Duke4.net Forums: Eduke32 Multiplayer LAN help! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eduke32 Multiplayer LAN help!

User is offline   Buzzard 

Hey there, i was going to try out MP in eduke32 (latest revision 1594) and i followed the info on the FAQ:

Or if simple LAN play is only required you can launch Eduke32 with these command line arguments.

* HOST Computer: -net -n0:# (Change the value of " # " to how many players there are, e.g. -n0:2 would be a two player game)
* JOINING Computer: -net -n0 # {Change the value of " # " to the hosts IP address)

Note: The host must launch his or her .bat/shortcut first before any of the joining computers can launch theirs or the game will not launch.

This however does not seem to work because when im creating a shortcut of eduke32 and type in the command lines after the .exe" -net -n0:2, i get the window that pops up saying "babab for more info, type in -debuginfo" thing. I was wondering if anyone know how i can start a LAN SP coop mode with my brother?.

- Thanks

User is offline   Bloodclaw 

Try Yang : http://ny.duke4.net/

User is offline   Skulldog 

You have to use Eduke32.exe -server for the host. Start the game. The client can jump in at any time with
Eduke32.exe -Connect 192.168.1.100 or whatever the host ip address is. The client will die sometimes, just
spawn again.

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 18 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

I think it would be better to use the old way, since they are playing on LAN and the new server / client system is not bug free.

He said he wanted to TRY it out. And it would be better if a frog had wings,
then he would not bump his balls when he jumps too!

From what I read, he wanted to try multiplayer in Eduke32 (either old or new way), and he has revision 1594.

Yes it is better to play internet/Lan games with YANG and Working release of any of the Eduke32. But He still will need to Know
how to use the SVN r1594, and for later releases. Now for Multiplayer games, It is better to use Duke3dw. Duke3dw has a
Multiplayer startup Menu, which makes it very easy to start a lan game.

http://www.proasm.co...uke3dw_v420.zip

This post has been edited by Skulldog: 19 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

User is offline   Fragstah 

Bumping an old thread here, got a question, when I run this:
eduke32 -gamegrp DUKE3D.GRP -server -c1 -l1 -m

I'm supposed to start a server right? is there anything else I need to add? something that prevents level end switches maybe.

Now, I haven't tried joining it from a client yet.. but how come I can't view the scoreboard?

EDIT: Also, is possible to change the default port for networking?

This post has been edited by Fragstah: 02 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Edit: D'oh, you had me answer the 2010 question...

This applies to LAN, is that what you want to do?

1. Download the latest eduke32 from the top of this list here: http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/ and make sure all players are using the same version of eduke32.
2. Open up a text editor like notepad and type "eduke32.exe -server" without quotation marks, and save it as "host.bat" (you might have to save it as "host.txt" then rename the .txt as .bat, and you don't have to call it host either.)
3. Repeat step 2, but instead type "eduke32.exe -connect (insert IP address here).
4. Make sure you have one bat and the other guy has the other, and whoever has the host.bat starts the game first, then afterwards, the other can join in.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 02 July 2011 - 06:32 AM

Ah, so I just needed "eduke32 -server" and nothing else, heh. I didn't know there was a multiplayer menu screen when pressing "New Game".

I tried setting up a server and I could join it, problem is that the client doesn't seem to sync up as intended - the server player sprite is flashing or isn't visible at all. However from the server players perspective the client is clearly visible. I'm guessing there are syncing problems? both PCs are setup with the same files/versions.

• Honored Donor

Ah but that's the beauty of the new multiplayer code (the code's being rewritten atm which is why it's a bit buggy); it never goes out of sync! It's not even sync based! That's why players can join in in the middle of a game, something which was previously not possible.

I can't help you any more with the problems you're having though.

Cool, I'll be waiting then.

I've tried other ports but eduke32 is definitely superior in almost every way, so proper netcode would be good stuff indeed.

• Honored Donor

Oooo you might be waiting a while, the MP code has pretty much been like this for a year. In the meantime I'd recommend the DNF multiplayer as it's similar to the Duke 3D version, and just as fun.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostMicky C, on 03 July 2011 - 01:04 AM, said:

Oooo you might be waiting a while, the MP code has pretty much been like this for a year. In the meantime I'd recommend the DNF multiplayer as it's similar to the Duke 3D version, and just as fun.

Yeah, I wish I knew how to program netcode. Physics and math are easy for me to learn, but the Internet is just to big of challenge for me. I really hope it gets fixed. For a person who know's how to program netcode, it logically shouldn't be that hard in its current state. I was just trying it earlier. It was very laggy for the client. Very buggy too. I could be standing right in front of the client and he wouldn't see me, he'd look like he's in a completely different part of the level. My friend has some screenshots of it too. I might post them later.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options