Media Operations

Google for "bloom half-life", it'll give you a DLL file that's a modified OpenGL front-end that adds a bloom pass after rendering. If you just drop it next to eduke32.exe, it should load it and apply the effect. However I seem to remember it conflicts with Polymer since it relies on the application not using offscreen rendering, so you might get visual glitches.

EDuke32 - "The corrupt doctrine of terror has begun."

User is online   Trooper Dan 

• Duke Plus Developer

Apparently there is more than one such bloom mod. I have attached the one that I got a few years back, and I don't know if there is a better one out there. Maybe someone can let me know.

Just put the contents of the bloom folder in your eduke folder. There are 4 items: cg.dll, cgGL.dll, opengl32.dll, and the cgprograms folder, all of which need to be at the root level with your eduke32.exe. I have assumed that all of these are necessary but haven't checked.

It works with both Polymost and Polymer, but with Polymer there are more glitches. Imo it looks like crap with Polymer and is not worth using, but in Polymost it often makes for some niftier looking effects. Fires definitely look better, for example.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  bloom.rar (348.16K)
    Number of downloads: 147

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Thanks for the download DT, I gave it a go and it's certainly a different experience. It's a funky mix of things made more realistic and others being blurred to the extreme, and I'd rather wait a year or how ever long it takes for bloom to come to polymer

The original Micky C.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostDeeperThought, on Oct 7 2010, 12:59 AM, said:

Apparently there is more than one such bloom mod. I have attached the one that I got a few years back, and I don't know if there is a better one out there. Maybe someone can let me know.

Just put the contents of the bloom folder in your eduke folder. There are 4 items: cg.dll, cgGL.dll, opengl32.dll, and the cgprograms folder, all of which need to be at the root level with your eduke32.exe. I have assumed that all of these are necessary but haven't checked.

It works with both Polymost and Polymer, but with Polymer there are more glitches. Imo it looks like crap with Polymer and is not worth using, but in Polymost it often makes for some niftier looking effects. Fires definitely look better, for example.

Thanks, worked well here ;)
The explosions and effects (like fire, for example) are much better with it, even with no HRP or Polymer.

Yes, like Micky C said, some textures are blurred to the extreme, but maybe it's still worth.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 07 October 2010 - 05:13 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Buy Duke3D from GOG.com!

All trademarks are property of their respective owners and all comments are owned by their posters. © 2004-2012 Duke4.net

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options